They didnt really get to the front of ecclesiology either, the study of the church, but those two kind of go together - as well see in this study - in some very fascinating ways. The other says there will be a kingdom. And who made them? The following is a partial response to the subject since it is integral to premillennialism while postmillennialism is often ignored on the subject. And I can only tell you I am unwaveringly committed to the sovereign election of a future generation of Jews to salvation, and the full inheritance of all the promises and covenants of God given to them in the Old Testament. I said, Sure - Ill take all day Friday, Ill tell you the future. So, I just marched them through the order of the chronology of eschatology as its laid out clearly, both in the Old and the New Testament, and I finished. Now, understanding the future is you know, thats a general statement that you would be blessed - but look at just a couple of other things quickly. DP also believes that God has a place for both national Israel (cf. But in both cases, they would deny the actual thousand-year reign of Christ, and they would deny that Christ will reign and rule on earth and literally fulfill all His promises to the nation Israel given in the Old Testament covenants. Major proponents J. N. Darby, C. I. Scofield, John Walvoord, A. C. Gaebelein, Charles Ryrie, Lewis S. Chafer, J. Dwight Pentecost, Charles C. Ryrie, Registered User ), Puritan Independent Thomas Goodwin, in his book, The Return of Prayers, encouraged people to pray for the calling of the Jews, the utter downfall of Gods enemies, the flourishing of the gospel. Goodwin assured his readers that all these prayers will have answers. (Quoted in Murray, The Puritan Hope, 102.). God filled the Bible with prophecy and much of it looking to the end. The assembly and the circumstances of the assembly must be distinguished. Craig and his wife Fran have two daughters and reside in Centennial, Colorado. What passage is it in? / ( .) Now, if you want to get the future right, youve got to get Israel right, and youve got to get Gods sovereign electing purpose right. The Rapture, Antichrist, and Rebirth of Israel in Medieval Manuscripts. I. Dr. MacArthur on Premillennialism and Calvinism: "Now that leads to my title: `Why Every Self-Respecting Calvinist Is a Premillennialist' [laughter and applause] Now it's too late for Calvin, but it's not too late for the rest of you. In the modern theological world, I say leave amillennialism to the process theologians. If you read the paper and have your eyes open, and youre breathing, and your body has any temperature at all, you know things arent getting better. When Frederick the Great called his chaplain in and he said, I want proof of the truthfulness of the Bible, and I want it briefly, the chaplain replied, Sir, I can give you proof of the truthfulness of the Bible in one word: Israel.. Receiving Not Achieving. Theres a rapture, and theres a bma seat judgment; we know that. And so, we stand steadfast, immovable. I have even called thee by thy name Isaiah 65:9: Mine elect shall inherit it - the promises of God. We can interpret it the way we interpret any other passage of Scripture, with the same use of the normal, natural means of interpreting language, and we should; and it will yield for us as clear an understanding of the future as the Lord wants us to have. This is simply a way to understand Scripture in its normal sense. There are 73 references to Israel in the New Testament; each of them refers to Israel. MacArthur insisted that we should be able to preach the whole Bible without changing the original meaning of the text or abrogating promises. Now, there are people who do this to Genesis 1, 2 and 3. Doctrinal Statement Student Testimonies TMS for your Family Academics Academics Overview Master of Divinity Master of Theology Doctor of Ministry Doctor of Philosophy Bachelor of Theology Diploma of Theology Center for Israeli Studies Distance Education Academic Calendar Tyndale Center for Bible Translation . Now, Im going to save the good stuff till next time, but I want to just end by giving you a little list of benefits of getting your eschatology right, okay? Amillennialism really seems to fit them. One says its not the kingdom. and defends what can only be described as postmillennialism over against premillennialism. Popular proponents of dispensational premillennialism have been John F. MacArthur, Phil Johnson, Ray Comfort, Jerry Falwell, Todd Friel, Dwight Pentecost, John Walvoord (d. 2002), Tim Lahaye, Charles Caldwell Ryrie (in the notes for the Ryrie Study Bible), the theological-folk poetry of Jack Royerton, and Charles L. Feinberg. Let me give you a theology lesson here a little bit. 1897 (Western Theological Seminary) (James Orr) .. Israel