Local Gun Search; Advanced Search; Browse Categories; New Today; . Your $25 Instant Credit will be automatically applied at checkout. Even so, I knew about and admired the Model 71 and its cartridge. Shop with your new CLUB Card and start earning CLUB Points today! John Battenlifelong friend to OConnor, a mentor to me, and another serious sheep hunternever took his Model 71 sheep hunting, but he described it as the very best for big woods whitetail hunting like that found in his home state of Wisconsin. and I see our 348 Winchester load as MINIMUM for such large coastal grizzly. Please see our photos and good luck! I would have been interested in the Model 71 even if I never heard of Henry, simply because its an interesting rifle. When 30-50 people per day send emails asking for tracking information and we have to pull that information up, then type it out and email it, it takes a huge portion of our work day that we should be using to ship those orders to customers in need. 10 Best 6.5mm Rifle Cartridges Available Right Now, Top 10 6.5 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge) Rifles, 6.5 PRC vs 6.5 RPM What You Need to Know, .45-70 vs .450 Bushmaster Cartridge Clash, How Rifle-Shot Recoil Affects Scopes, Rings and Bases, 7 Top .17 HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire) Rifles, Kimber Hunter Pro Desolve Blak - A Lightweight Heavy Hitter, Browning BLR Lightweight '81 Stainless Takedown Lever Rifle, Mossberg Patriot Predator 6.5 PRC Rifle Review, Review: Springfield Armory M1A Loaded Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, RCBS ChargeMaster Lite Review: Not 'Lite' on Ability, Remington Model Seven SS HS Bolt-Action Rifle Review. The .348 Winchester is certainly an interesting cartridge. Quantity . The initial result scared me, producing more than 3,000 fps and flattened primers. The right of the barrel is marked BROWNING MODEL 71 CALIBER .348 WIN. The latest Winchester/Miroku Model 71 carried a 2013 MSRP of $1469.99 for the Standard model (with a select walnut stock) and $1659.99 for the Deluxe model (with a Grade IV walnut stock and cut checkering). It is easily evident that the Japanese reproductions are of higher quality than the original Winchesters. You can contact Customer Service by calling 800-300-1723. 24" barrel. Although not a lever-action guy, Jack OConnor wrote kindly of the 71 and, in the late 1930s he used the .348 to take one of his desert bighorns. Winchester had chambered the previous Model 1886 for .33 Winchester (.338 inch bullet) and the Model 1895 for .35 Winchester (.358 inch bullet). The .348 was a new cartridge developed to be a one-shot-does-all, replacing all of the chamberings of the 1886 from .33 to .405. I have read many times that the 71 will pound the shooter with recoil. These loads are running in the 2200 to 2500 fps range. In those days, I could shoot apertures well, being accustomed to them from military shooting. If it is not in your spam folder, that means we have not yet shipped. I tend to think of it as a bigger-bored .30-06, or a .35 Whelen for lever actions. In 2013, Winchester quit making 348 brass, so weve been out of loaded 348 ammo since 2014. So this created a rarity in the history of sporting rifles and self-contained metallic cartridges: The Model 71 was never chambered to any cartridge except .348, and the .348 was never factory-chambered to any rifle other than the 71. Enter Starline brass. And I dont think the 24 barrel would give that much more velocity either. Introduced in 1965 with the .444 Marlin cartridge, the Model 444 was the most powerful lever action of its day. In fact, it could be worth everything. Keith got his wish because apparently the 250-grain load came along shortly. If your order it less than $25, you can use the remaining balance on another order by choosing to Redeem CLUB Points area within checkout. They added a Lightweight Model, then an Extra Lightweight. It is easily evident that the Japanese reproductions are of higher quality than the original Winchesters. The body taper difference should be apparent. Winchester, and more, you can count on SCHEELS' ammo to provide shot-to-shot accuracy and power. A decade earlier it used the unknown 0.277-inch bullet for the .270 Win.. That worked out okay, so perhaps the company expected the same success for the .348 Win. Attention!You must be 18 or older to order ammunition. The Model 71 .348 Winchester was manufactured during 1986 and 1987 in rifle configuration with a 24-inch barrel, and in carbine with a 20-inch barrel. It was called the Model 98A Bolt Peep sight (Similar 98 variations were made for other Winchesters). The blackpowder-era cartridges it used were old. Myself, Id usually prefer to shoot a heavier bullet at a slower speed. If youd like to change an