Well he found some coccidia in the fecal culture, but not huge numbers and I think it might be a secondary thing We are treating her with dimethox (day 2) but so far no improvement. Floppy kids have very acidic stomachs and the baking soda has a very basic pH. Goats have been observed to stand on their hind legs and stretch up to browse tree leaves or throw their bodies against saplings to bring the tops within reach. I am giving her more penicillin, LA 200, and Banamine injections daily. "Tom was a terrific quarterback, but he needs to toss this idea . 4 Not getting up at all would be the most extreme sign of weakness . It is Stubborn Some goats are just stubborn and refuse to stand up. Her front legs are kind of stiff, but she moves them, she also moves her rear legs trying to get up. Permanent spinal damage (including curvature), hindquarter weakness, and/or inability to deliver kids may be the residual effect of Meningeal Worm infection. Literally any signs from his buddy? I would definitely be worried about vitamin over dose. One of the main reasons why your goat won't get up when sick is dehydration. What can I do until the vet gets back to me? Be sure to check both sides of the goats body and all extremities. Keep electrical cords out of reach. Laminitis means that the laminae in the hooves breaks down due to inflammation often caused by overfeeding. Encephalitic CAE can lead to paralysis that will make it impossible for a goat to stand up. First Home Eggs Adopt-an-Egg Hatch a Long. That said, this exact thing probably contributed to legends of cloven-footed . Getting sufficient colostrum into a newborn during its first few hours of life is critical to its survival. You are using an out of date browser. Now my other goat is starting to limp! Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I took her to the vet today and she is thinking it is a type of arthritis caused by a virus or bacteria. Any eye ticking? Hope she recovers for you. She has been grinding her teeth, but no heat from her legs, they aren't rigid or stiff or any other things that could help solve the mystery. LRS can be used frequently and safely in small amounts as described. I guess keeping some grain just out of reach gave her a good excuse to try. Did he get debudded? All information and photos copyright Onion Creek Ranch and may not be used without express written permission of Onion Creek Ranch. Goats normally lie down throughout the day to sleep and rest. Although laboratory testing of the cerebrospinal fluid produces an accurate diagnosis, the key to treatment of Meningeal Worm infection is early aggressive treatment. Tetanus quickly progresses to the animal's being unable to open its mouth (hence the term "lockjaw"), a rigid extension of the legs (front legs extended forward and . This is Penelope and she will not get up anymore. All information and photos copyright Onion Creek Ranch and may not be used without express written permission of Onion Creek Ranch. If the kid can stand at all, its back legs will be splayed apart from its body. The inability to stand could be a sign of meningeal worm infestation. The article says to use safeguard or panacur at 10 times the label dose once a day for 5 days straight. I hope you get answers soon and your girls start improving! Most animals do not seem to be in pain (other than the itching), and most eat and drink well until they die. No vaccine exists to prevent pre-ruminal kids from overeating on milk. Ok so today she got up on one front leg!! A kid born with fever or who develops fever soon after being born has the ability to suck but won't nurse until medication is given to stabilize its body temperature at the normal level. T.A. All information provided in these articles is based either on personal experience or information provided by others whose treatments and practices have been discussed fully with a vet for accuracy and effectiveness before passing them on to readers. 103.1 with some clear discharge from the nose. This will help keep it hydrated and keep its digestive tract moving while it is unable to stand up. I'm debating on having to put her down. If you have to have a few people over to help, get him to stand. :P. I can barely balance on four legs.. Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Young Sheep. Goat kidded in March, so that shouldn't be the problem and she hasn't been bred yet this year. A weak kid with sub-normal body temperature is able to absorb these simple sugars while it cannot digest colostrum or milk. Drove the truck down and we loaded her into the back of the truck with the help of a heavy blanket. Wait one or two hours and tube feed another one to two ounces. Suzanne Gasparotto is not a veterinarian.Neither tennesseemeatgoats.com nor any of the contributors to this website will be held responsible for the use of any information contained herein. If you raise goats in areas of high rainfall where the land holds water and whitetail deer are abundant , you should be concerned about Meningeal Worm infection in your goats. For miniature goats, give 2 ounces of milk of magnesia four times daily for two days. Keep the kid hydrated; heating pads have a dehydrating effect. The VVITCH/Black Phillip jokes aside, when I saw this posted a while back someone with experience with goats said they do this sometimes if they injure one or both of their front legs and want to avoid the pain of using them. Got her cleaned up and bandaged up last night. We use Safegaurd, ivomec plus injectable, then cidectin. A goat that is unable to stand when prompted can be indicative of a bigger issue. Liquid Safeguard's label dose is 2.3 cc (ml) per 100 pounds bodyweight, which means that you must multiply this by 10 and dose at 23 cc (ml) per 100 pounds bodyweight. http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/founderingoats.html, Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Young