The dip that I served it with for the party (a yummy pea and goat cheese spread from Vegetarian Times) called for garlic olive oil, so the day before I made it all I crushed two cloves of garlic into a ramekin, poured olive oil over it, and put it in the refrigerator to develop flavor. For on-the-go families, Jason's Deli created an even quicker option in the form of Jason's Express. This was exactly what I needed to know. Thank you Deb for taking the time to respond. It has been a MAJOR crowd pleaser and its so easy! I made this flatbread also and youre right it is sooooo delicious. I do like the rosemary, but my hubby isnt a huge fan, so I might try oregano or some type of seeds next time. Marilyn. Also, it needs a sprinkle of salt before baking, which the recipe says but I omitted and I shouldnt have. 1/2 pound of hot roast beef, provolone, mayo, toasted on New Orleans French bread. I saw this recipe and just had to make the rosemary flatbread. I baked mine on a standard cookie sheet and did not need parchment paper. Quick, easy clean up and great flavor. Thank you for sharing! We're saying they've tried. I made this last night- it was supposed to be a snack, but like Rachel, ended up being dinner! I had some mashed roasted garlic in the fridge and mixed about a tablespoon of that into the dough. These look great. Also made it with chives instead. Ive been making this for years, and make this at least once a week! Thanks, Yvonne, that was my question as well. I think anyone that has an aversion to baking bread should start with this one. Just an fyi from Canada. And the rosemary and salt really made them so good. So I DID make these last Friday, and they were delicious. I added a little dried basil as well, and was happy with it. I made these today for the man , I tried brushing them with my Garlic infused Rice Bran oil [my favorite kitchen commodity], and the slight hint was great. Would go even better with, well, an entire log of goat cheese or something ;) I made this with thyme, baked it for about 8 minutes while I sauteed thinly sliced radishes and yellow squash in olive oil and salt.I also mixed some ricotta and with a dab of soy sauce and nutmeg in a bowl. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Ive never made flatbread at home before, but you have such a lovely knack for finding recipes that are both completely tempting and seem very approachable. Must just be me. Love how EASY this flat bread is to whip up. Would be fun during the holidays to cut into shapes, that is, if you can. Unfortunately the cheese hasnt drained enough yet, but the flatbread turned out well. But it was so quick and easytonight:-). This is a super recipe, the kind that you memorize, that becomes part of how you eat. Making good use of the rosemary tree I received for Christmas. Im one of those people. When I lived in Italy and was pathetically broke, I came up with an easy (and cheap) recipe for an herbed, crisp flatbread that my roommates and I lived on. I made this for a dinner this past weekend, with a little variation on seasonings. it will be perfect. I made a double batch last fall, baked up half the rounds for a baby shower, then came home and baked up the second half for myself! I was interested to read that someone makes them with white whole wheat flour and next time I will try that. I bet you could use King Arthurs White Whole Wheat flour in these entirely. Thank you. Second batch was *perfect*. New here? Paired well with the rest of my dinner tonight and I loved them! Your email address will not be published. Here is my variation on this recipe: After making the dough (to which I add 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper), I divide it into 12 pieces. A definite keeper! I used it as pizza dough yesterday. (Whole wheat pastry flour is usually a great substitute for all-purpose flour in almost any recipe. Thanks for another to add to my folder of recipes! Cheese? Thanks! My Pinterest board is full of your recipes! I made these and hummus (with the skins off of the beans, like Deb taught me). You inspired her (Justopia) to make it and now Im going to try the recipe tomorrow. Thanks for making this look so easy I will certainly have to make my own next time. Ooo, this reminds me of the homemade herb crackers I made awhile back. :). I have everything in my kitchen to make this flatbread. This is going to be one of those recipes that you can adapt to whatever you need. Jason's Deli 3 Seed & Sea Salt Flatbread Cracker. Truly, its a small complaint because it is disappearing rapidlygotta run to get my share :). Do you know how similar this recipe is to