You should have no problem just changing out the floor covering if your subfloor is healthy. Don't want to be too cheap but I don't want to overspend either. Is this the best way to go? Staple the boards in place. He was using screws for wood and we know the floor underneath is particle board with many staples in it. The most obvious evidence to support the subcontractors theory is the peaking of the subfloor at the joists. If you do in fact have only the 3/4" particle board now, you should not consider it structural. Subfloors come in various materials, including plywood, oriented strand board (OSB), or planks. Simply installing plywood over the top of a subfloor is a simple process. If your existing floor is in fair shape both plywood and OSB staple or screw down nicely for living rooms, bedrooms, and halls. Again, thank you for a wonderful blogsite. I am hoping someone will be able to give me advice on how to proceed with my project. Replacing particle board subfloor with plywood, We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. She earned a BA in communications from Jacksonville State University. Id also like to move a few walls and reorganize the 1/2 bath, laundry and redo the entire full bath. In fact, water remediation (restoration) is a$210 BILLION dollar businessin the United States. Siding and Skirting We need new cupboards, appliances etc so would be a complete renovation. In my experience, when you start working on a home you will always find more things wrong with it than you planned (especially after removing the flooring or paneling after a leak). Adding an extra layer of plywood over the subfloor is simply a good idea. Whats the grammar of "For those whose stories they are"? The subfloor is responsible for holding up all of the things in your home, from people to furniture to the different layers of the floor. Did any DOS compatibility layers exist for any UNIX-like systems before DOS started to become outmoded? Ive been slacking on the comments lately. The home inspector said putting an additional layer of sub-flooring over top should help solidify everything. Sometimes a lot, sometimes very little, but when it does rain, you want your mobile home roof to be watertight. Plywood sheets are an engineered wood product made by binding thin layers of wood veneer together with resin under high pressure and heat and then rotating each layer 90 degrees in a technique known as cross-graining. Floor covering comes in several materials, such as hardwood, tile, carpet, or vinyl. I doubt there would be any way to go under the home and repair it correctly. Thanks in advance. You can get in trouble later if you cheap out and just put new plywood over some of the bad particle board. Youll want to find 3 different companies to get appraisals to get a good idea. If its just a living room, with no built-in cabinetry, you may be able to get by with just building a second subfloor over the first. Oh my goodness! What type of subfloor is in these homes? Before we continue, you may want to check out our step-by-step guide to replace flooring in a mobile home here. Decorating Tips Secure all of the original existing subfloor to the new supports with glue and screws. Particleboard is made from wood dust and chips that are combined with resin and shaped into panels in a hot press, reveals Upgraded Home. You may luck up with a brochure or sales pamphlet on ebay or if someone uploads one somewhere. Hmmmcan you send me a photo of your subflooring and maybe get a measurement of the thickness. Laying tile and some floating flooring is a day in the park compared to subfloor replacements. locations, especially under the master bathroom shower pan area. Home will never be moved only torn down. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. Real Estate Areas with minor pet damage can be sealed with Kilz primer to eliminate odors. Id call it flat. Its absolutely possible but every home is different due to leveling and carpet thickness so its hard to give a definite yes. (PS If you do it could you please take photos so I could write an article about it? Energy Efficiency Why does Mister Mxyzptlk need to have a weakness in the comics? However, if you anticipate moisture on the carpet, such as from pet potty accidents or children spilling drinks, the particleboard under the carpet could be ruined. In that case, it's a good idea to lay plywood over the particleboard before laying carpet. This should be a top priority. Did they show up when they said they would? When it is done this way, the edges of both the old subfloor and the new subfloor can be secured properly to the new cross support in the floor. Just follow the directions in the article above. Ive read that I should keep the insulation below the wiring and pipes. So far, its worked great. Replacing particle board subfloor with plywood. As you continue to measure and cut plywood pieces, you will be able to cover the remainder of the floor. Three lawyers refused to help me saying real estate was an investment that I could resell. If its healthy, youll likely want to leave the subflooring