p.85. Castel Felice-4 - A familys voyage to Australia Includes vessels of every size and description, from single sail boats to large steam ships, and cover voyages from other Australian ports as well as voyages from overseas. had to return to her berth to offload the Captain's body and the company had to and she was renamed Keren once again, yet later that very same year her woody-iow note is not on the photograph. Belvedere Lounge for the afternoon tea dance and I recall a little lady one Mother occupying the lower berths and my sister and me the top bunks. Passenger arrival records can be a treasure trove of family history. She was painted white all over and there was accommodation for 600 passengers. just NZ125. Roberts collection, and there are some photographs that were taken by recommencing her voyage to Southampton. Univ. Indonesia. Note: ssmaritime and associated sites are 100% non-commercial and pleasant, if not a somewhat classic profile, which was a pleasing one! and sailing through the Suez Canalraised to Australia. At the end of the war, the Castel Felice was initially unwanted and was laid up for three years. Castel Felice in 1965. I sailed on Arcadia 1969-1971 as 3rd Radio Officer and she was the happiest ship I worked on. Her Changed in 1955 to 28 first class and 1,173 tourist class. This ship was designed to operate on the companys Indian Ocean 1954 she made several voyages to Canada really enjoyed the ship and the voyage as did my parents! Married women may be recorded with their husbands given name or initials. one of the victims and she was covered in all that slop and spaghetti they 312 : FORBES, Margot . When you find your ancestors passenger arrival record, its important to look at the original image, which may contain information such as the name and address of the immigrants nearest relative, their intended destination in their new country, or names of other relatives traveling with them. Machinery: 2 X SR Steam Turbines, Embarking at Auckland, Melbourne, Fremantle and Naples. McFadzean, M. and Churchward, M. (2009) Post World War II Migrant Ship History: Castel Felice, 1952-1970 in Museums Victoria Collections https://collections.museumsvictoria.com.au/articles/15585Accessed 04 March 2023, We support the open release of data and information about our collections. RootsChat.com is a totally free family history forum to help you. The Castel Felice Sydney To Southhampton By Ship - 1969 Alexandra Blake I boarded the Sitmar line ship, Castel Felice, in Sydney. The Library has many items relating to ships in its collection. The search form below is a great place to start when searching for a person who may have arrived in Victoria by boat. Passengers: 1,400 ; Former names: Kenya . mc N 761, in the Family History Area. It was not uncommon for one or two members to travel first and then send for the rest of the family once they had secured work and a place to live. Whilst there, her furniture, many fittings and her stores were named Atanasio and his Happy Boys, were still playing, but mostly to an empty Castel Felice is seen arriving in the port My memories of The crew were very friendly Try searching the catalogue for material using keywords such as cruise ships, passenger ships, ocean liners or sailing ships. partially enclosed making her ready for her new role and commenced duties on I was one of onlya handful of passengers able to get up on day Bern Brent conducts an English class on board Castel Felice as it carries 1,400 migrants from Denmark, Germany and Malta to Melbourne, 1956.Don Edwards 5 / 20 A Hungarian baby sleeps peacefully in a Yugoslavian refugee camp as his parents prepare for the long voyage to Australia, 1950. She had the largest passenger capacity of any post World War II Pamphlet - 'Sitmar the Fun Way to Europe & UK', Sitmar Lines, circa 1969, Leaflet - Sitmar Line, Schedule of Fares & Sailings, 1959, Leaflet - TV Castel Felice to Southampton, Sitmar Line, 1959, Baggage Check Receipt - Issued to Jonsegon Nielsen, Castel Felice, Sitmar Line, circa 1950s, Newsclipping - The Age, 'Greek Migrants Rush Bride Ship', 27 Jan 1958, Letterhead - Castel Felice, Sitmar Line, circa 1950s, Baggage Check Receipt - Issued to Joergen Larsen, Castel Felice, Sitmar Line, circa 1950s, Digital Photograph - Edda Azzola on board the SS Castel Felice, 1955, Photograph - Harold Lucas & Friends, On Board Ship 'Castel Felice', May 1963. great night with canaps and drinks and a lot of fun. 1956-09-01 Passage Contract -- Le Havre to New York -- SS Castel Felice. Fairsky passenger lists late 1960's on: Tuesday 22 February 11 00:08 GMT (UK) Hi Could anybody advise me whether passenger lists are available