knish dough? They were so ridiculously easy and fast to make I whipped up a batch with rosemary, which is in the oven as I type. Heat oven to 450F. This recipe is delicious! these couldnt be easier and are delicious. This is my first time making any type of flatbread, so Im pretty happy with the result (and somewhat impressed with myself). Our favorite date night place had reopened last summer, but the kitchen lagged, so we were doing potlucks at the bar. I have everything at home, and Im making these babies tonight. Try flake salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Dear Brooklynbee. Thanks for posting this. Thanks again, Deb! Could I make this with fresh ground whole wheat flour? Any thoughts on putting toppings on this and making it pizza like? I love rosemary with goat cheese. as directed. If only I actually had a beach house. I found that if I cut the third one in half, I can just fit then all on one sheet. Just made this last night. Thank you for such a great and easy recipe! This is my kind of recipe! Haha!! Since Ive started making these, I almsot never buy crackers at the store. SO delicious, and it looks so easy! Im quite intimidated by baking bread, but you make it look so flawless and easy!! Im following the recipe but I get into a bit of trouble when I roll them out. i either do dishes or knit (two activities i must do, but dont like to), so it doesnt feel like a total waste of time. These are great. This has just qualified as a staple in my kitchen. Ive made this at least 10 times in the past 6 weeks since I discovered it. Cant wait to make them. Just found this site and recipe. I can almost smell them from here. After kneading, it was still on the dry side, but came together enough to roll out into the rounds. I still used parchment ..well wax paper as I didnt know how to get the rolled dough from the surface to the stone otherwise. with cracked black pepper. I have been trying to find a recipe for lavash and none of them seem right. You are right, the results are perfect. I only get it when we eat out and the restaurant has it. i have a beach house come on over we will make a batch. Flatbread? I am making these right now. In fact I tried to feed some to the ducks in the park, and they rejected it, I admit I was a little insulted. Ooh I so want to make this! I made the flatbread today and it is so easy and so delicious! never fail! We made this last night but substituted Indian spices for the rosemary. Repeat with remaining pieces of dough. I love, love, love this recipe (and so does anybody who tries it). I have been reading your blog for a few months and you have been very inspiring. I made these a couple of weeks ago and they were fantastic! Had a go with this flatbread yesterday evening, a double batch straight on, solely from whole wheat flour and with oregano instead of rosemary (not the season here). Really hope itll turn out well! Maybe I didnt roll it thin enough. The drive-thru and take-out operation makes it easy to pick up . Just oiled cold tray is fine. Amazing first time trying it and its wonderful I also did a sweet one as well. In the mean time, I cant wait to try out this recipe! I havent but several commenters here have and say it worked just fine. But actually, I also tried it as a pizza base, and it was great! In a pinch, frozen puff pastry works as a knish dough. Two questions: Just came across this recipe and tried it immediatelymy kitchen smells great! They go extremely well with goat cheese (both plain and flavored), and I cannot tell you how many people asked for the recipe. Made this tonight to go with fresh cheese. They all tasted great. Very fun! Ive made a couple of varieties too. They are going to smear a little Nutella on them for dirty dogs and ducks. Whipped up a batch of roasted garlic hummus to go with, and mmm mm good! I brought this to my friends wine tasting last night. Your photos are gorgeous and your recipe choices are wonderful. A great pre-Christmas snack! I brought it to a family gathering and it disappeared in literally 15 minutes the whole batch! I cant wait to try more toppings, maybe flax/sesame seeds? Roll it out again! Sitting down to a bowl of yummy homemade curried pumpkin soup and the flatbread. And ate it all!!! I accidentally spread sugar over it instead of salt Holy yum! Thank you. Im just getting back to this since our last conversation; I thought if I went on and on about it, youd either get fed up with me and ignor my yammering or make them in defense! Good with soups and salads and also as a cracker for cheese and tomato or just butter and a glass of wine! You should make the grilled