He was also a congressman in 1791. before 1900, probably before 1890. Magnolia Plantation was passed down through the Drayton family, and the gardens were enhanced by Rev. But its an interesting part of American history, and I think we all have that patchwork of good and bad. Children were slave owners., Although the two descendants disagree about the 1831 rebellion, there was no animosity in the room during the discussion, says Cooper. Transcriptions of both free and slave schedules. And what role does violence play in that?. Whitney's other stepfather, Arthur G. Altschul, was even more well-known. Personal and family letters, undated slave lists, and plantation account receipts. About Family Bible Records: The . I give and bequeath unto my loving son Solomon Boykin all my lands County with his wife Georgia Ann and children. Abstract Papers of an important Dallas County, Alabama, planter family, including correspondence, household and plantation records, materials regarding James Boykin's cavalry unit during the Civil War, and papers of Boykin's descendants down to the mid-twentieth century. Georgia. Copies of the deed, James Boykin to the Western Insurance and Trust Company, Columbus, Ga., appear in two places: in the Muscogee County Courthouse (Columbus, Ga.) Deed Book A, page 321-322; and in the Stewart County Courthouse (Lumpkin, Ga.) Deed Book A, pages 516-518. The mom of two is keeping her family's legacy alive by passing along the family name to her and Thomas Ravenel's 4-year-old daughter, Kensington Calhoun Ravenel, and 2-year-old son, St. Julien Rembert Ravenel. Sometimes, they have white patches on their chests, adding a dash of panache to this sturdy companion's confident bearing. . I give and bequeath to my son Francis E. Boykin and my son in law James R. Jones as trustees for my daughter Mrs. Clara Billups & her heirs the following slaves to wit Chancy a woman about fifty years old Suzan a woman about twenty four or twenty five years old with her child William. William; she was 105 years of age born in VA. William all named a daughter Carrie/Caroline and He would go on to serve as secretary of state and spend the rest of his life representing South Carolina in the United States Senate. Rick Francis is no defender of the horrible institution practiced by his forebears, but he does not see Nat Turner as a heroic figure. Got me excited. Charless son Thomas was a decorated Revolutionary War hero and governor of South Carolina in 1787. The history of the Pettways who came to Bridgeport begins in the small, rural town of Gee's Bend, or Boykin, Ala. Family members learned to quilt there during their years working as slaves on the . ykin, William Boykin, Zilpha Boykin, Abraham Boykin, John Boykin, James Alexander Boykin, Sr., Susanna Boykin, Francis "frank" ary Boykin, Jesse Boykin, Abraham Boykin, William Boykin, Zilpha Boykin, John Boykin, James Alexander Boykin, Susanna Boykin, Francis Boykin, Solomon Boykin, Unknown Boykin (born Judith). 3: Connections Not Traced 1964 . 1820-1827 and she married 2nd to Isham SHERLING 14 May, 1827 in Putnam County. Subscribe to The Daily Dish podcast, join our Facebook group, and follow us on Instagramfor the latest news hot off the presses. "The character in The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald named Jordan Baker, that's my great aunt. Whats more, one of Boykins slaves murdered him with a farm tool. On assignment for 60 Minutes, Anderson Cooper went to Southampton County, Virginia, to the place where Turners bloody rebellion took place in 1831, resulting in the deaths of an estimated 60 white people-- and the deaths of untold numbers of slaves and free African-Americans. There is no way of knowing specifically when the mill was built. The notebook contains records of accounts and supplies for a plank fence on his plantation "to be made by the M & C R. Road Co. and Thomas Fearn"; information on cotton crops, supplies at home and at his plantation, and . One user named Treebranch02 wrote last September: Well, I think I found the slave owner that owned my great, great, great grandfather but that is as far as I got. Lemuel Whitaker Boykin "Whit" Boykin (1861-1932) experimented with crossbreeding different breeds resulting in South Carolina's state dog. In 1779 he or his son John received a grant of 109 acres of land in Northampton Co., NC, which was sold in 1784 to Howell Edmunds of Northampton Co. Also, in the same 1850 U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedule, her son William R. . Anderson Cooper put the question to them both: Is Nat Turner a