I dont pretend to have the answers and would love for some sharing of info. The territory has a lot of natural beauty to protect. Our guide, lifelong Yukoner Teena Dickson of Who What Where Tours, recalled visiting the long-standing and much-storied place as a child when it was the family-owned Yukon Game Farm. If youre looking for things to do in Whitehorse for kids, this would be a great option. Im not really one for museums but with this much history, that I knew nothing about, (3) the MacBride Museum seemed like the best place to start on my visit to Whitehorse. "200 Nature Hot Spots in Alberta" - Published June 2022. It was also a lot spicier. It was the only way between the two cities as the highway was only opened in the early 1980s. There are broad valleys and big lakes around the city. They have all the main things to do in Vietnam listed, and you can compare and contrast tours, activities and adventures. Must be a change up there then, from the big city! Id only ever done a few metres before, badly. On this Tuesday morning I saw only a handful of people, cars running at around 10mph (always stopping to let people past), and the sound of nature had a voice in the quiet. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. (29) Just up from the Cultural Centre youll find the hand-carved healing totem pole, topped with its striking Raven. The Miles Canyon area is minutes away from downtown . , serving Elk Roulade, Duck Breast, Alaskan Sockeye Salmon and, of course, Bison Bolognese. Maybe well have to visit :-), but probably in summer (with lows of down to -52 C, we dont have enough winter clothes to keep warm!). Elsewhere, sister establishments, serve elevated pub fare abetted by a slate of inventive cocktails. 2. How about Yukon Sourdough Rendezvous in Feb every year? Plus the Kwanlin Dun Cultural Centre which sits right on the banks of the Yukon river. But isnt the Yukon Gold Panning Championships in Dawson City? Think again! Ive been to Whitehorse three times always on the way to grand outdoor adventures. Its beautiful and the people there are so friendly and nice. About Us I stayed at the Edgwater Hotel. standard form contract facebook; how to treat mange in cats at home twitter; moon drop grapes uk instagram; arrow olivia sewing table youtube; custom teku glassware mail; Edit this in WPZOOM Theme Options 800-123-456. The Whitehorse City Council is made up of a Mayor and six Councillors. , which hosted us and which also operates tours through the Wildlife Preserve included a knowledgeable driver who broadcasted a sense that we could take all the time we wanted to photograph stuff, imbibe by the woodstove, and marvel at the absolute silence of the ethereal snow-covered landscape in the middle of the night. (17) If you want to know more about the wildlife of Whitehorse then the Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre is a great place to explore. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I didnt realise how much more I was about to learn about the Gold Rush up here in my next destination, Dawson City. The total land area in the City of Whitehorse is 11.6 km2 (4.5 sq mi). Whitehorse is the only place in Canada that has its own garbage truck Santa:) you should check it out at Christmas time. Well, it helps fish (salmon in this case) to travel upstream and to direct them where to go. Over 80% of the Yukon is untouched, pristine territory, and the views are incredible. Lots of sun and very few overcast days. Present-day Whitehorse was founded in 1898 when gold was found nearby. Something I wouldnt normally go for. The moose site alone occupies five square kilometres. Whitehorse is known as 'the gateway to the Yukon', and to Alaska too. We did well didnt we? I replied to my neighbour who said she appreciated the extra room. Glassblowing? Whitehorse sits on the traditional territory of the Kwanlin Dun First Nation and the Taan Kwachan Council. Many screenings at ALFF were not packed, meaning last-minute decisions on movies were doable, rarely the case at those big-city festivals. CANADA. Heres why. Present-day Whitehorse was founded in 1898 when gold was found nearby. This led to fast progress in the city, and it grew fast. The rails were three feet apart on a 10-foot-wide road bed and meant lower construction costs. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. It measures 1,980 miles (3,190 km) from the headwaters of the McNeil River (a tributary of the Nisutlin River). Hmmm, tempting! The 100 Wild Islands is one of the last remaining intact and ecologically rich island groups of its size in North America. Ive probably done more in the Yukon than most people ever will. Takhini Hot Springs is at the end of the Hot Springs Road, 10 kilometres (6 miles) from the turn off the North Klondike Highway. Adding a film festival to a travel itinerary is genius. Just 50 cents got me a lemonade, AND a blueberry muffin. Average is about -10 to -15. Whitehorse is situated in the wide valley of the Yukon River, and the Yukon River flows right through town. Halifax is home to one of the world's longest downtown boardwalks. (27) Make sure to check out the Whitehorse Farmers Market while youre there too. Both are paved, two-lane