She had to press on. The 6-foot-9 Aquino is a fan favorite, for what she might have become, and what she does. She made do with a sweater. Aquino wasn't explicitly named in the initial report, but it was easy to identify her. Looking for Ronald Batten online? the woman asked her. Kevin and Emily were welcoming, patient. She sends whatever money she can back home to her mom. She still drained jumper after jumper, one of the few girls in the Duarte gym full of men, including then-USC star point guard Jordan McLaughlin, who now plays for the Minnesota Timberwolves. Aquino came to realize they genuinely wanted to help. They remained close, talking every day, but it hurt Aquino to see how much her mom was struggling in Paraguay. Once, in practice, she tried to dunk the ball but missed, grabbing the rim. They proudly wore heels. "America is the land of the dream," Aquino says, "We were three young ladies trying to survive and keep going.". She researched Oregon State and loved it right away. The Beaver State clocked in 4.2 million people in 2020, marking a jump of 10%. It was the first time Aquino saw height as beautiful, as powerful. Associated with Perfecto B Aquino (2016, 2020-2021), Perfecto B Aquino Jr. (2006, 2016, 2018 . The coaches told the players not to talk to anyone. Aquino was confused; she didn't know she was moving in. I have to dial them back, in fact, they go so hard. I Indoor Qualifying (FINAL) 2022-2023 NCAA Div. And let that be who you are. A body that could dunk, could dominate. "Keep going!" When she arrived in Corvallis, she began to make friends, began to come out of her shell. While he certainly was focused on the next days game, it was hard not to think about what the future held. She didn't want to discuss it in a recent interview. It is certainly not the role Aquino envisioned when she verbally committed in March 2017 to play for the Beavers. 3. Senior Aleah Goodman, who averaged 8.9 points and 3.4 assists last season and ranks fourth in program history in three-point shooting, will take over at point guard, and forward Taylor Jones, who averaged 12.3 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.9 blocks last season en route to Pac-12 all-freshman honors, returns in the post. But health issues have never allowed her to be cleared to play. There has been some discussion of that. Until she couldn't. She could let her guard down. She realized that this was the body God gave her. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. But she worked at her skills and developed a silky form and the ability to run the floor like a guard. Oregon's 6th congressional district was created after a population boom was recorded in the 2020 census. Soon after, Aquino moved to the capital of Paraguay, Asuncin, where she spent about a year learning the sport. Neither do we. So Aquino made the move. Because everyone on OSUs roster knows Aquinos situation, she provides hope with her upbeat attitude. Ellie Mack, a 6-foot-3 senior guard from Bucknell, was the Patriot League Player of the Year last season and brings shooting and versatility to Corvallis. Joined Oregon State as the No. Oregon State bounced back from a tough loss to Stanford with a solid win over California Sunday afternoon, taking down the Golden Bears 68-59 in their last home game of the season. He was at that workout. Colorado Feature Players. Rueck says the energy she brings and the way she uplifts her teammates have been critical. Andrea has been found in 16 states including Florida, California, Illinois, Maryland, Oregon. She wasn't hiding. "That skill set that she has is so uncommon.". Oregon State gymnast Jade Carey won her sixth consecutive individual all-around Friday night in a dual meet against No. She didn't have to endure anymore with the Morrises. {{start_at_rate}} {{format_dollars}} {{start_price}} {{format_cents}} {{term}}, {{promotional_format_dollars}}{{promotional_price}}{{promotional_format_cents}} {{term}}, She finds Greta Kampschroeder and works with the freshman. Once the game tips off, she assumes her usual spot on the bench, and despite being one of the country's most coveted recruits in 2017, she doesn't play. She's just smooth," says Tracy Murray, a former UCLA basketball star who had a lengthy NBA career. Space was limited. So itll take more than a global pandemic and a little roster turnover to deter his optimism. See more of Corvallis Gazette-Times on Facebook. This was a body that could overpower triple-teams. The Department of Homeland Security contacted her, and she had a meeting with them. Among them is a bona fide star, forward Taya Corosdale, who has 101 career starts. Chose Oregon State because the coaching style fits her game well, and because she liked the social environment. That's why I don't give up.". Its going to be tough, she said. And Jovana Subasic, a 6-5 forward from Washington State, brings size, versatility and Pac-12 experience. Nilda would travel to Brazil and Argentina, buying and selling merchandise. Avatar. Please also read our Privacy Notice and Terms of Use, which became effective December 20, 2019. All Rights Reserved. "Just because I was scared of people teasing me.". Andre M Adams, 51 years old, currently living in Warren, AR. And on top of it all, the Beavers are integrating five new players and three new starters to an