You can also search past threads on the topic. Just makes you have better habits and develop faster. You've seen video -- he's usually thefastest guy on the field, but he needed, and still could use, work on starting as well as basic work on form. 5 years and 2 months 22-28 seconds. 20-yard sprint: Run 60 feet to measure speed from home plate to first base. Sticky 40 yard- 6.3 seconds. Any sprint more than five seconds trains something other than max-speed. Sprint mechanics must be taught. Thanks, Coach Gregory for the input, and I will spend some time looking over the article section of your outstanding and very informative web page. Pretty interesting stuff. 7.Throwing Velocity measured by the use of a radar gun The athlete makes a maximum of five overhand throws with a regulation softball, on flat ground. Regarding running times, velocity, pop times, and scouting reports. Thanks for the feedback to the newbie. Is this normal?? Do not try to correlate 10 yard times to 40 yard dash because it about how much you accelerate not how fast you get to 10 yards. There are dozens of threads here about 60 times but does anyone know an average or typical 60 yard time for players by age or grade? Interesting to see all the different opinions on what is considered fast and what isn't. OP, congrats to your DD for being in the top 20 at the event. The tables presented here "age-adjust" running times for runners in the 31-70 year old age groups, both male and female. We asked the coaches about sprint training. I do tend to think that acceleration is useful for training purposes maybe not for max speed but for power development outside weight gym it does correlates nicely. Johnny is the starting right guard (or wherever on the line) and the backup running back. You can now validate in the eyes of Johnny and his father that the other guy is the starting RB. I think you have to wait until at least 13-14 to start getting generalizations of a kids athletic potential! There isnt any time to train. theo coumbis lds; average 40 yard dash time by age chart female Im a personal trainer, and Im totally with you! Wind-aided though. What people tend to forget is that a 40-yard dash time of 4.5 or even 4.6 seconds is blistering fast. Whats new with Kinvents third-generation KForce force plates? I have a 9yo who is a big kid for his age (411, 100lbs) and plays hockey, lacrosse, & soccer. The sprint to first base test is also over 30 yards, and involves running a maximum sprint from home to first base. He is always the smallest kid on his travel teams, but always the most athletic as well. Plyometrics must be included. 95 sec age 11 90 sec age 12 85 sec age 13 80 sec age 14 75 sec age 15 73 sec age 16. 42 23.4 (leadoff). Compensations are adjustments made, often unconsciously, to survive a task. The incidence of ACL and Achilles injuries, even non-contact injuries, is rising, as anyone who watches football, basketball, or soccer knows. The fastest 60-yard dash was run by both Herb Washington and Mel Pender, who ran it in 5.8 seconds in 1972 and 1973, respectively. Regardless of your age, prospects should focus on getting better and putting themselves in the right position against the best competition available. You cannot simply have them run the same was as a 60, you need them with a bat in hand and see how quickly they get out of the box. He is too young to join most of the soccer teams( at least in my town) though in couple of months he will be playing in a soccer team. If they arent wearing spikes, they arent sprinting. Any 17u teams in Illinois I can still register and play for this summer? My point is that freaks can play 2-4 sports. PG does post the best speed they have seen at their events, not just the best speed at a showcase. With social distancing, playing in the backyard and in the house (and watching tv) is virtually all we do. If that is the case I would still encourage you to stick with it. All times in article are handheld. How fast can Usain Bolt run the 40 yard dash? I agree for certain positions, not for others. Claytons additional marks at age 9. Well Done. I dont have enough training awareness to recognize things he could do, other than just saying go faster. Im a sophomore in highschool and started to really focus on my speed last year. What does a D1 baseball pitcher look like? If you play a skill position in football, your 40 time might be the most valuable skill event. Same with baseball. Next some stats of what they did in high school. I have a freelap, but these time are done at showcases and happen what seems like every weekend. Hes still not a candidate to run on my 41, but he sure looks fast on the football field. Got this from coach Jackson at Poteet a while back. Also forgot to mention. My DD just keeps getting slower lol. It seems all little kids play soccer these days. By the way, sprinting is the best strength exercise I know. Forum contains unread posts, Topic Icons: The best indicator of sprint ability is max-speed. 