San Jacinto Peak (10810 ft): 39-44 inches (new snow 8 inches), Little Round Valley (9800 ft): 44-48 inches, heavily drifted, Wellman Divide (9700 ft): 42 inches (6 inches), Seven Pines Trail junction with Deer Springs Trail (8700 ft): 35 inches (6 inches), Annies Junction/PCT Mile 180.8 (9070 ft): 46 inches (5 inches), Long Valley (8600 ft): 22 inches (4 inches), Strawberry Junction (8100 ft): 16 inches (5 inches), Saddle Junction/PCT Mile 179 (8070 ft): 22 inches (6 inches), Devils Slide trailhead at Humber Park (6550 ft): 3-6 inches (6 inches, partly melted by afternoon of 15th), Idyllwild (at 5550 ft): 2 inches (5 inches, largely melted by afternoon of 15th). Spikes will likely become increasingly useful over the next few days and weeks as established trails become consolidated by hiker traffic and undergo freeze-thaw cycles. The avalanche was an unusual occurrence on Mount San Jacinto, RMRU President Eric Holden said. LockA locked padlock Often spikes are especially valuable for descending even when they are no necessarily needed for ascending. Section D. I-15/Cajon Pass to Hwy-14/Agua Dulce. SNOW DEPTHS measured on 1st January 2023 are as follows. "Usually, at this time of year, snowfall would keep people out," Weston said. Summertime tends to be the most crowded but it is a great mountain to climb anythime of year. Sadly weight of snow has caused the roof of one shop in town to collapse, and I saw one collapsed car port (with cars inside) under the dramatic volume of snow. Jeff H. Keymaster. Dutch Flat, at about 5600 ft elevation between Idyllwild and Pine Cove, recorded 0.86 inch of rain by 1300. Early on Monday 23rd January I ascended San Jacinto Peak via the east side (Devils Slide, Wellman, and Peak trails) that I had broken last Wednesday 18th, and descended the west side via (more-or-less) Deer Springs Trail. They are not currently recommended for traversing moderate angle slopes above 9000 ft that have challenging ice underlying shallow powder. With the light fresh powder the previous evening, accompanied by very strong winds causing extensive drifting, prior tracks, including my own from 13th, had been totally erased everywhere so I was again breaking trail the entire way. It remains well above freezing there, currently at 41F. The USFS gate at Humber Park remains closed. Although the high country currently has its deepest snow accumulation in almost four years, since March 2019, this winter nevertheless remains well below the average for snowfall in the San Jacinto mountains to late January. Black Mountain Road closed on 7th November to vehicle traffic at the gate 1.7 miles up from Highway 243 (see Forest Service website regarding this closure here). Sadly it is looking increasingly likely that neither storm will significantly impact the San Jacinto mountains. Although not required, many hikers will find spikes useful especially for descending. Forecasts are currently predicting 30-50 inches of snow for the highest peaks of the San Jacinto mountains (>10,000 ft) mainly between 23rd and 25th February, and about 18-30 inches for the Idyllwild area (5000-6000 ft elevations). Be prepared for trails above about 8000 ft (possibly lower in places) obscured by moderate snow, and even fresh tracks being erased by spindrift snow in places. Conversely in places scouring by the wind means the depths are well below the average. The first storm system comes through overnight on Tuesday 27th, with precipitation continuing into the morning of Wednesday 28th. The freeze level was above 7000 ft for most of the storm, with freezing rain plastering the vegetation as high as 10,000 ft. Due to the very high freeze level snowfall was restricted to a light dusting above 8200 ft, increasing to one inch above 9000 ft and 1.5 inch above 10,000 ft. Impacts will be minimal on high country trails, but trails between 7000-9000 ft with pre-existing snow may be a mix of slush, snow and ice, and will require some caution. The source is here. Little Round Valley (9800 ft): 45 inches, heavily drifted, Wellman Divide (9700 ft): 40 inches (45 inches), Annies Junction/PCT Mile 180.8 (9070 ft): 44 inches (45-48 inches), Tahquitz Peak (8836 ft): 25 inches, heavily drifted to 40 inches in places (measured 20th January), Seven Pines Trail junction with Deer Springs Trail (8700 ft): 36 inches, Strawberry Junction/PCT Mile 183 (8100 ft): 15 inches, Saddle Junction/PCT Mile 179 (8070 ft): 19 inches (21 inches), Suicide Rock Trail junction with Deer Springs Trail (6950 ft): 1-3 inches, Devils Slide trailhead at Humber Park (6550 ft): 2-4 inches (5-6 inches), Idyllwild (at 5550 ft): 0-2 inches (3 inches). "Everything he has done indicates he was not an experienced hiker. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports. June 20, 2017 at 7:59 pm #387136. I recorded a short video at the Peak, available here on YouTube. I put on my Kahtoola microspikes to descend from the Peak, ultimately leaving them on most of the way down Devils Slide Trail. However the high country has been largely above this precipitation, with the sun even trying to peek out at times in Long Valley, and only about another inch of snow was added there this morning. We talk about his top SoCal mountains, tips & advice for long day hikes and newbie hikers, salsa dancing up Half Dome, redemption on San Gorgonio, disappearing on Ontario Peak, completing the Six Pack of Peaks challenge in one month, Cactus to Clouds vs Iron Mountain, summit cypher, dance origins, and the one hike he would re-live all over again. The trailhead is reached by turning east off Highway 38 to Forest Falls, then continuing until the road ends at the top and east end of Big Falls Picnic Area. Forecasts are currently indicating about 30-40 inches of snow for the highest peaks of the San Jacinto mountains (>10,000 ft) between 21st and 25th February, and about 18-30 inches for Idyllwild (5000-6000 ft elevations). Hikers should be prepared for temperatures generally below freezing in the high country, and well below freezing when considering wind chill effects (see below for my recent weather observations from San Jacinto Peak). With a rapidly changing climate in the region in recent years, it has become increasingly common for there to be little or no difference in snow quantities at mid and higher elevations, often because the high country remains above the cloud, and this system was no exception. Still one of the most scenic trails in San Gorgonio, Now is the time to do this hike before the weather changes. Report An Accident; Traffic Cameras >> Interstate 10 >> California >> North Palm Springs >> News Reports. My track largely followed the established route of the trail, especially below the Fuller Ridge junction, but higher up the track is much more direct in places. San Jacinto Peak (10810 ft): 37-42 inches, drifted >50 inches especially on east flank, Little Round Valley (9800 ft): 42-46 inches, heavily drifted, Seven Pines Trail junction with Deer Springs Trail (8700 ft): 35 inches, Annies Junction/PCT Mile 180.8 (9070 ft): 44 inches, Saddle Junction/PCT Mile 179 (8070 ft): 21 inches, Devils Slide trailhead at Humber Park (6550 ft): 0-2 inches. The Weather section below is updated. Temperatures on the morning of 15th were the lowest of this winter, and among the lowest of the past decade. On my ascent I put crampons on at Wellmans Cienega (9300 ft) and they were more-or-less essential for traversing the icy slopes of the Peak Trail. Most notable for our region is the remaining uncertainty within the meteorological models, which could result in us receiving half (or double!) The fourteenth and fifteenth storm systems of winter 2022/23 impacted the San Jacinto mountains back-to-back on 13th and 14th February, as discussed in the previous Report available here. My Alpine start meant that all layers remained firm throughout the ascent. Otherwise, reliable posthole tracks are in place from Saddle Junctions through to San Jacinto Peak via Wellman Divide, but parts will become obscured by drifting snow. Included in the re-opening were hiking trails outside of the burned area. Snowshoes will remain valuable anywhere off trail above about 8000 ft for the foreseeable future. By the afternoon of 15th, melting was already underway below 7000 ft. IMPORTANT UPDATE Friday 13th January: back-to-back Pacific storm systems are forecast to impact the San Jacinto mountains this weekend, the first on Saturday 14th, immediately followed by another Sunday 15th-Monday 16th January. Willow Creek Trail remains a relatively slow, messy hike for a couple of miles. The summit of San Gorgonio (11,499') is 3 miles beyond High Creek. This makes for less than perfect snowshoeing conditions, but still preferable to postholing. His body was found Saturday, nearly 1,000 feet below a spot where a partner thought he had fallen. Other than that the trailhead is a 30 minute drive over a sometimes rough road from the highway, I found little reason this should be the least popular route. Yesterday afternoon we checked Devils Slide trailhead at Humber Park, and measured an average snow depth of 26 inches. Although not essential in the moderate depth powder, spikes are strongly recommended and many hikers will find them useful especially for descending. Although some treefall hazards from Red Tahquitz to Antsell Rock (PCT Miles 172.5-175) were cleared in June 2021 prior to the rockslide removal work, the situation has badly deteriorated since. My Time: 9 hours 17 minutes (moving), 11 hours 37 minutes total. I put in a posthole track the entire way up, but crampons (with an ice axe) were necessary on the upper switchbacks above about 8300 ft due to the usual steeply angled ice obscured underneath 6-12 inches of powder. Got up early and made our way up the Mineshaft trail. At the Peak on Sunday 1st January 2023 at 0830 the air temperature was 17.9F (-8C), with a windchill temperature of -2.3F (-19C), 