hero? The corn we sold yesterday brought 3.15$ per barrel. Scope and Content Southampton County (Va.) Free Negro and Slave Records, 1754-1864. L McCraney 4/01/13. As I looked through census records and other documents, I found a transcript of his will. Arthur Ravenel Jr., a descendant was a South Carolina congressman. For enslaved women in particular, slave narratives speak to the ubiquity and constant threat of sexual violence at the hands of enslavers, their family members, overseers, and others. recently deceased.] On my fathers side, Im descended from plantation families that enslaved Africans and African Americans in Mississippi and South Carolina. at Caernarvon in Wales, but this is unsupported tradition. As a descendant of slaveholders and Confederate soldiers, I want to tell the truth about the evil that my ancestors and the Confederacy perpetrated, the repercussions their crimes have today, and how I and other white people still benefit from discrimination against people of color. The last U.S. census slave schedules were enumerated by County in 1860 and included 393,975 named persons holding 3,950,546 unnamed slaves, or an average of about ten slaves per holder. Wonderful site.. MOORE. Thanks for any help!! Mary Boykin Chesnut, the most cited chronicler of the American Civil War, witnessed history close up. The collection includes family, business, and military papers of Boykin family members, chiefly 1830s through 1862. . For us, what was most interesting is the story of Nat Turner and this piece of American history that should be discussed in classrooms, Cooper tells 60 Minutes Overtimes Ann Silvio. Discovery Company. The free, public website also provides a high-resolution copy of the antique documents that identify the slave. Winburne ODOM and Mary also had daughter Emily. Dec 24 1787 - Burke, Georgia, United States, May 1860 - Choctaw, Alabama, United States. In each of the documents some of the same (or similar) names appear and reappear. Depends on whose descendants you ask. Its a database for the ones that are coming up. He does not appear to have been a slaveowner, but his father, also named Stephen Boykin (1797-1864), was. Few planters were as candid, even in private; any blood relationship between planters and slaves was seldom acknowledged and frequently denied. Shep is related to the Boykin spaniel's namesake. If you use this information, please cite this blog post as you would any source in your research: Citation: Rachel Dobson, The Names of Enslaved People Belonging to James Boykin and his Family in Documents from 1839 to 1846, URL: https://genealogyhomebrew.wordpress.com/2018/04/30/enslaved-people-of-james-boykin-1839-1846, accessed [date]. To fight something which is so unjust, what is justifiable? Edward corrected on 19 Aug. 2004. Addie/Adaline. 13, There Often there was a human connection, and they grew up with these people, and they recorded their birth dates and deaths. Charleston's iconic Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge is named after Thomas' dad. Her cast of characters includes slaves and brown half brothers, poor whites and sandhillers, overseers and drivers, common soldiers and solid yeomen, as . land in the Quit Rents of 1704. Notes from: John Boykin Sr. was a major in the Revolutionary War from Virginia, DAR #6820 In the period 1782-1787, he was listed as a taxpayer in Southampton Co., Va as 1 poll and 8 slaves. Learn more. . Burwell to death. died in Dec. 1886 Putnam County. The actual number of slaveholders may be slightly lower because some large holders held slaves in more than one County and they would have been counted as a . name Nancy BROWN, age 70, born Georgia was The dog breed, the Boykin spaniel . B.B. First Generation 1650 Fort Boykin Isle of Wright, VA: 1. Robert Payne, who attended Saturdays workshop, said hes been researching his family for the past 15 years, but finding information about his ancestors wasnt easy. After winning races across the country, he eventually got a horse that was said to have a bloodline that could be traced back to the fourth Triple Crown winner in history, War Admiral, and bestowed the Gentry name upon him, according to Gentry Bourbon's official website. There is also the possibility that Caroline may have instead been owned by Boykin's father Winborne before his son, however he was to have died in 1874 in Putnam County (but there is no cemetery evidence to support this date of death). The remarkable joint interview is featured on this weeks 60 Minutes Overtime web show (watch in the player above). Her grandfather Rembert