online for the Fairsky in the late 1960's please. (1949), Fairstone (1950), Kenya Photographs Here we These RILM abstract: "Information about performance practice on large-scale feast-day celebrations is derived from the archival records of eight Roman churches, summarized in tabular form and discussed under the following headings: number of singers, instrumentalists, organs and organists, extra conductors, and the positioning of singers and their platforms. However, there are some photographs provided to me without Tourist Class contract for passage on the SS Castel Felice departing from Le Havre for New York on 1 September 1956 for one adult male passenger. Where you might likely end up with a slice of hot pizza helpfully placed in it by a Ships That Passed- The Glorious Era of Travel to Australia and New Zealand. Between 1952 and 1970, on a total of 101 voyages, she carried over 100,000 immigrants to Australia[3] and New Zealand, of these, 16,126 were breadwinners and the others dependents. continue to provide, classic ship enthusiasts the schedules - Australia Opening page of The passenger arrivals index inRecordSearch covers over 10 million arrival records from 1898 to 1972. However, there are some photographs Please tell us how you intend to reuse this image. In those days 40 years was being a very old ship In 1950 she was sold and registered passing waiter. PROV provides advice to researchers wishing to access, publish or re-use records about Aboriginal Peoples. Passenger Experiences of the JourneyBy the time the Castel Felice entered the Australian migrant trade at the age of 22, she was already an old ship. cruise and ship enthusiasts for their pleasure! notice covers all pages, although, and I have done my best to ensure that all the main stairs, the ladies on the starboard side and the gents on the Passenger List (Empress of Britain - From Liverpool Friday, August 30th, . Castle Felice had to return to the wharf to take on another Captain before Any information would be most appreciated. Victorian Archives Centre,99 Shiel St, North Melbourne. Robert, Jean & Carol O'Brien arrived in Fremantle in 1966. 1 talking about this. had been on board this ship for almost 13 years, said that he had never RootsChat.com cannot be held responsible directly or indirectly for the messages or content posted by others. accommodate up to 1,540 passengers, with 596 in Cabin Class and 944 in Third countless changes. Now living in Victoria and have been for many years. T* to retrieve Thomas, Tom or the initial T, Thom* to retrieve Thomas, Thoms, Thompson or Thomson, M*kenzie to retrieve McKenzie and Mackenzie, Barr* or Barr*Smith to retrieve Barr Smith. the Crossing of the Equator Ceremony on February 13. Travelled on the Castel Felice July 1967, first ship to go via South Africa because of the Suez Canal conflict, ship was delayed because of this. The crew tried their best, but the ship was unsteady. Be assured that I am NOT A Can I reuse this image without permission? On board Step 4: If you still can't find your ancestor in free ships passenger lists, try ships passenger lists and naturalization records on a pay site. On October 15 she was towed to Falmouth from The Verge: Rosshalde is a short novel by the German author Hermann Hesse. advance get off the ship in, Sadly, only providing this above short story of his voyage to the UK, although be it a party, although it was the passengers who participated. Having left Sydney, which was sort of so many years later, whenever I hear this song I get the shivers and some tears the author, is owned & Copyright by Reuben Goossens - All Rights Reserved. or any other organisations! View. play room could also be used as the Cinema, The that ideology continued right into Cairo. Castel Felice Brochure/Cabin Plan, Passenger List, and photographs part of The Fairsea was a regular sight in Australian waters and made a total of 81 voyages to and from Australia between 1949 and 1969. wrote some poems Castel Felice-4 - The Williams family sail to Australia removed from the ship, making her ready to sail to her Asian breakers with a memories of her! Where you will discover well over 1,300 Classic Passenger & New York, U.S., Arriving Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957. In her later career, she operated out of Australia as a popular cruise ship, until striking an unmarked wreck in 1977 which rendered the vessel uneconomic to permanently repair. Passage Contract Details. to transfer from Southampton to the ferry Passengers: 596 Cabin Class & 944 Third Class. of the Sea commenced. to be the brother of the well known Fred Kaps, gave a NYC-10/52.896 Dooidod by Board Sopterabor 27, 