Wear rubber gloves and hold the rubber plug and spark plug about 1-2cm from the metal surface of the engine unit. The compression limit should also be doubled if the engine capacity is 100 CC. We got rid of both of those useless things . If oil is in there it is what makes the engine feel like it is almost locked up. My /Sthil 034 is very difficult to start. Pull trigger and set full choke. Find the low speed, high speed, and idle speed screws near the carburetor, start the engine and allow it to warm up. Little two stroke motors as on chainsaws have to have a lot of compression to make the needed power. Several reasons can cause your Stihl chainsaw to bog down when your pull the trigger. If you could start an engine with the choke closed and not turn off the choke on time, you will end up flooding the engine with too much gas. If the air filter is too clogged, you should replace it. It has barley been used, no carbon in muffler, still happens with muffler off, does not happen with sparkplug out. Is the spark plug the correct one for the saw? You never try to get it to run with the choke on. Thus far, you have learned how to diagnose most problems with the Stihl chainsaw and how to fix the issues. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. If the rails are shallow, you need to replace them. I would suspect the timing is too early. Carbon build-up in cylinder & piston, bad needle bearing, overused starter spring, oil in the starter system, old or bad fuel, etc can cause too much compression in Chainsaws. The plug should be tight against your thumb. If the chainsaw is too much compression, it may be difficult to start. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. That is what was told to me by the area distributor technician Check for side play in the crankshaft. I would never put water in it! The Stihl 066 chainsaw uses the same type of engine most gasoline-powered yard tools use, a two-cycle combustion engine. Once it's removed, you can place a gauge on the place of the spark plug. Check for clogged shafts and jets, clogged carburetor, damaged valves, stuck levers, and damaged or warped diaphragms, all of which can interfere with the fueling process. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V. My chainsaw has gotten very hard to pull the rope. Don't know what to do at this point. Are you sure the starter rope isn't a little too short? In other words, the problem is in the trigger itself, not a. carb adjustment screw. You are misunderstanding WHY water is put into carboned up engines. It will be apparent if it is, but usually a scored saw won't run good, if at all. The Housing is the outer cover of the starter, and if it is damaged, your chainsaw suffers stiffness during a pull. Remove the spark plug with a spark plug wrench and clean it with a brush to remove carbon scoring and dirt. Have had it into dealer and nothing wrong with it and dealer said that from time to time they see saws come in with nothing wrong with them but have increased compression. Locate the tension adjustment screws to the side of the chainsaw guide bar. "text": "My chainsaw has gotten very hard to pull the rope. For 503552201 Cylinder Compression Plug Package Include: 3 x Cylinder Plug Cylinder Compression Plug The saw runs and starts great. All it needs is a few inches missing and it will pull too hard like the compression is too high. Check for clogging around the bar oil. water will not dissolve carbon; it is far too hard to be effected. Turn the idle speed clockwise until the saw idles and chain turns, and then make a one-fourth counterclockwise turn. Therefore, most people will wonder why the chainsaw has too much compression. This article will help you fix the most commonly reported problems of a Stihl chainsaw. Free shipping. Turn the engine to get under the piston and blow the crankcase out. To ensure that enough air reaches the chain saw's engine, remove the air filter and clean or replace it, depending on the manufacturer's instructions. If it has damaged parts, replace it with a carburetor kit that fits your chainsaw model. There is no idle when I release the trigger. You can check the compression by pulling the spark plug out and holding it in your hand. Replace the spark plug with a new identical. Some of the contributing reasons include a full tank of oil, carbon buildup on the exhaust system, and malfunctioning spark plugs. of compression. If that doesnt work, try gently tapping on the side of the bulb with a screwdriver or other tool. The engine must be up to operating temperature, spray a light stream of water into the engine carb air inlet and the cold water shocks the hot carbon and the carbon flakes off and blows out the exhaust pipe. ProTip: You can use a small air compressor to blow air through the air filter and get rid of the loose dust before proceeding to clean it further. If you see any unusual movement of spring, then take it in to replace it. I