There are many improved variants of the original .284 Winchester: 7mm Walker, .284 Shehane, .284 Ackley and so on. The cases we had previously used for load development were first necked-up with Rays expander mandrel and then run through the Redding bushing dies. Here is member Quest45s handsome lever-action Henry .45-70 Gov and Glock 40 10mm. The stock was finished in gloss black per the customers request. With the latest high-BC 7mm bullets, the original .284 Winchester is proving tough competition for its 6.5-284 offspring. In African Obeche wood (any color choice), the price is $795.00. Thats a $.25 per round difference, equivalent to a 60% savings for the .284. The .284 Light Gun needed a muzzle brake and tuner. I have shot this in 3x600 matches with good results. Interestingly, I found that the multiple layers of paint and clearcoat stiffened the stock up quite a bit. Great information and write up Cody. I choose this because I really did not know otherwise and was steered to the Shehane by a friend. .223 Rem Not A Competitive Option Primer pockets start to get a little looser and the brass seems to need more sizing than the newer brass with less firings. At the 2008 Nationals in Lodi, Wisconsin, Charles shot a 1337-65X with Berger 180gr bullets. Aeon adds: The chamber was cut by Mark Chesesbro of Chesebro Rifles. When shooting his PPC, Joel uses those fouler shots to fire-form his new brass. It was fitted to my action by Dale Woolum of Woolum Accuracy. Hydro-Forming News .284 Shehane, 6 PPC, 6 BRA, 6 Dasher and More Typical load for a Shehane is around 57.0 grains of Hodgdon H4831 SC. By blowing the sidewalls out 0.010, the .284 Shehane picks up about 3.3 grains of extra case capacity. In the F-Open division, Norm Harrold of Team McMillan shot great from the start, topping the field to win the F-Open division. })(); To comment on a post, click Post Title or "Comment" Link. The barrel is a Blake Machine 1:8-twist finished at 32 inches. I will travel to the F-Class Nationals in Raton as well. And he tells us Those guys in Montana are keeping me very busying hydro-forming the 6BR Ackley (6 BRA). This eye-catching F-Open rifle was crafted by Blake Barrel and Rifle in Arizona. One of the biggest challenges in campaigning a wildcat cartridge has been obtaining great dies. Note how the vertical centerline of the stock is very close to the barrel. Last year (2017) at the SW Nationals I took a VERY casual survey of all the 284 Winchester (and Shehane) shooters I could find and asked them about the pros and cons of doing a Shehane vs. a straight 284 Winchester as I was about to build a 284 of one variety or the other and wanted to get an idea which way I SHOULD go. Think how much range time (and barrel life) that saved me. It had 2000 as a straight .284 Win and then I set it back to .284 Shehane to form brass with. Just five years ago Forum member Henry Pasquet (aka HenryP) got started in 1000-yard benchrest shooting. Hornady 284 Winchester Match bullets Hornady offers 4 bullets in .284 ranging from 162grain to 190grain similar to the other offerings in terms of bullet weight. Have you learned important techniques from other Forum members and other shooters? Henry: I had 20/10 vision when I was young, but am down to only 20/20. 284 Winchester Load Data - (Archived) Plus, our years of work experience help us to think, analyze, and thereby make progress. Other components are: Borden BRMXD LBRP DLC-coated action, Bartlein 32, 4 groove, 1:8.5-twist 400MOD steel barrel, and TriggerTech Diamond trigger. The .284 Win gives better barrel life with only giving up a few inches to the 7mmRSAUM. It offers great ballistics with very low recoil and big accuracy window. Father Ken also competed at the Nationals, shooting great in both individual and team events. By blowing the sidewalls out 0.010, the .284 Shehane picks up about 3.3 grains of extra case capacity. _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); Cost Comparison: .284 Win vs. 6.5-284 Amazing..!! The stock is an HS Precision painted by Premier Accuracy. Duane decided to use a BAT M action for this rifle, and I think that he could not have made a better choice. I use a K&M Arbor Press with seating force gauge when seating