She became a delinquent, drinking hard and ignoring school. Her 1967 single "Tell Mama", was a superb performance of a Clarence Carter song on which she sounds like a female Otis Redding, but the B-side, was her poignant blues ballad "I'd Rather Go Blind", written with a prisoner she had met, Ellington Jordan. "The great Beyonc," James sneered. James was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 1993 and she wrote her autobiography, Rage To Survive, with David Ritz in 1995. Her income came from live performance and it hardly mattered that she was being cheated as her money went on drugs. "She was [just] a little down that she wasn't well enough to be there," her son said. She recorded standards on Blue Gardenia (2001) and All The Way (2006), but the title song of Blue Gardenia was sung by her mother. During Ettas early days at Chess, she was very open in having a relationship with Harvey Fuqua, member of the Moonglows and later played a pivotal role in the formation of Motown Records. He had previously performed "School's Out," by Alice Cooper. Like the song says, 'I just don't want to be free . "Haven't we all, Jenny?" Xoxo," and a giant ice cream cone all appear in the first package, Says she is a "hopeless romantic" and calls herself a "Black Liz Taylor" to start the second package, "When I fall in love with a guy, I'm all in. Their son, Donto, was born in 1968. Do you prefer to call or text? Shes a living legend and I want her to love the movie, and I hope she does., Its not the first time Beyonce has had a run-in with a soul icon. Speed Dating Clue: Have you ever ghosted someone after a date? He suggested that she reversed her first name, becoming Etta James, and he gave her the sobriquet, "Miss Peaches". "Well, I was supposed to be here with some other sweet things but now I'm all alone," she says. She was an actress and composer, known for Sgt. Etta James tried backtracking on her criticisms of Beyonce and President Obama late Thursday. Time Travel Clue: A ripped up suit jacket circa 1975. Speed Dating Clue: Would you ever date an ex again? I'm grateful for the hardships that I've overcome because they've made me who I am", She says all of our hearts are destined to be broken, but it's "what we do with the pieces that makes us extraordinary", A red jewel, clock set to 50:60 (or 10? Discovered in 1954, James, who was born Jamesetta Hawkins, became one of the most influential singers of her time, known for her bluesy riffs and slow burning melodies. Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies. However, James Rogers had an argument with the pastor and they moved to another church. The following guys appear: The Rock (listed as "action star"), a clown with the name Joe Kerr IV, a party boy named Couch Surfer, someone named Sour Doughboy, Austin Tatious, and Fly Guy, "I've definitely loved and lost, but heck, that don't mean I can't get back on the horse", "Mr. King of Hearts should have emotional intelligence, he should be smart, he should be handsome, he should be outdoorsy", Says she's never sung in French before, but she's been practicing, A balcony, a bouquet of pink flowers, candles, and hearts appear in the second package, "One thing I've learned in my life is the power of words," she says to start the third package, "Telling me what I should and shouldn't wear, what I should and shouldn't look like all because I was a woman", The words "stupid," "simplistic," "dumb," "chubby" and "untalented" all appear from a bunch of megaphones, But she says she's thankful for her experiences and she hopes that she made it easier for other people to follow her path, A book of sketches, the moon, a black cowboy hat, and a card that says "with love" all appear in the third package, In the fourth package, she says she wants to lean into the one thing that sets her apart her heart, "This next song reminds me of the best worst time of my life. Their truth is not built with the intent of gimmick-like controversy but a need to be true to themselves no matter the cost. Who did he connect with the most? How do you de-stress? What's it like inside the Mallard costume? YEBBA, #SoulfulSaturday: Nadine (Is It You) George Benson, #SoulfulSaturday #Visuals Good Foot Pokey. Why'd he pick the Dalmatian costume? The Great Etta James is a major female star. "I have this Forrest Gump-ian way of touching something and it becomes a hit!" He was dating Gwen Gordy, the sister of Berry Gordy, who started Tamla-Motown records. With Fuqua, Etta went on to sing songs like I Just Want to Make Love to You, If I Cant Have You and later became the duo Betty & Dupree on Kent Records while also recording on Chess due to the lack of money they were paid on Chess. She says food always makes her feel better, so why not dress up like a cupcake to cheer up that loved one? Judges' guesses: Faith Evans, Mary J Blige, Toni Braxton, Sade, Lauryn Hill, Janelle Mone, Fantasia Barrino, Taraji P. Henson, Queen Latifah, Tamar Braxton, Jennifer Hudson, Cynthia Erivo, Jill Scott, Brandy, Judges' guesses: Dennis Rodman, Dwight Howard, Shaquille O'Neal, Judges' guesses: Paula Abdul, Issa Rae, Maya Rudolph, Jessica Alba, M.I.A, Nelly Furtado, Vanessa Hudgens, Zoe Saldana, Judges' guesses: Aisha Tyler, Tiffany Haddish, Chelsea Handler, Tracee Ellis Ross, Judges' guesses: Brian Littrell, Sisq, Dwayne Johnson, Darren Criss, Justin Timberlake, Zac Efron, Rufus Wainwright, Donald Glover, Anthony Ramos, Leslie Odom Jr., Taye Diggs, Cheyenne Jackson, Lil Nas X, Billy Porter, Usher, Jason Derulo, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Adam Lambert, Jaden Smith, Jeremy Pope, Tituss Burgess, Neil Patrick Harris, Judges' guesses: Danny DeVito, Bill Murray, Andy Richter, Jack Black, Rob Schneider, David Spade, Paul Rudd, Martin Short, Marc Anthony, Gabriel Iglesias, Judges' guesses: Hugh Jackman, Vin Diesel, Chuck Norris, John Travolta, Bruce Willis, Rod Stewart, Gordon Ramsay, Judges' guesses: Britney Spears, Fergie, Rene Zellweger, Ireland Baldwin, Ashley Judd, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Kacey Musgraves, Jessica