hope my epic guides will help you to choose,buy and maintain chainsaw. Once you identify the cause of high compression, you can repair that affected part or find a new replacement for it to make it work smoothly. High compression in chainsaws is a dangerous problem that can lead to serious injuries. There are sprays (power tune) for removing carbon, but I doubt if that's your problem. Over time, soot from the engine clogs up the spark arrestor causing the chainsaw to stall. I think that's what happened, although I didn't think such a small amount could do it. Cleaned it all up, and had it tuned up. Check the spark plug of the chain saw if the engine is not starting at all. My one and only MS250 was a kicker to start it but that was the only problem. I can probably find one with at most 65 PSI. No carbon on top or on roof of cylinder. Every chainsaw requires a different compression level according to its built-up and model number. If you still want to try and get carbon out of the saw either take it apart and clean it or use something along the lines of sea foam. A clear sign that you may have a chainsaw engine is when you smell gas while starting it. When the oil pimp or oiler is faulty, it will reduce the chainsaws performance and power. Get it ported and it brings it to another level. Whether you are a beginner or a professional woodworker, knowing how to fix your chainsaw will save you time and money seeking help from a service center. Blup throttle to bring it down to idle. No it wouldn't go straight to crankcase because you would spray a light mist through air intake with hot engine and let it run for a while after doing it.You might want to do it with screen removed from muffler. Required fields are marked *. When the fuel starts to turn stale, it gums up and clogs the carburetor just as it would in an unused lawnmower. The purpose of a choke in a chainsaw is to make cold starting more effortless, but if you do not use it properly. You will notice the compression less. Maybe take the plug out & pull the cord several times to blow out any excess fuel, then see how it pulls. This can lead to serious injuries, including cuts and amputations. How Many Amps Does a Garage Door Opener Use? It is like there is too much compression. If it does maybe it is plugged. Make sure it fits snug. Turn the engine to get under the piston and blow the crankcase out. 4 Possible Problems & Solutions Problem 1: Damaged starter housing Solution: 1. That is the nature of a 250. I used to have a Homelite that would do that if I left gas in it. $75.00. Fine adjust everything and both saws start Normal now. Take off the side cover, bar and chain and see if there is any play in the clutch side of the crank. It had a compression release, and it started and ran well. Stihl 251 chainsaw. When this comes to a stop, it will come to a complete stop at a certain number, which is the compression of your chainsaw blade. I have plenty of engines with REALLY low compression that I'll be glad to swap him. Could be the main bearings are loose, look for evidence of the coil rubbing the flywheel. A lot of variables might contribute to excessive compression while using a chainsaw. This could be understood by reading the further explanation below. } An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Most times, when the Stihl chainsaw stops working, it is never a complete breakdown. When people did it years ago it was with 4 stroke engines where the water is flowing straight into the cylinder. Not sure it would accomplish anything on a 2-stroke chain saw engine. { Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. Ok folks, I'm stumped. I think that's what I'd do. Generally the minimum is 110 lbs. First thing I'd check is the pull start assy. No it wouldn't go straight to crankcase because you would spray a light mist through air intake with hot engine and let it run for a while after doing it.You might want to do it with screen removed from muffler. Stihl MS192T Chainsaw Fuel Oil Tank Engine Housing Assembly OEM. JavaScript is disabled. Insert the air filter and the spark plug, reconnect the spark plug wire, and close the opening. Sounds like it was broken in "right", show the guy how to start it and tell him to be happy. I hook up a drill to the nut on the clutch and start hard starting saws that way . The excess gas can be cleared simply by removing the plug and operating the starter a few times. Guido Hello EGBinOR, If A two cycle engine gets flooded BADLY, oil can separate from the gas mix, accumulate in the crankcase and creates an hydrostatc lock. A two-stroke gas-powered chainsaw uses relatively few moving parts. The piston and rings are very shiney. It is typical for the Stihl chainsaw to develop some issues, and when this happens, some basic troubleshooting will help identify the source of the issue and solution to help it run smoothly. Follow the steps below on how to fix a flooded chainsaw engine. As