Sheep. I do not a have a local goat vet. A very weak kid will be limp and its neck may fold back like a bird's neck towards one side of its body. People new to bottle babies can cause Floppy Kid Syndrome by overfeeding milk. Move slowly and carefully and push your index and middle fingers into the doe. Don't bloat the kid's stomach; use common sense about how much it can hold. I would talk to him about Joint illIts not just a naval ill disease.. Baytril 100 injectable is an excellent antibiotic with which to treat Joint Ill and is the *only* antibiotic that this writer has found that is strong enough to cure Joint Ill. Use a one-cc syringe and give as little as one quarter of one cc (1/4 of one cc) at a time orally. Antibiotics can also be given to treat any . Hold the kid up on it's feet and allow to try to work those muscles to get stronger, allow the baby to bare weight on them, even if it is just a little bit. If he wants hay Id let him have that too, but Id be careful about grain. A common name for this disease in sheep and goats is "polio"; however, it has absolutely no relationship with the infectious viral disease found in humans (poliomyelitis). Infrared bulbs are suitable for extremely cold climates only and should be placed out of reach of the kid and any other animal. In the northern and eastern parts of the United States, most infections occur in late summer/early fall or early winter, following a wet summer and mild fall. 1. This can be a scary experience and sometimes dangerous if not addressed as soon as possible. Check the goats body and the immediately surrounding space to see if they are being pinned down by something. Goats can climb, run and crawl. Physically examine the goats hooves. I don't know what else to do! 48 Likes, 6 Comments - @2.playaa_g on Instagram: ""surgery for my legs cause i can't stand yu hoes"" If you have a tractor to pick him up it would be easier for you, but I dont expect you have that. If it is broken we have casted a few goats legs and they have pulled through just fine. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features NFL Sunday Ticket Press Copyright . Once the kid begins to eat solid food (hay, goat pellets, leaves), it isn't as susceptible to FKS. For quick energy, put some molasses or Karo syrup on your finger and rub it onto the kid's gums and inside the kid's mouth. She has a normal temp. Prevention is difficult. TENNESSEE MEAT GOAT and TEXMASTER are Trademarks of Onion Creek Ranch . They may find a comfortable spot and not want to lose it, so they may not stand when the other goats do. The wider it is the better, dont use a rope. They do both get about one cup of dumor goat sweet formula daily. bladder infection, encephalitis, ear infections can all cause difficulties. Look for bleeding or a bone deformity that could indicate a broken bone or dislocation. The uterus contracts and dilates, forcing the unborn kid against the cervix (neck of the uterus). An anti-inflammatory drug like Banamine can be useful in alleviating the inflammation of nerve tissue. Tethering is the goat tied to a line that runs along another line (called, obviously, the "run line"). Can CAE express itself in this way? For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. A newborn kid can live several hours on SQ fluids and without colostrum in its stomach. Unconfined dams allow their kids to nurse for frequent but short periods of time. A weak kid does not have the strength to suckle; sucking takes energy that the weak kid doesn't have. A weak kid cannot stand to nurse its mother. Take the kid off milk completely for at least 36 hours. Do not use diarrhea medication unless the scouring is a liquid of watery consistency, threatening dehydration, and be very careful how much anti-diarrheal is given. Orally administer CMPK or MFO (calcium-magnesium-phosphorus-dextrose solution). At the vet's office today my goat was able to walk around a little bit but tonight she can't even stand. If you want to get him on his feet make a sling and possibly a pulley system if possible. Possible Solutions: The first thing to try is to dry the kid off and hold it close to your body. Billy kid alpine goat panting and face-planting, Question about CDT shot for newborn goat kids. But I give an adult 1 1/2 cc small adult 1 cc and baby 1/2 cc under skin in the neck. She was getting skinny over the last week or so (and all of my other goats are fat) so I had started jacketing her to keep her warm and feeding her separately thinking the other goats were maybe keeping her from getting the good food. She may look at her side, like she can't figure out what is . Not to overwhelm you, but stop giving him vitamins or anything like that. Then the fox said, "I have a good idea. Do not put colostrum or milk into a weak kid that cannot hold its head up until its body temperature is above 100*F. Once the kid's rectal temperature is above 100*F, milk the kid's mother and stomach tube a small amount of colostrum into it. See my article on Overfeeding Bottle Babies for guidance on how to feed the kid based upon body weight. Nursing takes energy. Can you post pictures, I want to see his head composition. All artwork and graphics . That was a week ago. You should suspect Meningeal Worm disease if the goat displays bare patches of hide from quarter to palm size (generally on the flank or near the front leg), a bloody hole chewed in the hide, neurologic signs or problems involving the spinal cord, from hind leg dragging to inability to get up. Long story short. He was trying to get at the grass on the other side. A floppy kid is a kid that has been overfed on milk, usually the result of bottle feeding too much milk at a time, but sometimes because the dam and kid have been confined in such a small area that she cannot keep the kid from nursing too often. If you do not take steps to intervene quickly, the newborn