the bullets with a Wilson inline die. Share the post "Henrys Hammer State-of-the-Art .284 Shehane for 1K BR". Hard to imagine it still makes weight with a wood stock and a 36 power Leopold. Report by Emil Kovan I talked two stock makers into making them. My 6.5-284 barrel went south at 900 rounds. The event was well-attended, with excellent turn out for both the Mid-Range and Long-Range cycles. The rifle began its life as a Will McClosky Cerus stock. Here is a striking camo-finished Elesio (Competition Machine) Tubegun chambered for 7mm SAUM. I find that funny because if could somehow properly size the cases for three fire-forming cycles, I would not need a sizing die. Forum Member Gunnermhr states: This is my new 12-lb Dasher for the 1000 Yard Benchrest silhouette matches. Please call Darrell at 205-461-4680 for special services pricing. Best powders for the 7mm RSAUM are: H4350, H4831SC, and VV N160. That enhancement makes a BIG difference. Henry: I use a tuner or tuner/brake on every barrel. Ray keeps Jewell triggers in stock so the only piece left to acquire was the scope. He has learned a few special techniques along the way to ensure uniform case-forming. var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; It offers great barrel life, it is super-easy to tune and its recoil is very manageable. For shooters who are not sold on the .284 Winchester, I give you a real-world ballistics shoot-off. Along with these popular cartridge types, DJs Brass can hydro-form 6 PPC, 30 PPC, 6 BRA, 30 BR, .260 AI, .284 Shehane and other wildcats. What can you reveal? Record Fire The cost of reloading the .284 Win is roughly $.07 more per round than that of the 6.5-284. If your barrel or bullets are average, dont expect to perform above average in competition. First thing I thought was, That would make a nice stock., Heres a modern, low-profile, short-range Benchrest rifle, finished proudly in bright red. To read the accompanying article click here. ***.284 WIN LOADS*** 284 shehane .317 neck 54 gr 4831sc Lapua brass 6.5x284 necked up 180 Berger hybrids 5 thousands off lands Fire forming brass does this at 100 yards 5 shot group. But the majority of Aggregates are probably still being won with 30-caliber bullets shot from some kind of magnum case. The US F-Open team has been experimenting with the 7mm RSAUM. From this point we worked up in half-grain increments until pressure signs developed at 2950 fps. Henry: I had planned to use my Light and Heavy Dashers, but after placing the Dasher on the ready line, decided to switch to the .284 Shehane. Then use the tuner and tune the barrel to the load. In 2013, Henry Pasquet won the IBS 1000-Yard Nationals shooting a .284 Shehane. Cody- do You also use the Atlas for competition? Henry worked hard, learned fast, and pursued accuracy with a vengence. Our friend Erik Cortina notes that the .284 Shehane has a velocity edge over the straight .284 Win because it holds more powder: The Shehane has more capacity than the .284 Winchester. Share the post "Hail the Champions: 2018 F-Class Nationals at Raton, NM", By Emil Kovan The turn around time was very fast and the brass was to the exact specification I ask for. The update also features a lot of new lines for existing calibers. Share the post "Accurate Cartridges The .284 Shehane, an Improved .284 Win". He can also turn the necks to your specs (for an additional charge). I predominantly shoot and adjust my aim based on mirage. The .284 Shehane Accurate and Forgiving Wildcat A lot of novice (or hard-headed) shooters make the mistake to push their cartridges to the max, and disregard more accurate loads at lower velocity. The stock in laminate weighs 3lbs. I use Hodgdon H4831sc powder, CCI BR2 primers, and pointed 180gr Bergers.. Share the post "Hydro-Forming, Annealing, Neck-Turning by DJs Brass". The 284 KMR IMP allows you to almost match magnum cartridge velocity in a standard-bolt-face action. [The load was] 180 Hybrids with 54.0 grains of H4831 SC. This rig scored second place in its very first match, a 320 at 1000 yards in Wyoming. The "old" 284 Winchester on the right is loaded to COAL of 2.8 inches. I have nothing against clear-coated wood, but I wanted something different, as this was my