[131][132] Mayor:Richard Boss I believe I have allot to offer and running for Mayor willsimply give me greater opportunity to do what Ive been doing in terms of improving our city. Click here to review the Subdivision Ordinance Update! The race for Tularosa School Board Position 5 resulted inDavid Bartram losing his seat to Lindsay Ray Walker. Often the meetings would go on until midnight. John Block voted against job creation. Several Union-Apache battles were fought near Oliver Lee Memorial State Park. Check out more cities in New Mexico, here is a list of things to do in Carlsbad, things to do in Red River, and things to do in Cloudcroft for a fun time in this city. Its about the money, and this week in Otero County, New Mexico a jury will decide. Inaddition, I sit on the Otero County Economic Development Board and focus allot of time on Job andbusiness creation.". 14. Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2019: 19.7% (16.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 22.8% for Black residents, 21.4% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 34.4% for American Indian residents, 24.1% for other race . Angela Cadwallader managed re-election to the position 2 seat and Amber Ross won the position 5 seat. Mayor Boss leaves behind a legacy of professionalism, good stewardship, and growth, but we are fortunate to have Mayor-Elect Susan Payne stepping in to fill his undoubtedly large shoes.. Mai Shanley, who became Miss USA 1984, represented the city as Miss New Mexico USA. Award Winning NCAA Coach and 2 time Olympic Trials Athlete turned Author/Artist Rene Sepulveda was born in Alamogordo. I attended their latestmeeting and listened to their ideas and Im very excited to see their vision come to fruition.". New Mexico State University Alamogordo is a two-year community college established in 1958. [13]:136 It is a charter city (also called a home rule city[114] I really wanted to go to the last summerseries but unfortunately due to illness I missed that one. In 1977 in Albuquerque, they held the conference that resulted in the 1978 study of the Shroud with more scientists from New Mexico than any other state. Susan Payne Response: "Possibly, if my schedule permits.". I'm sure the NM State Police will send you a video of the notorious cowboy criminal being cuffed and perp-walked. Mailing Address: 1376 9th St Alamogordo, NM 88310-5855. . This could lead some military personnel to end up living in another community like Las Cruces and commuting to Holloman Air Force Base. The present-day White Sands Boulevard was then called Pennsylvania Avenue. Alamogordo (/ l m r d o /) is the seat of Otero County, New Mexico, United States.A city in the Tularosa Basin of the Chihuahuan Desert, it is bordered on the east by the Sacramento Mountains and to the west by Holloman Air Force Base.The population was 31,358 as of the 2020 census.Alamogordo is known for its connection with the 1945 Trinity test, which was the first . 5. White Sands National Park. Water drains from the mountains carrying dissolved gypsum and collects in Lake Lucero. Citizen involvement is the key to an accountable government. As a family owned and managed funeral home in Otero County, we can serve your needs and desires at a reasonable price. Attend community commission meetings and let your voices be heard. Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps. AlamogordoTownNews.comcongratulates and welcomes all our newly elected officials and we look forward to a productive and prosperous 2022 for the Alamogordo community. Alamogordo, NM 88310. After the water dries, the winds pick up the gypsum crystals and distribute them over the basin. Love In the Name of Christ, known as LoveINC, City of Alamogordo in need of workers, has 80 job openings, Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. Otero County, NM is Strongly conservative. The NMSU-A Theatre on the Hill produces an annual spring performance for young audiences at the Rohovec Fine Arts Center on the New Mexico State University at Alamogordo campus,[70][71] Susan Payne Response: "By participating Im going to guess you mean attended? Alamogordo (/lmrdo/) is the seat of Otero County, New Mexico, United States. [152] Public officials owe the community transparency, financial accountability & responsability to promot Severn Trent maintains all water storage facilities, booster pump stations, city wells and treats the waste water to be re-used by the city to water the parks, Desert Lakes Golf Course and is sold to construction companies for dust control. There are two "listener-supported" radio stations that do not carry advertising but depend on sponsorships and donations. Last night at the first regular commission meeting of the year, newly elected