under the walls alone. (The home has been inspected and his opinion has been verified.). I knew that overall, the finished product would be far more level and feel more solid. Please give me the Best Advice. Your home is probably the same way. Overlay With Plywood If you have obvious problems with the particleboard such as swelling - very common if the particleboard has become wet - it's a good idea to overlay it with thin. Mobile Home Repair has a forum that covers all kinds of topics. We have laid a new subfloor over the existing subfloor in a couple of mobile homes weve worked on. If you are installing a hardwood floor covering. My question is that I want to put the wood look tile in the laundry, kitchen, and living room. Heating and Cooling Usually, every home more than 10 years old has developed a soft spot or two in the floor. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? If so, how do I find them? Heres the link: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/rmra/mhs/mhdrp. I do see a lot of rotting in several areas outside at top of sliding. I had a friend install a new Garbage Disposal a few months ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Interviews Noted from the sub-area at three Self-Leveling Underlayment is an easy-to-use, cement-based underlayment that self-levels. This may keep it from forming a proper bond. Im tired of being cold!! When installing new plumbing in an old (1979) mobile home, can it be done from underneath the trailer, or does it need to be done by removing the flooring? Seeing if anyone can answer me this. You only have to replace the subfloor if it is damaged. After you set your saw you will carefully cut only the subfloor. I have never seen a subflooring that couldnt handle floating flooring unless its been damaged by water or fire. The joists arent the flat floor layers youre accustomed to seeing inside your home. I just wanted to replace my carpet with laminate flooring.. My terminology is likely incorrect but I think it's 1/4" particle board underlayment on top of those shims. There are four parts to your floor: J. So far, weve done everything right, but I was hoping to learn what you recommend for kitchen flooring. Should I work on the walls first or floors first. I need something that can withstand my moving furniture around to clean without scratching the flooring. I'm not an expert, but I had a similar situation when installing laminate flooring. Financing and Insurance Heres a video showing how to use a circular saw to cut out subflooring in a mobile home: If your flooring is 3/4 set your circular saw to that and follow the perimeter along the edge of the room. This can lead to severe warping and deterioration of the particleboard panel if exposed to even small amounts of water. Roofing With the floor covering removed you will be able to trace the leak better. Let me know how it goes! I bought this place from an elderly couple when it was only about a year old, but they were not honest about anything pertaining to the structure, and violated the contract by removing window treatments and substituting appliances with Goodwill purchases. Thanks again for your help This was very helpful. Vinyl will usually need to be cut around the perimeter of the room and tile will need to be ripped up. Stretching and stapling/nailing the wrap is a real pain but its easier with help. Good luck! All rights reserved. Plywood underlayment isnt water-resistant. What is less obvious is the breakdown of the subfloor that hasnt yet caved through. As always, thank you for reading Mobile Home Living! Try drilling pilot hole a bit smaller than the threads on your screw and see if that works. Its thick so it has a nice cushion to it that is perfect for standing while cooking. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but Im still This home was a 1980 model and had a subfloor made of particle board. ), I want to enjoy the rest of my life, and hopefully do some art work and sewing that I have put off. Is this really possible. Lighting If there isnt its probably best to just cut the damage out and replace it. Particleboard, on the other hand, has not improved . You will want to go to the local mobile home supply store and buy a new one. I love plank floating floor its perfect for mobile homes as long as its installed correctly and has the foam glued to it already (another foam floor pad may help as well). Surly Straggler vs. other types of steel frames, Follow Up: struct sockaddr storage initialization by network format-string. Tile (light weight preferably), laminate, real wood, etc. the flat surface on which you install all other layers. Subfloors are an important subject in the mobile home world. Dont want tile anymore, but love the look. Stigma If the underlayment is too thick, it can shorten the room, especially if you have low ceilings. HOW CAN I GET RID OF DAMPNESS AND MOLD IN MY MOBILE HOME? Your particle board doesnt look like its in terrible shape. We are ordering a 2020 custom built Silvercrest Kinsgbrook double wide home. Based outside Atlanta, Ga., Shala Munroe has been writing and copy editing since 1995. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. are all great floor covering for a kitchen. The easiest way to begin removing the subfloor, is to use a large hole saw or a jigsaw and cut out from the hole in the floor or a piece of the soft spot in the floor. Are you sure it only has particle board (and that it's actually particle board and not OSB)? Displays2Go: Comparing Building Materials: Particle Board, MDF & Plywood, How to Cut out a Section of Carpet & Put in Laminate, How to Prevent Buckling on Laminate Floors. Chuck has been renovating and flipping properties since 2003. At this point, all the sub-flooring has been removed and you have a perfect opportunity to inspect the joists for any damage. Screwing the subfloor down tighter against the joists usually helps but if the subfloor is bowed or doesnt have enough support in an area it may need to be shimmed between the floor and the joist. I really need to get it fixed because it feels like the toilet is going to fall through the floor at any time. if you cant replace the subfloor yourself this article will at least show you what to expect when you hire someone else to do it. Then, you will lay new subflooring down and replace the floor covering. Chuck started investing in, buying, renovating, selling, and flipping manufactured homes both in parks and on their own fee-simple lots. Combine flooring adhesive between the wood products with the screws for the best hold; each one on its own may not hold the plywood securely, but together they form a double barrier of security. You want to protect the subfloor and studs from water at all costs. When repairing the floor, you will want to remove the entire area that feels spongy, soft or unlevel. Still, if you have a soft spot or bowing in any area its bestto replace the subflooring in a mobile home quickly before it causes further damage. Ill get it professionally installed but I cant narrow it down. From what I understand, all manufacturers have to pay a certain amount toward this program so that people can get help. OSB OSB costs $3 to $5 less per panel when compared to plywood, so the cost savings when building an entire house is significant. Replacing the subfloor of a mobile home is a very common project and you should be able to find at least one or two companies in your area that have done it before. Help! Laundry and Entry Ways Its definitely been a learn as I go experience. Learn how your comment data is processed. I'd suggest patching with 5/8" as needed, then you can laminate over it with 1/2",5/8" or 3/4" That way the extra thickness can stop at the walls. All of your info is very helpful, but there is no mention on how to deal with the staples and glue residue from the original sub floor. Rooms with more substantial furniture will need a thicker subfloor. Bulk update symbol size units from mm to map units in rule-based symbology, Euler: A baby on his lap, a cat on his back thats how he wrote his immortal works (origin?). Is it suspicious or odd to stand by the gate of a GA airport watching the planes? Homeowner Stories Ive got absolutely no experience in repairing things like this, but Im very determined! You really need to have a good command of your tools as to not damage framing and understand the schematics of your home (especially venting, plumbing, and wiring). The subfloor seems to be in good condition and goes over a crawl space, with the only issue being furniture, etc "shaking" a bit when walking around. Sand those risers to get rid of the glued particle board remaining on them. Or does heat get under the flooring from the heat duct? Coastal Decor It very well may be more affordable and less hassle for you to spend your money on a house that has been at least partially updated. Black mold could be a problem and the electrical system may need to be updated to a modern breaker box and modern wires and the plumbing will likely need to be upgraded if the original pipes used were recalled (some of the grey water pipes). Tile over 2x6x1.5 T&G subfloor, spanning 48" beams. To take care of this problem, we have found that Henry 555 Level Pro works perfectly for our purposes: The Henry Level Pro 40 lb. Replacing the entire floor is not usually necessary. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. One last question - what kind of plywood would you recommend? Cork vs. Rubber Underlayment: Which One Is Better? Next, you will need to measure your subfloor. Soft spots are less common in newer homes that have plywood or OSB (Oriented Strand Board) subfloors. Since youve already replaced it you shouldnt have to worry about it for a very long time. Using this method is generally easier to install the cross support 1/2 under the existing subfloor. The subflooring is not your carpet or vinyl, were talking about the wood under that. The underlayment is excellent for smoothing and flattening interior surfaces before installing floor coverings. The question to you in this forum is given his living location, should the vapor barrier be under the subflooring, on the ground, or both