the starter, spring plays a vital role in running starter assembly smoothly. Use a screw wrench to loosen the nuts on the guide bar side panel to give you room to adjust the chain. If the reading is below or above the required range, then your ignition coil requires changing. $20.00 shipping. I hope you understand the problems why your chainsaw is hard to pull. I think you'll like it. So, replacing the ignition rope is a better option to keep everything working smoothly without any damage. I've done it to high hour Kohler engines many times. "url": "https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/graphics/smllogo.png", If you introduce an extremely fine trickle of water into a running engine through the carburettor that may remove some carbon . Cleaned air filters and both were very dirty. This Indoor Fly Traps: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Indoor Fly Traps. If not I'm honestly kinda stumped. The correct tension of the chainsaw chain should be slightly loose on the guide bar but tight enough that you cant pull the drive links out of the bar to fix the chain tension issues; follow the steps below. Once youve done that, reassemble the chainsaw, which should work properly again. Being in the cutting services for more than 10 years, I know a thing or two about chainsaw. Check the chain oiler and ensure it is functional. But the saw just has a rubber piece on the top shroud with a slotted nut that just fastens it to a stud on the cylinder head, where the valve should be. water will not dissolve carbon; it is far too hard to be effected. You're familiar with how to start a stihl yes? It takes a Bosch WSR6F or NGK BPMR7A. I hook up a drill to the nut on the clutch and start hard starting saws that way . Always change the spark plug after 100 operating hours of the chainsaw to avoid engine problems. It is harmful to your machine to use old fuel. To avoid flooding the chainsaw when cold starting, turn the control lever to half choke after the fourth pull and then turn the lever again to the open choke position immediately when the engine starts. Would have to remove spark plug and rinse cylinder with gas to be able to start. The spark plug is located in the engine and ignites the fuel and air mixture, driving the piston and running the engine. Start new topic; Recommended Posts. How Much Does it Cost to Install a Garage Door Opener? The engine must be up to operating temperature, spray a light stream of water into the engine carb air inlet and the cold water shocks the hot carbon and the carbon flakes off and blows out the exhaust pipe. "author": { "width": 200, Does the saw have a compression release? Versions MS 260, Bar length 37cm, RSC Check for broken teeth on the chain and replace them if necessary. Carboned rings will decrease not increase compression. after that I'd be looking at crank bearings. Make sure you have a replacement spark plug on hand in case the problem recurs in the future. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. water will not dissolve carbon; it is far too hard to be effected. Try blowing the crankcase out with air. It is significantly tougher to pull over than an 024 or the new 241. Check the tension 2. If it does maybe it is plugged. If you introduce an extremely fine trickle of water into a running engine through the carburettor that may remove some carbon . I bought it used around 1978. Are you sure the starter rope isn't a little too short? 1. saw has new carb 2. flywheel has been removed and key inspected. I bought 2 032 Stihl saws at auction that pulled very hard. Compression problems are usually due to an air leak in the engine, usually around the gaskets and seals of the crankshaft. That is what was told to me by the area distributor technician, Ivor from uk here and I have a stihl chainsaw and when I am hedge laying or pletching as it is called the saw only runs for 15 or 20 seconds or perhaps 1 minute at the most if there is a big cut to make the spark plug tip builds up with carbon,i use proper 2 stroke oil at a ratio of 25to1. Move the selector lever up one position immediately or the saw will flood on the very next pull. It can be from something as simple as starting the chainsaw wrongly to more severe issues like a damaged carburetor. A very loose chain will cause the blades to come out of the bar, while a very tight chain is also not ideal for the proper functioning of the chainsaw. Final step: removing the old spark plug and installing the new one. When starting, slowly pull the rope to where it pulls hard before starting your actual starting pull. No it wouldn't go straight to crankcase because you would spray a light mist through air intake with hot engine and let it run for a while, (quoted from post at 00:57:42 08/18/17) My chainsaw has gotten very hard to pull the rope. Do that to the starter side when you're looking at the starter assy. "image": { As the guide bar wears down with use, the