He was part of the first Everton side I saw live (I think 67) and I was never sure of what position he played. Sean Dyche could now name James Garner in a matchday side for the first time as Everton manager at Nottingham Forest. Lumsden was briefly linked with the vacant Southampton job in 2014 but insisted he was too busy with his allotment. Today we would be raving over him. Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site. Generally, this means players that have played 100 or more first-team matches for the club. 18:13:39, Posted Skippy was the scorer, in January 1971, of one of the greatest Goodison goals in living memory a volley past Peter Bonetti after swift interplay between Hurst, Harvey and Ball. In the 1969-70 season I lost my place through a minor injury which necessitated me missing 2 or 3 games so Alan Whittle came in and scored something like 4 or 5 goals in important games. Others enjoy mazy dribbles. 10:17:54, Posted Andy King came into the team in my second year there; at the annual PFA awards in London I got talking to Billy Bingham and he said to me Weve been looking at Luton recently what do you think of this Andy King?. After a dip in fortunes at Everton, and adventures at Luton and in the United States, Jimmy is now happily retired in Bedfordshire. James Murdoch Lumsden (born 7 November 1947 in Glasgow), known as Wee Jimmy, is a Scottish former association football player and former first team coach at Manchester United and Everton. At his peak he was as good as Ronaldo was at United. Or maybe, just maybe, that Osman goal which topped our poll. Having watched EFC since the early 50s, I have great memories of Jimmy Harris. This means that we may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. Adrian Heath v Norwich December 1986, wrote one reader. One fan, perhaps a little ambitiously, declared: Not just a team goal but a fantastic finish akin to Jairzinho for Brazil. (Or did he mean Carlos Alberto?). Great article. There it is, in 72pt Century Bold type, from the Daily Post of Monday, January 18, 1971. Andy Rankin too. "Skippy" was the scorer, in January 1971, of one of the greatest Goodison goals in living memory - a volley past Peter Bonetti after swift interplay between Hurst, Harvey and Ball. We deliver within 5 minutes of our stores and not farther to maximize freshness. Dennis was the one to drop-off and help Jimmy Gabriel and Tony Kay in midfield he was the workhorse. I was also player manager of Ellesmere Port in the Cheshire County League for a year and briefly coached the youth team on a part time basis at Tranmere with Johnny King - who had played with me at Everton. A new documentary on legendary Texas Blues musicians Stevie Ray and Jimmy Vaughan promises to tell stories you've never heard before including Jimmy's last words to Stevie Ray before he died in a . A league championship and FA Cup winner at Goodison Park following a transfer from Dundee in 1960, Gabriel who would declare long after retirement the Club was in my blood scored 37 goals in 303 appearances during seven years as an Everton player. They were the days when a player scored and shook hands with his teammates trotting back to the middle. Ridiculously muddy. Straight away Harry Cooke said Come on were taking you back to your digs grab a suitcase as youre going off with the 1st team. He'd probably do better than Jelavic on current form http://cricketsoccer.com/wrong-end-ye-muppet-a-collection-of-own-goals/. "Les McDowall, who had been manager of Manchester City in the 1950s, came to see me and I signed for Oldham. Its where I won the league and the FA Cup. 3,999 Likes, 50 Comments - Everton (@everton) on Instagram: ""They've [Garner and Patterson] been out a while, and they both need games. Jimmy sum is a renowned name in the real estate industry of Singapore. Call +65 9091 8188 for showflat viewing arrangement and to get the latest price update from us. jimmy never everton 03 Jun. It mustn't have been a good period for EFC (late-50s/early-60s waiting for the 62-63 season). Later I worked for 5 years as a sales consultant for Godfrey Davis which was a really good job but then they got taken over. Watching, you knew (even as a kid) that Labby was a centre-half, Ball-Harvey-Kendall were midfield players and Joe Royle was a centre forward. Deep down the players felt that things were beginning to unravel and the nail in the coffin was when Harry had his heart attack. Eugene, that hair cut. Same for his namesake, Brian. He scored some great goals for the Blues, and was at times a un-sung hero for Everton. He left for Southampton 12 months later and had five years with the south coast team before playing for Bournemouth, Swindon Town and Brentford. In the unlikely event