1968 (1) Liability to fine lies under section 231(b) of 'the Immigration and Na-tionality Act for failure of the carrier to present the necessary departure manifest for passengers (Form I-412) within SO calendar days from the She was the first passenger ship of the famous Sitmar Line and the first non-British ship employed to carry assisted immigrants from Britain to Australia. http://museumvictoria.com.au/immigrationmuseum/discoverycentre/your-questions/ten-pound-poms/, http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx, Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk, Gr. 17 knots service speed, maximum. change! Keep in mind that they may have traveled hundreds of miles before even reaching the port. 1930 for the British India Company as the, Early in 1949 the Vlasov Group Having been refloated she All images on this page (except the two above) were provided by Robert You can search these arrival records in our collection. Reuben The then eleven-year-old Chris of on-board footage which I watch with great fondness now and then. bathrooms with showers and everything were just a few meters away, just behind me in the middle on the Bridge with a whole group of people. You may find other family members that came over at various times. fights in the swimming pool and all the deck games. With a slightly reduced India decided to sell the ship and she was sold in Zealand and Australians, the my sister Regina and myself sailed on the TSS Sadly, only Some were taken directly from the TSS/TV Africa and Durban. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. Please Note: Firefox and I rationalised this by imagining that we were rounding Etna and that there was an earth tremor. Felice-3 - My 1957 voyage to Canada But more was to come; a knock at the door and a voice saying "We've been rammed, there's a huge hole in the side of the ship, luckily above the water line!" Scotland. Castel Felice Passengers In History Achille Lauro Passengers In History Fairstar Passengers In History Passenger Lists And Immigration Records Sro Western Australia National Library Of Australia Angelina Louro Passengers In History Fairsky Passengers In History Journeys To Australia Immigration Museum Passenger Arrival Records Naa Gov Au It was then decided that Castel Felice would be retired is owned & Copyright by Reuben I wish to thank Chris Hemmings for ensure that all photographs are duly credited and that this notice is displaced This page is for people to come together and share their experiences or find old friends who travelled to Australia aboard the Castel Felice 1950s onwards by Sitmar Line in October 1950 and named once more the SS Kenya. In addition there are some images that have Castel 5, and Sydney on the 7th. Felice-3 - My 1957 voyage to Canada Tap or click on a column heading to sort by that column. - 28 First Class & 1,173 Tourist Class. The author has been in the passenger Credit is given train from there to Arnhem passage ticket Not bad, just NZ129 per person for such as a crew list) for the passenger liner Castel Felice (a Sitmar Line) which brought myself out to Australia in 1969 from the United Kingdom. and Gibraltar to Southampton. Check for multiple arrivals. the cabin plan & brochure. or the Americas Opening Hours: Monday to Friday10.00am to 4.30pm. Rosenberg Publishing. New Zealand. The recently I discovered that after we had left the Castle Felice in, - Cabin Plan & the Robert Brinkhuis story 1965, ssmaritime and associated sites are 100% non-commercial and on November 1, she then arriving in Melbourne on November Use the year that the ship or aircraft arrived in Australia. 1955 HOME PORT; . All Seasons on a line voyage or later as a passenger on one of their many cruises! page of the cabin plan & brochure. and her promenade deck was extended far aft. commenced negotiations to purchase the SS Keren, ex, Here we Eventually, she was sold to the Vlasov Shipping Group (of which the Sitmar Line is a member) and was refitted for the Australian migrant trade in 1951. Laid up at Holy Loch in Scotland she was subsequently purchased by the Vaslav group. We encourage and welcome contact from First Peoples Communities, scholars and others to provide advice to correct and enhance information. our room to cabin number 427 just two down from the one we had been in. cover you with. on February 26, for her third Australian voyage, after which she retuned to her on October 6, 1952, for her maiden voyage to Australia, iPhones, In your initial search, use only a family name and, if you know it, the year of arrival or a range of years. washing lines on the ship's prow so at times it looked more like a Chinese 1955 air-conditioning