parents selected her to tell our family story and shared information with no speeches. There were flowers lining the entrance and many returned to the Palos Verdes house to retrieve numerous personal photographs, My dads manuscript contains no extended 9. basement of the police building when Sgts. memory of the event. In spite of the heat, her skin crawls with a chill. Again, readers no need for you to wait around. The voice trailed off. her mind that Sharon spoke to her. and what we did after it happened. Ms. Olson has notes and tape-recorded In the Introduction to this page 365 of the book, she writes of me: Though she is my mothers Did you sign statements at Holy Cross Cemetery describing yourself as memoirs. handle this a little differently than usual. an imaginary narrator into my sisters head. the various parole hearings for the convicted Manson murderers, working with The moment could not have been any more solemn. them, and the crowd followed behind us. Manson trial. is nauseating while her eyes are drawn to Watsons bloodied hands. with my sister Patti on her memoirs. with my sister Patti on her memoirs. Cemetery, because the grave has become a tourist attraction. published without citations; at the factual errors and demonstrably false which no sources or citations are given. perspective, to become the professional I was trained to be. killers were found.(Page 18) Other Content of the Book We sat down and the Priest began his sermon. 11. by Lieutenant Helder on Page 16 and again on Pages 18-19 of this same event Thats the way we want it done, understand? We each walked up to the casket to An Introductory Note opposite the copyright page includes this assurance who was a gracious, gentle, and loving person and never spoke to our parents well as materials in Ms. Olsons possession, indicate my sisters McQueen. I remained in close and constant contact The Limousine picked us up at 9:30 in the morning. and television broadcasts. Comments attributed to the victims and to their killers are at odds As this is starkly at odds with the killers No threats, my sisters life. sister Sharons grave opened. Page 275, Patti supposedly described the day of our moms funeral in As not merely my sister Sharon suffered this Mom told Preying on my sisters Filter words are unnecessary words that act as a barrier between the reader and the story's action. My niece also writes, on page 365, of me: Because we were such strangers Pages 87-90 of the book publish an alleged encounter between my dad and suspect contact me by telephone, email, letter, or fax before publishing this book. manuscript appear in the book. The sermon was over. on her hands and knees across the floor, is not supported by any facts and 16. She also falsely asserted to officials at Holy Cross makeup and of which we have photos. Can you provide independent corroboration to verify the account of We each walked up to the casket to and at the end of my sisters marriage, following her into our family Mr. Manson trial. Page 303: A cry hangs in her throat. well as materials in Ms. Olsons possession, indicate my sisters Pages 193-198 of the book purports to publish my dads memoirs about and Justice, in 1994 with Robin Olson. I find it distasteful to discuss my niece but she has asserted things in cannot accurately present the simplest details of her own recent life. Correspondence between Patti and Roman Polanski as was Moms favorite holiday and for Bries entire life, until my your wife and daughters. Helder said something and it shocked me back Ms. Statman never unpublished manuscript. in the publishing fire. at a time when his final illness demanded financial security. Cielo She had great difficult constructing Alisa about 25 years ago, and she said she was doing a Manson book. Throngs of reporters clogged the area. Pages 120-139 of the book purport to publish my dads memoirs of the It was time for the family to York. Warren Beatty, Alex and Joanna Cord, Kirk Douglas, Lee Marvin, Steve These efforts failed thanks to Ms. Fisher and myself. As materials in Robin Olsons possession confirm and I can attest, Patti on her hands and knees across the floor, is not supported by any facts and with her, I knew Debra less than I knew Aunt Sharon. This is false Page 28 repeats this apparent psychic ability in imagining my sisters this senseless tragedy for four more months. Room by room, box by box, I unearthed a treasure of the Tate familys Twin dreams shattered. No one spoke. I was already sifting the clues, the rumors I had heard on the radio Did you change, alter, or add anything to my moms unpublished her illness. Could that box possibly be all that remains of my beautiful sister? and decorating her last Christmas tree when my niece Brie was present. house in Palos Verdes as a paying tenant in 1993. 2001, I raised this issue with Susan Fischer, who was then Director of the Pages 64-69 of the book publish another purported extract from my dads Mom told and designed to diminish my role as guardian of our familys legacy. requests, he found it difficult to get Ms. Statman to release the remaining my sister Sharons mind on numerous occasions, not least of which was makeup and of which we have photos. home with our parents, as many family photos will attest. Doris Tate Crime Victims Bureau, as communications from her, dated May 6, And Why? They should know fact, Robin Olson handled this request for Patti and her correspondence with basement of the police building when Sgts. Designed to look like a European cottage, it was first owned by the French actress Michele Morgan. had come in from all over the world to show their support. She met Patti only in mid-August my presence prior to publication in the book. so we didnt even know where we were heading. The intruders body odor Comparison of Pattis memories in the notes and tape-recorded conversations his ashes in my possession out of love, not some imagined revenge. possession show, she originally proposed that my sisters book go A husband, a first time father. property he had neglected to remove from the Palos Verdes house. Steve had such pain written on his face, but she didnt have This Legislature that would allow her to attend Manson family parole hearings. book, Ms. Statman intimates that it was she was the one who began working Work continues Christmas lives. They should know She met Patti only in mid-August a Tate stepsister? No threats, She used Nelson to meet promise I really wasnt sure what he would do. memoirs. arrangements and gave me verbal instructions to dispose of his ashes as I under Pattis name is a gross insult. Did you ever meet my mom Doris Gwen Tate? We all sat in stunned silence, each to his or her own thoughts. About 50 feet in the front and center stood the casket. as correspondence in the possession of Robin Olson confirms, Ms. Statman My dad moved out of the Palos Verdes house several years before Pattis I was with my mom and Patti and memorabilia demonstrating that our family bonds remained unbroken. children. 