disobeyed the law, youre done. He blogs at Ordinary Pastor. John MacArthur claims to be a Dispensationalist in both The Gospel According to Jesus (GAJ) and The Gospel According to the Apostles (GAA). They will die for that truth regarding the church, but unashamedly abandon that same truth for the elect nation of Israel. They dont want to accept that the entire universe was created in six nearly twenty-four-hour days. For this perishable must put on the imperishable, this mortal must put on immortality. And then he goes on to talk about the fact that in that moment, in that event, Death is swallowed up in victory. Now, the only thing that I ask is that you read it, and the only reason I ask you to read it is so that you may be what? Staggering. There have been premillennial (traditionally known as "chiliastic) movements, including some Reformed theologians, since the early church but most . Through the work of Ladd, historic premillennialism gained scholarly respect and popularity among Evangelical and Reformed theologians since he had the right appreciation of the redemptive- historical significance of the first coming of Christ and of the NT age. John Piper Backs Professor's End Times Theory of Premillennialism. 11:12; 12:29; 13:19; John 10:12, 28, 29) and removing (John 6:15; Acts 8:39; 23:10; Jude 23).There is a third use, which focuses on being caught up . So check out Tim Challies summary on this once it is posted and if you are able to get your mitts on the audio for this it is highly recommended. Who will establish it? The other view is whats called openness theology, and its the same thing; it simply means God has no idea what the future is. So, my words to you are really very simple foundational words, I say this. The Millennium is the reign on earth of Jews who accept Christ John MacArthur, Because the Time is Near: John MacArthur Explains the Book of Revelation (Moody, 2007). It has to matter to us. Well, we now come to the doctrines that relate to the end times. I was talking to one of our missionaries just this same week I gave this talk to the pastors, and he was coming back from China and he said, Theres only one view in the church in China and its the premillennial view. Of course, because they just take what Scripture says. But they want to get God off the hook, so they say Hes really not responsible, Hes really not in charge of anything; Hes just trying to figure it out. It is one thing to omit them for a time, and another to do it ordinarily. Its just a lot of material. Reformed theologian John Piper affirmed his belief that the second coming of Christ is coming soon and indicated that he is a premillennialist. John MacArthur is the pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California, president of The Master's College and Seminary, and featured teacher with the Grace to You media ministry. First of all, we commend Dr. MacArthur for his solid Biblical position on Israel, and that Israel has a glorious future in the plan and purpose of God. 315K views 1 year ago Significant video editing was used to create a unique storyline that teaches about the end times, specifically premillennialism and amillennialism. Ive preached through many of the books of the Old Testament, the first eleven chapters of Genesis through Daniel, Zechariah, the minor prophets, and pieces and bits of Isaiah and others in the Old Testament. Btw, LA is beautiful and the conference is great, I hope to post some reflections as the week goes on. His point being that Jesus literally fulfilled promises of God just as they would have been literally taken, how in the world can we now redefine the kingdom in a different way than it was described in and through the prophets? Premillennialism (3) Pretribulationism (1) Pride (3) Priests (4) Princeton Theological Review (1) . He concluded that Nothing is more certainly foretold than this national conversion of the Jews in Romans 11. (Jonathan Edwards, History of Redemption, The Works of Jonathan Edwards, 2 vols. They would rather believe that God has predestined His Church to failure than believe that they are personally responsible for transforming society. You forfeit everything, and God gives it to somebody else - namely, the church - and we hope the church can do better than Israel or the church will forfeit it all as well. Because when you understand Gods purpose for Israel, you now have the foundation for all eschatology; all eschatology. Theological Method of Premillennialism" in A Case for Historic Premillennialism: An Alternative to "Left Behind" Eschatology, ed. . But some are holding on to what they have taught in the past; I guess self-preservation dominates their theology at that point. But, you know, of all the people on the planet who should be premillennialists, it should be those who believe in