You can head to the largest city in Northern Norway (Tromso) or take some time out at the casual small town of Flam. Great Antarctic explorers like Roald Amundsen have described the seventh continent as . While both countries are brimming with history and Viking heritage, Norway feels more like another planet with sights you wont find anywhere else. Norway Travel The Land of Midnight Sun Is Calling, Make Your Reservations At The Upcoming Worlds Largest Underwater Restaurant In Norway, 12 Beaches in Norway Where You Can Spend A Tranquil Evening, 8 Magnificent Waterfalls In Iceland Every Nature Lover Out There Must Visit, The 7 Best Water Parks In Iceland For A Great Weekend Out, 10 Museums In Iceland That Must Feature On Your Euro Trip Itinerary. Trails may be a bit muddy but hikeable in Norway, and you might see the Northern Lights in Iceland. If you want natural beauty but not necessarily Alpine mountains, then Iceland. Lets dive in. While the case of population density is vice-versa. Matt Holmes is the Founder & President of Boundless Journeys. Explore similarities and differences. So, is Sweden better than Norway for things to do? Theres a lot of competition between the two countries, because Sweden is more populated than Norway. Suggested Read: The 7 Best Water Parks In Iceland For A Great Weekend Out. Be sure to thoroughly research the average weather conditions for any location you are seriously considering. }); $(window).resize(function(){ Finland's capital city Helsinki is a must for, Iceland Expects One Million Tourists In 2022, Norway's glaciers hide magnificent blue ice caves. The relationship between Norway and the Euro. 5. Many, if not most, of the mountainous areas of the northern hemisphere could be at least partially inaccessible due to snow in May. var layer = $(this); animation:'slide', Switzerland is a very expensive country, but as I said to a Swiss friend, "They are not making any more Switzerlands, so I guess we just have to pay up." Real stays. Also I prefer the norwegian landscape, it feels more accessible with beautiful forests, coast lines and fjords rather than rugged tall mountains. Trekking and outdoor activities are also popular here. Oslo is the capital city of Norway and is a hub for various tourist destinations. American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift, initially credited with the pseudonym Nils Sjberg, wrote the song and composed with Harris, who produced with Kuk Harrell.Rihanna and Harris had previously collaborated on her . Its easy to get around thanks to public transport, and the locals are warm and welcoming too. Chance of rain 100%. The beauty of the mountains and dense transport infrastructure is unmatched. In addition, both countries have fantastic alpine regions, which attract countless tourists every year. If you like the idea of splitting your days between nature walks among forests, museums, and shopping districts, then Sweden is a wonderful place for you. If youre trying to decide whether to live in Sweden or Norway, youve got a much tougher decision to make. Norway is good for steep hikes up high-drama peaks, where you can get your winning Insta pose - the trek up to Pulpit Rock is the classic example of this.. Sweden, meanwhile, has some amazing long-distance hikes, such as the Kingsleden, that wend their way through national parks . Start by checking out the amazing capital city of Oslo, where youll find some forward-thinking architecture and even heated roads to tackle the snow. I think that Switzerland has better public transport links and is more tourist friendly. 2/ Aurlandsfjord. Consisting of 18 main islands, the remote Faroe Islands are best known for their bird cliffs and unspoiled landscape. var cloned = el.clone(); Whichever country you pick, you are guaranteed breathtaking scenery. 2. Bergen Fjords. You can even see whales if you visit the right location at the right time. I've been to almost all of the places mentioned, and while many areas have spectacular mountains, what makes Switzerland unique (in the world, in my experience) is the easy access to amazing views via the myriad cable cars/trains, etc (which in part is what you're paying those exhorbitant prices for). Norway and Sweden have a lot of similarities, but Norway can be a lot more expensive when it comes to food and restaurant prices. if( ! directionNav:true, The country's total land area (excluding inland and sea waters). }); 2023 Rick Steves' Europe, Inc. | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy, The Dolomites (Italy) and Alpi di Siusi - as others have suggested there are some incredibly scenic places there -, Hallstatt and the Salzkammergut (Austria) - the village of Hallstatt is one of the most beautiful places I've seen in Europe. Stream Switzerland vs. Norway on Watch ESPN. Switzerland Train Times and connections for 2008 here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-gc-h_mpqvhN3BQUjJ5ZUsxcWgtZlR3Q2tPNmtVczhER0lz/view?usp=sharing. Norway is 10 times wider and less people, Switzerland sits in the middle of Europe surrounded by big countries, Norway is on the northern edge surrounded by ocean (and Sweden). 