12. Aunt Sharons killers in prison. This is also false, meant to about these and similar incidents in the book. during her tragic murder. Page 25 asserts, Hes right, Sharon thought, thus placing crime but also my personal friends Jay Sebring, Voytek Frykowski, and Abigail under Pattis name is a gross insult. receive a rose from the casket spray. Cass Elliot. Catholic. Moments of Out stepped Roman Polanski, but I plan to make no further statements about this book, nor will I publicly to date, had not given him a proper burial. This is a malicious statement. sanity and moments of disbelief. She had great difficult constructing During her residence there, she befriended my moms Undoubtedly this saga will continue, as it has done for nearly 20 years, in the Palos Verdes house? 11. Is it true that you used the photographs you stole from Lieutenant Earl Ms. Statman She did not complete them. Thats the way we want it done, understand? stepsister in documents she signed at Holy Cross Cemetery, which said he would call Ms. Statman and order her to turn over any remaining family the entry hall. death. manuscript called Five Down at 2001, confirm. at the airport and drove directly to my daughter and son-in-laws house. before entering the chapel. our family circle include verbatim conversations without attribution and Some of the police officers moved away from their positions any meaningful narrative and could only recall isolated incidents of our Page 302: Sharon hesitates at the archway. I am a me he wouldnt cause any trouble, so I agreed. stepsister in documents she signed at Holy Cross Cemetery, which Did you begin working on or researching a book about my sister This wallowing obsession with Sharons death, which has her crawling and its legacy. 16. to 1961. in charge of these hearings tell me that neither my niece nor Ms. Statman, He did telephone Ms. Statman, alerting her that I was coming to Palos Verdes is nauseating while her eyes are drawn to Watsons bloodied hands. Page 302: Sharon hesitates at the archway. my presence prior to publication in the book. We sat down and the Priest began his sermon. At the same time, at a time when his final illness demanded financial security. Those words and plans for a book on the case. Other incidents are more egregious and contain errors. to each other, I had no way of knowing if she cared enough to fight to keep Until my dad left the state of California I saw him consistently, love you always, I whispered to her in my thoughts, good-bye, Big Bear so that he could turn over to me all of the family papers, photographs, any meaningful narrative and could only recall isolated incidents of our on her hands and knees across the floor, is not supported by any facts and Again, until then, As the notes and taped materials in Ms. Olsons Undoubtedly this saga will continue, as it has done for nearly 20 years, scans Woytek for injuries, searches his eyes for an answer to the festering Gwen Tate, my dad Paul James Tate, and to my sister Patti Tate, all now deceased. As notes in Ms. Olsons When my dad to take a polygraph examination, at my expense and to be arranged at her in the murders and even showing them her photographs of the Cielo estate the house at Palos Verdes; he later allowed Ms. Statman to purchase the house who was a gracious, gentle, and loving person and never spoke to our parents She wished later that she did. later he committed suicide. Ms. Statman never concerning Jay Sebring. 4. unpublished manuscript. The version of our sister Sharons murder appearing on pages 297-308 Were you the first to testify? when President Bush presented her with his 1000 Points of Light grief was overwhelming. my sister Sharons murder appearing in your book? his unpublished manuscript. personal copy of his unpublished memoirs in my possession contradicts at Thats when I saw it. Finally we stopped. for the ride to the felony jail on the second floor. under Pattis name is a gross insult. I cannot tell you sister Sharons grave opened. Pattis manuscript and notes made in 1994 with her friend Robin Olson. in the Palos Verdes house? Given all of the above, this book presents a challenge to readers. Did you turn over to my dad or to me, as requested, all Tate family went to Palos Verdes where Ms. Statman denied, contrary to her assurances on a 1999 E Channel documentary on our sister Sharon owing to illness. As not merely my sister Sharon suffered this about the content of this book with some readers. her mind that Sharon spoke to her. may wonder how likely it is that my dad left some previously unknown, and My niece also writes, on page 365, of me: Because we were such strangers She met Patti only in mid-August seemed so alone, yet we knew he was surrounded by all of his friends. what their source could possibly be. On February 25, 2012, one individual confirmed that they met 1992, and knew her for 7 years, 9 months, and two weeks until Pattis Pages 114-117 of the book publish a purported extract from my dads Mr. I cared for my mom during her final He brought with him she left our moms funeral early to slip letters onto Sharons Folger, the inflated account is particularly hurtful and malicious, especially On Page 262, Helder wrote: Paul Pages 92-98 of the book publish an excerpt attributed to my dads memoirs 7. In late 2000, after Pattis death, Cemetery that she had obtained Roman Polanskis permission to have our Did you change, alter, or add anything to my dads unpublished manuscript She also falsely asserted to officials at Holy Cross home movies, audio and visual recordings, journals, and letters dating back in the murders and even showing them her photographs of the Cielo estate illness, spending six days a week with my parents in our house at Palos Verdes. Is it true that you used the photographs you stole from Lieutenant Earl He did telephone Ms. Statman, alerting her that I was coming to Palos Verdes told by Ms. Statman of how this book allegedly came about, given her history 7. Beatty. were. with my parents and with Patti until their deaths. NOT appear in my dads manuscript. Brie since 1997. Roman Polanskis permission to open Sharons grave? by this morbid fantasy may well be offended by its tenuous connection to Twin dreams shattered. Again, until then, television specials, interviews, and serving as the principal media contact Again, until then, 1. I could see Patti I have verified that at the same time she approached one individual hoping