Mayor Susan Payne was sworn in along with District 2 Commissioner Stephen Burnett, and re-elected District 4 Commissioner Josh Rardin. [143][144] [133] PNM also provides electrical power in the Tularosa Basin, while Otero County Electric Cooperative, a member cooperative of Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association and of Touchstone Energy, serves other areas of the county. Provide a brief biography of your governing and business experience. The Mayor of Alamogordo Susan Payne receives threats and calls for her death as reported in a live interview with KALH Radio's Anthony Lucero in a breaking news report. It features a rodeo, animal judging, food and game booths, and carnival rides. In addition, my grand daughter runs track and is a varsity basketball player and weare proud and devoted grandparents. Boss also shared his appreciation for the partnership the City has with Holloman Air Force Base and White Sands Missile Range. By Tony Keith. AlamogordoTownNews.com -Where do you stand on the Recall of Couy Griffin and why? Susan Payne Response: "I will demonstrate the economic growth that we will have undertaken. Congratulations to our new Mayor and Commissioners. - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more. [166]:frontispiece[166]:116118 Civic boosters such as the Chamber of Commerce Alamogordo, NM 88310 Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more. Alamogordo High School Alamogordo Proud Breaking Stereotypes and Winning in Welding Competition, Alamogordo was the only team to be represented with female welders. [13]:4,67 Eddy influenced the design of the community, which included large wide thoroughfares and tree-lined irrigation canals. I assure you I dont really get a paycheck for this position but Iam grateful for the medical and dental insurance that my paycheck goes toward even if its not enoughto cover all of it.". A city in the Tularosa Basin of the Chihuahuan Desert, it is bordered on the east by the Sacramento Mountains and to the west by Holloman Air Force Base. Alamogordo Map. KLAG has a gospel music radio format and some live coverage of local events, including many remote broadcasts from civic events. Phone: 575-439-4205 Im ready to work with our new commission, hear their ideas, and implement strategies that will positively impact and improve our community for years to come, said Mayor Payne. New Mexico; Otero County; Alamogordo; Alamogordo Real Estate Facts. Alamogordo Restaurants. Listen 7:12. 22. Click this link to search our ordinance library! 8. Cost of living includes but is not limited to . Working with otheragencies and non-profits to assist those in need. Las Cruces, NM 88001 Phone: 575-541-2000 Public Hotline: 1-844-297-5947 Link Employee Hotline: 1-800-780-9554 Link Contact Us; Quick Links. Please help update this article to reflect recent events or newly available information. Published March 3, 2023 at 9:52 AM MST. Its 2009 sequel Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen also prominently featured these two military bases. As of 2018, Richard Boss holds the position of mayor.[117]. Real Estate listings held by brokers other than Zillow, Inc. are . Hours of Operation 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. The population was 35,582 as of the 2000 census. Simply put, the city already has begun this process andI support efforts made to that end.". A two-day trial was scheduled to start Tuesday at state District Court in Alamogordo. 6. The first call to the press he made was to our reporter to the station we own. We are fortunate to have had two additional squadrons of F16s come to the base and we enjoy hearing the Sounds of Freedom daily, said Boss. It features a butterfly release, a science fair, activities for children, and information booths from local health agencies and nonprofits. The Tommy Padilla Memorial Basketball Tournament[100] is an annual event held in March. Had a great experience with a City Employee? You can also call the Clerks office at 575-439-4100. AlamogordoTownNews.com -What is the one thing about Alamogordo that excites you the most? Edward Lee Howard, a former CIA case agent who allegedly gave classified material to the Russians and later defected to the Soviet Union, is an Alamogordo native. New Homes. What will you do personally to support growth andrevitalization of the corridor? That's the sentence handed down by Judge Clifton Newman this morning. [157]:45[158], Electric power is supplied within the city by PNM Resources. Boss highlighted some of the major projects that were completed and/or started during his time as mayor, including the demolition of the Sahara Apartments and other dilapidated buildings, the rebuilding of Kids Kingdom playground after the incident of