highways, open year-round. The record low temperature in Whitehorse was -52.2 C set on January 31, 1947. Required fields are marked *. Present-day Whitehorse was founded in 1898 when gold was found nearby. Although Montreal is one the world's five largest French-speaking cities, most residents are bilingual. And in 1911, they officially started calling it Whitehorse.. (1) Theres a paved path to walk all along the Yukon river, the Millennium Trail. On the summer solstice the sun rises at 4:27am and sets at 23:36am. Skyscanner Skyscanner are my favourites thanks to the interface and wealth of results. fun facts about whitehorse who was the baby leta lestrange swapped June 15, 2022. joyeux anniversaire ma belle soeur humour 12:11 am 12:11 am The race alternates its starting points every year with even-numbered years, starting in Fairbanks and odd-numbered years starting in Whitehorse., Whitehorse may not be a foodie destination (yet) but no one is going hungry. If you want animal-related things to do in Whitehorse, then this is where you should be. Anyone who has ever tried to take in multiple films at a big-city festival like the Toronto International Film Festival knows it can be overwhelming, with demand outstripping supply, massive crowds forming massive queues to enter theatres, and venues spread far apart. Summers in Whitehorse are sunny and warm, and winters in Whitehorse are snowy and cold. "Whitehorse, Capital of Yukon." Every Thursday local food trucks come to Whitehorse to help you fill up on tasty produce. You can spend the afternoon shopping in Whitehorse to stock up on tasty, beautiful goodies. Theres winter clothing for rental. @Tammi I will check it out this summer and Im already thinking a photos essay of the city will be in order after my visit. Youre more likely to find them a bit further from the city, but I did see a lynx bobcat run across the road on my Who, What, Where tour. Loved the moose and the caribou in particular. English is spoken by 84.3% of the population; 4.6% speak French only and 9.7% speak one of the non-official languages. By clicking Accept, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. thank you for posting this helped me a lot with my homework. <3. Several operators host Northern Lights tours, which typically include transportation to and from Whitehorse to a viewing area outside the city, where bonfires and heated sheds stocked with hot drinks help stave off the cold. In other words, it never gets dark! Fort Selkirk was named for Lord Selkirk, who founded the first permanent settlement in Yukon, FortSelkirk(present-day Haines). The territory has a lot of natural beauty to protect. Absolutely, definitely my favourite hotel booking site. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. How about the little Yukon Hot Springs close by Takhini Hot Springs? Today, Whitehorse has a population of just over 26,000 people. the spice house vs penzeys politics; driving distance from vancouver bc to cranbrook bc. Should you be lucky enough to visit here are 26 fun, interesting and potentially useful facts about the city of Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory. It took just 8 months to build the huge Alaska Highway, because so many people lived here. Whitehorse is the Yukons capital city but youre only ever 15 minutes from the wilderness here. Whitehorse has a dry subarctic climate. The city's name comes from the word " Kebec ," which is actually an Algonquin . Whitehorse is a 2.5 hour flight from Vancouver. The Hot springs are only 30 minutes by car. Who Is The Founder Of Yukon?? I caught the aurora in all its glory. It helps migrating Chinook salmon on the final leg of their epic journey. Meeting place, cultural hub, and adjoined by. LOOKING FOR COOL WHITEHORSE ACCOMMODATION? Gathering at the starting line to watch the teams depart the dogs going bonkers with adrenaline was genuinely thrilling for both adults and children. Still a nice place though. Another Whitehorse accolade to be proud of, is the fact they have the longest wooden fish ladder in the world. On the summer solstice the sun rises at 4:27 AM and sets at 23:36 AM. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. OMG are you Jenny Fleurs sister? Because of its location in the valley of the Yukon River, it is relatively mild compared to communities like Yellowknife. Opened in its current incarnation in 2004, the sprawling outdoor space is home to multiple species including moose, bison, lynx, elk, caribou, arctic fox, mule deer and muskox, most visible to visitors who can book guided hop-on, hop-off tours, hike, or travel via rented kick-sleds. I wouldnt want to hit it on w=one of its super cold days but I think its the winter dark that would bother me more. Theres a lot of things to do in Whitehorse for the adventurous traveller. I left Whitehorse desperate to come back, but next time, Id give those below 40 winters a try, hunting for those elusive Northern Lights. It was built to celebrate local First Nations culture, and to teach all the Canadian, and world, communities about their practices. The Alaska Highway was built here in 1942 as a defence in World War II, which was then never used. If you want to see the tippy-top of the world, this is the way. Whitehorse apartments is a beautiful complex located on the famous Route 66. fun facts about whitehorse. The Yukon . The White Pass doesnt go to Whitehorse it stops at Carcross which is about one hour and a half outside of Whitehorse. I could go on. You definitely need to add the tour to your list of what to do in Whitehorse. Whitehorse is known as the gateway to the Yukon, and to Alaska too. fun facts about whitehorse It also gives the opportunity for us humans to tag them so we can monitor that theyre doing ok. Whitehorses fish ladder was built in 1959 and in its position the fish have already travelled about 4000km, with just 50 left to go. There are always plenty of options to get excited about on Airbnb. 