He who dwells in the secret place (Hebrew: seter) of the Most High will rest (Heb. I will say of the Lord, He is my then come three mys, as if the psalmist could grasp the Triune Jehovah, my refuge, my fortress, my God; in him will I trust. What a grand word that is, My God! El means god (note the small g), and can be used for any god. They who fear God are delivered from the vices which would deprive them of the vigor of life; and the joy and contentment they have in God help them to live longer than others. Scriptures Relating to the Second Coming, Apocalypse of the Gospels - Milton S. Terry, Commentary on Matthew 24 - J. That the angels of light shall be serviceable to them, v. 11, 12. However, the conditional nature of the promises serve as a warning that the promises will no longer apply if we disassociate ourselves from Yahweh. In this verse, resting in the shadow of the Almighty is the blessing that the faithful person experiences for dwelling in Yahwehs presence. 1. ; and Briggs, Charles A., The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon (Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers, 1906, 2004), Doniach, N.S. It would have served Israel well during Davids reign, when Israel was beset by many enemies. Copyright 2010-2023 Telling Ministries LLC. Psalm 91 Inductive Bible Study Guide and Questions for Small Group We have heard of people who have attributed their recovery from serious illness to the prayers said in their behalf. 3. Sadday often appears with the Hebrew word el, which is a generic word for a godany god. 10 no evil shall happen to you, In this verse, pestilence is portrayed as walking at nightan unseen and deadly threat. To whom these promises do belong; they are described by three characters:(1.) They sicken millions of people every year, and often kill them. Note, 1. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. I will be with him in trouble; Whatever that trouble is, I will be with him in it. 9-10). One old divine calls a man a worm six feet long; and it is rather a flattering description of him. The devil is called a roaring lion, the old serpent, the red dragon; so that to this promise the apostle seems to refer in that (Rom 16 20), The God of peace shall tread Satan under your feet. Amen. Quantity: Cart +. . What Is The Evidence For/Against The Existence Of God? Changes will take effect once you reload the page. All the Prayers in the Bible - Old and New Testaments. (2.) Here is great security promised to believers in the midst of this danger: "Thou shalt not be afraid. Naught shall strike thee with dismay, Fear by night, nor shaft by day." Verse 7. Again at the end of day. 9 Because you have made Yahweh your refuge, Yahweh is like that. 8 You will only look with your eyes, But we must also acknowledge that not all prayers for healing are answered. Some make this to be spoken to the angels as the reason of the charge given them concerning the saints, as if he had said, "Take care of them, for they are dear to me, and I have a tender concern for them." With the greatest tenderness and affection, which is intimated in that, He shall cover thee with his feathers, under his wings, which alludes to the hen gathering her chickens under wings, Matt 23 37. Click to enable/disable essential site cookies. 2023 Grace to You. Their Worm Does Not Die: Annihilation and Mark 9:48, Evidence for the Resurrection - William Lane Craig -Text and Audio, The Evidence for Jesus - William Lane Craig - Text and Video. Am I really moving today and acting today as divine providence leads me, and as duty calls me? He who travels on the kings business, by daylight, along the kings highway, may be sure of the kings protection. Wisdom shall keep thee from being causelessly afraid, and faith shall keep thee from being inordinately afraid. 13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet. He will deliver those people. The word sagab (set him on high) means to raise, exalt, or defend. But those promises are conditional on making Yahweh your refuge and the Most High your dwelling place. Verse 9 assumes that the reader has complied with these conditions, so the promises apply. 11-12). 