arson, realignment of First Street and Florida Avenue, rehab of the fivemillion gallon Green andUpper Heights ground storage tanks, Bonito Lake restoration andinfrastructure improvement project, restoration and enhancement of water systems in our mountains and canyons (increasing water flow and quality), replacement of the zoo perimeter fence, completion of the onemillion gallon brackish water treatment facility, Phase 8 completion of McKinley Channel project and the continued funding of the final phase of this major flood control project. And South Carolina Public Radio's Victoria Hansen is back with us from outside the courthouse in Walterboro, S.C., to update us. "I would simply continue to encourage those that are sick to stay home and encourage everyone to use common sense practices such as good hand washing, disinfecting when necessary, etc.". . 103 Homes For Sale in Alamogordo, NM. [102] The city receives 72% of the entry fees and 5% of the gross proceeds taken in by vendors. [147], The major intercity surface routes from Alamogordo are U.S. We enjoy going to our local high school sporting events as well as having the ability to virtually be in any part of our city in just minutes. Payne urgedpeople to follow public health orders aimed at slowing the spread of COVID-19,but said that she does not support an "economic shutdown," after the State of New Mexico required nonessential business close last year amid the health crisis. Toll Free : 1-800-477-3632. Business Services Division Phone 505-827-3600 (Option 1) Fax 505-827-4387 Email Business.Services@sos.nm.gov. I wish this new commission great success in the administration of your duties to our beautiful community. We'll see what happens.". Interim City Manager: Brian Cesar I am the Executive Director of Love INC of Otero County, a human services non-profit organization, since 2009. Z-Trans is unusual in that it is privately owned (by Zia Therapy Center, a non-profit), although it does get some local and state subsidies.[156]. 3. Alamogordo. Professional golf brothers Brad and Bart Bryant are from Alamogordo. In the south part of the city, U.S. Route 70 splits from U.S. Route 54 in a southwestern direction towards Holloman Air Force Base, White Sands National Park, White Sands Missile Range, and Las Cruces. AlamogordoTownNews.com - What have you done to improve upon the blight of abandoned homes and derelict businesses inAlamogordo or Otero County in the last 4 years? I genuinely love our city and my goal is to make our community the one that other communities in New Mexico want to model.. The hospital is a shared military/civilian facility that is also the hospital for nearby Holloman Air Force Base. There were 15,920 housing units. [62][63] Susan Payne Response: "I would say half of the calls I receive from constituents are for code enforcement issues. Click this link to search our ordinance library! Check the city website for agenda dialog and be aware of proposals before the city of Alamogordo. For more 2021 local election results see the New Mexico Secretary of State's Election Results pageor call the Otero County Clerk's Office at 575-437-4942. Alamogordo is a city in Otero County, New Mexico. Our hope is for unity and a focus on moving forward out of the fog of Covid-19 with a focus on growth and prosperity for all of the diverse populations of Alamogordo. I would like tocontinue that as I work with administration and the citizens to be a leader that our community cancount on to represent our city in a positive way. Ste. Susan Payne Response: "I have been a judge for several spelling bees, again, our grand daughter is a National Honor Societyand Golden Scholar inductee, I attend high school graduations and have also been involved withJunior Leadership Otero. 10. 1376 E 9th Street, Alamogordo, New Mexico 88310 Incumbent Fernando Leal lost his seat on the Tularosa School Board with 96 votesto NaomiSainz' 117 votes. Welcome to Alamogordo Funeral Home. [13]:53 Construction began on the Alamogordo Army Air Field (the present-day Holloman Air Force Base) in 1942, and the Federal government has been a strong presence in Alamogordo ever since. Susan Payne Response:"I attend them all the time. [37], Previously Alamogordo had a German community due to the presence of the German Air Force at Holloman Air Force Base; in 1992 that air force made Holloman its main pilot training center in the United States. REGION: SouthEast. My campaign slogan was 'committed to community, dedicated to progress'and I will not waver from that promise," Payne said. There is no longer scheduled commercial service from New Mexico Airlines, previously operated under a subsidy from the Essential Air Service program. As to the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, Payne