Simpson, Jewel, Kristin Chenoweth, Kelly Clarkson, Sia, KT Tunstall, Paula Cole, Christina Aguilera, Miranda Lambert, Kellie Pickler, Judges' guesses: Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, Alan Jackson, Freddie Prinze Jr., Nick Offerman, Jon Bon Jovi, Mario Lopez, Kiefer Sutherland, John Rich, Dog the Bounty Hunter, George Foreman, Judges' guesses: RuPaul, Roberta Flack, Tina Turner, Leslie Jones, Grace Jones, Tina Knowles, Judges' guesses: Nelly, Katt Williams, Reggie Bush, Judges' guesses: Katharine McPhee and David Foster, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, Craig Robinson and Ashley Tisdale, Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello, Sarah Bareilles and Josh Groban, Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster, Jeff Goldblum and Emilie Livingston, Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick, Zooey Deschanel and Lamorne Morris, Jessie J and Ed Sheeran, Ryan Tedder and Leona Lewis, John Krasinski and Emily Blunt, Judges' guesses: Olivia Rodrigo, Kesha, Hailee Steinfeld, Lady Gaga, Pink, Idina Menzel, Ellie Goulding, Sara Bareilles, Judges' guesses: Howie Dorough, Aaron Carter, AJ McLean, JC Chasez, Lance Bass, Tyler Hubbard, Jim Parsons, Jake Gyllenhaal, Judges' guesses: Dee Snider, Ricky Gervais, Roger Daltrey, Elon Musk, Simon Cowell, Joe Elliott, Flea, Judges' guesses: Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs, Kendall and Kylie Jenner, Khloe and Kim Kardashian. Billie Holiday was one of many influential jazz singers during the period known as the Harlem Renaissance. Our Mission If Etta James's life had not been weighed down with personal problems, mostly bad management, ghastly lovers, obesity, incarceration and heroin addiction, she would have been acclaimed as a remarkable female soul singer alongside Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone and Tina Turner. She was raised by two friends of Dorothy's, Lulu and James Rogers. It had a theme that was replayed in numerous James' records her boyfriend with another woman. Meet the Team If you could give your past self some dating advice what would it be? To promote the album, she opened for the Rolling Stones on a US tour. "Nicole, I think you could say that we have a love connection," she says. With that said, it greatly disappoints me that in light of her authenticity, this truth has failed to be depicted on the screens of Hollywood. Third performance: Sang "Let 'Er Rip" by The Chicks, Fourth performance: Sang "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga. You know the one with the big ears?" When Beyonc played the role of Etta James for last year's Cadillac Records film, she performed At Last for the soundtrack. "The Alps." He's bringing all the energy," she says, Says he's making her rethink some things: "I need more passion, I need more emotion, I need more soul, honey. She was previously married to Artis Mills. ", "I grew up in a small, small town that was surrounded by cows. "Tamera never acted delusional before. "This show's a riot! This material may not be republished, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. I mean the glitz, the glamour, some of the most iconic people in the world," she says to start the third package, Says she used to be "the hostess with the mostest" but now she limits the "people I allow into my personal space", She says as you get older it's okay to "remove the wrong people from your life", This week she is singing something she can relate to, a song about leaving the glitz and glamour for a "simpler, more positive life", Family-size box of cookies, a food platter with donuts, shrimp, and grapes, and a disco ball all appear in the third package, "You know, I've thought about what life would be like if I had a time machine probably more than the average person, to fix one of my biggest regrets," she says to start the fourth package, Her regret? It had been retitled"The Wallflower" under the pretence that it promoted a dance rather than sex. "I would pick Ken [Jeong]. After she referred to Tina Turner as the queen at the 2008 Grammy Awards, Aretha Franklin long known as the Queen of Soul issued a statement that said, I am not sure of whose toes I may have stepped on or whose ego I may have bruised between the Grammy writers and Beyonce However, I dismissed it as a cheap shot for controversy.. "I get dressed up in a freaking caterpillar costume." "All you have to do is plug it in and let's get the party started," she says. Are you a book or movie person? Offers may be subject to change without notice. "Well, being known as 'fascinated' has always been my true, First package is set in a 1950s-style diner, "Oh my God, I can't believe I'm here! "Coming in as the wildcard definitely makes sense, because my whole life has kinda been wild," she says to start the first package, Says she was thrown into the game at a very early age and in the spotlight for a very long time, "I had famous recipes and I even had a hit single that I recorded in just one take, okay? Who would she date? With songs from the Eagles, Alice Cooper and Kiki Dee, Wexler was seeking a white, rock audience. "Uh, probably." In 1973, James was arrested for passing bad cheques and entered hospital for rehabilitation. I was blind in my love life, and I was blind in my personal ways. The At Last album (1960) included a sultry "Sunday Kind Of Love", arguably the best-version of this much covered song. In a world filled with smoke and mirrors, it always inspires me to see and experience artists who exude a powerful sense of truth. It's, Someone she loves got some bad news about their health. says the actress. James asked from the stage of Seattle's Paramount Theatre. "I've always been a fan of school spirit, but nothing makes me happier than the cheer of the crowd," he says. Time Travel Clue: iPod circa 2001. To protect her income (or so she thought), she named her lover of the moment, Billy Foster, as co-writer instead of herself. Though Etta had a mother figure in an older woman affectionately named Mama Lu, Etta's life spiraled after her death.