first all-wood rifle. DJs Brass Service now offers custom case hydro-forming to your exact specs. What is .284 KMR IMP and why choose it over the straight .284 Winchester? Q: What kind of precision are you looking for in your reloads? Why do you like the .284 Shehane? That makes the stock stiffer in the vertical plane, reducing the hinging effect forward of the action. Is there anything unique about your hardware that gave you an edge? The K&M arbor with seating force gauge shows the need to do this. PLEASE CHECK YOUR BOLT DIAMETER BEFORE ORDERING. Berger 190gr HT @ CBTO of 2.390, Lapua 6.5-284 necked up to 7mm, VV N165, Federal GM210M & CCI . I spend the first part of my 3-minute prep period making sure my front rest and rear bag are in-line. The only cons I can find are that 284 brass is kinda hard to find! Emil Kovan is one of the top F-Class shooters in the world. I encountered vertical, vertical, and more vertical. But no, this was done with heavy 180gr Berger Hybrid bullets and the .284 Shehane, an improved version of the .284 Winchester. This load ran at 2825 fps. My straight .284 almost required me to stand up to eject brass. In fact, this impressive sub-quarter MOA group was shot while fire-forming with a very well-worn barrel! Henry was kind enough to talk about his rifle, his reloading methods, and his strategy for success. The extra boiler room is enough to drive the 180s at 2900-2950 fps with 30-32 barrels using H4831sc, Vihtavuori N560, or Alliant Reloder 16. He posted: Got this 6.547 Lapua back from my smith about six months ago. With N560 or Reloder 17 you can go even faster. This keeps the center of gravity low and helps the rifle recoil smoothly with less hop in the bags. My action of choice was a beefy 1.55-diameter, round BAT MB, Left Bolt, Right Port. In this sport, you can excel even in your 60s, 70s and beyond. The recoil difference between the 6.5-284 and the .284 is about the same as the difference between a 6x250AI and a 6.5-284. Products. This procedure is recommended by Joel Kendrick, the 2004 IBS 600-yard Shooter of the Year. These steps are repeated until the bore is spotless. The stocks track perfectly. The 6.5X47 Lapua necked down to 6mm is also a great option for mid range matches. Brux Barrels is not the only company that produces very accurate cut-rifled barrels. Enjoy this trip back in time to when the .284 Win was the new kid on the block. The price for a 'Big Dawg' in Rutland laminate is $545. Gun builder Ryan Pierce of Piercision Rifles explains: Heres a 5-shot 0.191 group at 100 yards with my .284 Shehane fire-forming loads. The full stock depth continues farther forward that on some other low profile designs. Its the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. This rifle features: AG Composites CF stock, Stiller TAC 30 action, Bartlein 5R barrel, TriggerTech Diamond trigger. The new Master Class Low Profile stock shares the same grip as the old model. The stainless Blake barrel is chambered for the .284 Shehane wildcat, and sports an F-Class Products tuner on the end. Full Service: Uniform primer pockets, Chamfer case mouths, Ultrasonic cleaning, Anneal case necks (Starting at $60.00/100 call for quote) We all know that conditions are not always moderate thats why something a little bit bigger will save you a Nine or two. Youve proved them wrong. I quit cleaning every relay after reading Mr. Tierneys article, but I would still clean on Saturday night after I got home. This has a McMillan Kestros ZR stock fitted with a RAD (spring-loaded buttpad) system with custom spring. This red rig features a Borden B action (Jewell trigger) fitted with a Lederer 1:14-twist barrel with a Loker tuner. Share the post "Is the .284 Shehane Inherently Accurate? He also won the North Carolina F-Class Championship with the gun, and then captured the 2008 F-Open National Championship, followed by a second F-Open title in 2009. The 6.5 caliber allowed for the use of long, aerodynamic bullets. Ryan is using 54.0 grains simply as a fire-forming load. I have a concrete bench using a slab from a yard furniture place on concrete blocks. If you look at that 5-round group you might think it was shot with a 6 PPC or maybe a 6mmBR. The barrel with which I shot