overhauled lineup. I couldnt leave this place because I came here for a reason., Said Rueck: From the (recruiting) visit on, its been a great fit. she thought. Go with the flow, she told herself. She didn't have any skills but was athletic, leading her middle-school handball team to three championships. Teammates and friends loved her. And even though I'm not playing right now, it has allowed me to focus on school and trying to see who I am outside basketball, she said. She hugged them, smiled with them. Her addition made a Final Four run a distinct possibility, Rueck believed. The first couple practices were a little awkward, Beavers coach Scott Rueck said. Andrea Aquino #02 F Oregon State. Aquino would think of her mother making her favorite dishes back home: fish soup and sopa Paraguaya, similar to cornbread. She missed badly. Aquino chose a gorgeous, gray-blue dress, shorter in the front, longer in the back, with a small slit down the side, allowing a sliver of her leg to peek through. And even though I'm not playing right now, it has allowed me to focus on school and trying to see who I am outside basketball. But one thing that is not in question, Rueck said, is the Beavers' work ethic, a program cornerstone epitomized by team leader Goodman, who oozes grit and thrives on competition. Aquino tried to keep faith while in Paterson, while competing at the highest level in the state. They see me on the street and ask How are you doing? Aquino said. Students at OSU often ask Aquino: "How can you be so confident, being that tall?" Yeah, I didnt believe him, Aquino shared a few weeks back. Patricia often wore her hair in a bun on top of her head, making her even taller. gp-pts/g-fg %-3pt %-ft %-reb/g-a/g-Player Profile; Game Log; Career Stats; Split Stats; Recent Games; Feb 28: at Oregon W, 88-77 Mar 3: California W, 71-63 Mar 4: at Oregon W, 71-64 Mar 5 . Please subscribe to keep reading. She tried to ignore it. The teammate, who had come from Nigeria, was living at the home of Eastside's track and field coach. The Beavers on Monday earned an at-large berth to the NCAA Baseball Tournament, receiving a No. The rope wasn't long enough. Expand . Two players who wont make an impact, however, are sophomores Kennedy Brown and Andrea Aquino. Not to give an interview to anyone. First, Kampschroeder is tasked with trying to defend Aquino as she attempts 3-pointers. The sky was the limit for Aquino, the No. EN RU CN DE ES. "But she understood that there's a family here, and this is a special group and a special place that embraced her," Rueck said. She had the flu. Year: 2022 Height: 6-2 Position: SG/W High School: Appleton East (WI) Recruiting Status: Signed with Oregon State [ press release] Notes: transferred from Ashwaubenon HS (WI) before sophomore year Recruiting Summary for Lily Hansford August 2018 offer: Green Bay offers in 2020: June: Illinois Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. That finally changed Sunday afternoon, as Oregon State brought her out for the tip off, and Cal allowed her to score the first basket of the night. (The Pac-12 has not yet released a schedule.). 18-30 31-40 41-50 51-59 60+ Reset Age Filter. She was going to be the next big thing for an Oregon State program rapidly rising among womens college basketballs elite. I feel like she believes in me. Andrea Kennedy-Smith is a paralegal in the state's Child Welfare Division and president of the SEIU Local 503 arm that represents Department of Human Services and Oregon Health Authority employees. She became close with the teammates she was living with, but they were struggling to adapt, too. Nilda would be so happy she'd start crying, hoping her daughter could succeed academically in ways that she couldn't. Andre M Adams' phone number is (870) 210 - 0362. Find Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and TikTok profiles, images and more on IDCrawl - free people search website. Brown, who suffered a torn ACL in her left knee in a February matchup against Arizona State, is still rehabilitating; and Aquino, a highly touted prospect from the Class of 2018, has not been. Success, We've found 15 records. Aquino, technically a redshirt sophomore but academically a senior, stands at 6-foot-9, so its a daunting task to say the least for the 6-foot guard. Gambling problem? That finally changed Sunday afternoon, as. America didn't deliver the opportunities it had promised. Off to Paterson, New Jersey she went in search of that brighter future, one she hoped would someday allow her to take care of the family she left behind. Her mom was two-and-a-half hours away by bus. We have 59 records for Andrea Aquino ranging in age from 21 years old to 95 years old. But health issues have never allowed her to be cleared to play. She iced and iced, managing to walk again in a week. Everything looked beautiful to Aquino when she first landed in Paterson. Neither do we. There was this feeling, like, Are we actually playing basketball again? That would be a little nervous for me, but it would be nice, Aquino said. 2 seed at the Fort . The game started on a bittersweet note. It was Aquino's first appearance as a Beaver.. Has three siblings: Gustavo, Adriana and Christian Samuel, Didnt start playing basketball until the age of 15. But thats their makeup they love basketball and competing