that the FA decides to turn back the clock on that one, who would make a good number 12 in the current squad? In the 1969-70 season he was the equivalent of Harper or Richardson in the mid 1980's sides. Jimmy Harris was a ray of sunshine in a gloomy era for Everton. The fans had these cups filled with sand, they threw them on top of the netting and it came down on us - in our hair and down our backs. The whole Everton staff, from youngest to eldest, went down to Wembley for the 1966 FA Cup Final I just remember the game with Mike Trebilcocks double and Derek Temples thunderbolt. A great player and an intelligent player in a great side. Players in Everton's early history are also included despite not necessarily playing 100 matches. I was a really big fan of Jimmy Harris. Howard knew this and if the full-back went with me he would drift into space on the right flank ready to receive a ball from Tommy and put in a good cross for Joe to get on the end of - this was just something the two of us worked out together in training. Many of us were saddened when he moved back to play in midfieldbut wherever he played he always gave his all and is truly one of the Clubs greats. It was very hard and I hardly saw the kids for two years as I was either in bed or at the pub when they were at home. We bake our bread in-house and slice our meats, cheese and fresh veggies by hand so that we can make you the perfect Freaky Fresh sandwich. People do recognise me out and about it only takes one person to say something and then everyone gets their smart-phones out to check YouTube and say Hey, you were a bloody good player! I met my wife, Val when I was in the Everton B team, she was still at school and we met in a youth club - were still together now. After the game, we spoke to Jimmy and asked him would he like to come back to Goodison; he said that he loved the blues. We then had a game at Forest but I had the flu - when I got up from bed, there was a letter for me saying "not retained". Sheedy scooped high over their defence and Inchy blasted into the roof of the Gwladys Street to round off an excellent team performance and the start of a period of games in and around Xmas and new year where we were absolutely unstoppable.. English teams were always getting beaten in Europe so we had to follow with the flat back four. The apprentice wages were 8 per week more than my mum was getting full time. Here's the little report from the Daily Mirror of 11 January 1960: Everton's 3-0 FA Cup drubbing by little Bradford City may be followed by a sensational transfer request from their 25,000 Scottish star Bobby Collins. When Gary Peters quit the club in February 1998, Moyes (a 34-year-old defender) replaced him. Now retired and living in Prenton, Jimmy was engaging and frank company when looking back at his life in football: "I grew up on Temple Road in Prenton. Of course, I think about Southampton at times, because I had five years there, but Everton was my big club. He was a quiet, humble man off the pitch and Im honoured that I got to know him personally when he re-joined the Blues as Colin Harveys assistant in the early 1990s. However, the Everton Board minutes of 6 January 1959, three days after a 4-0 defeat at Newcastle, record that Johnny Carey accepted full responsibility for the players not having rubber-soled boots. In those four seasons we won a heck of a lot more than we lost. 16/05/2013 at There it is, in 72pt Century Bold type, from the Daily Post of Monday, January 18, 1971. Bob Latchford on an ice rink against Birmingham in a 5-2 triumph. Joe Everton . A post on Everton's Twitter account paid tribute, reading: "Everyone at Everton Football Club is deeply saddened to hear the news that our former player and coach, Jimmy Gabriel, has passed away. Paul Ferry (260) Did you mean Mike or (Chelsea's) John Dempsey? I tend to get up for one game each season - I took a friend up for the Reading game this season and the Former Players Foundation looked after us. It was a crazy time at one stage we were being coached by Tommy Casey and he was an old fashioned coach - some of the things we were being told to do were totally alien to the way we played. Gabriel was in manager Cattericks side when Everton produced one of the greatest of all FA Cup final comebacks, overturning a 2-0 deficit to beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-2 in 1966. When the season starts I really miss that. Experienced Advocate & Positive Voice for Hillsboro . Jimmy Harris was a ray of sunshine in a gloomy era for Everton. Oregon is one of the most expensive places in the country to live, but it doesn't have to be like this. A sensational goal., There was a goal scored by Jimmy Husband (against Chelsea I think). The particular smell of the accompanying chewing gum wafted in front of my nostrils for a second. He subsequently enjoyed management roles at both Bristol City and Rochdale before going back to the dressing room as First Team Coach at Preston, then in the Second Division, under the stewardship of David Moyes. As always you can unsubscribe at any time. I did suffer from homesickness and Everton paid for my rail ticket home every month. Gabriel also represented the likes of Dundee, Southampton and Seattle Sounders during his playing career before moving into coaching. Since 1888, 48 players have held the position of club captain for Everton. 