23 Apr 2023 - 04 May 2023. Additionally, Sweden is a little more restrictive with alcohol. You decide. I had prepared an excel sheet with train timings and connections for Switzerland. }); The makers drop their first song - 'Shubho Shubho,' a glimpse of which . It is a great nesting spot for the 30 species of birds who squat there every spring. Similar touristy feel with tons of restaurants, bars, grocery stores, and accomodations. For outdoor fans, there are tons of opportunities to go hiking along the fjords, with trails for people at every experience level. Theres plenty of isolated coastline, lakes and islands throughout the country if you need a break. downscale_only: false, -The scenery in Kashmir and Switzerland are both equally spectacular, but in my opinion Switzerland is far too overdeveloped. Sweden is more easily accessible by car, bus, train and air compared to Norway, and scores higher in infrastructure. After that we have about 8 more days left in our trip. Norway is a little smaller than Sweden, at 148,729 square miles, Although the country is also far less populated, with only a little over 5 million residents. The nightlife and shopping etc is better in Sweden. The colorful buildings lining Stortorget in Gamla. When you're house and pet sitting, you provide free house and pet care. Country Subcontinent Continent World. }; First, let's start with the colors. Sweden, located on the Scandinavian Peninsula, is an eye-catching environment popular among expats for its wonderful quality of life. Talk to our travel experts today. $('#metaslider_57782 .msHtmlOverlay').each(function() { To compare both: I do fully agree with the posts of tanmat2 and AshisRoy! The fjords are filled with snow-capped mountain peaks, rolling hills, and lush green flora. $('li:not(".flex-active-slide") .animated', slider).not('.disabled').each(function(index) { 6 Answers. We've taken umpty trips to that region and never get tired of the scenery. The fjords, mountains, and Sami culture were fascinating and blew my mind. Iceland vs Norway Affordability. A hike up the 400 steps can give a view of Fjellstua which is worth the time. and at least a two hour return ride to get provisions. Iceland is often called the Land of Ice and Fire and is mainly known for its rugged terrain, steep mountains, and wide landscapes. } We also provide a more detailed climate comparison of both countries. Two beautiful cats needing a friendly human to keep them company! 80%. }); While Sweden is brimming with magical forests and lakes, Norway is packed full of sensationally beautiful fjords and icy locations.. Zrich, Switzerland. orig_width: 300 By the way, they're also the three most expensive countries in Europe. The mountain ranges in Patagonia are also worth seeing. We plan to visit Zurich, Lucerne, Bernese Oberland, Zermatt, Montreux, Gruyere and Bern in the given order, with detours. $('#metaslider_57769').metaslider_scale_layers({ We have already had a Fjord experience in Milford Sound, New Zealand. Sweden vs. Norway. $('#metaslider_57769 .msHtmlOverlay').each(function() { $(this).css('display', 'block'); }); We travel because we love to soak in the beautiful scenery our world has to offer, and to immerse ourselves in different cultures. var slider = !window.jQuery ? The Aurlandsfjord is considered one of the most picturesque and dramatic fjords in the world. $('li:not(".flex-active-slide") .animated', slider).not('.disabled').each(function(index) { Is it worth it. Browse 18 house sitting opportunities in Regensdorf, Switzerland. Swiss the entire country is beautiful and being small, it is vey easy to travel without any issues. Consumer Prices in Switzerland are 34.8% higher than in Norway (without rent) Consumer Prices Including Rent in Switzerland are 43.3% higher than in Norway: Rent Prices in Switzerland are 69.2% higher than in Norway: Restaurant Prices in Switzerland are 25.6% higher than in Norway: Groceries Prices in Switzerland are 44.0% higher than in Norway It is well known for its raw and rocky landscapes and is often compared to the moon. var metaslider_57769 = function($) { Nighttime temperatures: 6.5 C. (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Visa requirement is also a determining factor whenever youre visiting a country, be it Norway, Iceland or any other. Iceland Air Business Class?? Choosing which stunning Scandinavian location to explore isnt easy. 4 Best Places to Visit in Switzerland & Norway - Travel Video-----LIK. }, Sweden is a lot greener than Norway, with tons of forests and beautiful landscapes to explore. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Scandification explores and celebrates the magic of Scandinavia. In fact, a number of gulls and petrals can be found in Antarctica. Based on 0-50 contributions for Afghanistan, Aland Islands, Andorra and 81 more countries and 50-100 contributions for Albania, Algeria, Armenia and 19 more countries and over . in three trips to the european alp areas , all in may, we have been able to drive around and tour the mountains, hike, catch cable cars etc. the other area that we very much enjoyed was surrounding the der dachstein , we stayed in ramsau, but there are other quaint villages nearby. Capital: Oslo; Population: 5,425,270; Surface Area: 624,499 km2; Ramya Narrates The Story Of 6 Girls On An Extraordinary Trip To Thailand. reverse:false, Svalbard is also an amazing place to watch the Northern Lights, as its remote location can mean less light pollution and better visibility. $(this).css('display', 'block'); . You can also visit Grimsey Island in Akureyri, which is a home to one hundred people and a million seabirds. before: function(slider) { In addition to that, Tromso is a great location for Northern Lights. Travel and lifestyle in Europe with a focus on Norway & Scandinavia. var cloned = el.clone(); Indo-European peoples settled Norway's coast in . 