order, we can no longer do that till things slow down, so simply place another order for more product, but PLEASE, NO MORE CHANGES after the fact! You may now add this item to your cart. Tips, techniques, and equipment are applied to these classroom discussions on how to become more proficient and successful at making long-range shots while hunting with AR-platform rifles. Overall, this rifle is in about Excellent condition. Another thing I have read about is the 71s reliability. By the way, although people call the 20 Model 71s carbines, Winchester didnt. Like I said earlier, I still dont see what the .348 Winchester will do that a 45-70 will not. Model : UPC : 810301021457. If he heard fish were biting in Missouri or moose were spotted in Canada, he would be gone and take only what supplies were in his car trunk or truck bed. As it is with the 20 barrel, it has plenty of muzzle weight to hold steady in standing. Recently, I wanted to use the .348 for California feral hogs. Id rather have something bigger for really big bears, but lets face it: That will never be a common use for me, and probably wont be for most other people either. It was brand new, still in the box with the papers and plastic wrapping it came with in 1987. The .348 Winchester is an American rifle cartridge. What a fitting rifle for an outdoorsman. Browning Model 71 Carbine 348 Winchester Grade 1 & High Grade In Box Unfired Collector Quality Description: Description: Up for sale is a beautiful Grade 1 Browning Model 71 & a Hi Grade Model 71. } Check local laws before ordering. [citation needed] The .348 is also the basis for the .348 Ackley Improved, The .348 Ackley improved has about a 200 fps advantage over the standard pushing the 200 grain FTX bullet at 2800 feet a second with some of the new hybrid powders. "Cartridges of the World 14th Edition". }. I couldnt resist. Simi Valley, CA 93065. Sights / Optics:The front sight is a hooded beaded blade dovetailed to a ramped base which is screwed to the front of the barrel. In this pre-scope era, Winchesters 94 was still doing fine, but the 86 was costly, and sales were down. OK, so its a fine rifle. As with all previously owned firearms, a thorough cleaning may be necessary to meet your maintenance standards. The left of the receiver is factory drilled and tapped with a Lyman 66 A receiver sight installed, adjustable for windage and elevation. We have not fired this rifle. It isnt a short fat benchrest-type case we are told we must have today in order to get that .001 smaller group. If you are using a screen reader and are having problems using this website, please call 1-800-227-7776 for assistance. The 71 action looks just like it, but seems really wide and hefty in comparison. The magazine tube is approx two-thirds the length of the barrel rather than running completely out to the muzzle. . Of course this is Brownings version of the Winchester 71. You can filter the list of items shown by selecting attributes. Please try again at a later time. I think of the Winchester 71, and I picture one laid across a red and black plaid Pendelton wool jacket in some north woods cabin. A full length magazine tube on a big rifle adds weight out front that is nice for standing still and taking a deliberate shot, but can make it more sluggish in close range workwhere this one is intended to be used. Please refine your selection. )20 Round Box. The group began to grow fast by the 5th shot.After my 6th shot I could'nt take the recoil. I got my first Model 71 about 20 years after the rifle was discontinued, and it came with some component 150-grain bullets. This is one of the most powerful lever gun cartridges ever designed and can drop any North American big game in the woods. Model: 71 Carbine, Limited Edition Grade I, Action Type: Lever Action, Tube-Magazine Fed Rifle. Starting at that big base, the case body tapers quickly to the shoulder. I have no answer to that one. Browning Reproduction of Winchester Model 71 - 20-inch barrel. When we manually change orders it requires a lot of time that we do not have during this rush and it keeps us from serving all of our customers. The rifle is hand engraved by T. Naka and comes with a Williams peep sight attached with factory holes. Copyright 2014, 2016 by David Tong and/or chuckhawks.com. I ordered a box. In designing the .348, Winchester started with the .50-110 case, which had the largest head and rim of any rimmed lever action cartridge. Do not contact us and ask to change an order youve already placed. You dont see that much. Post World War II examples used the so-called short tang and the stock's shape was broadened and lengthened. Winchester model 71 .475 Turnbull The Model 71 represents a cherished and simpler time in America. Id guess more than a few of the new Brownings