100% relative humidity, and a sharp WSW wind sustained at 11 mph gusting to 21.1 mph. Altitudes are approximate. These are free and self-issued. Long Valley (8600 ft) has added about two inches, where it continues to snow gently this morning. A major warming trend will significantly change conditions on the trail system in the next week or two. Many people are lost leaving the San Gorgonio Summit because they miss the trail going back to Vivian. The latest Trail Report (linked here) mentions the increasing avalanche risk with recent heavy wind-loaded snowfall on top of the icy pre-existing snow, and how avalanches occur every winter on the north face (contrary to erroneous information in recent local media stories). Some publications list the elevation as 11,502 feet. Lightly cloudy conditions made for a delightful hike on the evening of Monday 21st ascending San Jacinto Peak via Marion Mountain and Deer Spring trails, descending the east side (Devils Slide, Wellman, and Peak trails). PCT Mile 179.9 (8070 ft): 0-1 inch (was 3 inches on 9th November), Devils Slide Trail at Humber Park (6550 ft): 0 inch (was 2.5 inches on 9th November), Idyllwild (at 5550 ft): 0 inch (was <1 inch on 9th November). Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Four Hikers On The Summit Of San Gorgonio Mountain 1900-1915 Cali - Old Photo at the best online prices at eBay! These are free and self-issued. It's remote trailhead is probibly the only reason it's not as popular as the other routes. My posthole/glissading track between LRV and San Jacinto Peak is very direct and steep, and of limited help to an ascending hiker. United States government. For day use a permit is required on any of the trails in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. Free day use and overnight permits are required. By comparison, approximately 42 inches were recorded in February 2023 (provisional data). There was a dusting of snow in Garner Valley (4300 ft). For closure information, please visit our official PCT closures page. South Ridge Road (5S11) remains closed to vehicle traffic. Trip Report By. LockA locked padlock Hikers should be prepared for temperatures below freezing in the high country, and far below freezing when considering wind chill effects (see below for my recent weather observations from San Jacinto Peak). These can be obtained from any of the ranger stations or from many of the local merchants. Dark Canyon Road (4S02, the access to Seven Pines Trail), and Santa Rosa Truck Trail (7S02) also closed to vehicle traffic for the season on 7th November 2022. The first number is the current average total snow depth at that location, followed in parentheses by the depth of fresh snow added by the latest storm on Tuesday 10th. Snow depths measured at various locations on the trail system are given at the foot of this posting. Devils Slide Trail is functionally clear of icy snow to Saddle Junction. Spikes could potentially be used to ascend to the highest peaks at this time, although crampons are certainly safer for traversing (e.g., see photo below). The Ernie Maxwell Trail [surveyed 10th January] has minor patches of snow along its entire length, however it is largely clear for long sections, and the remaining snow is rarely icy. For about one mile north of Saddle Junction, snow cover is only a patchy 30% on the sun exposed slope (Angels Glide) and then averages about 50% on the Wellman Trail, but then icy snow cover is about 95% on the Peak Trail to San Jacinto Peak. There are layers of hard ice and firm icy snow beneath the fresh powder, and crampons are ideal at present everywhere above 9000 ft, potentially lower in places. There is a very well-traveled track on the lowest section of Deer Springs Trail continuing out to Suicide Rock. Palm Springs Desert Sun. For both storms snow estimates for the highest elevations range from 10-15 inches, with perhaps only an inch of snow in Idyllwild following some rainfall. Indeed the final third of December may be one of the warmest on record for the holiday period. My pre-dawn hike up Devils Slide Trail on 11th January was delightful, primarily because there was the noise of running water almost everywhere. SNOW DEPTHS measured on 23rd January 2023 (unless otherwise indicated) are as follows. For example, the PCT Mile 179.9 (8070 ft): 4 inches (storm total 3.5 inches), Devils Slide Trail at Humber Park (6550 ft): 3.5 inches (storm total 3.5 inches). Even if its warm and sunny at lower elevations, its cold and icy in the wilderness. If you have found this Report useful, please consider using this link to the Donate page. The next comprehensive Report update is not expected before Wednesday 18th January. Skyline Trail closed on 26th January due to dangerous weather conditions above the State Park boundary (5800 ft elevation). Back-to-back Pacific storm systems already the tenth and eleventh storms of this winter are forecast for Saturday 14th and then from late Sunday 