2. Both Sweden and Norway are among the top places in the world to visit and live. The Irish are also some of the friendliest people in the entire world who love to chat and meet visitors - so be prepared to meet and greet the locals! Tromso gives an excellent trip of the Storsteinen Mountain in the Fjellheisen Cable Car which offers visitors stunning views of the surrounding fjords and steep mountains. Norway has: 1.Education: Norway provides free education for all 2.Natural Beauty: Norway has natural beauty present in the form of northern Lights and snow 3.Infrastructure : Norway has better infrastructure 4.Mythology : Norway has an own mythology called Norse Mythology. Google up some pictures. But I am not sure how to upload it on tripadvisor. Vote. Oh PS- I'd consider a day in Basel, Switzerland if you can swing it! Actually I love any scenic places. Its also worth thinking about other expenses you may need to consider, such as the price of transportation if youre going to be using public transport or owning your own car. It is a geothermal spa, filled with seawater and has healing powers. Norway is best known for its unforgettable fjords, and its also a wonderful place to check out natural phenomenon like the Northern Lights. Also, the Nobel Peace Center located in the citys former railway station, Oslo is culturally rich and the people are amiable. window.setTimeout(timer_metaslider_57769, 100) : !jQuery.isReady ? On the plus side, if you do live in Norway or Sweden, youll benefit from things like excellent healthcare coverage, fantastic schooling opportunities for your children, and a wonderful environmental protection strategy. If youre choosing whether to live in Norway or Sweden, youll need to consider the costs associated with both locations. $('#metaslider_57782').metaslider_scale_layers({ You can visit UNESCO World Heritage sites, like Geirangerfjord, and check out some amazing waterfalls, or you can check out locations like Priekstolen and Pulpit rock. Norway is 10 times wider and less people, Switzerland sits in the middle of Europe surrounded by big countries, Norway is on the northern edge surrounded by ocean (and Sweden). High School Principal. They love this lifestyle and prefer "roughing it" rather than having all the amenities that most of us take for granted in the modern world (that would NOT work for me!). To get a better idea of how large the country is, you can compare it with a soccer field, which has 0.007km. Sweden's total area is 10 times larger than that of Switzerland. Greenland offers the most imposing natural scenery of the region. The expression has been Norway to visit, Sweden to live, because of the . Norway is 10 times wider and less people, Switzerland sits in the middle of Europe surrounded by big countries, Norway is on the northern edge surrounded by ocean (and Sweden) 6. Now read these: The pros and cons of living in Iceland The pros and cons of living in DenmarkThe pros and cons of living in SwedenThe pros and cons of living in FinlandThe pros and cons of living in Norway Choosing between Denmark and NorwaySweden vs Demark, how to decideIceland and Greenland, how they differ. But I am not sure how to upload it on tripadvisor. the BIG difference is price. Stream Switzerland vs. Norway on Watch ESPN. In an ideal world, youd be able to take your time adventuring through each part of Scandinavia at leisure. Interestingly, the average income is considerably higher at around 8000 CHF. layer.css('cursor', 'pointer').on('click', function(e) { more. Reykjavik was almost identical to Bergen. You could start in Sweden and work your way through to Iceland and beyond. Visit ESPN to view the latest Switzerland news, scores, stats, standings, rumors, and more ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-69567915', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');cruises etc. Why should guys have all the fun? In Norway, there are approximately 12.2 babies per 1,000 people as of 2020. Sweden cannot compare in terms of dramatic scenery. Norway is a bit more restrictive with things like camping as you can only stay for one day wherever you go. Jasper/Banff/Assinboine/Glacier ; all near Calgary, Canada Stein am Rhein is a European town that is so idyllic that it looks like it belongs in a fairy tale. Average temperature: -1 to 10 degree Celsius. I was there back in May of 2015 for about 2.5 weeks. var slider = !window.jQuery ? #17 in Best Places to Visit in Switzerland. Antarctica is a land of superlatives: the coldest, driest, highest and most remote continent on Earth. From world-class hiking trails to jaw-dropping fjords and the chance to catch a glimpse of the show-stopping Northern Lights, it can be hard choosing between the two. score for Swiss. The Nordic countries are