my record was removed after that match so I dont put too many rounds on it before the Nationals. Jerry said go for it and, as it turned out, the rifle delivered the velocity I wanted, plus extraordinary accuracy to boot. In 2008, I went to the Williamsport Benchrest School with a friend from Pennsylvania, John Haas. I am thankful for Robert Ross providing the only match location that I can shoot regularly. Darrell says: Simply send me the brass you need or have it dropped-shipped to me along with a fired case that has not been sized. The 284 Shehane has a proven record of accomplishments and that is why I have chosen it. Team LBB: Jay Christopherson, Erik Cortina, Tom Hendricks, Pat Scully, Coach Bob Sebold. Our buddy Erik Cortina interviewed Norm in this video, starting at 00:15: Interview with F-Open Champ Norm Harrold at 00:15: In Team competition, Team X-Men won the 1000-Yard F-TR Team Title, with a 1568-61X score. But no, this was done with heavy 180gr Berger Hybrid bullets and the .284 Shehane, an improved version of the .284 Winchester. But the key fact is the extended barrel life of the .284 Win overcomes the increased bullet cost. We can turn your case-necks and trim the brass to your specs. 1 of 2 . Do you trickle to the kernel? We can expand your necks from .22 caliber to .30 caliber and anneal shoulders for consistent bump-back. We started with all white on the stock and came up with the idea of an American Flag on the buttstock. With the .284 Shehane, you have a .308 bolt face, medium action, and Lapua brass. If you put a bullet into a clean case, it will be jerky when seating the bullet. It features a Kelbly stock w/RAD system, Shilen 1:8-twist ratchet-rifled barrel with EC Tuner, and X-treme 2-stage trigger all mated up to a Kelbly Panda action. I also liked the fact that the MB (medium long front) action offered an extended front end. (For short-range benchrest, I was shooting a Bob Scoville carbon stock and Terry Leonard laminate). 10 shot group at 100 yards off bipod with back bag, (would like to have that first shot back) . In fact, this impressive sub-quarter MOA group was shot while fire-forming with a very well-worn barrel! Hydro-Form Specialty cases (such as Dasher) $0.60 (sixty cents) each minimum of 100 pieces plus actual return shipping cost For a bit more money Darrell can also uniform the primer pockets and chamfer the case necks. The action is topped with a stainless BAT tapered (+20 MOA) Picatinny scope rail. Multi-Discipline Versatility We comparison-tested a 6.5-284 rifle launching 142 SMKs at 2975 fps, a 300 WSM rifle firing 210 Bergers at 2850 fps, and my .284 Winchester shooting 180 Bergers at 2900 fps. I usually anneal the brass each winter. Once you get it formed I would push it faster than that or I wouldnt even bother with the Shehane. Most importantly, the stock features an extra-long, super-stiff, low profile fore-end. Well done father and son! It is a no-brainer for long range F-Class or Prone or 1000-yard Benchrest., If you look at that 5-round group you might think it was shot with a 6 PPC or maybe a 6mmBR. For whatever reason, between 100 to 300 rounds, as the barrel gets broken-in, the velocity climbs significantly.. Andy told me if I loaded back to the previous velocity, in his experience, it would stay there. Next Last. Scope: Duanes rifle was fitted with a Nightforce 15-55x52mm Competition scope with DDR-2 reticle. 14ozs. ], Conclusion (and Other Options) You dont want to chuck out brass that costs a buck a case (or more)! I had a local gunsmith cut a thread on the muzzle brake for a tuner I got from Sid Goodling. I offer that die-making service in addition to barrel chambering. Thanks Cody! Ryan is using 54.0 grains simply as a fire-forming load. I had a one custom die that would not size the bottom of the case enough. The weather was variable, with wet but very calm conditions to start the 1000-yard match, resulting in new F-TR and F-Open National Records being set for 20-shot strings. My target seating force on the K&M dial is 20-23 units for Dashers and 35-40 units for the .284 Shehane. You may not reproduce original text or photos without advanced permission in writing. F-Class Mid-Range matches usually are usually shot