7. @Erin Im hoping to canoe to Lake Laberge this summer. Expect adventure, road trips, camping, festivals and food! Reaching the Arctic The Arctic Circle crosses through the Yukon, meaning the Yukon is a fantastic place to spot the northern lights in the winter months. 11. Receive helpful Yukon tips, information on unique events and activities, and inspirational ideas that are sure to stay out of your junk mail folder. Cherhill (1780) located east of Cherhill village beneath Oldbury Castle earthwork. Get useful up-to-date news on Yukon events and activities, customized to your interests. , excellent for morning and midday meals. There are also 65 parks and many rinks. The Sambro Lighthouse is the oldest functioning lighthouse in North America. The Frantic Follies, our beautiful Arts Centre, fantastic archives, a dream to live here if you are a senior citizen, the Yukon River Quest, our Waterfront Trolley and Copperbelt Museum, The Transportation Museum, Beringia Centre. @Susanne If we all could only be right all the time but you have forgotten to err is human. We visited Whitehorse in 2014, then Whitehorse and Dawson City in 2015. Opened in its current incarnation in 2004, the sprawling outdoor space is home to multiple species including moose, bison, lynx, elk, caribou, arctic fox, mule deer and muskox, most visible to visitors who can book guided hop-on, hop-off tours, hike, or travel via rented kick-sleds. The 11-metre totem was erected for the students of Aboriginal schools. @Donna I was in the city for a few days in March 2016 and thought it to be quite delightful.Thanks for taking the time to comment. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. The median age is 38.1 years. (Of course, you knew that.) Welcome to Whitehorse! Your email address will not be published. I was up last March for 5 days and had a thoroughly fantastic time. Whitehorse is on the Peel River, which has a history of gold mining. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Ha! 3. You wont find many people out on the streets in Whitehorse, theyre all living it up in the restaurants and bars. Its named after the stallion-like Yukon River rapids that passed through the city. At the City of Whitehorse, we are committed to providing you with convenient access to information and services. Your email address will not be published. It bought a huge amount of industry to the area, very quickly. 12 of 15 A Horse's Resting Respiratory Rate Is About 8-14 Breaths per Minute Alina Solovyova-Vincent / Getty Images It's important to know the resting pulse and respiration rate of your horse. 2. Also, its really well located right next to the Yukon River, so it was easy to get up for my morning canoe ride. One great festival that defines Whitehorse is the Yukon sourdough Rendezvous festival. In the summer the temperature can be as high as 30C (86F). The festival includes flour packing, axe throwing, swede saw, dog races, snow sculpting and so much more. For mains I had a chicken quesadilla, which Id already ordered spicy before I had the chance to take my own advice. And you have to go south to go to Alaska. Covering 1,000 miles (1,600 km) between Whitehorse, Yukon and Fairbanks, Alaska during the depths of winter, the Yukon Quest is known for excellence in canine care and fostering the traditions of northern travel by dog sled, its site notes. The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is the oldest and largest Maritime . It was incorporated in 1950 and is located at kilometre 1426 (Historic Mile 918) on the Alaska Highway in southern Yukon. Since first hearing about the Yukon a few years ago, I knew I wanted to visit someday, but the details, names and places needed to be ironed out. Meanwhile, in the wintertime, it can be as short as 6.5 hours. The average summer temperature in Whitehorse is 15C with highs of 31C. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Notify me about the next festivals in WHITEHORSE,YUKON. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". There is a beauty pageant with women daunting clothes from the gold rush era. Several operators host Northern Lights tours, which typically include transportation to and from Whitehorse to a viewing area outside the city, where bonfires and heated sheds stocked with hot drinks help stave off the cold. 4. And if its good enough for Prince William and Princess Catherine who visited back in 2016, its good enough for us mere mortals.