yogurt flatbreads in Smitten Kitchen Every Day. each). your blog is fabulous, thanks for the endless inspiration! I dont know what that dinner will be, but it will go with flatbread no matter what, because this sounds so yummy and easy. :). They usually last about, oh, a day. I had no idea it is so easy to make! Also, I cook mine on my baking stone and the dough often bubbles in places making them extra crumbly and messy when you crack them. Ive been making this recipe since the magazine came out. thank you. Wow I cant believe I have made a recipe BEFORE you! Ill be making these many many more times. Just made these for a potluck luncheon where most people were bringing salads. Yes, you put them on the pan youve heated in the oven. I also thought they could have used a little more salt or something as they were kind of floury and bland. Made this soon after reading the blog entry, with items I had on hand. My toddler found it irresistible. My dad & I enjoyed it with smoked trout and assorted cheese tonight. I have had this recipe bookmarked for a long time and finally made it today. Easy, versatile, and very yummy. Made this last night for bunco the girls were impressed. I think I rolled to the correct thinness, and used the parchment paper, etc. I appreciate the recipe, but gf isnt great. and finding bread alternatives for the carb lover that I am is very hard especially things I can bake at home. If youre itching to make them, I think you should start with him. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Let it rest 5 to 10 minutes and it should relax. Heavenly! It took no time at all and was the perfect accompaniment to my dinner. I put each piece through my pasta machine on #6 and then lay the pieces out on parchment on a pizza peel. I sprayed each side of the rolled out dough with some olive oil spray. I figured it out by looking at the recipe on Epicurious. : ). I set off the smoke alarm with it once (sensitive system, things werent browed yet), so now Im very careful. Help? Im going to have to try your homemade goldfish next and also see if I can make my own fish-shaped cookie cutter in my jewelry and metalsmithing class this semester. I tried this with 100% whole wheat flour, you know to feel less guilty about eating the whole thing! These look delicious and shockingly easy! Were definitely going to do a pizza next. I think theyd make a nice pizza base very flaky and almost pastry like. My favorite so far has been substituting italian seasoning for rosemary. $11.81 +. Will make a great gift along with some sharp extra-old cheddar cheese and a jar of homemade antipasto. ive made this twice now, and both times i forgot i was supposed to knead it, but i sort of massaged it in the bowl with a spatula until all the flour was incorporated. We really like Chinese scallion pancakes but theyre a pain to make and a little greasy (no chance of ever getting them in a restaurant around here). Ive made this recipe it was one of my best received homemade crackers and my sister proclaimed it her favorite cracker ever, just under goldfish, which I consider an achievement. The recipe was very easy to follow and produced a beautiful batch of flatbread. Preheated the grill for at least 15 minutes. Husband and I have renamed it from flatbread to crackbread. Thanks so much! Love, love, love!! I see people post questions but none seem to answer or care past seeing their names in lights. Anyone making food gifts at the holidays looking for a savory treat should try these in lieu of cookies. Itll definitely become a staple in my house! :-D. Do you have any suggestions about switching to whole wheat flour? I bet these would be good to make quick flatbread goat cheese pizzas. Hi Saloni I think it is too crisp and cracker-like. I think Ill try them with thyme next time. My sis just made this on her tv/website show! My friend just introduced me to your blog yesterday and I found this recipe and had to try it! Yum, it was even better than the first batch! I made them the night before and although they were kept in a Ziploc they lost a little bit of their crispness. The next two balls I rolled out very thin and they turned out great. how to prevent pilling between legs. Mine came out great. Its possible to find pareve (non-dairy/non-meat) dough in the Kosher frozen food section or at a Kosher butcher or grocery store. I just finished making this, and its delicious! Turned out perfect using a pizza stone and no parchment paper. We cant stop eating it and have wowed family and friends when we serve it freshly made in a big Italian floral napkin-lined basket for people to break off