15th January to the early hours of Tuesday 17th January. FOR SALE $699900 1629 Sams Cy Beaumont, CA 92223 - MLS #EV23032625 | 2 BedsTotal 3.00 Baths! Consequently cautious navigation is recommended everywhere. Authorities urged all hikers to travel with a companion, tell a friend or family member of their exact hiking path, stick to it if at all possible, know the weather forecast, dress warmly and understand that there are many mountainous pockets where cellphones don't work. Spitler Peak Trail (last surveyed 18th November) is clear of snow. DM, The correction has been changed. Spikes are recommended at least for descending upper Deer Springs Trail. From there I used snowshoes to ascend via Annies Junction and Wellman Divide. This may continue for several weeks, or could change given further fresh snowfall forecast. If you have found this Report useful, please consider using this link to the Donate page. I was surprised to find that no one had made it through on the Wellman Trail over the weekend, so I postholed somewhat over my snowshoe tracks from 15th until Wellman Divide. Started by: MikeH. It stopped snowing at about 0800. All water crossings easy for anyone. These concerns may steadily increase over the next few weeks with rising then falling temperatures, seasonally stronger insolation, and highly variable snowmelt. There is a section of the PCT that is also locally known as the camp Cajon Kauder more Join us in thanking these generous businesses for their support of the Pacific Crest Trail. Marion Mountain Trail has a lightly-traveled posthole track to follow, that does not follow the trail route in places. The top ten snowfall totals by winter for Idyllwild are as follows: While many hundreds of hours of time and labor are volunteered annually, the San Jacinto Trail Report uses small private donations to help cover modest operating costs. South Ridge Road (5S11) is also currently closed to vehicle traffic. Snow depths are expected to change multiple times over the next ten days due to mixed precipitation, including even possibly loss of snow at mid elevations due to rainfall. Amrhein said searchers had seen "not a thing, not a thing." There are three designated wilderness campsites on this trail: Vivian Creek Camp at 7,100' (no camping within 200 feet of the trail or creek), Halfway Camp at 8,100' (water is obtained from the creek 200 . This rain produces huge masses of ice in the trees, including many chunks I have estimated as weighing 40-100 lb this winter, which can dislodge dramatically once direct sunlight warms the trees. They are not however required, depending upon your comfort level hiking on shallow variable snow, potentially mixed with slushy and icy patches. Seven Pines Trail has not been traveled since last weeks storm, at least not in its uppermost section, and there is no track to follow through the snow. Temperatures are expected to remain below average for January for the remainder of the month in Strawberry Valley (Idyllwild area), but are forecast to swing well above average (above freezing) for the highest elevations on 21st-26th January. For those that are unclear, the Skyline Trail is the first segment of the C2C (Cactus to clouds) from Palm Springs up to Grubbs Notch (Long Valley). Snowshoes are no longer required anywhere on the established trail system, where snow is now too shallow, icy and compacted. Although good tracks are now in place for most major trails (details below), cautious navigation is recommended everywhere. From near Miller Peak, I did not continue to break trail on the Peak Trail, but instead turned up the East Ridge, breaking a track roughly along the route of the old East Ridge Trail. Spitler Peak Trail has a very visible boot track through light snow in its upper switchbacks to the PCT. A major change to the weather might occur next week (see Weather section below) with forecasts suggesting a possible double storm system impacting the San Jacinto mountains, and cold temperatures at all mountain elevations for a week at least. San Jacinto Peak (10810 ft): storm total 12 inches (total depth 17-20 inches), Wellman Divide (9700 ft): 8 inches (total 9 inches), Annies Junction/approx. San . Spikes are recommended, at least for descending. Hiking Trails. All trails above about 5500 ft are currently lightly (or above 8500 ft, moderately) snow-covered. ( Below is an excellent videograb of an avalanche in the Snow Creek drainage on the north face of San Jacinto Peak that was witnessed by friend of the Trail Report Catherine Peterson yesterday morning at about 0840. Perfect weather, great trail conditions. There are several campgrounds in and around the area and at several of the trailheads. Drive northeast for about 14 miles to the intersection with Valley of the Falls Road. A very mild system with rain to 9000 ft elevation (and consequently very icy conditions), and one inch of fresh snow above about 9000 ft elevation, increasing to 1.5 inch above 