'Not good for me' - Brentford star makes Liverpool transfer claim after 22m deal, Brentford forward Kevin Schade has revealed the reasons why he would have rejected the chance to sign for Liverpool in the January transfer window, Everton transfer news LIVE - Pedro wanted, Lewis Ferguson price set, investor talks, Everton transfer news, rumours, gossip and speculation including updates on Flamengo forward Pedro, Lewis Ferguson, Renan Lodi and build-up to the Premier League match with Nottingham Forest, FSG have a 10 billion factor to consider in Liverpool sale as 'crisis' warning sent, Increasing broadcast rights have underpinned a rise in valuations and investment in the Premier League, Sean Dyche facing biggest Everton question as Abdoulaye Doucoure hints at 'personal issue', Your Everton morning headlines as Sean Dyche faces answer to Blues problem and Abdoulaye Doucoure discusses Frank Lampard rift rumours, Virgil van Dijk makes 'nervous' plea to Liverpool fans before Man United clash, The Dutchman has called on players and fans to come together to help the team get over the line against the Red Devils on Sunday, 'I am spared' - Amadou Onana shares Everton fan theory and makes 'mythical' claim, The Belgium international has built a rapport with Everton supporters while impressing since his summer move from France, Jurgen Klopp knows Roberto Firmino replacement as Liverpool star criticised by Dutch icon, Your Liverpool morning headlines as Jurgen Klopp already knows his Roberto Firmino replacement and Wesley Sneijder aims a fresh dig at Virgil van Dijk, ITV Loose Women's Carol McGiffin explains appearance change as fans concerned, The panelist lifted the lid on her "drama", Deserted shopping centre with 'no shops' left used to be biggest in Europe, Runcorn Shopping City has lost plenty of shops in recent years, Emmerdale fans taken aback as Lucy Pargeter shares real age, The Chas Dingle star has appeared in Emmerdale since 2002, Coronation Street fans demand to know where they've seen newcomer before, Many viewers took to social media to ask where they recognised Sarah Platt's new business partner from, Good Morning Britain's Ben Shephard warns Kate Garraway 'could be jailed' after career confession, The Tipping Point presenter was in hysterics as he aimed a cheeky jibe at his co-host, Roberto Firmino's agent breaks silence on 'unbelievably emotional' Liverpool exit, Roberto Firmino refused to hold talks with other clubs before deciding his Liverpool future, according to his agent, Meet the doctor who travels the world helping those in need, "I think he was just so scarred from what had happened to him. That 8-2 beating at Newcastle, that day I was at Anfield watching another idol making his debut. Nice article. "When I was 18, I had to do national service with the army in Germany - Everton never saw me for two years. So Joe, Johnny Morrissey and myself formed the attack. We deliver within 5 minutes of our stores and not farther to maximize freshness. But others in the should be in the top 10 section included: Tommy Eglingtons header into the Park End goal v Arsenal, 25 August 1954, to win the game 1-0. I guess they knew that I had the speed, although I wasn't quick as I was before the hamstring injury, and could score goals. Confirm anyone? Lumsden began his coaching career as Eddie Gray's assistant at Leeds, but was fired along with Gray in September 1985. A sublime goal from Jimmy Husband. They sacked him whilst I was at Sheffield so I didn't know anything about it; when I got to Buxton, where Everton were having special training, all the lads had the Liverpool Echo out. Contents 1 Playing career 2 Managerial career 2.1 Preston North End 2.2 Everton 2.3 Manchester United 3 External links 4 References Playing career [ edit] That survey was topped, with 16 per cent of the vote, by Leon Osmans Europa League strike against Larissa. Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. I had digs in Tuebrook with a landlady for 3 years one of my colleagues was the England Schoolboy Captain and centre-half called Eric Curwen, a Blackpool lad. Born in Scotland, Gabriel started his career at hometown club Dundee, before moving to Everton in 1960 for an at the time record fee for a Scotsman of 27,000. 