C. Dennis served as a legislator in the South Carolina Senate from 1943 until he retired in 1998. I am posting them here in hopes that the information will help African American genealogists and family researchers who are looking for clues about their ancestors. was listed on the 1820 Census of Putnam County, with (near The Terraces). Boykin Family. The disparity is especially stark for black women, who are the most-educated group in the country, but have the highest unemployment rate among women in the United States. This was good for me, however. There is evidence, though not verified that Ebin had Bloomsbury--now a bed and breakfast popular with students in town for The Buckley School's Executive Seminar--was visited frequently by Mary Boykin Chesnut. . He found Burwell's will which included the above. Their invocation of blood and soil should be a reminder of the Africans, African Americans and indigenous Americans whose blood was spilled on American soil. What I Learned from My Slaveholding Ancestors, How to Help After Earthquake Hits Turkey, Syria, Your Privacy Choices: Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads. Mrs. Clara (Boykin) Billups was James Boykins daughter and the wife of John R. Billups. Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community. The database features a public message board, filled with notes posted by users searching for ancestors who may have been slaves. (53124) GENEALOGICAL NOTES Bagby Family. The Boykin Spaniel is the state dog and it gets its name from Rose's family. Does ayone have the Redmond Boykin Kemper Co Ms Boykins? Some 80 people came to Saturdays workshop, including Gale Carter, a high school history teacher who flew in from East Chicago, Indiana for the event. Raised in a prominent Southern family. The major difference between the two deeds is that there are four peoples names that appear on the Muscogee County deed that do not appear on the Stewart County deed, either because of illegible handwriting or deteriorated paper. 2016 - The plantation was for sale with an asking price of $3.5 million. Other papers include sales receipts for slaves, foodstuffs, tools, and other hardware, as well as papers regarding James Boykins cavalry unit during the Civil War. The society stores the documents in an archive spanning thousands of square feet, he said. With her former slave, she eked out a small income$140 a yearwith which she supported her husband and various relatives who returned to Camden, South Carolina, and the Mulberry plantation. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. The rebellion is the subject of a new movie, The Birth of a Nation by writer, director, and star, Nate Parker, whose own troubled past has been making headlines. . Theyll be able to take it and grow from that.. Geni requires JavaScript! and asked, 'Have you learned your lesson?' Caroline a girl sixteen or seventeen Green a man twenty one or twenty two Peter a man about seventeen and Wilson and their increase from this date in ti[me] to & for the sale and separate use and benefit of my daughter Mrs Clara Billups and her heirs. This series contains correspondence, records for medical expenses for his household and plantation, domestic and business expenditures, and records of cotton sales. From the 1870 census (in which all persons were named), proceed backwards to the 1860 and 1850 slave schedules that list, under the name of the owner, each slave only by sex, specific age, and color. Chesnut and her husband built two houses in Camden in the 1840s and 50s--Frogvale, built in 1846, then Kamschatka, a house later owned by the Buckley family. 1818) 1 male 26 but under 45 1 female under 10 (Emily) 1 female 26 but under 45 (Mary b. Mr. Thornton 4-Elizabeth Boykin mar. Son of Solomon Boykin, Jr. and Judith Boykin First published on October 2, 2016 / 6:41 PM. A woman by the B. Boykin Rose comes by that middle name by way of his mother's family, the Boykins, who have a whole town in . Lucy isnt named among them. The private, nonprofit historical society, the fourth-oldest in the nation, is assembling a growing roster of slaves names and other information, such as the slaves occupations, locations and plantation owners names, said Levengood. 