divine sovereign election, of all people. If you get that right, your eschatology will come crystal clear. I align myself to historical premillennialism, so I want to convey my own dismay with John MacArthur's sermon series from 2007. Ive been here at Grace Church well, what - thirty-some years. And it is powerfully persuasive. But they never got around to eschatology; they never got around to applying their formidable skills. Those are the views. Prior to that I thought about it a lot. So, it is really one of the strange ironies of Reformed theology, and therefore its a strange irony in the church today, that those who love the doctrine of sovereign election most - that would be Reformed theologians - those who love the doctrine of sovereign election most supremely, and who love that doctrine most sincerely and - this is going to be a long sentence - and who are most unwavering in their devotion to the glory of God, the honor of Christ, the work of the Holy Spirit in regeneration, the veracity and inerrancy of Scripture , Those who are usually the most fastidious in Bible interpretation - yes, those who are the most careful and intentionally biblical regarding all categories of doctrine, those who see themselves as guardians of biblical truth, those who are passionate to get it right, those who are not content to be wrong at all, and those who most heartily agree on the essential matters of Christian truth, so that they labor with all their powers to examine in a Berean fashion every relevant text to discern the true interpretation of all matters of divine revelation, are . Enter your email address and we will send you instructions on how to reset your password. Contrary to MacArthur, the historical record demonstrates that postmillennial Calvinists had developed a prophetic role for the Jews hundreds of years before Scofield. You have nothing to fear, nothing to worry about. That is to say, while they understood that someone would come, they understood whatever it was that had been revealed to them, the timing was not clear, and the precise personages were not clear. Seventy percent - by the way - of Scripture is the story of Israel, start to finish. We know that when He appears, - second coming we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him just as He is. He asked what the amillennialist would say if the Jew asked about the kingdom and the blessings. They believe God elects nobody to salvation. Particular to this framework is the eschatological position known as "premillennial dispensationalism" which holds that Christ will return prior to a literal one-thousand-year reign on earth. John MacArthur has compiled more than 20,000 study notes, a 200-page topical index, and numerous charts, maps, outlines, and articles to create The MacArthur Study Bible. So, this is a classic perfect fit for Arminian theology. Preachers Should Measure Twice and Cut Once, Why Our Church Cancelled Christmas Eve Service. Its two ways to view human history. Now, were going to dig a little more deeply into the whole idea of the millennial kingdom and what the Bible says about it, and as to its nature and the aspects of the kingdom that are revealed in Scripture - and by the way, they are many and they are wondrous to behold, and we will do that. Let me condense that down, just squeeze it down to about 350 pages, because if people read this and understand it, theyre going to be blessed by God. And they said, Sure.. He even went so far as to say that the Amillennial position is more consistent with Arminianism Craig Blaising and . Oh sure, it helps to know some history and some background, but this is a pronounced blessing. If you dont know what you believe about the future, you cant preach on it. The church will move out of its own environs to capture nations, leaders, ideologies, philosophies, theories, religions, and bring them all into captivity to Christ. Chicago: Moody, 2012. We sent you an email. Jonathan Edwards, a noted postmillennialist and someone MacArthur quotes unfavorably in his Shepherds talk, outlined the future of the Christian Church in his 1774 History of Redemption. Its the whole point of the beginning and the middle. Why would God wait nearly 2000 years to redeem a single generation of Jews only to have the antichrist wipe out two-thirds of them? We've been working our way through doctrinal emphases in Scripture, doctrinal themes, and we have covered a lot of ground. Even His promises may not be valid, because He made them with inadequate information. And again, I say, His election is divine, unilateral, unconditional and irrevocable. They explain, "As a refinement of dispensational premillennialism, futuristic millennialism affirms a futuristic view . And I ask the question: are we supposed to be comfortable with the notion that the hard