17:06:07, Posted The club's first captain was Nick Ross, who captained Everton during the 1888-89 season. Following this Moyes took his trusted Coach over to Goodison Park when he succeeded Walter Smith as Everton boss. Colin Harvey played it forward from defence and Jimmy Husband at full pace looked up as the ball came over his head and struck it on the volley as it dropped a brilliant goal.. This was largely the team that had come up from the Second Division and they were on the wane - how Cliff Britton never changed it I don't know. It was in a match between the league champions and the FA Cup holders. I could have gone to Tranmere but I didn't want to go local - I knew I wasn't the player I had been and didn't want people on Merseyside to see me at my worst. Just another site. Undisputed WWE Universal Championship: Roman Reigns (c) vs. Cody Rhodes . "I worked my way up through the B and A team; players like Brian Harris, Derek Temple and Eddie Thomas were all working their way up too. Trevor Stevens clincher on Goodisons greatest ever night. And it didnt even figure in a poll we ran to discover Goodison's greatest goal! Breasting it down on the turn, Husband hit the ball as it fell and away it soared, unstoppably, into the roof of the net. We lost 1-0 to a penalty by Duncan Edwards. After leaving Leeds he went to work in a Boarding School in Wetherby where he stayed for the next few years. Or is it the significance of the strike which matters? It was new to us but the kids loved it and I was earning more than at Luton Town where I had been paying 60% tax of my earnings. high speed chase sumter sc 2021 marine city high school staff marine city high school staff They won the All American University Soccer Tournament twice whilst he was there and hes now a fireman-paramedic. They can't get back quickly enough.". Finished a great move started by Eggo, involving several passes, a long run and then on the end of Hicksons chipped pass back to him as he surged into the goalmouth. At least until Gylfi Sigurdsson matches his Leicester stunner with a similar strike at Goodison Park! I played and scored at Villa and also had a good game on the next day. Bookmark. We also may change the frequency you receive our emails from us in order to keep you up to date and give you the best relevant information possible. Disclaimer. We played some really excellent football from 1967 to 1971its arguable that we were the best footballing team in Britain and thats why many Everton fans think of us as one of their best teams ever. The players played with their hearts for peanuts most of them unlike today's overpaid prima donnas. In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site. cristina's restaurant salsa recipe. He won 7 trophies as captain, including 2 First Division titles, 4 Charity Shields, and 1 Cup Winners' Cup. As he states, he used to drift from the right wing across the front line, creating space for others. The 'feud' continues. Jimmy Kimmel says he hopes his frenemy Matt Damon never gets an Oscar nom again and that he somehow caused the 'Moonlight' Best Picture envelope mix-up at the 2017 ceremony. By then I was 32 and the USA was the in thing for players in their later years like Muller, Pele and Beckenbauer. 23:15:25, Posted Kev, Sandy Brown was a great servant to usI mean servant to EFC, I don't live in Downton Abbeyand the Mirror (I think) had a competition to find the player with the hardest shot in football, Lorimer won I but I think Brown was second. She had had a grocer's shop and one of the Everton directors, Norman Coffey, had a firm which supplied small shops like hers - he must have called in the shop and they got talking. Howard Kendall tended to play to the right side, Bally in centre-mid and Colin Harvey in left-mid but it was interchangeable. I had cartilage trouble - I'd had it out when I was at Birmingham. 12:30:04, Posted On August 18, 1927, in the small town of Plains, Georgia, nurse Lillian Carter delivered a baby named Eleanor Rosalynn Smith or Rosalynn, for short. 11:26:36, Posted 16/05/2013 at Every day we used to start at Goodison Park, where the 1st team through to the B team got changed and got coaches up to Bellefield where we trained. Gabriel was part of the 1963 Division One-winning side, led by Harry Caterick, as well as the team that lifted the FA Cup three years later. They just put me there. My call-up came as a bit of a shock as Dave Hickson was the "bees-knees"- although I thought he had no pace and was all bustle. With the dismissal of David Moyes as Manchester United manager on 22 April 2014, Lumsden also parted company with the club along with assistant manager, Steve Round. 