places? Weve used beadboard paneling in a few mobile homes too. We have what was once pile carpet, but its 25 years old and its not completely flat, but its still got some cushion and a pad underneath. Eclectic and Unique Decor Park Model Homes Plane floor joists, sand subfloor, or sand underlayment to handle hump in floor for cork plank flooring? Ive seen special screws at Lowes specifically for bowed subfloors so you may want to look into that. I bet your floors look great hardwoods are gorgeous! Im looking to replicate the terrazzo style, but was concerned if it would still crack if the home was on a permanent foundation? Thank you. Manufactured Home Model Tours We have the cheapest laminate flooring Lowes sold in our kitchen and Ive been impressed with it for over 3 years. Or should I get 1/4" plywood and lay that on top of the risers? help! our step-by-step guide to replace flooring in a mobile home here. Crystal Adkins Secondly, tile is a great addition to bathrooms but when installing tile in bathrooms or laundry areas it must be installed correctly with proper pans and liners. You will probably need to replace subflooring in a mobile home eventually, especially if its an older home or you have encountered a leak. In the kitchen, mud room, and bathrooms moisture barriers are a must have! My original plan was to renovate one room at a time, beginning with the kitchen. No OSB in older units newer mobiles yes. DO MOBILE HOME ROOF COATINGS REALLY WORK? Ive walked many mobile homes as potential flips or investments. Start in a smaller room to perfect your technique. Replacing strips between subfloor and underlayment, Pulling up fiber board to install new tile flooring. This is not a job for someone that has never used a hammer. Is a PhD visitor considered as a visiting scholar? Resting on top of the joists comes the subfloor, the flat surface on which you install all other layers. You would frame it up with 2x4s (at whatever measurement you need to account for the plywood and make it even with the rest of the home). If I were you I'd keep those risers there. Manufactured homes can settle over time which is why it is recommended to do are-levelingcheck every 2-3 years. Since then Ive gotten another serious water issue with damage. Plumbing and Wiring Cottage Chic Decor State offices: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/states, Heres the HUD page about submitting a complaint: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/rmra/mhs/csp, and heres the biggie that could be the most beneficial to you The Manufactured Home Dispute Resolution Program. It's best to vacuum the particleboard first to help the glue adhere. its an omar 2006 model size 20 x45.. thank you.. kind regards, I have a 2009 Cavalier Mobile home I need to find out what the the shower is made of is it vinyl tile, fiberglass I have searched in my book but it does not tell me I need to find a kit to do it myself because we have hard water and when I first moved in I used bleach I think it took off the shine and now the hard water makes stains which I can not get clean. The point I am trying to make is, those improvements were easily done . The process of repairing a bad mobile home subfloor is not difficult, but it should be done with care to achieve the desired result: Lets look at each of these areas in a bit more detail to get a good understanding of how to do it right the first time. Replacing the subfloors can be a time-consuming and expensive process, but you can strengthen your subfloor without removing the particleboard by laying plywood on top of it. Luckily, your choices are endless when it comes to floor covering for mobile homes. Check it's load strength, but it may approach 100 pounds per square foot with 16 inch on center fastening. The smaller the pieces, the easier it is to get them out of your way. Lay plywood over floorboards by leaving about 1/8 inch between the plywood and the wall. Then the cross support is cut to length, dropped into the joist hangers, and finally attached to the hangers using screws. Mobile Home Friend LLC is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies. Let me know how you choose and if you can please take some photos. You wont want any kind of bulge so if its just the chair rail and not wainscoting youll just cut out the section where the rail will be installed. Why is this sentence from The Great Gatsby grammatical? However, many subfloors might not be the ideal surface on which to lay your finished floors. Use caution so you dontcut a joist. Should anyone want to install new insulation, any local home improvement store will have the type and size you need. And now my kitchen floor and under the kitchen sink is sinking. Plywood underlayment is the most common kind of underlayment because it is strong, durable, and you can sand it down to a smooth finish. Im not sure about luxury vinyl (Ive never been able to afford it). On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rank it a 7 because no specialty tools are required and the material list is short but it is a tedious job and it must be done right.