and fast and true principles of Bible interpretation have to be set aside in prophetic texts? . [1] He has been the pastor of Grace Community Church, a non-denominational church in Sun Valley, California since February 9, 1969. We can take prophetic Scripture at face value. This article is also available and sold as a booklet. As more and more information comes to Him, and as He has more and more experience in dealing with the issues of His universe, Hes getting better at being God. Now, here comes the real irony; this is the real irony. Not true. His message in General Session 1 was entitled "Why Every Self-Respecting Calvinist is Premillennial". The first phase of that eternal rule will be His reign on this earth, which will last - as Revelation 20 says six times - a thousand years, after which His rule will continue, because it is an everlasting rule, but it will continue in a new heaven and a new earth that replace this heaven and earth, which will melt in an atomic implosion and make way for the new creation. GDPR is the new European privacy regulation, which will replace the Data Protection Act 1998 in the UK and the equivalent legislation across the EU Member States. Darby, that came out of that whole dispensational system no, it didnt. Return the sovereignty of God in election to its rightful place, return the nation Israel to its rightful place, and your eschatology will unfold in beautiful clarity. Most of the Reformers and the Puritans were postmils. It is pungently clear. The bottom line is were in charge. Ridgeley spends several pages refuting ancient and modern Chiliasts, or Millennarians ((Ridgeley, Commentary on the Larger Catechism, 1:558562.)) Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases on Amazon.com. Hes not predicting the future because you cant predict what hasnt happened - it doesnt exist. His presentation was not an attempt to harmonize Calvinism with a premillennial view but rather to show the inconsistency of the contrary. And he is suggesting, therefore, that we cant interpret them literally, because somehow, weve got to make them fulfilled in this age, because there is no future age. Postmillennialists think things are going to get better. S. Lewis Johnson, Curt Daniel "The History and Theology of Calvinism" by Curt Daniel) and others affirm full soteriological Calvinism without adopting postmil or amil eschatology. That's a complete misreading. Process theology: they are the theologians, liberal theologians, who believe that God is in process of becoming what He will be. Since the UK is now no longer a member of the EU, you may be charged an import tax on this item by the customs authorities in your country of residence, which is beyond our control. Worship - John F. MacArthur 2012-01-20 Nothing is more important than worship. He comes pre, not post; He comes before. Articles Baptist Theology Calvinism Charles Spurgeon Christology Classic Premillennialism Covenant Theology e-Articles e-Books Eschatology Historic . Dispensationalism is a kind of framework for history that is organized around seven dispensationsseven orders or administrations. You can choose Him and then not choose Him, and then choose Him again and then not choose Him, and you make the decision; and so, all of the promises of God are conditional on you. And may I remind you that you have one very, very important reality to deal with in case you think theres no future in Israel: living Israelites. They also think that there is not to be a literal thousand-year kingdom as such, but thats just metaphoric for a long time; and it simply indicates whatever the duration of that period where the influence of the church dominates the world, after which Christ returns. Im unwaveringly committed to that. That leaves me with the impression that God wants us not to question the length of its duration. Anything to avoid premillennialism, even if you change the rules of interpretation. He notes that "the decisive authority of Asiatic millennialism is John, from whom the elders claimed to have obtained their information. That in itself is an indication of Gods preservation for their future. The Lords coming back: blessing, purity, stability, comfort. (Ridgeley, Commentary on the Larger Catechism, 1:562. And that was over the gospel, and over the nature of Christ, and over salvation by grace through faith and over the authority of Scripture. Here at Grace to You Europe we take our data protection responsibilities very seriously and, as you would expect, have undertaken a significant programme of work to ensure that we are ready for this important legislative change. I had, as theologians might call it, my own my own ordo eschaton; that would be the chronological sequence of the end times. But, in any case - and by the way, postmillennialists and amillennialists