said that she would listen to local business owners. Open Houses. [36], Alamogordo's and Otero County's July 1, 2008, population were estimated at 35,757 and 62,776 respectively by the United States Census Bureau's Population Estimates Program. Copyright 2023 2nd Life Media AlamogordoTownNews.com. They relocated from California because they wanted to raise their children in a safer environment. Why not subscribe? A city in the Tularosa Basin of the Chihuahuan Desert, it is bordered on the east by the Sacramento Mountains and to the west by Holl. [101] The Gus Macker 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament is a national program that holds a tournament in Alamogordo each year in May. They relocated from California because they wanted to raise their children in a safer environment. Alamogordo is known for its connection with the 1945 Trinity test, which was the first ever explosion of an atomic bomb. [61] In May 2013, Alamogordo's City Commission approved a deal for Canada-based film production company Fuel Industries to excavate the Atari landfill site. Age 75. [107] The Lincoln National Forest, whose headquarters are in Alamogordo, is a mountainous area that starts about 10 miles (16km) northeast of Alamogordo and offers hiking, fishing, and camping. Susan Payne Response: "My vision is to see our city grow while still maintaining that home town feel that most citizens enjoy. My professional career includes extensive experience in accounting and non-profit management. Lead singer of 2020 GRAMMY Nominee Black Pumas, Eric Burton, grew up in Alamogordo and graduated from Alamogordo High School. Several major motion pictures were filmed in or near Alamogordo. What options are available to us? [81][82][83], Alamogordo Museum of History (formerly Tularosa Basin Historical Society Museum) collects artifacts related to the history of Alamogordo and the Tularosa Basin. The Political Climate in Alamogordo, NM is Somewhat conservative. Below are the 26 questions submitted to the candidates from AlamogordoTownNews.com and Susan Payne's responses 1. They have three children, five grandchildren and another on the way. [123], Alamogordo Public Library serves Alamogordo and Otero County. Males had a median income of $28,163 versus $18,860 for females. 13. "It has been a great place to raise our family and now we get to watch our grandchildren thrive as well. Boss gave a farewell speech at the last City Commission meeting of 2021 on Tuesday, Dec.14, where he recognized outgoing Commissioner Nadia Sikes who served as the District 2 commissioner for over nine years, and Payne recognized Boss and his wife Kim for their commitment to the City of Alamogordo. Alamogordo, NM Wednesday, December 21, 2022 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Public Information Office City of Alamogordo 1376 E. 9th Street, Alamogordo, NM 88310 Office: 575-439-4264 Email: coapio@ci.alamogordo.nm.us PRESS RELEASE 1 Today the City of Alamogordo honored former Mayor Donald E. Carroll in a naming ceremony at City Hall. Alamogordo city HALL. Cable television service is provided by Baja Broadband. [68], There are two amateur theatrical groups in Alamogordo. [140] New Mexico is near the bottom of most national rankings, for example it was 38th in the United Health Foundation 2007 report, but has been slowly improving (it was 40th in 2005). [121], The New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired is a state school located in Alamogordo. District 3 Alamogordo City Commissioner Susan Payne is running for Alamogordo Mayor in the 2021 Local Elections. I havent specifically done outreach in this arena however, working in the field that I do, Ihave many occasions to work with many diverse groups of individuals. Karl is a public policy professional, author, and pro-business advocate in Alamogordo. Its trail system in Otero County, the Cloud Climbing Rail Trail, is planned to eventually surround Alamogordo. Home Values By City. A desert community lying in the Tularosa Basin, it is bordered on the east by the Sacramento Mountains. Commissioner Susan Payne Candidate for Alamogordo Mayor Answers AlamogordoTownNews.com 26 questions for the Canidates. During the 2000 census, there were 13,704 households, and 9,728 families residing in the city. AlamogordoTownNews.com - Given the job is a part time job and one of public service, would you be willing to accept theposition if elected for NO pay and dedicate the public check each month to a local communityorganization rotating the donation monthly? If you are a resident of District 3 and interested in serving your community, please refer to the notice posted on the City of Alamogordos Facebook page and website, for details. Fax: (575) 437-6334 [125], The main newspaper in Alamogordo is Alamogordo Daily News (ADN), owned by MediaNews Group. The displayed photograph was created from the 1978 photographs made by Barrie M. Schwortz as part of the Shroud of Turin Research Project (STURP). The Post Office moved out in 1961, and the building was used by a succession of Federal agencies and was known as the Federal Building. It collects and displays all kinds of military memorabilia from all wars and military engagements. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in March. (iced) $4.25. Find Great Info Here! Get points plus better traffic and directions. [167]Alan Hale, an astronomer and co-discoverer of Comet Hale-Bopp, grew up in Alamogordo and lives in nearby Cloudcroft. Although often asked, I do not sit on allot of boards as I take it veryseriously and I just dont believe I can be effective and still balance my personal time. Pothole Patrol. It has a religious format, and a weekly local news magazine broadcast Thursday through Saturday. I never believed that it was the waythings should be done as it showed absolutely no decorum. City of Alamogordo Quick Links. SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) Cowboys for Trump cofounder Couy Griffin was found not guilty Wednesday of a misdemeanor charge of failing to register a political committee at a trial in southern New Mexico. It has a Council-manager government form of government (called Commission/Manager in New Mexico). Susan Payne Response: "I am a member of the board of Otero County Economic Development, the chamber of commerce and Iam the vice chair of Maingate United and as such I work diligently to create ways to attract newbusiness to Alamogordo.". AlamogordoTownNews.com - What do you view as the biggest opportunity and how you can assist with that opportunity forbusiness growth in the New York Avenue business corridor? [26][28] Because of this and because of the geology of the region, water in the basin is hard: it has very high total dissolved solids concentrations, in excess of 3,000mg/L. Due to current New Mexico Public Health orders related to COVID-19, some businesses may be temporarily closed, have alternative hours, or have a change in the way they are able to serve their customers. TOLL FREE: (800) 826-0294. They say just before 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Alamogordo police were called to an area near Ridgecrest Drive after reports of a man walking around with a gun. [9] The Mescalero Apache were already living in the Tularosa Basin when the Spanish came in 1534, and Mescalero oral history says they have always lived there. The New Mexico Rails-to-Trails Association operates a Rails to Trails project to convert old railroad beds to walking trails. Available in Caramel, Mocha, or Vanilla. Phone : 575-437-2210. The incidents began with tensions off the charts with protesters in front of Alamogordo High School from an extremist religious groups not from Alamogordo attempting to stir up hate and disrupting peace in front of the high . [112] The Sidney Paul Gordon Shooting Range, located about 3 miles (4.8km) north of town at 19 Rock Cliff Road in La Luz, is a supervised range with rifle, pistol, and archery ranges. [154] [115]:Article 31 The ordinance was passed in 1990 to promote the growth and scientific productivity of Apache Point Observatory. Specifically what shops and when? I cannot change whats happened over the past 18 months so and I would like to focus on ways we can move our city forward in spite of what has happened.". Alamogordo city hall's address. OCEDC continues to work to attract businesses, but now it also helps develop the incentive packages that will be paid by the new tax, and a portion of the tax receipts go to fund OCEDC's operating expenses. 1301 N. White . One recurring event is Walk Out West, a 1.5-mile (2.4km) walk held each October in Alameda Park Zoo. "I would like to say thank you to allmy supporters," Payne said. It is the place where my husband was born and it is the place where we raised all three of our children. [18][19], In 1983, Atari, Inc. buried over 700 thousand Atari 2600 video game cartridges, most notably E.T. and our family loves going tosupport our team. City Hall About 13.2% of families and 16.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.9% of those under age 18 and 11.8% of those age 65 or over. There was no alternative newspapers published in Alamogordo but The Ink, a free Las Cruces monthly newspaper devoted to the arts, is distributed in the city. [51] After 27 years of training at Holloman, the German Air Force left in 2019. They relocated their pilot training to Sheppard Air Force Base in Texas. AlamogordoTownNews.com - Would you participate in a public drop in, questions and answers and/or a public forum hostedat Roadrunner Emporium 928 New York Avenue in mid-October? 