were bought with the plan of converting it to one of the Alaskan cartridges. The worst pounding I ever got was from a 7mm Remington Magnum, and this includes comparing to 45-70s and 375 H&H Magnums. The stocks have only a few scattered minor nicks and scratches. The top of the barrel at the rear, the top of the chamber ring, the left of the bolt and both locking lugs are each marked NP. And that quite honestly covers most big game hunting situations. Please help to demonstrate the notability of the topic by citing, Barnes, Frank C., ed. Overall Condition:This rifle retains about 99% of its metal finish. Browning made them for less than a year across 1986-1987 only, and in similar variations as Winchester. Overall, the stocks are in about Fine-plus condition. The Standard had a smooth walnut pistol grip stock, while the Deluxe featured four panel checkering on the pistol grip and forend, a pistol grip cap, detachable sling swivels and (on pre-war guns) a bolt-mounted aperture sight. Barrels were rifled one turn in 12 inches. The Browning reproduction pictured above is my only remaining firearm chambered in 348 Winchester. Check out with Sezzle and split your entire order into 6 monthly interest-free payments. from a 24 inch rifle barrel. and Winchester Model 71 Lever Action: A Great Combo for Big-Game Hunting The .348 Win. If you wish to ship non-Ammunition items air freight and purchase ammunition, they must be purchased separately. Nothing has shot really bad, and I dont recall anything reaching 3. Your CLUB card has been saved to your account. Best ammunition for rifles and guns for sale. Winchester does periodic runs of 200-grain .348, and in 2019 Hornady added a 200-grain .348 to its LeverEvolution line. He was no stranger to hard work, and my dad spent a lot of time working with him, but Henry was known to simply disappear on short notice and be gone for weeks at a time. Markings: The left of the barrel is marked BROWNING ARMS COMPANY MORGAN, UTAH & MONTREAL P.Q. at 100 yd., but my rifle seems to be heat sensitive. Today, this window has shrunk. Browning Model 71 High Grade Rifle .348 Win. Reality, however, was that neither Marlin nor Savage had a lever action big enough for the .348, and neither the Marlin 336 nor the Savage 99 required a rimmed cartridge. J. Scott Rupp takes a first look at the Springfield M1A Loaded rifle chambered in the popular 6.5 Creedmoor. { The new stock accepted the Model 70's buttplate, which improved gun mounting. In order to max out the action and wring out maximum performance, for its .348 Winchester took a step back in time, using the big .50-110 blackpowder case, which has a diameter of 0.553 inch and a massive 0.610-inch rim. This rifle remains in Very Good condition with only. I had to fix that. The Model 71 was provided with a tubular "half magazine" that held four cartridges and protruded only a couple of inches from the front of the forend. The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user. You must find one of these vendors that will handle your ammunition order. _________________, NY: Due to New York State ammunition regulations, Black Dog Ammunition cannot ship ammo to the Burroughs of New York city. At 200 yards, the 200 grain Power Point is still rolling along at 1866 fps and packing 1546 ft. lbs. At current order rates, we are shipping within 5-7 business days of the time an internet order is placed. Rifle also comes with RCBS reloading dies. The 86 was the first lever action designed for Winchester by John Moses Browning, and it was intended to house powerful, large-cased blackpowder cartridges. The rifle is a faithful reproduction of the Winchester Model 71, chambered in the original cartridge and made in 1987 as part of a limited edition run. It was introduced in 1936, and developed for the Winchester Model 71 lever action rifle. But if 20 barreled Winchesters sell for more, Id think it is due to relative rarity and not actual preference. We will have to have a copy of their FFL or their resellers permit. you can get loaded ammunition from Buffalo Bore, using a 250 grain bonded jacketed flat nose at 2250 fpsand running around $80 for 20. We can ship ammunition to the rest of New York State, but we must ship through a Federal Firearms Licensee or what the state calls a "Registered Seller of Ammunition". We have not fired this rifle. I have heard it said that they will feed when held at any angle, including upside down. .348 Winchester.35 Remington.35 Whelen.350 Legend.357 Magnum.375 H&H.38 Special.38-40 Winchester.38-55 Winchester.380 Auto.40 S&W.416 Rigby.44 Remington Mag This rimmed, bottleneck, centerfire cartridge is based on a necked-down .50-110 case. They made fewer 20 rifles to begin with, but if I remember right, they took longer to sell. The high grade Walnut