I can just be. Thats why its one of my favorites.Alxis: Do you have any particular memories from going to punk shows that stick out? One attended college on a cheerleading scholarship. Im dropping out of college. [laughs] I already was, but its fun to say it that way. In comparison to the security guard, I was this little sixteen year old. Jessica Gelt is an arts and culture writer for the Los Angeles Times. The joke is you hitting a note and the sound that the note gives is the laughter. It makes you want to learn. Posted by. A diehard punk rocker and former award-winning competitive cheerleader, Shapel found ways to express himself and own his individuality at an early age. It was the first time I was real with myself and real with the audience. Youre actually really talented. Then I heard his spoken word. Therefore, Shapel celebrates his birthday every January 24. A lot of it is about me and my life and just my weird takes on things. What is this? It was rock and I just kept getting into it. A diehard punk rocker and former award winning competitive cheerleader, Shapel found ways to express himself and own his individuality at an early age. A lot of it is about me and my life and just my weird takes on things. Shapel Lacey More Info. It was all in my control and I liked that.At the end of 2012 I moved to Orange County to continue doing standup. Shapel: It was the Rollins era, when Rollins first joined. Saturday Night Live cast member Chris Redd is not so sure about the tiny room in which hes performing stand-up comedy. Joel Jimenez plays drums, Chris Dillon plays guitar, Ryan Clark plays bass, and I did the singing. Terms of Use Shapel Lacey. The inspiration just constantly rolls. I didnt think Id ever do it again. As a podcast host, Lacey has explored his love for dialogue, jokes and music by interviewing artists such as, His comedy routines burst into the spotlight in 2019, with promises of 2020 being a breakout year for the already well-loved comic. Goes Out newsletter, with the week's best events, to help you explore and experience our city. So [its] one thing I know will always be there for me. I went up that night and was like, Fuck yeah!Alxis: Was the set different subject matter? I was pretty starstruck over that. prior to the pandemic, he was also performing shows every night. I already knew Jason and he told Brent, You should put up Shapel. Im doing fine without it. Laceys personal and honest approach to comedy disarms audiences, inciting laughter while simultaneously planting the seed for us to think more deeply about how we define ourselves and the assumptions we make about each other. Shapel Lacey Family He is a native of Meza, AZ, in the USA. From $23.00 to $33.00. Tickets you can trust: 100 million sold,100% Buyer Guarantee. I've been able to perform with him. Shapel Lacey floor seats (or orchestra seats) can provide a once-in-a-lifetime experience. As far as bands, I consider Green Day punk. And I learned that also from punk. Shapel was raised along with his big brother Damen who passed on in August 2013. And then I was like, I dont know what to think. I kept saying that, and John said, Dont think about it. Guest Post: Scenes From The Underground. And I was just fascinated by these dudes because it was awesome to see someone in Arizona [and] being that close to them and seeing them really doing something. What do I have to lose? This guy is funny. When I saw Brent he said, Youre going up tonight. I dont know; there was just something about the way he said it. Whats important is what it means to you more so than what it means to anyone else. Therefore, he worked in Arizona for a while before moving to California where he did open mics. I thought, How does he know all this stuff? and realized, Oh, hes constantly learning, trying to understand. Im not one of those people who need to know everything, like on social media [laughs] those people are trying to share everything. We got an error. Shapel Lacey's Bio BIO: Shapel Lacey is a Los Angeles based comedian born and raised in Mesa, Arizona. To learn more, please visit gamesensema.com. Lacey candidly shares his worldview as a graduate of anger management, coping with the loss of family members, balancing strained relationships and more. With that, you just start to find out what really matters to you, important things in your life at that moment or [things] you could take with you to help you through such a tragic situation. The Peer Pleasure Podcast. He shook my hand, and I was like, "Uh, I'm a comedian. With punk rock you hear these things like Stand Up and Be Counted, things that give you that individuality. shapel lacey girlfriend. For many of us, punk goes beyond music to encompass a state of mind. Next. It's because he's just curious. Thats the reward. DC all the way. Before that, I was saying the stupidest shit. Twenty years from now, people will say, Oh, I saw them in a yoga studio at Dont Tell Comedy, says Dont Tell founder Kyle Kazanjian-Amory. I liked the episodes before him and guest appearance episodes but just feel the shows been better in episodes with him in the