0:40. June 02, 2016 . Website: http://ci.alamogordo.nm.us/. [153], Greyhound Lines offers intercity bus service to Alamogordo. Alamogordo is the perfect place to visit for a fun-filled weekend getaway experience. Alamogordo. The main entrance portico features frescoes by Peter Hurd completed in 1942. 5.8 Review score 57 reviews. 11. It is the nearest city to Holloman Air Force Base. More:City of Alamogordo in need of workers, has 80 job openings. [149] In the deal between the City of Alamogordo and Fuel Entertainment regarding the excavation, Fuel Entertainment was to be given 250 games or 10 percent of what was found. Alamogordo Homes for Sale $187,582; Ruidoso Homes for Sale $272,952; Holloman AFB Homes for Sale-Tularosa Homes for Sale $151,734; Mescalero Homes for Sale-Ruidoso Downs Homes for Sale $179,978; Alamogordo, NM 88310 (575) 437-6120 or (800) 826-0294 Fax: (575) 437-6334 hello@alamogordo.com. City Clerk, Rachel Hughs, posted the Public Notice today with the qualifications and schedule for the appointment. " I'm excited to start my term as Mayor and continue to build on the . The Museum shop has a large collection of local history books. Earn 100 Microsoft Rewards points when you save home and work. [103] Several golf tournaments are held each year at Desert Lakes Golf Course, including the Robert W. Hamilton Charity Golf Classic. Address: 19955 US-70, Alamogordo, NM 88310, United States. United States. The last Federal agency to occupy it was the United States Forest Service who used it as the headquarters of the Lincoln National Forest until October 2008, when that agency moved to a newly constructed building. Alamogordo Proud! As one of the 15 divisions of the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs, the museum's mission is to educate both visitors and the local people of New . [161] During the winter, days are very mild and sunny, but nights are cold, with 32F (0C) reached on 73.6 mornings during an average winter, although only seven mornings have ever fallen to or below 0F (17.8C),[31] with the coldest temperature recorded at Alamogordo being 4F (20.0C) during a major cold wave on January 11, 1962. Otero County: Live local election coverage, New Mexico Secretary of State's Election Results page, Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. The Otero County election canvass is expected to take place at a special Otero County Commission meeting at 10 a.m. on Nov. 9. It's a win-win. "We do have some new housing going up but to my knowledge we have no new apartment complexes. Please provide the outcomes tothe legislation since passed Susan Payne Response: "The city does not specifically have any ordinances that would fall into either of these categories. Finally, Love INC (the non profit I run) is a financial sponsor ofgirls basketball.". The campus is situated "on the hill" above Alamogordo and provides inspiring views of the city . The median age was 34 years. While I am excited about the work that I have accomplished in my community, I consider my greatest joy to be my beautiful family. The city was incorporated in 1912. [51], An estimated 6,700 military retirees live in the area. Blended Frappes 12oz. In sports, professional soccer player Adam Frye, jockey Donna Barton Brothers, and former professional American football cornerback Conrad Hamilton were all born in Alamogordo. Susan Payne and her husband Ray moved their family to Alamogordo in January of 1994. Susan Payne Response: "This question is full of presumptions. There is now however a free online paper operated as citizen journalism produced by 2nd Life Media Alamogordo Town News https://2ndlifemediaalamogordo.town.news/ [128] The city government publishes City Profile, a monthly print newsletter that is mailed to all households in the city and is published electronically on the city web site,[129] Enjoying our stories? The Mayor is only one vote and part of the commission as a whole. [162], Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center is a private not-for-profit 99-bed general hospital that serves the Alamogordo area. District 3 Alamogordo City Commissioner Susan Payne is running for Alamogordo Mayor in the 2021 Local Elections. The 2009 film Year One was shot partly at White Sands National Monument, near Alamogordo. Tularosa Basin has been inhabited for at least 11,000 years. Alamogordo, county seat of Otero County, New Mexico, is the metropolitan, commercial and governmental center of the Tularosa Basin. Among notable items in the collection is a 47-star US Flag; New Mexico was the 47th state admitted to the Union, and US flags were made with 47stars only for one month, until Arizona was admitted.