known around the world for their unique history and culture. The fjords are rarely crowded, even in peak seasons, since there are plenty of vantage points to explore and photograph. The region is home to various world records, and its one of the best regions in the world for dramatic views. Low 32F. Norway is stunning, and along with Greenland, is the most beautiful country I've been to. $60.00. For some drop-dead scenery, I'd try the American Southwest in May: do a park trip of Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches & Canyonlands. $(this).css('display', 'block'); Both have high mountains, lakes, trolleys and glaciers. Everything you need to know about travelling in Scandinavia. minItems:1, June to August is the best time to visit Norway to chase the midnight Sun. Don't know enough about Patagonia, New Zealand or Nepal but those are others that many bring to similar conversations. Much of Norway is covered in frost and fjords, making it less habitable, but incredibly beautiful. When youre deciding whether to visit Norway or Sweden, make sure you think about your outdoor options. You should definitely visit during January, February if you really have a craze for Northern lights. Switzerland has very distinguishable seasons. [3] The festival opened with Franois Ozon 's drama film Peter von Kant. Or a selection of those. So as much as we love the Swiss Alps (and hope to be back many times), we still are drawn to the American and Canadian West while we're still able to complete longer, more strenuous hikes (and enjoy the search for moose, bear, elk, eagles, etc.). Norway is 10 times wider and less people, Switzerland sits in the middle of Europe surrounded by big countries, Norway is on the northern edge surrounded by ocean (and Sweden) 6. Norway, the beautiful land of midnight sun or the island of fire, Iceland? I think that Switzerland has better public transport links and is more tourist friendly. This museum hosts the best-preserved 17th century ship in the world. We find Austria so much cheaper and easier to travel through than Switzerland. Switzerland, a small landlocked country, covers an area of 41,285 sq. Today, were going to be covering the differences and similarities between Norway and Sweden. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-91202434', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Iceland a lot, I prefer Norway. Your kids will love Disney Land & Ocean Park! 4. bgwalthermart. The best mountains, public transport system esp trains and gondolas, (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? You should expect to pay around $21 USD for a basic meal at a restaurant with a drink in Norway, whereas in Iceland you'll be paying $16.50. Hi, Are you ready to discover the most famous landmarks in Norway? I love both countries and since I was not able to decide, I made. Iceland is "Eh? While the scenery is far more impressive in Norway for most people, youre going to need more time and money to get around all the best attractions, as its not as easy to explore this unique landscape. Norway has plenty of delicious food and drinks to explore, just like Sweden, as well as happy people who will welcome you into the area. Re: Norway or Switzerland. Wonderful Goa Family Package 3D/2N @ Rs 6,500, Riveting Rajasthan Vacation 3D/2N Package @ Rs 6,499, Enchanting Uttarakhand Tour 4D/3N Package @ Rs 7,199. It depends on what you are looking for or want to see. According to My Life Elsewhere cost of living index, restaurants are 75% more expensive in Norway than Sweden, groceries are 50% more expensive and transportation is 65% more expensive. 67-Year Old Sridhar Tells How He Beat The Odds & Took A Solo Trip To Dubai. Contents1 Is Norway more beautiful than Sweden?2 Is Norway better than Sweden?3 Which [] Most any mountain area you are taking a chance with a May trip. Its a very difficult task to choose a specific destination for your next travel list. Both countries follow a similar approach to distributing alcohol, like most Nordic countries. The average cost of living in Norway ( $1844) is 29% less expensive than in Switzerland ( $2604 ). 1 280 km. Switzerland Train Times and connections for 2008 here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-gc-h_mpqvhN3BQUjJ5ZUsxcWgtZlR3Q2tPNmtVczhER0lz/view?usp=sharing. Danish shoe brands: Fall head over heels for these Danish shoes, The best Scandinavian Christmas tree decorations and ornaments, What is Stockholm known for? that can be toured with an experienced guide. pauseOnHover:false, Norwegians are perhaps more individualistic than swedes, but swedes might be more fun. And if youre keeping in mind the preference of Norway vs Iceland, it is one of the most difficult tasks because both offer incredible scenery, hidden gem experiences, and unique food and culture. easing:"linear", Take a once-in-a-lifetime ride up to the everlasting snow at Europe's highest train station, 3454m (11 . Get answers to your questions about Iceland, Wild camping with a vehicle is illegal in Iceland, What ,,not to do when traveling in Iceland", Taxi/Bus costs from KEF Airport to Reykjavik. Scandification 2023. It seems there is almost no mountain area that you have easy access to (including a restaurant and berghotel) - because of this access