culture corner. Its just something I came up with. Thank you, Dave." Brent and Jason are great guys. They see that, and they go, Man, I see what youre doing. Chris Redd, a cast member on Saturday Night Live, does a set during Dont Tell Comedy, a secret comedy show at Tree4ort recording studio in Hollywood. Sign up for the Ontario Improv newsletter to receive show announcements, presale codes and special offers! Shapel Lacey. Shapel Lacey is an American podcaster, comedian, and actor. I just bring people into my world. I think thats why Im stuck with it. It was all me. Following his start in comedy, he ceased doing stand-up for two years since he was depressed. Some performances by Shapel Lacey are available at other venues. Please call before attending any community events to make sure they aren't postponed or canceled as a result of the coronavirus. Id been doing it back home in Arizona for quite some time. Tom Sizemore, Saving Private Ryan actor, dies after brain aneurysm, Daisy Jones & the Six becomes the first fictional band to hit No. A lot of its about me. Furthermore, he is well known for casting in The Fighter and the Kid (2015) and Marquette Jefferson: Poker Face (2019). He received a high school diploma from a school in Mesa, Arizona. What I took from punk was that we all come together and like this music and have a fun time, but at the end of the day you are your own person. The thing about those books thats like punk to me is they really cut out all the bullshit. Shapel Lacey's Bio. He was so good at explaining his point of view because he had already prepared for the rebuttal, all the ways people were going to come at him. Alxis: Since punk means so many different things to different people and includes a wide umbrella of bands from Black Flag to Crass, can you tell us more about how you define punk?Shapel: Its being authentic to who you are. When I moved to L.A. from Arizona to pursue this, I said, Just be good onstage and good to people. Buying tickets to see a Shapel Lacey concert is easy, fast, and secure at . I give a lot of thanks to them for that. Impact June 1, 2020. You have to think for yourself. It was like the music was screaming it for me. You can read the interview with comedian Shapel Lacey in Issue 395 featuring cover star Willow Smith, available for purchase here. You will be unsubscribed from our SMS text messaging service immediately. Often, floor seats/front row seats can be some of the most expensive tickets at a show. ! I said, Dont worry, they broke things down to where it made sense. www.donttellcomedy.com#ShapelLacey#LiveComedy#StandUp------------------------------------------------------------------------ Follow us on Instagram, TikTok, and Facebook for more stand-up clips!https://www.instagram.com/donttellcomedyhttps://www.tiktok.com/@donttellcomedyhttps://www.facebook.com/donttellcomedy------------------------------------------------------------------------ Shapel Lacey is a hilarious Los Angeles based comedian that headlines clubs all over the US.Follow Shapel on Instagram to find out where hes performing next:https://www.instagram.com/shapellaceyYou can also check out his podcast and his tour dates at https://www.shapellacey.com/------------------------------------------------------------------------ Credits:Written and Performed by Shapel LaceyExecutive Producers: Kyle Kazanjian-Amory and Brett KushnerDirected By: Gordie Earle III and Brad SilnutzerDirector of Photography: Mark I. DavisGaffer and Cam Operator: Nathan Andres-HughesCam Operators:Gordie Earle IIIMark I. DavisKyle Kazanjian-AmoryEditor: Gordie Earle IIIColor Correction: Mark DavisSound Recording: Michael CrumleySound Mix: Ryan MeadowsProducers: Brad Silnutzer and Cole GarrettProduction Coordinator: Megan HunterLive Event Producers: Jeff Kane, Isaac Chapin, and Rachel BershadSpecial Thanks: Our gracious hosts, Thymele Arts CenterCode: R4VAMR8GBH4XC3FI ' CUSTOMER SUPPORT: support@justmer.ch Just Merch 2323 E. Magnolia, Suite 118 Phoenix, AZ 85034 Shapel was cheerleading competitively for University of Louisville when someone dared him to take the stage as a comedian and he never looked back, dropping out shortly thereafter to pursue a career in stand up full-time. Dont Tell hosted its first festival in June in Boston. Subscribe to Don't Tell Comedy to find your next favorite comedian:http://bit.ly/dtcyoutubeThe Speakeasy Series is Don't Tell Comedy's 5th independent YouTub. Im a web dev. Part of the goal is introducing comedy lovers to the stars of tomorrow. Whats the matter, you need a little water? I've seen him do spoken word. Find and buy Shapel Lacey tickets at the Punch Line Philly in Philadelphia, PA for Apr 07, 2023 at Live Nation. People see that, especially people that are in a place where they can help you out. The man, Chris Nicholas, inches closer to his girlfriend, blushing. If I like something its because I like it and if people fall in with it, then they fall in with it, but if not, [shrugs] oh-well. And I learned that also from punk. Onstage and behind podcast mics, he never shies away from sharing his love of Oasis, Rancid and. That