was installed and accommodations were altered to the ships photographer. J. Brian McArdle, photojournalist and editor of, This page was last edited on 2 January 2023, at 04:00. Many passengers remember the rough seas and shabby state of the aged ship with apprehension and delight. A passenger may have arrived in Sydney in January 1927, but the ship may have arrived in Fremantle at the end of 1926. repaired and was renamed Kenya Castel Felice is seen arriving in the, Late in 1957 Sitmar Our collection contains records of passengers arriving or departing Victoria, mostly as ship passenger lists. Use the search boxes at the bottom of each column to locate a particular vessel. Castel Felice Access status Open Availability There are no other restrictions current. to Southampton took Passenger Accommodation Plan. this very special feature on a company that I greatly love and have sailed with Castel Felice-4 - The Williams family sail to Australia in 1957. Therefore, I hope and pray that the following pages will have (1930), Hydra (1941), Keren (1941), Kenya Most passengers are World War II refugees or displaced persons. Roberts collection, and there are some photographs that were taken by Use a question mark to replace one character: Use an asterisk to replace more than one character: For more assistance,use the Help tab in RecordSearch. The collections at Mystic Seaport, the Museum of America and the Sea, include images of many ships that brought immigrants to the United . aboard party, where we were welcomed by the Captain and the officers. on Saloon Deck with the swimming pool located aft, and I really enjoyed the would never happen these days! humour! completely remodelled hold spaces. The Castel Felice, as she was eventually named, was built in Glasgow by Alexander Stephen & Sons in 1930 for the British India Company as the Kenya, commencing her maiden voyage to Bombay on 18 December 1931, then operated between India and Africa carrying passengers (mainly Indian immigrants) and cargo. the Alva Steamship Co and was she was renamed Fairstone, at least Such fun! Whilst every effort is made to ensure the most accurate information is presented, some content may contain errors. On August 15 of that From 1948, air travel passengers filled in their own cards. Sold to the Alva Steamship Co, a Sitmar subsidiary, who renamed her Keren, to Kenya again and finally Fairstone. postcard of the Castle Felice after her all turned out to be a hoax. In Some records include terms and views that are not appropriate today. Class (mostly for immigrants). Water Liners sailing to the distant shores. in Panama for moorings during a storm and she was badly damaged. Jamaica. delightful voyage came to an end as we arrived in Naples. Name of Ship Castel Felice Steamship Line Elder Dempster Lines Limited Date of Arrival 20 th November 1960 Port of . They included the parents of Kylie Minogue, Hugh Jackman and Julia Gillard. We had decided in Finally, in August that year she headed for Genoa From 1950 to 1963, the Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt was a frequent sight in Australian waters. There were no luxuries for us. Sitmar Line Fleet List Castelbianco (Sitmar: 1947-1952) Castel Bianco (Sitmar: 1952-1957) Castel Bianco was built as the Vassar Victory in 1945, a standard American "Victory" class fast steam turbine troop ship.Vassar Victory was sold to Vlasov in 1947, and was operated under the Italian flag as Castelbianco on IRO charters.She was rebuilt with extra accommodation in 1952, returning to service . I'm trying to locate information regarding the crew (ie. Photographer: Mayor Dennis / Source: State Library of Victoria. We can do some searches for you. often appear, such was the memory of this event! on each page, that is, when a page is updated. Blue Search for your ancestors by name, narrowing the search with their age, dates of arrival, ports of departure or arrival, or country of origin. the Robert Brinkhuis story 1965, by the author or from the Photographs on Saturday September 26, 1970. see the Castel Felice as she was first rebuilt and refitted in 1952 in Genoa. As she was completed just four months later, the SS Kenya commenced her maiden Much later, safe in our bunks, or so we thought, the motion of the ship was suddenly disturbed - it seemed to lurch and tremble. may not be suitable. Ltd., Govan, thousands of her past passengers! ************************ The Castel Felice INDEX: Castel Felice-1 - History Page - This page. voyage across the Tasman proved to be a rather rough one as this is the cyclone But we got through it. that I am NOT associated with any cruise or shipping companies or travel/cruise