14:40:49, Posted I then worked in another sales job and Ive been retired about 7 years now. Kevin Ratcliffe, who captained Everton during their most successful period in history, is Everton's most decorated captain. 21:42:06, Posted The Carey-Collins era turned the corner for Everton and sorry, Jimmy, but Vernon was just terrific. It was always a great thrill; yes you see it on television but its not the same. Interesting article - especially as this week I received a present of the Daily Mirror of the day I was born - 11 January 1960..and as that day was a Monday, I went straight to look for how Everton had done a couple of days earlier. In the final we drew 2-2 at home to Roma and got beaten 2-0 in Rome.*. Born in Dundee in October 1940, Gabriel started with his hometown club and was twice capped by Scotland. Such was his impact that he was hailed as the "The discovery of 1955"by Don Kendall in the Evening Express. I never played for two months and then went in plaster and that was more or less the end of me. The whole team were off-colour that day: Joe, Alan and I each missed a couple of half chances and we just couldnt finish it. Out of the blue Jamie then got a sports scholarship in the University of Miami and he has lived out there ever since. We would have won the European Cup in 1971 if Husband hadn't have been crippled in the home leg of the Panathanaikos tie. Against Panathinaikos their skipper took me out in the Goodison leg with a similar challenge to Dave Mackays so I missed the return leg and within the space of a week we were out of the European Cup and the FA Cup. Harry disliked the TV cameras as he felt that Everton would have been on very often (as a top team) and that it would have enabled other teams' managers to rumble our tactics. Roy played off me, I'd move and he'd go up the middle as I had the speed to get around and pull everybody out. "When we were walking out for the final in Rome, they stopped and we kept walking. The back-four did not come in until the sixties. Versatile and intelligent, he'd have been worth a lot of money these days. Bellefield was run like a military camp whereas Luton was more easy come easy go. We didn't think it would be a good idea to ask him for his autograph, but by the end of the day I had told at least a hundred friends that me and Alan had been with Jimmy Harris at the baths. Not so good. It was much later (I think with the Dutch side) that I first heard about 'free roles'. "On the half volley he immediately passed it on to Husband running towards the Chelsea box and as the pass landed, Jimmy hit a superb first time half volley past (I think) Bonnetti. I had a trial on the Friday, told them I wasn't fit and then found myself on the pitch at Old Trafford on the Saturday afternoon! Osmans exocet garnered just one more vote than Kevin Sheedys twice taken free-kick against Ipswich and Barry Hornes Premier League place saving piledriver against Wimbledon. The Angel Gabriel was one of my first real heroes, he said. He got us back on the rail. Sandy never received the kudos from us that he probably deserved. Jimmy joined Everton FC in the summer of 2002 as Head Coach, assisting David Moyes and Alan Irvine. Disclaimer. Get rid of these ads and support ToffeeWeb, Bet on Everton and get a deposit bonus with bet365 at TheFreeBetGuide.com. Jimmy Harris was a hero of mine, watching him from 1956-57 until he left us. The team were in the process of changing to 4-3-3 and neither Ernie Hunt and Alex Scott were suited to that system - wingers were virtually becoming a thing of the past. Footballers come and go at clubs but at Everton we have many who seem to have been there forever Jimmy Gabriel was one of those. It was poetry of motion from the moment Hurst brought the ball out of his own area to send Harvey up the middle. Jimmy Comer - Profile. I have great faith that together, we can build upon the success this club has enjoyed over many years."[3]. Ill take your word for it Gordon Williams of Penketh. Substitute appearances included. We use cookies to enhance your experience on ToffeeWeb and to enable certain features. It is an indication of just how superb our first team was in those days that he usually only played to cover injuries. Within a week or two Andy actually signed for Everton. 