every day.. A native of Paraguay, Aquino moved to the United States as a high school freshman. "She knows every room she goes into, there's always going to be heads that are turning," says Usach Nelson, one of her closest friends on campus. What made the situation bearable was that Aquino felt accepted on the court. They did a great job of conditioning, found ways to keep their skills up and found ways to continue to develop. FILTER BY TEAM (S) Select Team (s) FILTER BY ATHLETE (S) Select Athlete (s) Mack led Oregon State in scoring, with 14 points and six rebounds. The Oregon State Beavers' late-season swoon did not cost it a postseason berth. gp 1. pts/g 2.0. fg % 100.0. Aquino felt the woman had good intentions. Just eat what you got. She felt unsettled, unsure of what was happening. She looked at her arms, her legs. A chance at the WNBA. The Beavers opened practice on Oct. 14 and Rueck, who was unable to hold summer scrimmages and a normal array of live workouts because of the coronavirus crisis, said he and his staff are still evaluating the makeup of his team and juggling lineup combinations. That's when Aquino realized the man and her new coaches didn't have a plan. Still, her. And I think she knew that. Nilda is proud of her daughter's newfound confidence. E ASSUNTOS DO MERCOSUL-SEIM JUNTA COMERCIAL DO PARANA Ata Nmero: 325 Despachos de 01 de fevereiro de 2023 a 28 de fevereiro de 2023 DOCUMENTOS DEFERIDOS: EMPRESA PBLICA: ATA DE ASSEMBLEIA GERAL EXTRAORDI NARIA: 23/036324-5 Companhia De Desenvolvimento De Fazenda Rio Grande, 2 3/066848-8 . Next, the roles reverse and Kampschroeder must try to get a shot off against someone with Aquino's height. "I had to change her school two times because she was the tallest," Nilda says, "She felt that she didn't fit.". I can't change it. Sign up for our newsletter to keep reading. On file we have 75 email addresses and 59 phone numbers associated with Andrea in area codes such as 305, 786, 818, 916, 650, and 28 other area codes. 442 All Records; 0 Census Records; 31 Birth Records; 41 Death Records; 364 Living People; . She felt nervous and dropped her phone, breaking the screen. By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies. Looking for Andrea Aquino online? On Senior Day at Oregon State, 6-foot-9 Andrea Aquino from Paraguay made her first collegiate appearance (due to a medical condition) and scored a basket before being subbed out. She had her own bathroom, but it didn't have a shower. About three years earlier, Aquino was walking down the street a couple blocks from the home she shared with her mother, sister and two brothers in Caacupe when a man on a motorcycle, named Alfredo Salinas, stopped her. "You know you can be a superstar in basketball?" The school lists her as a redshirt sophomore. ", He would've understood and even supported her had Aquino considered transferring. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. When first facing the prospect of a career-ending medical condition, there were plenty of questions for Rueck. Go. After that, things started swinging back into the Beavers favor. During the course of high school three years in New Jersey, one in California Aquino blossomed into one of the countrys top recruits. Pgina: 1 Sistema Nacional de Registro de Empresas Mercantis - SINREM SEC. I didn't know what was going on. She'd think of her baking breadthe way she'd knead the dough, rolling it onto her table, then folding it into figure-eight twists to bake. -- Nick Daschel | ndaschel@oregonian.com | @nickdaschel. Aquino says she doesn't hold anything against the people in New Jersey and has forgiven them. Thread starter DaBball; Start date Oct 19, 2020; D . (She was not sexually abused, she says. She started playing AAU basketball with the New Jersey Sparks, turning heads on the circuit. After the NJ Advance reports came out, she couldn't leave the house without reporters and cameras waiting for her. Kevin D Frazier, 58 years old, currently living in York, PA. Kevin D Frazier's phone number is (443) 388 - 9688. She also saw a new way of living, as Emily, 6'3", and Patricia, 6'7", didn't slouch. Refine Your Results. State: This is me. She found milk and snacks at an after-school program. Watch as Oregon State freshman forward Andrea Aquino dunks during a shootaround ahead of the Beavers' matchup against Washington on Jan. 25. But for me it just happened a little too soon. If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. Her work has been honored by the Associated Press Sports Editors, the U.S. Basketball Writers Association, the Football Writers Association of America, the Los Angeles Press Club and the Best American Sports Writing series. #GoBeavs #TheBennys #IFYKYK https://t.co/J1AJwS2eBV. Mirin Fader is a staff writer for B/R Mag. Vital Records & More. as if the two somehow are mutually exclusive. She finally told her mom. I mean, Mr. Kevin, Mrs. Emily, just gave me hope to keep dreaming. (Taylor Balkom | for The Oregonian/OregonLive). Until this day she just works so hard to have a better life," Aquino says, starting to cry. Save her mother. Follow her on Twitter: @MirinFader. It all confused Aquino, but she didn't know how the U.S. school systems worked, despite all of the research she and Nilda did beforehand. She shook her head, slumped her shoulders. "It's amazing because any program could just say you know what, you're not playing right now and we would like to use your scholarship on someone else.". Support OregonLive. She had to walk through the house, through rooms filled with strangers, to bathe upstairs. Michael Wayne Rogers is 58 years old and lives in Portland, Oregon. 