He seeks to rationalize his being, meanwhile answering his doubts with answers:"Of my creator I was absolutely ignorant, but I knew that I possessed no money, no friends, no property. 18. Sometimes it can end up there. The Monster: I want friend like me. Unable to endure the aspect of the being I had created, I . - What's your name? You can view our. The monster gives Frankenstein an ultimatum, create a wife for him, or he will kill everyone he loves. Soon these burning miseries will be extinct. - Mmmmm. Teacher Editions with classroom activities for all 1699 titles we cover. I was, besides, endued with a figure hideously deformed and loathsome; I was not even of the same nature as man. Wilder has said Young Frankenstein is his favorite of all his movies. Frankenstein And Belonging Quotes. Even his determination to destroy the Monster at all costs is a kind of ambition. Oh, praise the eternal justice of man!, ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, (Character: The Monster), Page 91, I was benevolent and good; misery made me a fiend. Through her powerful storytelling, Shelley encourages readers to consider the implications of playing God and highlights the potential dangers of scientific advances. Now my desires were complied with, and it would, indeed, have been folly to repent., ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, (Character: Victor Frankenstein as narrator), Page 33, It was very different when the masters of science sought immortality and power; such views, although futile, were grand: but now the scene was changed. Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley, is about a scientist named Victor Frankenstein. His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips., I admired virtue and good feelings and loved the gentle manners and amiable qualities of my cottagers, but I was shut out from intercourse with them, except through means which I obtained by stealth, when I was unseen and unknown, and which rather increased than satisfied the desire I had of becoming one among my fellows. This quote is on page 163 of Frankenstein by the Monster. Angela Cartwright Don't stay in the harbour and miss the greatness of the sea. Why does Frankenstein run away from his Monster? This underlines one of the novels central themes: the importance of having companions. I once had a friend, the most noble of human creatures, and am entitled, therefore, to judge respecting friendship. Purchasing If you just sit still, nine cases out of ten, someone will intercept it before it reaches you. Find related themes, quotes, symbols, characters, and more. Make me happy, and I shall again be virtuous." 2. O blessed sleep!, ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, (Character: Victor Frankenstein as the narrator), Page 197, My reign is not yet over you live, and my power is complete. I found that these people possessed a method of communicating their experience and feelings to one another by articulate sounds. Its making him mad. We shall mock the earthquake. Was I, then, a monster, a blot upon the earth, from which all men fled and whom all men disowned?, The nearer I approached to your habitation, the more deeply did I feel the spirit of revenge enkindled in my heart., I, the miserable and the abandoned, am an abortion, to be spurned at, and kicked, and trampled on., I know that while you are pleased with yourself you will think of us with affection, and we shall hear regularly from you. This quote is on pages 90-91 of Frankenstein by the Monster. The. The storm appeared to approach rapidly, and, on landing, I ascended a low hill, that I might observe its progress. Struggling with distance learning? Do you need to write about Frankenstein, but its hard to find what you need? I had often, when at home, thought it hard to remain during my youth cooped up in one place and had longed to enter the world and take my station among other human beings. A touching scene in James Whale's classic horror film 'Bride of Frankenstein', where the Monster meets a lonely blind hermit while he is on the run from the . How does the Monster learn to speak and read? Miserable, unhappy wretch!, I am malicious because I am miserable. All men hate the wretched; how, then, must I be hated, who am miserable beyond all living things! Teach your students to analyze literature like LitCharts does. Frankenstein found the secret to life, though he applies his gained knowledge and ambition to his own selfish goals, which wind up destroying him and those closest to him. 47 The Alchemist Quotes With Page Numbers, To Kill A Mockingbird Quotes With Page Numbers, List of 1,000+ Positive Words to Write the Life You Want, How to Regrow Telomeres | The Latest Findings, 47 Paulo Coelho The Alchemist Quotes With Page Numbers. I had a very confused knowledge of kingdoms, wide extents of country, mighty rivers, and boundless seas. For the next 7 days, you'll have access to awesome PLUS stuff like AP English test prep, No Fear Shakespeare translations and audio, a note-taking tool, personalized dashboard, & much more! SparkNotes Plus subscription is $4.99/month or $24.99/year as selected above. It was a most beautiful season; never did the fields bestow a more plentiful harvest or the vines yield a more luxuriant vintage, but my eyes were insensible to the charms of nature., Justine, you may remember, was a great favourite of yours; and I recollect you once remarked that if you were in an ill humour, one glance from Justine could dissipate it, for the same reason that Ariosto gives concerning the beauty of Angelica--she looked so frank-hearted and happy., Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change., As I stood at the door, on a sudden I beheld a stream of fire issue from an old and beautiful oak which stood about twenty yards from our house; and so soon as the dazzling light vanished, the oak had disappeared, and nothing remained but a blasted stump. 'electricity and galvanism was at once new and astonishing to me.'. familiar format. Quotes Frankenstein The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine. And the more you know, the more you feel that the ground underneath is dissolving. [looks down at the unconscious Dr. Frankenstein] I live because this poor, half-crazed genius has given me life. Frankenstein suggests that the root of alienation is self-hatred. His ambition of creating life and emulating his own creation fails. not because the way was smooth and placid as a southern sea, but because it was full of dangers and terror, because at every new incident your fortitude was to be called forth and your courage exhibited, because danger and death surrounded it, and these you were brave to overcome. (one code per order). Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is the story of a young man named Victor Frankenstein who does the unthinkable, creates life from dead flesh. Frankenstein loves the natural world, and often finds comfort in the beauty of nature. Frankenstein regrets giving life to this monster and escapes. In other words, it wasnt his fault. "One of the best of these I entered, but I had hardly placed my foot within the door before the children shrieked, and one of the women fainted. You hate me; but your abhorrence cannot equal that with which I regard myself. Such were my reflections as I commenced my journey; but as I proceeded, my spirits and hopes rose. To be friendless is indeed to be unfortunate, but the hearts of men, when unprejudiced by any obvious self-interest, are full of brotherly love and charity., ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, (Character: The Monster), Page 125, Cursed, cursed creator! This quote plainly lays out Frankenstein's ambition, his hubris, and his ultimate downfall. Subscribe now. His trip to the Alpine valleys also goes too far: he ends up in a sea of ice where the Monster can ambush him. However, Felix returns and drives him . page number, If I cannot inspire love I will cause fear page number, I was benevolent and good Frankenstein page number, 80 Fahrenheit 451 Quotes With Page Numbers, Resting Heart Rate Chart | What is a Good, Normal, or High RHR, 85 The Great Gatsby Quotes With Page Numbers. I found myself similar, yet at the same time strangely unlike to the beings concerning whom I read, and to whose conversation I was a listener. My students love how organized the handouts are and enjoy tracking the themes as a class., Requesting a new guide requires a free LitCharts account. Earn weekly rewards. Get personalized recommendations. After she dies of. Frankenstein quotes by chapter, page number, and who said them. I took it; it was a portrait of a most lovely woman. Ugly wretch! He becomes obsessed with the idea of being able to create life and tries to act like God. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape. A mummy again endued with animation could not be so hideous as that wretch. 60+ Scary Creepy Quotes - Horror Movie Quotes, Serial Killer 60+ Best Tony Stark Quotes - Iron Man Quotes, Robert Downey 60+ Famous Charlie Brown Quotes - Snoopy Quotes, Peanuts To be a great and virtuous man appeared the highest honour that can befall a sensitive being; to be base and vicious, as many on record have been, appeared the lowest degradation, a condition more abject than that of the blind mole or harmless worm. List 38 wise famous quotes about Christ Birth: The birth of Christ is the central event in the history of the earth the very thing the whole story. I felt the greatest ardour for virtue rise within me, and abhorrence for vice., Hateful day when I received life! I exclaimed in agony. Want to become popular? to start your free trial of SparkNotes Plus. and wherefore was it glorious? I have devoted my creator, the select specimen of all that is worthy of love and admiration among men, to misery; I have pursued him even to that irremediable ruin. Instant downloads of all 1699 LitChart PDFs I never beheld anything so utterly destroyed., But success SHALL crown my endeavours. We feel, conceive, or reason; laugh or weep, - Dr Frederick Frankenstein. If this rule were always observed; if no man allowed any pursuit whatsoever to interfere with the tranquillity of his domestic affections, Greece had not been enslaved, Caesar would have spared his country, America would have been discovered more gradually, and the empires of Mexico and Peru had not been destroyed., ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, (Character: Victor Frankenstein as narrator), Pages 43, 44, The different accidents of life are not so changeable as the feelings of human nature., ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, (Character: Victor Frankenstein as narrator), Page 45, When happy, inanimate nature had the power of bestowing on me the most delightful sensations., ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, (Character: Victor Frankenstein as narrator), Page 58, Enter the house of mourning, my friend, but with kindness and affection for those who love you, and not with hatred for your enemies., ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, (Character: Alphonse Frankenstein), Page 62, I contempleted the lake; the waters were placid, all around was calm and the snowy mountains the calm and heavenly scene restored me and I continued my journey toward Geneva., ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, (Character: Victor Frankenstein as narrator), Page 63, It maybe judged indecent in me to come forward on this occasion; but when I see a fellow-creature about to perish through the cowardice of her pretended friends, I wish to be allowed to speak, that I may say what I know of her character., ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, (Character: Elizabeth Lavenza), Page 75, When one creature is murdered, another is immediately deprived of life in a slow torturing manner; then the executioners, their hands yet reeking with the blood of innocence, believe that they have done a great deed., ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, (Character: Elizabeth Lavenza), Page 76, But hers was the misery of innocence, which, like a cloud that passes over the fair moon, for a while hides, but cannot tarnish its brightness., ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, (Character: Victor Frankenstein as narrator), Page 77, Nothing is more painful to the human mind than, after the feelings have been worked up by a quick succession of events, the dead calmness of inaction and certainty which follows and deprives the soul both of hope and fear., ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, (Character: Victor Frankenstein as narrator), Page 81, I shunned the face of man; all sound of joy or complacency was torture to me; solitude was my only consolationdeep, dark, death-like solitude., is it not a duty to the survivors that we should refrain from augmenting their unhappiness by an appearance of immoderate grief?