does have a few signs of wear in the finish, but presents . To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. (The Model 71 was discontinued in 1958. Ammunition cannot be shipped air freight, due to shipping regulations. Available In-Store Now. In addition to hunting and fishing, he would head off on other adventures. Serial. Mounting a scope does nothing for the looks of a classic lever action, and while the vintage Weaver is trim and light, the mount is heavy and adds weight to a not-so-light rifle. You will need to save your CLUB card in order to purchase this item. The 1886 is one of their later lever actions, and the 71 came out 50 years later. Mine have all been rifles. As a lefty, theres little interference with fit and feel. If your application was successful, you should receive your CLUB Card in the mail within 7-10 days. So there is the answer- an 1886 receiver sight works, as I suspected. of kinetic energy (Winchester figures). "seo_url" : "https://www.basspro.com/shop/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=3074457345616676768&categoryId=3074457345616957269&productId=3074457345624419856&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=715838534", Four of those were the Browning reproductions made in Japan. Mostly, I have owned and shot military or sporting bolt action and semi-automatic rifles. It features considerable body taper and a 19-degree, 4-minute shoulder. My 71 came out of the box it had been in for 20 years and was tight as a drum, but it was really slick in spite of not being worn-in. In designing the .348, Winchester started with the .50-110 case, which had the largest head and rim of any rimmed lever action cartridge. Uncheckered satin finished walnut stock. . Right now, we expect you to do your part to help us all get the ammo we need in our troubled country. Barnes makes some .348 diameter bullets in 220 and 250 grain, plus they have made 165 grain bullets that seem to come and go from the lineup. You can almost tell when an 1886 was made by weighing it. Something that fit the image Winchester wanted. Any more might be a little too much. The 71 was not a completely new action at all. The bottom-front of the receiver is marked with the serial number. "partNumber" : "3681251", Winchester offers loaded ammunition with a 200 grain Silvertip bullet, and Hornady makes a good 200 grain soft point .348 bullet for reloading. Well, they finally got it done and it is excellent brass. What It Is Not. 2,810 ft.lbs. Anything with the power of the .45 and .50 bores cannot have a very flat trajectory unless loaded so heavy the recoil would be murder. It swings off to allow unimpeded use of open sights. Buy a Browning model 71 .348 online. Until things straighten out in our government and society, we will have to streamline our customer service in order to serve all customers. The top of the barrel at the rear, the top of the chamber ring, the left of the bolt and both locking lugs are each marked NP. He probably considered it overpowered, but Id love to know the circumstances and which bullet he used. Its not bad at all when standing. . Specifically developed for the Winchester model 71 lever action rifle, the .348 Winchester will push a 150-grain bullet to almost 2900 fps and a 200-grain bullet to 2500 fps. Ruger Revolvers and 45 Colt +P Ammunition, HEAVY 10MM OUTDOORSMAN Handgun Ammunition, Heavy .38 Special +P Pistol and Handgun Ammo. The 1892 and 1886 are some of the smoothest actions around, and the 71s slight internal changes supposedly improved on that. Your email address will not be published. Expect around 100-150 fps less from a 20 inch carbine barrel. Limited edition. The plate has strong finish and strong checkering. Luckily, some guys around here play with revolvers in Linebaugh calibers that use a cut-off .348 Winchester case, so the local gun shop had .348 brass in stock. HOW WILL THIS (name any) AMMO FEED AND FUNCTION IN MY GUN? The Standard had smooth wood and no factory sling swivel studs. The recoil also pushed the bolt back, making ejection difficult, and damaging the brass.My Winchester 71 has been rated as "excellent" condition, and now I have an excellent load to match. One of the Model 71 improvements was to replace the original leaf mainspring (hammer spring) of the 1886 to a more durable coil spring, which made cocking the hammer lighter and the trigger pull smoother. Whether it's a hunting rifle, tactical AR, or 22 rifle, we've got it! Please see our photos and good luck! The bull didn%u2019t make it 50 yards after the shot and it had a full pass through. On larger game, performance was awesome, but that applied on both ends. introduced in 1903, and later in 1955 it would bring out the .358 Win. There are no chips or cracks. When the Alaska Highway opened, he took a trip up there in his Ford pickup and drove it for fun (it took him weeks). I dont use lever actions all the time, but I love them dearly. Im back in business with the .348 as a favorite hog rifle. It was introduced in 1936, and developed for the Winchester Model 71 lever action rifle. 