Trip83 . Its very important that you get as much of the Cosmoline out of the gun as possible if only to eliminate the risk of having to disassemble the gun to find a hidden chunk of the rust-preventive gunking it up. Sorry for the "ums." and "ahh." guys. Apply some to a rag and patch and wipe down the cosmoline-soaked parts. There are few procedures that you can use to remove and clean cosmoline from your military surplus guns. If the rifle will spend the rest of its life in a safe, it might be better to leave it on. It complies with us military MIL-C-11796C Class 3 rust preventative. Upon removing the parts, the hot water will evaporate and you will have totally degreased and cosmoline free parts. This method works exceptionally well. Thank you for the support! Suspend stock in pipe using a wire coat hanger, rest blow dryer on either the top or cut a hole in the bottom then set to low heat high fan setting (Don't let the heat in the pipe get over ~165 Fahrenheit due to shellac having a low melting point). ?>. Good or bad idea? But its worth noting that every cosmolined gun is going to be a little bit different in terms of uh grease severity. All petroleum-based products are chemical mixtures that are highly complex. Your email address will not be published. I read a funny (?) It doesnt cut the oil. Now what's the best way to clean the residual WD40 off so I won't have primers getting compromised? Harsh chemical solvents that could strip paint, finishes, or other aesthetic/functional coatings from the guns surface. If planning to shoot your surplus firearms, leaving cosmoline in the bore can ruin your firearm or, worse yet, cause injury to the shooter. Nearly as ubiquitous as duct tape, WD-40 claims to protect against rust and corrosion. machine guns to get them ready for action. They are the go-to gun shop for collectors and shooters alike. after that just give it a good cleaning with some hoppes 9 or whatever and you are good to go. Whatever their history was with the PLA prior to being locked in the goo grave for an indeterminate amount of time, they certainly werent babied. Make sure. The heat will bleed the cosmo out. * SCAQMD -This product is not to be used in California's South Coast Air Quality Management District because it does not comply with Rule 1144. I use fluid film on all my cars, but fluid film won't hold up under a car for more than six months without re-applying it. Weve built dozens of ARs and well cover all the best AR-15 upgrades such as handguards, triggers, BCGs, gas blocks, and more. Be sure to use a decent gun oil on any moving parts when you reassemble. You have the option to disassemble your firearm before beginning this process or keeping it intact throughout the cleaning process. Spray part again and set aside to air dry. If you want to spay, you could put it in a garden type sprayer. Mineral spirits are known as a major solvent for removing cosmoline, and you can apply it with a rag. Youll finally remove the majority of the cosmoline from the gun after hours of scrubbingbut basically, you cant stop there. I've tried various methods in the past, none of which seemed to work particularly well. Just throw the parts in hot water. From there if youre working on a rifle with wooden components, nows the time to separate them and toss them in a trash bag. Follow them on Instagram: @oldsteelguns. The cosmo bubbled to the top and I wiped it up, then repeated. This will speed up the process. As for wood, I've had limited success with WD-40. They built a fire under the 55-gallon drum of gasoline, with predictable results. used kompact kamp mini mate for sale. Clean and repeat until it stops weeping. In addition, dish soap and water can remove the excess residues in your weapon too. A sealed PVC tube or large container are both good for soaking guns in mineral spirits, depending on the size of the firearm and container. Cosmoline Remover is a solvent-based industrial cleaner specifically formulated to quickly & effectively remove all types of Cosmoline and other petroleum-based transportation and storage coatings. This process is simple but very messy and should be done in a well-ventilated area. However, this one was never opened, making it extremely rare. Despite being virtually entirely made up of hydrocarbons, the composition varies depending on the crude oil source. Usually requiring a full detail stripping and cleaning of the rifle before its remotely capable of being operated safely. no crazy cleaners, no toxic chemicals, no complicated setups. Kroil can be found here at Brownells.com. Let me show you how I safely remove cosmoline. Hosting, Website & SEO services provided by EZMarketing. Cosmoline & WD40 Removal I used WD40 to cut the cosmoline on some Yugo Mags. If you use these links, it helps me continue to put out free content for viewers. Now how come some drug dealer/crook can buy one of this things and whamo bamo it works right out of the box?? You have to apply the necessary gun oil, lubrication, and stain (for wooden stocks) to preserve the piece you worked so hard on cleaning up. This is most likely how you will encounter it on a surplus firearm or bayonet. Press J to jump to the feed. This is obviously going to be one of the more critical parts of your cosmoline cleaning voyage, as any residue buildup you dont address is going to negatively affect the accuracy of the rifle once you get it out to the range. Protect tools, dies, and other parts during shipping and storage with these durable, removable coatings. We promise to never spam you, and just use your email address to identify you as a valid customer. 