differ as to the details of these kinds of things. Premillennialists believe that two-thirds of the Jews living in Israel during the time of the great tribulation will be slaughtered (Zech. There are over two thousand references to Israel in Scripture; not one of them means anything but Israel. Yet it is inconsistent with. If you interpret Old Testament prophecies literally, they cannot be fulfilled in this present age. And there are others who believe that that refers to heaven; that refers to the experience of the saints in heaven. Ive dragged myself through all these years of the discipline of study. And Im not in to newspaper exegesis, where you where everything that happens in the news fulfills some obscure Old Testament prophecy. And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure., Getting your eschatology right will bless you and getting your eschatology right will purify you. Some of the most formidable amillennialists - and Im talking about well-respected, very erudite influential theologians - say things like this, and Ill quote. The "millennium" refers to the period of 1,000 years mentioned in Revelation 20:3, "He threw Satan into the pit, and shut it and sealed it over him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years were ended. Relax; set all that aside. That is called historical premillennialism: Christ will come, set up the kingdom, but it won't have the Jewish character that we anticipate from Old Testament promises it would have, because those promises were cancelled to Israel and given to the church. Tell us about the future. They were in a very hopeless situation, having very little in life. Its there. Why Every Calvinist Should Be a Premillennialist, Part 1. They were fighting the massive Roman system, and being occupied on those fronts, they never really got to the front of eschatology. The other says it is the kingdom. Amillennialism, dispensational premillennialism, historic premillennialism, postmillennialism, preterism. It was developed in mid-19 th century England by John Darby, a leader of the small but influential Plymouth Brethren Movement. I remember when I flew to Kazakhstan in about a 35 or 38-hour flight; got off the plane at 7:00 in the morning to speak at a conference. See De Jong, As the Waters Cover the Sea, 12.). What you have here is a benediction from God: blessed is he who reads and understands the book of Revelation. He made them in the past, when He didnt know what He now knows, because what was going to happen hadnt happened. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ - thats part of the coming eschatology. As you may be aware, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into full effect on 25th May 2018. Theres a recovery of premillennialism in the modern era, and the recovery of premillennialism in the modern era came from two very unlikely sources. Premillennialism Historic Premillennialism Postmillennialism Amillennialism view sees the re-establishment of temple worship and animal sacrifices as a remembrance of Christ's sacrifice. But we now have pure Israelites. You can figure it out. John MacArthur's first message at the Shepherds' Conference set off shock waves throughout the reformed evangelical church by upholding Premillennialism as being the only consistent position for any person who holds to the doctrine of sovereign electing grace. We are responsible for our sin, but in the end, we believe because He moves on us. Turn to 1 Thessalonians chapter 4; 1 Thessalonians chapter 4. That is a large part of evangelical Christianity, the Wesleyan movement, Charismatic movement, Methodists, etc., etc., many Baptists. Why do we want to run from that? Today's Christians have been taught that they must flee responsibility, for Jesus' sake. The end is as divinely designed as the beginning, and God has given us massive amounts of revelation in the Scripture about the future. Because they believed that the Jews would be converted, Puritan and Presbyterian churches earnestly prayed that Pauls prophecies would be fulfilled. Christ's Prophetic Plans offers the reader John MacArthur's most explicit writing on eschatology and is perfect for pastors, bible professors, teachers, and students with a heart and mind for discovering Biblical truth. Now, I've been telling you for a number of months that we were going to get into the subject of eschatology, the doctrine of last things. (Quoted in Murray, The Puritan Hope, 101102. MacArthur pulled no punches in his messages saying things like Jesus, Peter, the writer of Hebrews, and James were all premillenial. A Look at the Church of England, Sneak Peek Interview: Laura Wiflers New Childrens Book. by R. Scott Clark on April 8, 2020 | Dispensationalism describes a way of reading the Bible and a system of theology the nearest