pieces. Motel des Landes. I tried this w Bobs Red Mill baking flour. (http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Olive-Oil-Tortas). $11.69+. I fit mine one one, barely, but you might need two. Thanks for all the inspiration! I automatically go to hummus or a bean salad, but this could be fun. When I realized just how fast I would run out of fresh ingredients it had the potential to be pretty dispiriting, so I decided that rather than lament what I couldnt have, Id challenge myself to use up the contents of my fridge, freezer and pantry as creatively as possible so I could delay going shopping again as long as possible. It seemed a little bit on the oily side but the thinner ones did bubble up like the flatbreads I my family used to buy at St. Urbains and I consider that a good thing. Very forgiving too. So quick and easy, but so delicious and flaky. Thanks for the recipe my family gobbled it up in seconds! I did this to keep the garlic and herb flavors from getting residue on my rolling pin since I dont wash my pin. Hi DebIm way late to the flatbread party, but I made two batches of this over the weekend (one with rosemary, and one with a sundried tomato/oregano/basil spice blendyum! How have I not commented already?! Often times I had to buy them at the market. I sprinkled it with some grated parmigiano reggiano for an extra salty bite. As I rolled out the 2nd piece of the dough, preparing it for the oven, The rosemary is running rampant in my garden right now, and Im desperately looking for ways to use it up. Didnt use the rosemary since these were going w/a basil dip, and didnt want to have competing flavors. Then I spread the ricotta mixture on the bread and topped it with veggies. I added about a tablespoon of extra oil (used EVOO) and skipped the rosemary but topped with a middle eastern blend of spices called Zatar. I only rolled it into one bigger round. Lastly, for easier blending, use slightly warm water, and mix it and the olive oil together before pouring it in. Time to get the second one out of the oven! It will most certainly be The Recipe of the Century!!! I will probably make them again, but will expect to serve them with something with more liquid to help offset the dryness. These are so tasty and easy and Im thanking you dearly for the break from saltines! hi i made this today using whole wheat flour (100%) and thyme (thats what i had in the herb garden) and everyone loves them. This took about two seconds to do, which is important when Im already exhausted from the amount of baking and dishes Ive done before breakfast, and came out deliciously. Cela contribue grandement la fire allure dont la ville affiche. Just made this for Easter apps for tomorrow and had to snack on them a little bit tonight so good! I let the whole thingbake a few more minutes. plus, it gives ya neat pieces!!! A girl can dream, cant she. I found the dough to be pretty dry and crumbly after the initial liquid/dry ingredient mix (like, I had a hard time getting all the flour mixed into the water/oil). I was looking for something to do with my excess sourdough starter, but was uninspired by any of the discard recipes out there. I am serving them with cheese, and a wine infused chicken, the recipe of which is found at http://prouditaliancook.blogspot.com/2010/05/wine-infused-beer-can-chicken.html. And yes, I am angling for that Labor Day invite to the Maine beach house! I would give this 6 out of 5 stars. I was blown away by how good this was relative to how easy the recipe was. Delicious homemade flatbread, here I come! I just made these and they came out delicious! I made this today. 1/2 pound of hot corned beef, Swiss, sauerkraut, 1000 Island dressing, grilled on marbled rye. Just made this for dinner tonight to go with a braised chicken dish that had leeks and canned artichokes in the bright sauce. I was just out in the garden, frankly a little POd that EVERYTHING I PLANTED SUCKS, except for the lovely rosemary and a little basil. The unintended benefit was that even though they cooked unevenly (my oven being what it is) I was able to pull out the pieces that were brown and leave the pale ones for a few extra minutes. Not having parchment paper OR a heavy-duty baking sheet, I instead cooked these in cast iron skillets. So glad I found this, probably the easiest flat bread recipe out there. I just finished baking the first one and I just had to come rush back to say thank you for sharing this! Probably took 15 min at 450. Made a second batch with WW flour and had to add a little extra water and EVOO. Served with blue corn chips and salsa. The technique is fascinating.