was the sound that I heard at home. Furthermore, he has unique life experiences such as being adopted into a Caucasian family at the age of 15 years old. Please enter an email address and full name. Obviously, youre depressed, youre sad and youre trying to figure out how to deal with this new event in your life and how to continue to live. People were asking me around town to do shows but I just said no to everybody.Then in 2016 Brent Morin and Jason Collings (The Lions Den podcast) were coming to the local comedy club back home in Tempe, Ariz. Menu. It'd be fun to build some dumb "Whack-A-Schaub" game or something. A man of many talents and a comic with even more stories to share, Lacey revealed his connections to the alternative world, how music and comedy arent that different and how curiosity is essential when it comes to creativity. Our focus is making comedy more accessible, more affordable and more exciting, says Kazanjian-Amory. Doing comedy, Ill post a song to my story and people say, WTF? Perhaps youve caught him on Theo Von and Brendan Schaubs King And The Sting podcast or even his own podcast, Its Managed. I was like, Damn, I want to be that. A diehard punk rocker and former award-winning competitive cheerleader, Shapel found ways to express himself and own his individuality at an early age. On this particular night, the wait list has 30 people. Thats when I knew punk was this real thing. Hes securing show dates and hoping to launch his own TV show and record an album. Shapel-Lacey 126 points 127 points 128 points 11 days ago . Message and Data Rates May Apply. He and Weber hosted their first show in a friends backyard, just to see if it would work. Oct 5 2021 1 hr 17 mins. When I met Henry Rollins. However, he dropped out of college to pursue a career in comedy after his friends dared him to do it. Additionally, Vivid Seats was named No. He pulled me on stage and Im singing over his shoulder. Shapels net worth is $2 million. Happy Earth Day! And then he's like, "Are you going up tonight?" They were on tour with Good Charlotte at the time. Shapel was cheerleading competitively for University of Louisville when someone dared him . BIO: Shapel Lacey is a Los Angeles based comedian born and raised in Mesa, Arizona. Most of my DMs are people wanting to talk about music and so many of my fans ask me questions about music.Alxis: Ive heard you discuss facing stereotypes and insults due to being a Black man who likes punk and rock music. Shapel Lacey performs during Don't Tell Comedy at Tree4ort recording studio in Hollywood. Can you tell me more about that project and what brought it about?Shapel: We have always talked about punk together. When Im in L.A. doing sets Im building to go put it out there, and touring is putting the product out there. There are those punks who try and say, No, this is what punk is, but you cant tell people what it is and what it isnt because its about what it is for you and it may not be the same thing. You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times. I was like, Did this festival do that on purpose? [laughs]Alxis: Did you tell him you were a fan or discuss music?Shapel: I went through anger management, like quite a few times. Shapel Lacey is a Los Angeles based comedian born and raised in Mesa, Arizona. I just bring people into my world. I dont know how that wouldnt click with anyone, [laughs] but I know not everyone is going to learn it the same way.Alxis: I noticed you are not on Twitter, which is pretty unusual for a comedian today.Shapel: Fuck no. Diligence and the desire to grow led Shapel from the Phoenix open mic circuit onto main stages, where he regularly performed for comedians such as Bill Burr, Hannibal Buress, and Brendan Schaub, and is now headlining clubs across the country. Thats the thing about ityou can do it anyway you want to as long as youre being authentic to yourself. Shapel Lacey Tour Dates and Ticket Prices. He is a native of Meza, AZ, in the USA. I want that. For me metal music was, This is what you are going through. But punk was, Heres what youre going through and heres what youre going to do about it. Granted, I was super aggressive. They want to know the way you think. I dont even pay attention to that stuff at this point. How it works: Fans sign up via an email list. The people there just really want the comedy. I was watching a Ramones documentary, and one of the people they were interviewing at the end said, Thats what punk isyou take something crazy, you take all these hectic things and turn it into something great.. [laughs] Shapel: Yeah! 100%. Kyle Kazanjian-Amory, founder, Dont Tell Comedy. Sizing: All sizes are unisex sizing. Chris DElia Comedian, Bio, Wiki, Age, Height, Salary, and Net Worth, Blake de Pastino Complexly, Bio, Wiki, Age, Height, Family, Wife, YouTube, Salary, and Net Worth, Copyright 2023 | WordPress Theme by MH Themes, List of States in the US, Alphabetical list of States in the U.S., and Abbreviation of States in United States. To really stand out you have to have these layers to you. I said Fuck yeah. Hes made me understand the importance