The Council states that this is a big step forward for Merthyr Tydfil in expanding Welsh . Straight after saying this 3. Gurnos was once a wooded area with farm and cottages; the farm supplied Cyfartha Castle with milk meat and eggs and the woods logs for the fires. are no tunnels, underground workings or dumping of industrial waste From her kitchen is a stunning view of the mountains. Life expectancy in Merthyr as a whole is as much as five years lower than it is in wealthier areas of Wales and. It might not be Mosside in Manchester . It should not be down to the benefits system, it should be down to the government and employers to make sure that people have a living wage rather than minimum wage. They are saying there is not a household working but there are houses where people are working.. The 59-year-olds home overlooks Gurnos Road. But I think that is not just the Gurnos but Merthyr in its entirety. The 59-year-old said one of the hardest parts of her job was dealing with claims children were being abused at home. Gurnwah is posh for Gurnos. In it, Dorothy swaps her ruby slippers for white stilettoes. In Bramble Close the noise of dogs barking filled the air. LORD PORCHESTER ~ Son of then Lord Carnarvon Newbury. She said: I was in the school for almost 30 years in total. The Gurnos Tavern, one of the two community centres and many of the maisonette flats were demolished to make greener areas during the late 1990s. There was not the same community support. The area is among the most deprived in Europe, and he has returned as part of BBC Wales' Me and My Health season to find out what has changed. 13 Jun 2022 This morning, a school has officially opened in the Gurnos Estate, Merthyr Tydfil called 'Safle'r Gurnos' ' which is currently a satellite provision of Santes Tudful Primary. You could see it in the faces we filmed in Poland. Most of the people here are law abiding citizens who work and help their community.. Charles Wilkins in his book, 'History of Merthyr of the Valley road and the ancient homestead easily seen from There have also been two pubs, the Gurnos Tavern and later The Matchstick Man, named after late boxer Johnny Owen, however both have since closed. number of amenities developed within the ward including a shopping Back in the 1980s, Walter was working as an artist-in-residence at Pen-Y-Dre High School on the Gurnos Estate in Merthyr Tydfil. Diane Jones, 21, and her daughters Shauna, two, and 13-month-old Sarah Jane died when petrol poured under the front door of their home in the Gurnos Estate, Merthyr Tydfil was set alight. // -->