7 A thousand may fall at your side, But the psalmist wrote these verses to reassure the faithful that Yahweh will send his angels to guard themto bear them upto protect them from dangers large and small (dashing ones foot against a stone sounds small compared to some dangers). Surely, oh, blessed word! After clicking 'Register', you will receive an email with a link to verify your account and to complete your registration. Psalms 91 He preached in the same church as C. H. Spurgeon over one hundred years earlier. The Nature Of The Death Threatened As The Penalty Of Sin - Edward White, The Penalty of Death for Disobedience - Froom, Traditionalism and the (Not So) Second Death - Chris Date, Biblical Examples of Everlasting Destruction, Destroyed For Ever: An Examination of the Debates Concerning Annihilation and Conditional Immortality, Eternal Destruction Is Decreed Doom of Wicked - Leroy Edwin Froom, Further Biblical Support for Everlasting Destruction, The Destruction of the Finally Impenitent - Clark H. Pinnock, Biblical Analysis of Claimed Support Texts for Eternal Torture, Challenge to the Doctrine of Eternal Torment, Future Punishment is Eternal - Henry Constable - 1875, MAJOR Problems for the Eternal Torment Position, The Doctrine Of Future Rewards And Punishments In The Old Testament - Edward White, The Final End of the Wicked - Edward Fudge - Audio Interview, The Nature of the Future Punishment of the Wicked - C. F. Hudson, Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment, Universal Restoration Substituted for Eternal Torment - Froom. The large shield offers protection over a larger areaand a line of soldiers can put their rectangular shields together to form a nearly impenetrable wall against enemy arrows. Jesus ChristUnique Savior or Average Fraud? Both are appropriate in this verse. . They shall be the special favourites of God himself, ver 14-16. With the greatest power and efficacy. But surely in the day-time, when we can look about us, we are not so much in danger; yes, there is an arrow that flieth by day too, and yet flies unseen; there is a destruction that wasteth at high-noon, when we are awake and have all our friends about us; even then we cannot secure ourselves, nor can they secure us. Truth doesnt shift with every passing folly. I am old, and expect to die within a few years. If the face of such a harsh reality as this, God is placed in the position of being the protecting parent of His young as their fortress, shield, and protector. and from the deadly pestilence (Hebrew: deber) (v. 3b). The psalmist assures believers of divine protection, from his own experience; and that which he says is the word of God, and what we may rely upon. Angels are not appropriate objects of our worship. You will trample the young lion and the serpent underfoot (v. 13). It comes creeping in, and fills the air with death before you perceive its approach; but He shall deliver thee from the noisome pestilence. There is a pestilence of dangerous and accursed error abroad at this time; but if we dwell in the secret place of the most High, it cannot affect us; we shall be beyond its power. Aye, that is true, you will say, who makes any doubt of it? What does it mean to take the Lord's name in vain? He will live as long as he wants to live. This promise protects, (1.) Here we read about thousands falling to the left and to the right as in the day when Israel battled ancient nationsthe land would be scattered with dead bodies so those who read this at the time it was written had a good idea what this meant. The wonderful thing is that God is love (1 John 4:16). They are able to bear up the saints out of the reach of danger, and they do it with all the tenderness and affection wherewith the nurse carries the little child about in her arms; it speaks us helpless and them helpful. As the little chicks bury their tiny heads in the feathers of the hen, and seem happy, and warm, and comfortable under their mothers wings, so shall it be with thee if thou dwellest with thy God: He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust.. (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2006-2009), VanGemeren, Willem A. The Nature of Man - Dualistic or Holistic? As it will aggravate the damnation of sinners that with their eyes they shall behold and see the reward of the righteous (Luke 13 28), so it will magnify the salvation of the saints that with their eyes they shall behold and see the destruction of the wicked, Isa 66 24; Ps 58 10. The blessing of His preservation: And show him My salvation. The natural life, and is often fulfilled in our preservation from those dangers which are very threatening and very near, while yet we ourselves are not apprehensive of them, any more than the bird is of the snare of the fowler. Psalms 91:15. With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation. 4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings 91:2 ), from which he gives both direction and encouragement to others, Ps. [3.] 1. The sprinkling of blood secured the first-born of Israel when thousands fell. To worship angels is to run afoul of the First Commandment, You shall have no other gods before me (Exodus 2:3; see also Matthew 4:10). When we meet with trouble and accident, we ought to inquire whether we are in Gods way. to guard you in all your ways. Because you have made the Lord your dwelling placethe Most High, who is my refuge no evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent.. Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked. Enter your email address and we will send you instructions on how to reset your password. All rights reserved. That he will exalt and dignify them: I will set him on high, out of the reach of trouble, above the stormy region, on a rock above the waves, Isa 33 16. If this is your position, you shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. You are not safe in the outer courts; you are not protected from all danger anywhere but within the vail. In this case, the psalmist emphasizes its deadly character. You can also change some of your preferences. His wings and his feathers suggest both power and softness. He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. When God takes his people to dwell in nearness to himself, and they have faith in this promise, I make no doubt that, literally, in the time of actual pestilence, they will be preserved. He assures us that we can enjoy the same confidence if we dwell in he secret place of the Most High (v. 1). His nature we cannot fully know; but by his name he has made himself known, and with that we must acquaint ourselves. If you do not want that we track your visit to our site you can disable tracking in your browser here: We also use different external services like Google Webfonts, Google Maps, and external Video providers. Psalms 91:15. Yahweh was Gods personal name for the Israelites. He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. The principle, however, can be extended to fit any situation. (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1979-1988), Brown, Francis; Driver, S.R. II. 13 You will tread on the lion and cobra. It is not every man who dwells there; no, not even every Christian man. What is Psalm 91 all about? To encourage us to make the Lord our habitation, and to hope for safety and satisfaction in him, the psalmist intimates the comfort he had had in doing so: "He whom thou makest thy habitation is my refuge; and I have found him firm and faithful, and in him there is room enough, and shelter enough, both for thee and me." John MacArthur) BRAIN GAMES. QUESTION - Why is the gate that leads to destruction wide Matthew 713. . Chicks taking refuge under their mothers wings serve as a metaphor for people finding refuge in Gods presence. The word elyon is usually translated Most High, and is usually used for God. 2. The psalmist can feel secure, because he is confident that Yahweh will deliver him from the snare (pah) of the fowler (a person who sets traps to catch birds, usually for eating). It is more probably that the word refers to the better country, that is, the heavenly, which the patriarchs desired and sought: he will show him that, bring him to that blessed state, the felicity of which consists so much in seeing that face to face which we here see through a glass darkly; and, in the mean time, he will give him a prospect of it. For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence.. (2.) Others make idols their refuge, but I will say of Jehovah, the true and living God, He is my refuge: any other is a refuge of lies. Now here it is promised. It goes beyond head-knowledge to heart-knowledge. At the time that the psalmist wrote this psalm, the Israelite people had not yet developed a strong belief in eternal life, as we know it in the New Testamentso the salvation mentioned here probably meant to the psalmist only deliverance from trouble. He that has given grace to be the glory of the soul will create a defence upon all that glory. ): Surely he shall deliver thee. They shall be the charge of the holy angels, ver 10-12. It is not every professing Christian, nor every believer who attains this height of experience; but only such as believe the promise, and fulfill the heavenly condition of dwelling in the secret place of the most High. Psalms 91:14. Since the UK is now no longer a member of the EU, you may be charged an import tax on this item by the customs authorities in your country of residence, which is beyond our control. ", Counterfeit Cross - Bear or Burn: The Fruit of Obedience in the Parables of Christ - updated, Counterfeit Cross - What is a "Carnal Christian"? Whatever the case, these verses assure us that God will deliver us. The MacArthur Bible Commentary. If Jehovah be our God, our refuge, and our fortress, what can we desire which we may not be sure to find in him? Every bullet has its commission. Click to enable/disable _gat_* - Google Analytics Cookie. A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand; but it will not come near you (v. 7). there is no doubt about this great truth, Surely, he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.. As is customary with poetry, the psalmist doesnt amplify on the meaning of seter, but instead leaves it up to us to tease out the possibilities.