10,000 ft. That said, the going was extremely easy as the rain layer on top of the snow remaining for earlier storms had completely frozen, so I was only having to break trail through an inch or two of fine powder. There is evidence of a relatively well-traveled track south from Saddle Junction on the PCT, but as of the morning of Saturday 17th this track did not make it through to Chinquapin Flat. Black Mountain Road also closed on 7th November to vehicle traffic at the gate 1.7 miles up from Highway 243. Thankfully it was relatively straightforward in crampons as the underlying snow was very solid due to freeze/thaw cycles, and the overlying powder was generally shallow. Details of snow depths measured at various locations on the trail system are given at the foot of this posting. Darren Goodman of the sheriff's search-and-rescue team. He has just reported storm snow totals of 5-6 inches at Wellman Divide (9700 ft) and four inches in both Round and Long valleys from his descending hike. Their arrival followed a period of several days of temperatures well above seasonal the previous week which had produced some significant melting. The best times to visit this trail are May through November. The San Gorgonio Mountain maintains the longest recorded line of sight in the contiguous United States it is plainly visible from the summit of Mount Whitney, 190 miles away. Donate via PayPal using the link below. See more of the Johns Meadow Trail clearing on volunteer John Flippins website, High Lake Photography. UPDATE Tuesday 3rd January 2023: Following another minor overnight snow storm our fourth in the past week Anabel and I briskly broke trail up Devils Slide to Saddle Junction early this morning. This was immediately followed by a milder storm on 22nd-23rd that brought heavy snowfall with 13 inches in Idyllwild across a 30 hour period (measured at 5550 ft), and about 18 inches in Long Valley (8600 ft). The latter includes interpreting the snow/ice conditions, understanding your physical and mental abilities, and conservative decision making. Above Little Round Valley in particular my track down from the Peak is very direct, steep, and would be a challenging ascent. Elevation Gain: 5,449 feet. There are two new treefall hazards to pass on the upper trail. Of course, this February was notable in that roughly 80% of the total fell all in the last week of the month, with no respite for significant melting. Go Hiking Trip Reports San Gorgonio Wilderness-California. Note: When there is sufficient snow coverage, the winter route is MUCH preferred and typically much safer. Secure .gov websites use HTTPS A lock (909) 382-2682 (Voice) This latest storm was again very mild, as expected from an atmospheric river system pulling moisture in from warmer latitudes. All trails above about 5000 ft are currently lightly (or above 8000 ft, moderately) snow-covered. Camping Shade Solitude Views / Vista. From Laws east to Caramba the route of the original Caramba Trail has been well-cairned by myself and others and can largely be followed with very careful route-finding. * -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Times staff writer Dave McKibben contributed to this report. A light snowfall on the evening of Tuesday 21st will be accompanied by very strong winds, and is expected to largely or completely eliminate all tracks above about 7000 ft. These icy slopes are notoriously treacherous. Thank you so much for your support. SNOW DEPTHS measured on 2nd-5th December 2022 are as follows, with depths after the only significant storm of this winter to date (on 9th November) for comparison in parentheses where known. It leaves the Willow Creek Trail exactly 1.0 mile from Saddle Junction (0.46 mile from the Skunk Cabbage turning), descending largely on established deer trails for 1.2 miles, meeting Willow Creek just upstream from the old Laws Camp. Deer Springs Trail is clear from the Highway 243 trailhead to the Suicide Rock trail junction at 7000 ft, and functionally clear from there to Strawberry Junction (8100 ft), with a few icy snow patches increasing in length and frequency as you ascend. The holiday weekend had temperatures far above seasonal until Tuesday 27th. Altitudes are approximate. While the snow quantities are forecast to be 1-2 inches at most, they may be much colder systems than have been typical so far this winter, with freeze levels below 5000 ft. The first number is the current total snow depth, followed in parentheses by the greatest depth of the winter to date following the latest storm on 11th-12th December. There may be patches, but nothing you can't get around or easily through without special gear. Skyline Trail is now largely clear, but has very limited patchy, thin, icy snow above about 7200 ft (the Traverse to Grubbs Notch). Melting and freeze/thaw cycles will combine to change trail conditions and potentially the preferred equipment for the terrain for the remainder of February.