bar heel- the part of the bar nearest to the drive sprocket- also wears down, which increases the distance the chain travels as the bar grooves become less effective. Apparently gas would seep int crankcase and over several months of setting gas would evaporate leaving oil behind and first time it was pulled would suck oil into the cylinder. NelsGarage.com All Rights Reserved 2021 Theme: Prefer by, Stihl Chainsaw Troubleshooting & How-to Guide. water will not dissolve carbon; it is far too hard to be effected. Spark plugs that are not functioning properly are another probable cause of excessive compression. Convenient, durable and robust with minimum weight, the STIHL MS 260 can come with a number of optional features to make the job even easier. in the, All Rights Reserved. You have an option to either pull off the starter and clean it or look for an ideal replacement for your starter house. We have explained the most effective way to unflood a chainsaw engine below. An engine is fit on the rear side of a chainsaw. Also try removing the spark plug and see how pull starter works, just trying to see if it could be binding in the recoil/starter assy or not. A drastic and frankly silly thing to do though . Make sure there is oil in the engine. If any of these components are worn or broken, the chain saw wont start even with fuel. A drastic and frankly silly thing to do though . You can unclog the carburetor if the clog is minor. You can use a ratchet to do the task. The extra effort to pull the saw is probably due to carbon build up on the piston crown and combustion chamber. There is no carbon build up and all looks like new. I agree the saw runs great, but when your helping old men with ideas of their own its hard to say I wish I had 190 pounds of compression. No compression when pulling start rope. An excessive amount of compression in your chainsaws starting rope could also be indicated by the beginning rope failing to draw. What are the numbers on your sparkplug? Poke the oil feed hole with a 16-gauge wire to unclog it until it slides through the hole smoothly. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our. Oct 24, 2011 / Chainsaw excessive compression #1 . Yeah, I must have flooded it as I was working on it. As long as I can get it going.. Let saw run until its warmed up, and go cut wood. Your chainsaws compressive strength is measured with the use of a screw-in gauge. Didnt somehow get straight oil in the cylinder did you? I got it going. On a 2 stroke the water would go into the crank case first and pool up. I luv my 064. This increased distance will cause the chain to keep coming out of the guiding bar with the vibrating saw. Rinse the filter and allow it to air dry before reinstalling it. My first chain saw was an old Homelite EZ with a blue metal case and a 20" bar. Ivor from uk here and I have a stihl chainsaw and when I am hedge laying or pletching as it is called the saw only runs for 15 or 20 seconds or perhaps 1 minute at the most if there is a big cut to make the spark plug tip builds up with carbon,i use proper 2 stroke oil at a ratio of 25to1 does any pletching or hedge laying go on across the pond?? If you notice the treads are worn, which prevents the device from pumping, replace it with a new one. Move the selector lever up one position immediately or the saw will flood on the very next pull. STIHL MS 170 Chainsaw (NEW) full pack $295.00 $59.00 shipping Stihl MS170 Chainsaw Motor Fast Free Shipping $75.00 Free shipping or Best Offer Stihl 16 inch bar + Chain for MS170 - MS251 3/8 Pitch .043 Gauge 55 drivers $79.75 $25.45 shipping Only 3 left Stihl MS170 Chainsaw motor OEM Fast/Free Shipping $85.00 Free shipping or Best Offer Sometimes the spring stops working correctly due to overuse and becomes brittle. It runs good after I get it started. As a result, normal compression settings will change based on the kind of chainsaw machine you are using. Hope this helps. The excess gas can be cleared simply by removing the plug and operating the starter a few times. I just picked up a well used 025 that runs like a champ and has quite a bit of compression, I have not put a gauge on it but it will pull the starting handle out of my hands if I'm not paying attention. Keep in mind that the stuck ignition rope can also damaged other parts inside the starter assembly. As the chain moves over the bar, it spreads the oil across the moving parts to reduce friction and heat. I have a MS250 that has come up on compression since new. Pull trigger and set full choke. Over time or when using the wrong fuel, the fuel filter becomes too clogged and restricts fuel flow, killing the engine shortly after starting. . or Best Offer. However, you still have to confirm the size of the gap before installing. Take off the muffler or the carb to get access. Greenworks Commercial GS181 82V 18-inch Chainsaw: 50cc gas equivalent power with a stock 18-inch bar and chain ( starting at $349) I used to have a Homelite that would do that if I left gas in it. Any ideas? Try it, it may just do the trick! When you start your chainsaw, the crankshaft spins, creating vacuum pressure on the carburetor, pulling the gas from the tank and into the combustion chamber where it mixes with air and ignites. If it is over loading on fuel the carb may need rebuilt to stop the diaphragm from leaking fuel into the cylinder after the saw is shut off. Replace with a new starter house Problem 2: Damaged pulley system Solution: 1. 