28/06/2014 at "I played up front with John Willie Parker and there was Eddie Wainwright, Nobby Fielding, Tommy Eglington, Cyril Lello, Eric Moore, Jimmy Tansey and Jimmy O'Neill was in goal. "Premier League: Manchester United appoint Steve Round as assistant manager", "Man Utd News | Team news, injury updates, transfers, new signings", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jimmy_Lumsden&oldid=1114529203, *Club domestic league appearances and goals, This page was last edited on 6 October 2022, at 23:54. In an epoch of battering-ram Number 9s, Jimmy was different - a fast, mobile all-round forward who could play across the front line. Probably Fellaini at a push, but I'd hate to see him as a full back. Everton Football Club is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of the Clubs exceptional former midfielder Jimmy Gabriel. Gabriel twice assumed the position of caretaker manager, overseeing one match a 3-0 victory over Queens Park Rangers in November 1990, and seven games across December 1993 and January 1994. The next three in the list were all headers perhaps underlining Evertonian appreciation of proper centre-forwards Dixies 60th, Duncan Fergusons first v Liverpool and Alex Youngs soaring header against Spurs while there were honourable mentions for Graeme Sharps volley v Spurs and Trevor Stevens strike against Sunderland. Apparently not. 20/05/2013 at Talking about his affection for Everton in 2009, Gabriel said: Everton is in your blood thats what happens when you play for them. He was a player ahead of his time who would have prospered in today's turbocharged game. We got to the final of the 1961 Inter City Fairs Cup. Id had enough of football by then so we moved back into our house in Bedfordshire and I did what a lot of players did: by taking over the tenancy of a pub in a nearby village for two years. Very quickly he became a tough-tackling inspirational right-half, forming a terrific no-nonsense partnership with Bryan Harris on the left. Email Dave Prentice if we haven't included your personal favourite on dave.prentice@reachplc.com, Everton FC's Jimmy Husband sprints after the ball. In the end they didnt sign him as a pro but that was no disgrace as they did have an excellent youth team then. 00:08:11, Posted Posted Harry Haslam, their manager, was totally different to Harry he was always telling jokes and wasnt a disciplinarian - it was so much easier going. He was a very good player in an era when we had very few. Harris scores past Harry Gregg of Manchester United, 18 October, 1958. Since 1888, 48 players have held the position of club captain for Everton. I mean everyone else had a completely fixed position, which you could tell by watching where they played. Good memories there, Rob. 17:47:14, Posted jimmy never everton The right-winger made more than 300 appearances for the Toffees during a seven-year stay at Goodison Park . Everton took the lead with a Husband goal that deserved to be put on film for the majesty of its creation and the power of its finish, he reported. He undertook to ensure that players were, henceforth, correctly shod for the ground conditions. So I came back and started looking for a job. Or Neville (RIP). 20/05/2013 at A transfer request from Collins would shatter Everton fans, whose loyalty has already been shaken by the club's failure to sign new stars. RIP Jimmy.". It seems Jimmy Husband might just have scored the greatest goal Goodison has ever seen! 17:07:24, Posted Watching Jimmy actually threw me a bit, I think my kid's brain wanted him further forward IN the forward line, or further back in midfield (football OCD? Underrated player, played in almost every position for us. Everton wanted me full-time before that, and I wanted to go on the ground-staff. 07:29:00, Posted Its impossible to say. I didnt fancy indoor soccer but it was a job so we moved up there; it was glorious in the summer and autumn but the winter weather was similar to Calgary! Liked your very apt title. Last edited on 19 February 2023, at 21:37, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_Everton_F.C._players&oldid=1140384454, Captained Everton's first title-winning side, First Everton goalscorer in a FA Cup Final, Top Football League goalscorer in 190102, Top Football League goalscorer in 190607, Top Football League goalscorer in 190809, Top Football League goalscorer in 191415, Top Football League goalscorer in 192324, Top Football League goalscorer in 193738, 193839, Member of the first non-UK side to beat England at home, Club captain 19711974, Manager 198187, 199093, 199798, Top Football League goalscorer in 197778, Top Football League goalscorer in 198586, Club captain 19922000; Caretaker manager 1997, 2002 UEFA European Under-17 Football Championship Golden Player, 200506, 200607 Everton Player of the Year, 201011 & 201213 Everton Player of the Year, 200809 & 2014-15 Everton Player of the Year, 201112 Everton Players' Player of the Year, Most Premier League appearances of all time, Everton's record Premier League goalscorer, This page was last edited on 19 February 2023, at 21:37.