will die. Remember, a vets advice and care is often essential for goats that are unable to stand and showing other signs of distress. Ivermectin paste or pour-on are not effective in preventing meningeal deerworm infection. Answered by Dr. Maggie in 50 mins 14 years ago. Whatever the situation, the kid is weak because it is starving. Guess I'm still hoping for some good news. Should I just put her down? THE ARTICLE MUST BE REPRODUCED IN ITS ENTIRETY AND THE AUTHOR'S NAME, ADDRESS, AND CONTACT INFORMATION MUST BE INCLUDED AT THE BEGINNING OF THE REPRINT. These does are young (eg, 12 months), extremely heavy milkers, or carrying twins or triplets. Are there lots of apples on the ground and are they fermenting? If you put colostrum or milk into the kid under these circumstances, there will be no blood flow to the stomach to assist in digestion, the colostrum or milk will remain there undigested, toxicity will set in, and the kid will die. Squeeze a bit of the dam's colostrum into the kid's mouth and it will usually begin to nurse if it has sufficient strength. JavaScript is disabled. Just realised you are probably not in the UK so not as much time has past as I first thought, please get a vet if you do not know what is wrong and good luck, unfortunately there isn't a real vet that takes goat aroundand he seems completley normal except for he can't walkhis poop was completely normal but I haven't seen him peeI'm really hoping I'm overreacting and he just had way too many rotten apples, thanks. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. It affects the joints and can make them really swollen and painful. The legs are at the front and back of the base (eg at the goats head and tail). It may have gotten stuck in a odd position and now it has been laying down so long it cannot stand. If diarrhea becomes watery, orally dose the kid with up to six (6) to ten (10) cc's of PeptoBismol up to three times a day and use injectable Banamine to quiet the gut. She is bright, alert, responsive. Planning will allow you some extra time and you will not be in a rush to move on to the next thing. The symptoms most frequently seen in an animal with problems with their hind legs are: weakness, difficulty getting up and standing, tendency to cross the back legs while walking, running with both legs . It is also possible that the goat has struggled so much to get free that it is so exhausted that it cannot stand. However, there are two specific inherited conditions of goats that result in contracted tendons of newborns. These are the subcutaneous larvae migrating throughout the goat's body. Examine the area right above each hoof and feel for warmth or swelling. Staggering, diarrhea, dehydration, and blindness are all symptoms of polio. Gently massage the kid's legs to stimulate blood circulation. A goat's natural curiosity may lead it to investigate new items by sniffing and nibbling, but goats will quickly refuse anything that is dirty or distasteful. Warm weather in early winter and subsequent lack of snow cover has made this disease common in the eastern part of the United States. The first stage of labor. When she tries to stand she collapses onto her face and screams. She will kneel to go to her food and water. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. Example: a six-pound kid should get up to six cc's of this product orally -- given very slowly. He has also had his CD&T shot. She does not have diarrhea and is having normal bowel movements. In severe cases, the goat may also experience abdominal pain, rapid heartbeat, lethargic behavior, and convulsions. Make sure the leg is 90 degrees from the base. Tetanus quickly progresses to the animal's being unable to open its mouth (hence the term "lockjaw"), a rigid extension of the legs (front legs extended forward and together, with back legs extended backwards and together in a rocking horse- like stance),excessive salivation, constipation, inability to stand, neck stiffness with the head pulled hard to one side and accompanying tail and ear rigidity, and seizures. Tethering overhead is also called "high-lining.". Suzanne Gasparotto is not a veterinarian.Neither tennesseemeatgoats.com nor any of the contributors to this website will be held responsible for the use of any information contained herein. Early symptoms include a rigid gait, mild bloat, and anxiety. Goats who develop Meningeal Worm infection get it by ingesting the intermediate host, a slug or snail, while browsing in wet areas such as ponds or swamps or under dead leaves, branches, and trees. Lactated Ringers comes in various sizes up to a 1000 mL IV bag, but do not give it intravenously to the kid. Each of these symptoms could be indicative of an abscess. Does he seem distressed? Cold and/or wet weather strikes, the doe goes into labor, and her newborns are at risk for hypothermia. Use a little bit of corn syrup or molasses in water every few hours to keep sugar up, but no more special stuff. (A copy of the newsletter or publication would also be a welcome addition to our growing library of goat related information! A painful and rapid death occurs if not immediately treated. When a doe cannot limit the amount of milk that her kids receive at each feeding, Floppy Kid Syndrome can occur. Do you have a neighbor or anyone to help? Suggestions anyone? To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. Newborn kids do NOT have Floppy Kid Syndrome, unless they are being overfed as bottle babies. She attempted to get up to see us when we went into the barn, but her front legs can't support any weight. If you suspect this as the cause of your sheep's . I am not a vet but we raise lots of goats and right now have 75 head. The top of the base should be at the line on the leg. There are plenty of villagers in India that are still wondering what they saw after a goat came walking through the village on its hind legs.