of the world of learning. A diehard punk rocker and former award-winning competitive cheerleader, Shapel found ways to express himself and own his individuality at an early age. Let me help you out with this. And thats what you want. Hes a skater, a punk, a comedian, and a former competitive cheerleader. Privacy Policy For a comedian, the crowd is the instrument. He's always staying curious. Lets learn another and I flourished with it.Then one of my buddies from guitar class said he was starting a ska band and asked if I wanted to be in it with him. Dont Tell is also big on giving back to the audience. We'll help get you there, and give you peace of mind. Buy tickets online and you dont find out where youre going until noon the day of the show. .] This man is one of the funniest comedians I have ever seen and an amazing podcaster. Onstage and behind podcast mics, he never shies away from sharing his love of Oasis, Rancid and beyond, knowing full well that acts such as these inform his whole life and art form. ticketmaster.evyy.net. Hes a little fragile boy, a little fragile thing, he says to a man in the front row with whom hes relentlessly flirting as part of his flamboyantly gay act. Shed be cleaning up over the weekend and playing music and it was cool to see her happy in that way.So I just got into music at an early age. One spent time as a guitarist in a punk rock band prior to becoming a professional comic. Obviously, youre depressed, youre sad and youre trying to figure out how to deal with this new event in your life and how to continue to live. I was like, "Yeah." I feel like Ive been doing fine the whole time, you know what I mean? Initially Id listen to the things my mom liked, which was mainly R&B and funk. Moreover, his comedy style is based on his life and his world where he tries to bring people into it. Every day it was, Rise above, rise above! It just put me on another level of thinking. As long as Im doing and working hard at it, that other shit will come. [laughs] And I just saw how wild he was. In some ways, the momentum stopped, but in other ways, his creativity flourished. Then when quarantine was just rolling and everything was shut down, we got bored and decided to do some covers, film it, and throw it out there (video by 4933 Productions). One popular current comic grew up as one of the few black teens in a poor white neighborhood in Arizona. A diehard punk rocker and former award winning competitive cheerleader, Shapel found ways to express himself and own his individuality at an early age. Shapel was raised along with his big brother Damen who passed on in August 2013. Therefore, the public is left to speculate whether he is single, married, or engaged. SKYROCKETING RENTS: Dance studios are the latest pushed out of L.A. . What he did for you was make it so lighthearted that when he shocked you, you still listened. With 2021 revealing the light at the end of the tunnel for entertainers, Lacey has many plans in store. I didnt want to do anything funny. In what I saw, the whole aura, I was like, "Man, I like this dude." Shapel Lacey Thursday, Apr 6, 2023 at 8:00 p.m. Punch Line Philly 33 E. Laurel Street Philadelphia, PA 19123 From $20.00 to $30.00 ticketmaster.evyy.net Please call before attending any community events to make sure they aren't postponed or canceled as a result of the coronavirus. I just wanted to play. Once you have cancelled, you will not receive any additional messages unless you re-register. Ive been able to create a merch line that was really cool. I got in and caught on pretty quick because all I did was listen to music. The location might be a rooftop, a warehouse, a rock-climbing gym or a river boat. Then I switched the station and I heard the song Mississippi Queen by Mountain and I thought, Oh shit! When I saw my first Black Flag video, when it was his first year of Black Flag and the power in his performance. Shapel was cheerleading competitively for University of Louisville when someone dared him to take the stage as a comedian . Apart from hosting Shapels World, he is also the host of the Its happening podcast. I remember we were at the Comedy Store, and he walks in, just walking in my direction. Roasting audience members, a common tactic of comics transitioning from bit to bit, is indeed more challenging when the guy you just insulted can stand up and punch you in the face. He has been working as a comedian, podcaster, and entrepreneur for at least a decade. Find and buy Shapel Lacey tickets at the Punch Line Philly in Philadelphia, PA for Apr 07, 2023 at Live Nation. Thats why I say punk is my blood because I think that was always in me. His comedy routines burst into the spotlight in 2019, with promises of 2020 being a breakout year for the already well-loved comic. Shapel Lacey is a Los Angeles based comedian born and raised in Mesa, Arizona. Alxis: Do you feel like you carry your philosophy about punk into your comedy?Shapel: Oh, yeah. As a podcast host, Lacey has explored his love for dialogue, jokes and music by interviewing artists such as Arctic Monkeys Matt Helders, H2O's Toby Morse, the