94 W. Cochran St., Suite B For many years, Remington offered .348 ammo using a 200 grain Core-Lokt soft-point bullet with the same ballistics as the Winchester 200 grain load, but this load was discontinued in the late 1970s. Big but beautiful, with clean, elegant lines and a smooth action. Sights / Optics: The front sight is a beaded blade dovetailed to a hooded, ramped base which is screwed to the front of the barrel. The big 1886-type lever action could survive, but only in a modernized form, with a new model name, and with a jazzed-up cartridge. The .348 was originally intended as an all-around woods cartridge for use on Class 2 and Class 3 North American big game (from deer to moose). Introduced in 1935, the Model 71 was a simplified version of John Browning's 1886 Winchester, the lever gun he designed to shoot heavy black powder cartridges. Our single 348 Winchester load operates at or under the old SAAMI guideline of 43,000 CUP, so it is safe to use in any/all rifles thusly chambered, that, Having killed dozens of bears, including many grizzlies,I have formed an opinion or two on bear cartridgesOur 348 ammo is very capable of killing/stopping aggressive interior grizzly, which rarely, Hooded Sweatshirt-Gunmetal Heather/Army Heather, Hooded Sweatshirt-Gunmetal Heather/Navy Heather, Hooded Sweatshirt-Charcoal Heather (New & Improved). It was a pretty exotic thing to hunt and fish in other states at that time, so he was a regular celebrity among the local hunters and fishermen. On the other hand, I have a hard time thinking of anything it can do that a 45-70 cannot. The Deluxe had a checkered pistol grip and fore-end and detachable sling-swivel studs. The cartridge's considerable recoil, especially in the carbine model, and the substantial weight of the Model 71 rifle, limited its popularity as a deer cartridge in the lower 48 US states. To show viewers how to succeed at long range, J. Guthrie gears up for a challenging shot while chasing Colorado pronghorn at long range with DPMS' Panther 6.5 Creedmoor. But by the 1930s Winchester had a problem. With the Hornady 200 grain jacketed softpoint, my 71 makes five shot groups in the 2 to 2.5 range at 100 yards. What kind of guns did he have? These years are approximates since Winchester start and end dates from that period get a little fuzzy. The 200-and-250-grain (13 and 16g) loadings are preferred for anything past 100yd (91m). Sell your Browning model 71 .348 for FREE today on GunsAmerica! The 250-grain bullet was a real powerhouse. All other areas in IL require FOID faxed or scanned and emailed to us on file BEFORE ordering. The stock and forend are heavier than those of most lever actions. Please leave us alone so we can serve all of you. You only had four choices with the 71. Contact Us T If my research is correct this model was manufactured in the mid 1980's. He said Henry had talked about a .348. "ItemImage467" : "https://assets.basspro.com/image/list/fn_select:jq:first(.%5B%5D%7Cselect(.public_id%20%7C%20endswith(%22main%22)))/3681251.json", The recoil impulse from a 400 grain bullet at 1700 fps will be different from a 200 at 2500 fps. The Model 1895 was dropped around this time also, so the 71 would effectively replace two rifles. At 54.7 grains, accuracy was excellent, there were no pressure signs in my rifle, and velocity was 2,830 fps. The big lever action had ceased to be a huge seller before the 71 came along, and honestly never was. I preferred the Marlin, because of its solid top receiver and locking system. "catentry_id" : "3074457345624419856", If you choose not to create or sign in to an account, you can use your $25 credit when you receive your physical card in 7-10 business days. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions. This is not a big number for Winchester, but it was not a small run, either. _________________, IL: No ammo to Chicago. Today Skinner Sights makes a receiver sight for the 71/86. If our web site allows you to order any item, that means it is in stockWE DO NOT TAKE ORDERS FOR ITEMS WE DO NOT HAVE! I started casting bullets about the time i got my 71, and the .348 seemed a natural for cast bullets so I got a mould from Rapine Moulds designed to make a 235 grain gas checked bullet. Or in the woods behind the cabin. Four of those were the Browning reproductions made in Japan. Winchester ~ Model 71 ~ .348 Winchester. That is a huge spread. Back in the 1980s and 90s, when I was shooting the .348 quite a lot, 250-grain bullets were already scarce.