1323 Waterstone Pl San Ramon CA. Andrea Aquino joined the Beavers as a highly rated recruit in 2018, but due to undisclosed health issues, she has never been able to take the court. 3. She played with an urgency, laboring through two workouts every Sunday, the first beginning at 6:30 a.m. One workout, she was wheezing after every jump shot. Treating her like a strange bird, like the indigenous yellow crested doraditos hovering nearby. Instead, she cheers onher teammates, celebrating each defensive stop. So Aquino moved for the third time in a matter of months, into the home with the eggs and noodles. 2023 Advance Local Media LLC. Someone was filming the play, and Aquino put it on her Facebook page. As such, the information may not always be . Focus turned to Aquino, the tallest. Weve progressed really nicely in a short amount of time. There wasn't much food. Date. "We built a really close relationship and bond," Kevin says. "Shes just an amazing person and so sincere and genuine, and I love our relationship.. Her work done, Aquino moves on as the Beavers continue to warm up. LSU ties best record in program history, bests MS State. Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. Andrea Aquino made an honorary start and scored her first career points as Oregon State took on California on Senior Day on Sunday, Feb. 20. Aquino is proud to say shes only the second person in her family to get a college degree. For him, it wasa no-brainer to honor the university's commitment to her. She was in debt and had lost her job after coming to visit Aquino in America. Roughly three weeks before the start of the season, the schedule hasnt been finalized yet. There's so many things that sometimes I try to forget, you know, because I don't want to keep rewinding over and over again. What do I do? The Dominican woman, concerned for her own children's safety and sensing that Aquino's stay could be illegal, called Aquino's mother to discuss the possibility of sending Aquino back to Paraguay. But America didn't glitter the way it had in her head. If I was in her shoes, I don't even know if I could do it, Jones admitted. Her basketball asset was height and athleticism, but not much experience. Cal held momentum for most of the third quarter, extending their lead to as much as seven with a Leilani McIntosh three. She didn't want her mom to worry. Shes as much a part of the team as any starter. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features Press Copyright Contact us Creators . In last week's ranking index, Arkansas had a 171.30 to 133.50 advantage over the Huskies. She often did that: shrank. A jumper from Mack and a layup with a free throw from Corosdale got the Cal lead down to two. Still, her presence the last four years has been a key to the Beavers' success. The family went to the beach, once snapping a photo of Aquino jumping high in the air, arms sprawled out, tongue hanging out, happy. Slowly learning English. Now Andrea Aquino is starring at New Jersey's Eastside and spurting up the recruiting rankings. Theyll head east to visit the Mountain schools, facing Utah on Thursday, February 24th and Colorado on Saturday, February 26th. Official Site of the Pac-12 Conference and Pac-12 Network. It was hard to explain her situation to college coaches. While she doesnt know what the future holds, Aquino will be honored along with the other seniors on the team on Sunday in the home finale against Cal. When Aquino read the NJ Advance Media reports, she was surprised to read the word trafficking. To learn more or opt-out, read our Cookie Policy. If she found out her daughter, then a 6'7" sophomore basketball star at Eastside High School in Paterson, was being shuttled from home to home, with little understanding or control of her situation. Shes one of the best athletes Ive ever coached, if not the best, Rueck said. But in a 2020 Bleacher Report article, she described being passed from house-to-house, with no health insurance, sometimes not having enough food to eat and even a surprise visit from a social worker with children protection services. I am tall. Get her an education. Oregon. PN300 - 60 nominees by the U.S. President for Air Force, 118th Congress (2023-2024) One question Rueck did not ask was whether to keep Aquino on scholarship or let her go, clearing up a spot for someone else. I am a basketball player. Goforth, a 6-1 McDonalds All-American from Fayetteville, Arkansas, is the most heralded of the group and is teeming with potential. Aquino could have been the next great center for OSU's strong. Or you sprained your ankle, something trivial. The ball soared out of bounds. But its what she has learned to accept after life delivered a nasty curveball derailing her college career before it even began. But the stress mounted. Its all about how quickly we can bring them along and spark confidence in them and watch them perform and go beyond their experience level. It was not looking good, to the point there was a strong chance she