at 300, 500, or 600 yards or all three. We know that Krieger, Bartlein, Satern, and Hawk Hill Custom all make fine cut-rifled barrels as well. I use Widden dies. Among BAT Machine Co.actions, I like BAT models M, MB, and 3LL best. The 2018 F-Class Nationals recently concluded at Raton, NM. I prefer these because because of their size (large bedding footprint) smoothness, timing, options available, and last but not least visual appearance. Here is the wifes quilted Maple 96 Mauser 6.555. I have known Alex Sitman for many years, and use his stocks exclusively, but was not very familiar with his new Low Profile F-Open stock. Ballard won the NRA Long-Range Regional, setting a new National Record in the process 200-23X at 1000 yards. The price starts at $60.00 per hundred for standard cases or $75.00/100 for magnum size. Many records have been shot with both button-rifled, and cut-rifled barrels. I think this dog will hunt!, Share the post "Sunday Gunday: December Pride & Joy Rifles". With a good set-up, older guys can compete with anyone out there. 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; He tells us: In my humble opinion, the .284 Shehane is the best balanced long-range round there is bar none. I run a 184gr Berger at about 2850 FPS and get great brass life in my other rifles. But no, this was done with heavy 180gr Berger Hybrid bullets and the .284 Shehane, an improved version of the .284 Winchester. With a standard .284 Winchester, or better yet, a .284 Improved, you can drive the high-BC Berger 180gr and 184gr bullets to competitive velocities. The Vortex Golden Eagle HD scope showed the mirage I needed in order to make timely wind-hold decisions.. I explained to a friend that not lubing the neck is like overhauling an engine without lubing the cylinders. Forum member JHN did this job himself. Comparison: 6.5-284, .284 Win, and 300 WSM The barrel action rides in a Roy Hunter stock. Get some good equipment and eliminate having issues that can be caused by budget builds. Jason Cohens We the People patriotic .284 Shehane F-Class rifle. Shooters may experiment with either shooting style to find what suits them best. Just call Darrell and hell make something work for you. (function() { 284 Win on Quickload Dont want to invest in your own annealer? They tracked well. I damaged an extractor and had to send the bolt back to BAT. But my .284, with its high-BC Berger 180s, shot inside both the 6.5 and 300 by at least 3 every time. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Had 1000 pieces to fireform and didnt want to do all that on a brand new barrel. Not shooting free recoil, I needed a stock that would fit me like a prone stock but track like a benchrest stock. Velocities vary between barrels approx 2850 to 2880. Jays metal-work is so precise that I can screw any barrel hes chambered to any BAT action I own. One of the biggest reasons why I like Master Class stocks, is the pistol grip. Using bullets from Sierra HP, Hornady V-Max, Nosler BT, Sierra HPBT, Swift SP, Hornady SP, Nosler AB, Speer GS-SP, Hornady RN. Many championships have been won, and many records set with those two bullets in the .308 Win. For these posed photos, he removed his safety glasses. The only goal I have is to obtain the lowest ES and SD I possibly can. IMPORTANT: Contact Darrell for shipping instructions BEFORE sending brass for processing. For these photos, he removed safety glasses. Gun builder Ryan Pierce of Piercision Rifles explains: Heres a 5-shot 0.191 group at 100 yards with my .284 Shehane fire-forming loads. It still supported on a 3 forearm and is full length. With a 5-wide hammerhead front and a special 3-wide bag-rider plate in the rear, this 17-lb rig is ultra-stable in the bags, and tracks like a dream. Ryan is using 54.0 grains simply as a fire-forming load. Thats obviously very important if you travel to compete. My bullets were so consistent that I did not sort by bearing surface. Q: First, do you have any advice for older shooters getting started in their golden years? Create False Shoulder for Fire-Forming (Call for Price). Shooter's Reference Load Data for .284 Winchester .284 Winchester - Manufacturer Loading Data Pistol Rifle Cowboy Bullet Type Primer Case Trim