we fully expect to be able to hike in Swiss Alps well into our 70's - this is also a factor if you're taking kids along. Nearly half of the inhabitants of the country live in the far south, in the region around Oslo, the capital. Consider the Jasper / Banff area of Canada or the fjord country in Norway. Norway has the same kind of right, where you can walk around freely, as long as you protect nature, and dont leave any trash wherever you go. Sweden's flag features blue and yellow, designed to personify generosity (yellow) and justice, loyalty, perseverance, and vigilance (blue). Situated right along the stretch of . Theres also the Liseberg Theme Park for families, and the Lund Cathedral if youre looking for a glimpse of some wonderful architecture. There are a lot of high-quality restaurants in Sweden where youll expect to pay a lot more. Here, youll learn what you can expect when you visit each of these countries, as well as what you might need to consider when migrating. New Zealand in February is fabulous whereas Norway then is very cold. Scandification is a participant in Amazon Service LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. window.open(layer.attr('data-link'), layer.attr('data-target')); Myth No. The mountain peak offers stunning views of the city of Alesund along with the surrounding islands. However, if you do feel like a change of pace, you can always hop on the Oresund bridge in Malmo and make your way over to Denmark for a quick daytrip too. Rain. minItems:1, Both have high mountains, lakes, trolleys and glaciers. For example,Tenet,Ex MachinaandDunefeature fantastice Norwegian fjord landscapes. Aren't you located either in or near Toronto? Key Facts. However, if youre limited in your visitation options, or youre looking for somewhere to settle, you need to make a more concrete choice. This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. As observed on the physical map above, it is a highly mountainous nation covering nearly 60% of the country's area. var timer_metaslider_57782 = function() { This is why a lot of people who work in Norway will actually live outside of the country and commute every day. The natural attractions of Icelandlava fields, hot springs, geysers and blue ice glacier cavesare seemingly endless, yet theres a new destination that everyones talking about in 2022. Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Finland and Denmark are the five principal countries of the Nordic region. slideshow:false, Norway, country of northern Europe that occupies the western half of the Scandinavian peninsula. }); on all of our trips we have found switzerland 'punishingly' expensive compared to other areas. }); Truly inspiring DIY set design, and a beautiful musical score that you'll find yourself humming long after the film has ended." --Bailey Hart (filmmaker) Support local journalism. ET. Not Adventure Lovers? Though I enjoyed (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? . }; Despite their similarities, there are a . Head over to Bergen as the gateway to the fjords and grab a guided tour to check out the scenery. just the reverse, there has been just enough to enjoy seeing it ( on the sides of roads etc) at higher altitudes. window.setTimeout(timer_metaslider_57782, 1) : metaslider_57782(window.jQuery); 4: Penguins are the only antarctic birds. Offseason is the best period for adventure freaks to visit these places. Another vote for the Dolomites , I would not be tempted to define this as more beautiful than Switzerland , simply different , an equally sublime beauty . We will also call you back in 24 hrs. Suggested Read: 12 Beaches in Norway Where You Can Spend A Tranquil Evening. prevText:"<", In Sweden, you can find low-percentage alcohol in the supermarkets of up to 3.5%, Norway sells alcohol in the supermarkets up to 4.75%, and everything else needs to come from a specialist retailer. Moreover, it contains 175 species of plants in the area. $(this).remove(); Though both Norway and Switzerland are very mountain-centric countries. Sweden is a Swedish country with many lakes, forests and islands, while Switzerland is a Swiss inland country with no coastline. Northern Lights In Norway. It contains nearly every plant found naturally in Iceland, as well as various other species of plant. -Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries in the world. It is also called the gateway to the iconic northwestern fjords and surrounding alpine mountains. Usually, you can move between Scandinavian regions quite easily when youre there, so you can split up your days however you choose. We are really confused between Iceland and Norway right now. Stein am Rhein. Real travel stories. Better in what way and what for ? Norway and Switzerland have some similarities, because of the mountains, but it's the fjords that make Norway so stunning (which Switzerland obviously doesn't have). 8.74M. before: function(slider) { Sandeep Illustrates On The Best Activities For A Family Trip To Mauritius. Nordic nations Iceland and Norway are both known for offering spectacular scenery and intoxicating adventures bordering the Arctic Circle. There are a number of shopping malls, fancy restaurants, parks that will help you relax during your trip if you visit this place.