1 2 Next J Joe_Power Joined Apr 18, 2013 Messages 651 Location USA - Coast to Coast, Border to Border Jun 2, 2015 #1 I just replaced the cylinder and piston on a stihl 036. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. The chain clutch might be, Read More Cordless Chainsaw Wont StartContinue, The most common reason is simply the wrong battery. Maybe take the plug out & pull the cord several times to blow out any excess fuel, then see how it pulls. We and our partners use data for Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. in the. As stated it is with a hot engine so the water turns into steam in the cylinder and helps bust up the carbon. My name is Chris Ross. Cylinder Compression Plug Applicable Model For STIHL 021, 023, 024, 025, 026, 044, 046, 066, MS210, MS230, MS240, MS250, MS260, MS341, MS360, MS440, MS460, MS650, MS660 Chainsaw Parts Refer To Part No. It's possible the timing is off a little but without knowing the make and model of the saw that's just a long shot. Then, use a wire brush to remove all the carbon build-up from the cylinder and piston. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. }, or Best . Have had it into dealer and nothing wrong with it and dealer said that from time to time they see saws come in with nothing wrong with them but have increased compression. SPONSORED. Clean any mildly dirty parts and replace all the damaged parts. Take off the muffler or the carb to get access. I think that's what I'd do. People sometimes try to cut down a tree that is too big for their chainsaw. You will notice the compression less. Advanced arborist chainsaw with a top handle and STIHL M-Tronic technology. What usually happens is that the guide bar gets stuck in the tree and they keep running the engine while trying to force the bar out of the tree somehow. Also check the air filters and make sure they are clean. Ron Cook. Just wondering what your opinions are of the lowest compression you can run a Stihl MS250 at. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. When there is too much fuel, it will not ignite, and the engine wont start. The chainsaw motor engine capacity can range from 30CC and 50CC to 150 CC. Help, can't pull start Stihl MS250 chainsaw, too much compression. I bought an old beater 621 Jonsered once that had very high compression, got it running well and sold it, made some money on it! It may not display this or other websites correctly. Make sure it is snug but can also move freely by hand. I've done it to high hour Kohler engines many times. Remove the air filter cover and then slide off the rubber spark plug connector from the spark plug. "@type": "Organization", When you start the chainsaw, it triggers the worm drive to engage the oiler to send oil through a port that releases onto the bar. Manual for my Stihl saws and leaf blower says to scrape carbon out of the exhaust port. It's from not pulling hard enough. At this point, the battery will reset,, Read More How To Reset Echo 58-Volt Battery ChargerContinue, The chainsaw battery charger is constantly blinking red, even after charging for a long time!!! Replaced the chain and did some serious cutting and was so pleased. They're easy to use and inexpensive, so if you are considering buying one for your home, there are a few quick things you Consumers in the Home and Garden sector turn to us for answers to their nagging questions about various goods and services. Take off the muffler or the carb to get access. Unscrew the clutch assembly on top of the oil pump. Cleaned air filters and both were very dirty. Open the spark plug hole facing away from you, remove the wire from the spark plug and disconnect the spark plug using a spark plug wrench. Now, the gauge might come in a number of size variations, so you need to use an adapter to make a perfect seal between the gauge and the chainsaw. Why is the Garage Door Opener Light Not Working? Also take the spark plug out and do the same. A smaller gap will cause a weak spark and poor ignition of the engine, while a wider gap will not bring out any spark. Carboned rings will decrease not increase compression. Pour starting fluid into the carburetor and crank the engine several times. Apparently gas would seep int crankcase and over several months of setting gas would evaporate leaving oil behind and first time it was pulled would suck oil into the cylinder. A large engine has a huge capacity in its motor.