Length C.O.L . We knew we wanted a Broughton 5C, but what twist rate? To me, the 284/shehane is proven. I have used the same brass for years. It takes a great rifle to approach that goal, but it is also up to the shooter to learn and experiment as much as possible in order to achieve success. If you need formed brass for a new build (gun not yet fired), let me know and I will size the brass to fit within .001 of a PT&G GO gauge.. Q: Tell us about your Nationals-winning rifle and bench gear. Its amazing what you can learn from a rifle that is as sensitive as this one., This impressive rifle features an antique 1917 Enfield action chambered for the .338 Win Magnum cartridge. Darrell tells us: At DJs Brass, we can handle all your brass refurbishing needs. You Better Believe It. Ian used a Vortex 15-60X52mm Golden Eagle scope (as did runner-up Ted Plunkett). [The load was] 180 Hybrids with 54.0 grains of H4831 SC. All this data was duplicated on several occasions. After my first string this load started hammering. Ultrasonic Cleaning, Check Necks, and Annealing ($35.00/100 normal or $45.00/100 magnum) The .284 Shehane has won in Benchrest as well as F-Class competition. At this point the barrel had 439 rounds through it. He posted: Went to local paint shops, some cost a two-month work income, some said guns were a no-no. If you want more than a standard 284 Win in a short-fat, move up to a 7mm WSM. He said he had just the stock that I could use, and sent that to Bryan Blake at Blake Machine. This stunning .284 Shehane rifle was constructed as a raffle prize to benefit Team USA members preparing for the F-Class World Championship. I use about four patches of Carb-Out, let it sit a few minutes, then use one stroke of a nylon brush followed by Patch-Out until the barrel is clean. It was a family affair this year for the Klemm clan. After hydro-forming, Darrell can also neck-turn the case for an additional charge (call for combined quote). In fact, Henry was eager to share everything he knows, so that other guys can fast-track their learning process. Our bathroom has nice concealing in the summer a perfect paint booth. I usually start to consider tossing the brass around 15 firings. Best bullets for the 6mm Dasher are: Vapor Trail 103gr, Berger 105 Hybrid, 108 BT, and 105 VLD (hunting). F-Class shooter Erik Cortina notes that the .284 Shehane has a velocity edge over the straight .284 Win because it holds more powder: The Shehane has more capacity than the .284 Winchester. Some barrels are faster than others. It was fitted to my action by Dale Woolum of Woolum Accuracy. 1; 2; Next. And Darrells turn-around time is typically very fast. These loads were shot by Brian Pearce of Wolfe Publishing Co.; Gun: Match Grade Machine Barrel; Barrel Length: 26 inches; Case: Winchester; Primer: Remington 9 1/2; Bullet Diameter: .284 inch; COAL: 2.800 inches; Maximum COAL: 2.800 inches; Maximum Case Length: 2.170 inches; Trim to Length: 2.160 inches. Team Lapua-Brux-Borden captured the F-Open Mid-Range Championship with a strong performance. That enhancement makes a BIG difference. I use Redding bushing dies, apply Imperial sizing wax, resize, wipe off wax, clean and uniform the primers pockets using the RCBS Trim Mate Case prep center, then apply Imperial dry neck lube with a bore mop. Rifle Report by Jason Cohen [This] caliber has awesome accuracy. Use a Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x50 scope with the MOAR- T reticle (super fine reticle) Load should be 52.3 gr H4350, CCI BR2 primer, Norma 284 brass, Berger 180 Hybrid and seat it 15 thou off. Lets just say it didnt go as planned. Also, most custom die makers want you to send them two or three cases, each fire-formed three times. Congratulations to the new F-Class Champions. That enhancement makes a BIG difference. Forum member Jim Hardy has shot the .284 with great success. I shot a 200-7X with no elevation change on my last string. Low Center of Gravity Tames Torque This includes Tikka T3X and many Tikka and Sako rifles. I run a 184gr Berger at about 2850 FPS and get great brass life in my other rifles. Andy informed me that this had happened to him with several rifles. The 7mm RSAUM is another outstanding long-range round.