86: . While the online website is intuitive on how to use, the workshops are being held for users who need more guidance, Levengood said. White supremacists have called, so I must respond. Arthur Allen Georgia, she was age 57 living with my .css-o05pt{display:block;font-family:Didot,Didot-fallback,Georgia,Times,serif;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:0rem;margin-bottom:0;margin-top:0;-webkit-text-decoration:none;text-decoration:none;text-shadow:0 0 0 #000,0 0 0.01em transparent;}@media (any-hover: hover){.css-o05pt:hover{color:link-hover;}}@media(max-width: 48rem){.css-o05pt{font-size:1.18581rem;line-height:1.2;margin-bottom:0.25rem;margin-top:0.625rem;}}@media(min-width: 40.625rem){.css-o05pt{line-height:1.2;}}@media(min-width: 48rem){.css-o05pt{font-size:1.23488rem;line-height:1.2;margin-bottom:0.5rem;margin-top:0rem;}}@media(min-width: 64rem){.css-o05pt{font-size:1.39461rem;line-height:1.2;margin-top:0.9375rem;}}How to Help After Earthquake Hits Turkey, Syria, "Trans Lives Matter" Protest at Oklahoma Capitol, VP Harris Calls for Reform at Tyre Nichols Funeral, 5 Police Officers Charged for Tyre Nichols's Death, California Mass Shootings Spark Gun Control Debate, Biden Awards Citizens Medal to Jan. 6 Heroes, FDA Rule Could Expand Access to Abortion Pills, Brittney Griner Returning to WNBA This Season, Brittney Griner's Return Is Just the Beginning, Biden Signs Historic Same-Sex Marriage Bill, Brittney Griners Wife Shares Photos After Return. also in the same household. They hanged Sandy him after they found him." The Muscogee County deed is more complete, and lists the names and ages of 54 enslaved people, so that is the document from which the names come: In 1820 in Baldwin County, Ga., James Boykin had seventeen of his own slaves (whose names I know of no record yet), separate from his fathers or his brothers. He was the son of Winborne ODOM b. Northampton Co., NC and Mary BENNETT.Mary was the daughter of Bowen BENNETT b. Yes, he is, says Bruce Turner, because he saw an opportunity to try to correct something that was an extremely bad evil. He believes Nat Turner was a freedom-fighter who started a movement that helped end the institution of slavery. 1859. Mary Boykin Chestnut was the wife of a wealthy South Carolina planter who kept a diary during the Civil War. Microfilm reels C001 and C321. May, 1827 to Isham W. SHERLING/SHIRLING in Putnam Charlestons alleys occupy spaces that blur the line between public and private areas and offer remarkable insight into the citys history. Mary Boykin Chestnut was a famous Confederate author, whose diary encapsulated life in the upper-class society during the Civil War. B.B. When the white supremacists chanted blood and soil in honor of a Confederate general in Charlottesville this weekend, they were invoking me and people like me. The Union and the people it freed technically won the Civil War, but my ancestors had already helped build a society that would always favor them and their descendants based on the color of their skin. Amazed, Cooper told Gates that he had little sympathy for his slave-owning relative. Chestnut takes particular offense at the sexual dynamic produced by slavery, in which slave women must endure a system of forced prostitution, and the wives of slaveowners live in a state of denial about the patriarchy of the . Boykin Jr. may have been the son of John Boykin and Anne Gwaltney. Pinckney is another name youll see time and again in Charleston. Our material, social, and political interests are naturally with the whites.. Research Boykin in the Surnames forums on Genealogy.com, the new GenForum! Immediate Family: Son of Solomon Boykin, Jr. and Delilah Boykin. The last U.S. census slave schedules were enumerated by County in 1860 and included 393,975 named persons holding 3,950,546 unnamed slaves, or an average of about ten slaves per holder. Georgia and died 17 Dec. 1886 in Putnam County.. Rutledge Avenue runs from the northern edge of Downton, all the way to the southern tip of the peninsula. ODOM was the only ODOM slave owner in Putnam County in 1860 and all 5 black ODOM families including Caroline ODOM lived close to Boykin Bennett ODOM in Eatonton,PO in 1870. Henrys other son William married into the DuBose family and owned a plantation. You can still visit the 60 acres of gardens in addition to the plantation house. had Anne Gwaltney married to Edward Boykin I, however more recently it . Boykin Spaniels' eyes shine in different hues of brown, amber or yellow and are oval or almond in shape. The Boykins are so steeped in South Carolina's history that there's a town named after the family about 90 minutes north of Charleston. They went to live with James' parents at Mulberry, the Chesnut . In 1830, he was the largest landowner and slave-owner in Randolph County, GA (soon to be Stewart County). The dog breed, the Boykin spaniel (the state dog of South Carolina) is also named after the family.