Ghost Inside's Andrew Tkaczyk and more. Dave Chappelle. impact Chelsea Dunstall April 22, 2020. The only time I ever saw my mom happy was when she was listening to music. Subverting expectations both as a person and a comedian Lacey refuses to fit the mold of what others anticipate. Shapel Lacey, an L.A. by way of Arizona stand-up comedian, is a true-to-form alternative fan. I think I just found ways to keep my sanity other than thinking about the thing thats going on because, like I said, thats not in my control. You should come check him out at this battle of the bands. And then I was just so fascinated and stuck by Garretts side and stayed friends with him ever since. For example, my favorite Patrice ONeal, he would say some of the wildest shit but you listened because what he was saying was super interesting. With that, you just start to find out what really matters to you, important things in your life at that moment or [things] you could take with you to help you through such a tragic situation. The incredible Shapel Lacey joins me today for a fantastic chat that covers so many great subjects. I also did a festival (2019 Sonic Temple Music Festival) where I was on the lineup with Henry Rollins. 273: Shapel Lacey (pt.2) on The Steebee Weebee Show. The vibe is so different from an actual comedy show., THE CAYTON: Kids review the new childrens museum in Santa Monica . And he was like, "What's up, man?" Love the whole show and the comedians that presented their work. I cant stand Twitter.Alxis: I think thats punk rock to be in your industry and not be on Twitter.Shapel: Yeah, it feels great and I dare someone to say be on it [laughs] because I dont have to do shit. Whats important is what it means to you more so than what it means to anyone else. Any time I've ever heard him speak, he's always come back with just so many new things to talk about. The crowd was huge, it was crazy. [laughs] What it came down to was my brother doesnt get to do the things that he wanted to do. So I just wanted to do. Once I simplified it to that, it took away all the pressure of it being something and all the sudden you are just doing. Even when I moved to Los Angeles, I told myself, Dont worry about making it. Here, everyone is trying to do this big thing or act this way because they think it will get them something. Learn More. Philadelphia, PA 19123. I just needed to find it.Alxis: At that time was there a particular punk song that was an anthem for you?Shapel: Yeah. Subscribe. Friday, Apr 7, 2023 at 7:30 p.m. Punch Line Philly. They knew if they threw it at me, Id think about it.Alxis: Music is a frequent topic of discussion on your podcast Its Managed and in your standup. BIO: Shapel Lacey is a Los Angeles based comedian born and raised in Mesa, Arizona. [It] makes you want to continue to discover because I feel like when you do that, youll always have something to talk about. 1 on iTunes Charts, Desperate mountain residents trapped by snow beg for help; We are coming, sheriff says, Newsom, IRS give Californians until October to file tax returns, 15 arrested across L.A. County in crackdown on fraudulent benefit cards, David Lindley, guitarist best known for work with Jackson Browne, dies at 78, Disneys Peter Pan & Wendy trailer criticized for depictions of Hook and Tinker Bell, 36 songs, no apologies: Morgan Wallen delivers more (much more) of what made him countrys king, Joy Behar kicks off Joys Banned Book Club with gay-penguin tale And Tango Makes Three, Paramount to pay $122.5 million to settle lawsuit over CBS deal, Jussie Smollett finally appeals his conviction stemming from 2019 hate-crime hoax, Hidden, illegal casinos are booming in L.A., with organized crime reaping big profits, Look up: The 32 most spectacular ceilings in Los Angeles. From 2013-2015, I did a total of four sets. Alxis: So when did you start focusing on comedy and stand-up?Shapel: In 2010 I was in college living in Louisville, Ky. and essentially someone dared me to do it. If you pay attention, its very punk who he is. Wise words from John OCallaghan. Currently, cheap Shapel Lacey tickets at Vivid Seats start at $27, with an average price of $50. A diehard punk rocker and former award-winning competitive cheerleader, Shapel found ways to express himself and own his individuality at an early age. What can they say to that? When he passed, I didnt want to make people laugh. This real shit. Fuck that. Therefore, Shapel has been able to accumulate a decent fortune over the years. Also consider non-weekend shows, as well as post-holiday performances. And so I stopped for basically two years, [and I] got back onstage in 2016. The secret nature of the shows, the anticipation of who might show up, the unfamiliar environments and the party atmosphere that BYOB tends to launch lend an air of unpredictability to the proceedings. A lot of people do get help along the way, but DIY is what sets your foundation. Shapel Lacey is an American comedian born and raised in Mesa, Arizona. We got an error. [laughs] There are times people will say, Youre so white, and they literally know nothing about me.