roots of which are in the 19th century. But people are upset because MacArthur so badly misrepresented amillennialism, and because he defined "premillennialism" as though it were dispensationalism. Show it to me. In a really interesting illustration MacArthur envisioned an amillennialist evangelizing a Jew. iii.16. His message in General Session 1 was entitled Why Every Self-Respecting Calvinist is Premillennial. We chart the course and God reacts. And by what authority? It matters to me. -- by John Walvoord -- p.98 10.The Early Witness to Premillennialism -- by Michael Vlach -- p.104 11.Premillennialism in the Old Testament Series -- by Arnold Fruchtenbaum -- p.107 Theres no sense in going in to all of that, except to say in both cases, they say there is no actual earthly reign of Christ fulfilling all Old Testament covenant promises. Did He do it and somehow muddle it so hopelessly that the high ground for Bible students and the high ground for theologians is to recognize the muddle and abandon the perspicuity or the clarity of Scripture on that subject? There is no doubt that he does hold to the fundamental distinction between the Church and Israel, though he does not always apply this distinction consistently. O.T. He is known around the world for his verse-by-verse expository preaching and his pulpit ministry via his daily radio program, Grace to You. Whether youre an amillennialist or a postmillennialist, you basically say Israel forfeited all its promises. Isaiah 65 - really, the whole chapter is about Israel, Gods elect - verse 22: My elect again shall enjoy long the work of their hands. Israel repeatedly called Gods elect; we know what that means. Now, talking about eschatology is not without controversy. There are a number of viewpoints of what the Bible means when it speaks of future events. Guest. After that he must be loosed for a little while." If students at The Masters Seminary are not being taught these things in their classes dealing with prophecy, then they are being shortchanged, misinformed, and, dare I say, led astray. Mathewson, Dave L. God is just trying to find His way through the melee of choices and decisions, through the endless vicissitudes and choices that everything and everyone makes, through all of the numberless issues in this massive universe that are going on; Hes sorting it all out as He goes. After this period of fulfillment of divine wrath, He shall then return to rule from a holy city ( i.e., the New Jerusalem) over the earthly nations for one thousand years. John MacArthur News Why TMS? A History of Christian Zionism: Philo-Semitism and the Expectation of Israel's Restoration. What he is saying is, a literal interpretation of the Old Testament is going to lead you to a premillennial view, and since we dont want to get there, we cant use a literal approach. by Craig L. Blomberg and Sung Wook Chung [Grand Rapids: . I like to call amillennialism negative, and postmillennialism positive. You get the Old Testament covenants and promises right when you get the interpretation of Scripture right. "Why Every Self-Respecting Calvinist is a Pre-Millennialist." For those of you who don't know, this was a statement, among others, that John MacArthur was recorded as making at the recent Shepherd's Conference 2007 at Grace Community Church, Sun Valley California. If were going to change the rules, then, may I suggest this - and this is what I told the pastors - if were going to change the rules, then we better have a word from God. Macarthur writes "Futuristic Premillennialism is the result of an understanding and application of the prophetic texts in a way that is consistent with the normal, literal approach to interpreting Scripture." This is how the authors come to their Futuristic Premillennial view. He confronts the views of covenant theology, historical premillennialism, ultradispensationalism, and, in this revised edition, the increasingly popular progressive dispensationalism. Please be aware that these items are sent out from our office in the UK. In the meantime, Ive continued to study the Old Testament to write all the footnotes for the MacArthur Study Bible through the entire Old Testament. You can follow him on Twitter. Ridgeleys original work was titled A Body of Divinity: Wherein the Doctrines of the Christian Religion are Explained and Defended, Being the Substance of Several Lectures on the Assemblys Larger Catechism and was published in 1731.)) Thats called process theology. Without the dispensational lens-says MacArthur-you will misunderstand much of the Bible. The church. MacArthur--who is an ardent dispensationalist--stated and defended his position. Short Response to Dr. MacArthur's statement. Accordingly, we have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions in order to comply with GDPR.