might never get cleared to play. Its unfortunate she never got the chance to show what she was capable of, but its great that shell always be part of Oregon State history. Every athlete has to realize that basketball, or whatever their sport, is going to come to an end sometime. It's still awkward when people stare. Anything we're going through, you can always bring it to Andrea, Pivec said. Shes someone that everyone looks up to, and everyone admires what she's been through and what shes going through. Part of Aquinos popularity with fans is curiosity, primarily, are you going to play? "Just having that peace that I have a scholarship, and Scott Rueck and my teammates made me feel part of the team," she said. We must continue until He says stop. Whenever I make a basket or something, shes the first person to kind of congratulate me or hype me up. At first, she didn't think the term applied to her situation because she thought trafficking solely meant sexual abuse. I can't even imagine this team without her.. The first time he saw her at a game in Paterson, she hit a trail three. Shes gives me so much confidence, Mack said. And so, what do you do with that? Get info on Pedro I Hernandez - Corvallis, Oregon - (787) 265-7893. An asset. I can't even imagine this team without her., Andrea Aquino, left, is so appreciative of what Oregon State has done for her by keeping her on scholarship despite not being able to play. The 2022-23 Oregon State Beavers women's basketball team represented Oregon State University during the 2022-23 NCAA Division I women's basketball season. Aquino shook her head. She didn't have to steel herself for comments in the supermarket. The bad news? Its been hard, but my perspective of life is looking at the positive things right now. CORVALLIS Its a ritual that takes place throughout the country for the seasons final home college basketball game: Senior Day. Didn't have health insurance or access to much food. Her quick development opened the door for the then-16-year-old Aquino to move to the United States to possibly earn a college scholarship. She knows what it feels like to have children, parents, grandparents rush the court, surrounding her. Thank you for being you #GoBeavs x #WeAreFamily pic.twitter.com/NXXa0V3QR4. The consul found Aquino a lawyer, who helped her secure an F-1 Visa, which she'd need to accept a college athletic scholarship. Aquino learned to drive the motorcycle at age 13, her lanky body barely staying on. Its part of the reason I think Ive been playing a little better is because of Dre.. Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device. "I didn't want anyone to tease me," she says. "She had been used so much," Emily says, "and I think she was afraid when my husband started helping her at first. For so long, she had pretended to have confidence. Arkansas remains the nation's number one team ahead of the Huskies, with Florida, Texas Tech and Alabama rounding out the top five. Log In. News never stops. Aquino drew the eye of Oregon State coach Scott Rueck, who was immediately enamored with what he saw on the court. To have that flipped upside down in such a short period of time was devastating for everyone, he said, to the team and to the program. Latest on Oregon State Beavers forward Andrea Aquino including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on ESPN . Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (each updated 1/26/2023). Wisconsin, West Virginia, Rutgers, North Carolina, Indiana, Oregon State, Dayton and Eastern . A few free throws later and Oregon State carried a five point lead in to the fourth. Free. She turned around and saw one of her teammates stop squatting before the allotted time was up. Taya Corosdale added a couple more free throws, but then the Bears took the lead back with back to back buckets from Jayda Curry. "She became part of the family." She explained how practice may be her teammates' best time of day, but for her, it was the opposite. She's a leader. Basketballs what brought her here and to have that taken away, I mean, why do things like this happen?. She's been with the team even when not playing, tasting success as she sat on the bench when the team advanced to the Sweet 16 in the 2019 NCAA tournament. Or the times she couldn't, when she'd see tears streaming down her face. Thats the fun of teaching. Marc A Christman's social profiles . And to this day I can still call them and ask for anything. It's been a lot of things, Aquino acknowledges. The Beavers improve to 13-10 overall, and 6-7 in Pac-12 play. Then he considered it from Aquino's perspective. Andrea Aquino Student-Athlete at Oregon State University Corvallis, Oregon, United States 50 followers 49 connections Join to view profile Oregon State Athletics Oregon State. 58 year old . Started taking a different route home from school on the side streets. The man told them she'd be attending Princeton Day Academy in Bowie, Maryland. Because it's hard., Aquino never really considered playing the game of basketball until a chance encounter on the streets of her native Caacupe, Paraguay. Aquino is an important teammate from a support standpoint. She didn't play basketball. She wants us to win as much as we want to win, and she has a fire in her, and I think she's just like the fuel that we need on our team.