2023, Schafco Packaging Company. Cosmoline was quickly adopted by militaries the world over as a way to chemically embalm small arms, artillery pieces, armored vehicles, and so on for either long term storage or trips across the Atlantic. Kroil is known as The Oil That Creeps and has made quite a name for itself in the firearms industry. We personally found Q-tips to be useful if a bit tedious. Goo Gone is a cirtus gel product that is marketed for the removal of adhesive residue on consumer projects. That is why it is called CitriStrip. Once cosmoline has been exposed to air for a few years, it will solidify and become a wax consistency. Cosmoline does an excellent job of preventing corrosion and preserving metal parts. Once youve got all of the surface cosmoline more or less handled, youll want to really start tackling the goo in all of the nooks and crannies of the receiver. If you have some cosmoline removal in your future, you may want to pick up a bottle of this stuff. Note: Most of the links in this article earn me a small commission at no cost to you. Water and wood are NOT compatible. If you mean the stock, wrap it in a black plastic garbage bag, put it on the dash of a car in the sun for several hours. Physically, Cosmoline is brown in color and comes in various viscosities and shear strengths. Brake cleaner and acetone will dissolve nearly anything but often they evaporate before you can get the gunk off and you are back where you started. There is something hugely satisfying about bringing one of these old things back to life. In fact, this exact scenario is what probably led you to this article. Weve got a dedicated section for the AR-15 here. While really bad cosmoline build-up might require a few steps further than a field stripping for whatever rifle youre working on. Then reassemble and enjoy boom. The protective layer was thick, tough and not easy to remove. Once you have removed as much of the Cosmoline as you can, it's time to move on to the next step. For some more cool old guns, take a look at our Walther P1 a much cleaner and easier milsurp. You n00b! What is Cosmoline? Pressure steam and air dry large parts and wipe down with good oil 3 in 1 is good run hoppes#9 thru the bore after steaming and compressed air drying. Only used it to finish wiping off the light residue. A lot less toxic than brake cleaner, naphtha, and acetone. They have an impressive inventory of nearly 1,500 historical firearms and an outstanding selection of uniforms, bayonets, and odd ammunition. A kitty litter can also remove cosmo in your guns. Simple Green works great on metal parts, particularly in the ultrasonic cleaner. 3. Let the bolt assembly soak for awhile to make sure all the Cosmoline is boiled out. WD 40 and mineral naptha (ligher fluid) are the cosmoline cutters of choice to the home shop machinist. Drench them in it, let them sit, then rinse them out. 3 100w light bulbs mounted in light boxes inside -- bakes the stuff out wonderfully. The password should contain at least 8 characters with at least one number or special character. With repeated heatings and wipe downs you can remove the Cosmoline without damaging the wood. "orange clean" or "simple green" on the wood works good. The spray and handy tube make it easy to get into grooves and slots, as well as bolt holes. WD-40 or any other petroleum based based solvents will cut it pretty good. There are other ways to achieve this same effect, however. Heat and humidity make a heat gun or hair dryer a good option here. Toothbrush or smaller paintbrush for cleaning small, hard to reach spots in metal. WD-40 is a mediocre lubricant and an OK rust preventative. Shopping Cart Software by BigCommerce. It's original purpose was as a water dispersant for machining - since the 60s, machine shops have gone to water-based machining lubrication/coolants and when you're done machining a part, you want to get the water-based lube/coolant off the part quickly. However, I do not recommend doing it indoors; outside or in a garage is best. Just be sure to oil thoroughly as soon as possible because it'll be bone dry when you're done. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. For the stocks, I generally do the dish washer routine (of course, I wait for my wife to be gone for the day first!lol). The aerosol cans work best for this application. We have purchased closed to 20, mostly Chinese SKS"s, all of which were coated with cosmoline. In our case, you might need to run the gadget a few times to really penetrate the crud. Make sure to get into all the internals. Cosmo just rolls off. Although, today, there are many rust-preventative oils and greases that are cleaner and will do an as good, if not better, job. Stock in a trash bag on a hot day Or mineral spirits scrub down? Get Our Top Shooting Drills and Zeroing Targets ($47 value - but FREE for a limited time). Try simple green first. When I started cleaning it I used a heat gun after tearing it completely down. You can accomplish this by wiping your handgun, placing it in a black trash bag, and leaving it out under the hot sun. Ok, what method is easier. The process is very dirty. With that out of the way, spray a shitton of brake cleaner into the barrel and gas ports as well, then use a bore cleaning brush to ram all of that nasty ass gunk out. 2. Once disassembled, I use a few methods to remove cosmoline. Click the button below to add the Cosmoline Remover to your wish list. This worked good for me since I did it in the winter. Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety. Title: Original Cosmoline Use a hair dryer on the stock and wipe it down until clean. We walk-through an SKS example with plenty of pics and video. It is safe to work with, cheaper than most products and works extremely well. If the firearm is left to accumulate for too long, it may clog, resulting in a firing failure or the need for repairs. There you go. I soaked them in mineral spirits then rinsed with hot water and dried them. IMMEDIATELY hit it with penetrating oil (NOT WD-40but a real petroleum-based penetrating oil), and wipe down with a soft cloth. I bought a bunch of those Yugo SKS rifles when cases of them started showing up at the gun shows.