100 yards is 91.44 meters. SF. The unfortunate thing is that we are going to have to make decisions about high school soon as his small private school that he loveshas a very poor program. Any idea how the kid is doing in college? Tony Holler is the track coach at Plainfield North High School. I specifically tell him that if its not fun, he shouldnt be doing it. Luckily, there are several. I can tell what kids know how to block/hit/tackle by watching this drill. He and his father want him to play running back. You didn't run your 30 yard dash in 3.54 seconds. I do this every year so teams that I have for three and four years it allows me to see who is developing, who is maturing biologically the fastest (hitting puberty), and who needs work and what he needs. Mine was 3x week. It would be great to speak to you let me know a time that works for you. Clayton was taught to sprint by his dad, one of the best track coaches in the state of Illinois. Not once did I pay to play. They are going to be following up with their coach(es) to see how seriously they take their training. A "Good" 10-Yard Split Time (1.56-1.59) Gaines Adams, Buccaneers: 1.58 (2007) Derrick Harvey, Jaguars: 1.59 (2008) An "Average" 10-Yard Split Time (1.60-1.62) Kamerion Wimbley, Raiders: 1.60 (2006) Bruce Davis, Patriots: 1.62 (2008) A "Below Average" 10-Yard Split Times (1.63-1.69) Charles Johnson, Panthers: 1.63 (2007) Thanks for the info- I definitely don't think that she's the speediest out there, but just wanted to boast that she did the best out of 68 at the tryout. Even though the server responded OK, it is possible the submission was not processed. No way an 8 year old can run this fast. Not only will it enhance performance, but it will dramatically decrease injuries if the athlete learns how to sprint. Though you almost always have to sprint or workout to be actually fast. Thank You for the article. He has gone to Coach Lakatos speed camp for several years and has gone to the ones we host at McKendree. he was under 6.4 at 7 years old. Video must be analyzed. Thanks for the perspective. June 10 June 21, M-W-F, 8:30 9:45. tony.holler@yahoo.com, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HTwctAHyceamDmwLAPJWJ0BAnSMpDnGvfKXADTm1Ldg/edit?usp=sharing. If youre interested in becoming a sprint coach, start by attending the Track Football Consortium IV December 2nd and 3rd. If you want to maximize your kids chances for success, teach them to sprint because speed kills, and you dont get fast by running slow. Contact their program and go watch their off season workouts. I would be really interested to see how things work out. Washington offered her based on softball and basketball. [19] References [ edit] I understand individual improvements will vary and will concede that anomilies exist but is this typical? The pressure is too much for many kids and they transfer. Sprinting doesnt happen during a seven-mile run. Question: the average 50 yard dash sprint times for 12-13 year olds is 5.44 seconds worth standard deviation of 0.34 seconds. In the summer, theyre basically playing everyday so I have to be cautious with sprint and strength volume. My guy's was more along the lines of Go44's thoughts. Did the timer say "go" or start the clock when the runner started? I dont want to over train him. I will update this for the group in the hope that it helps to benchmark for others. Clayton comes from an athletic family and has played soccer, baseball, and flag football. Ive seen 58 11 year olds who are studs but never get significantly better. These are an indication of what coaches generally look for, but there will be exceptions. I know the rate of decreasing times cant continue, but its interesting to see how they track. At 18 I was our fastest pitcher at 7.2, but most position players were well under 7. Anyway, there's not much more in the link than what I pasted in as the excerpt. Percentile Vertical Jump Pro-Agility Run 10-Yard Dash 40-Yard Dash Rank Inches Seconds Seconds Seconds 99 21.25 < 4.62 > 1.87 > 5.02 > 95 21 4.63 - 4.64 1.88 - 1.89 5.03 - 5.04 He is at a local mid D1, no idea how it's going since he just got there in August. Is a 4.5 40 fast? Remember, sprinters pick up their feet, lift their knees, and then deliver vertical force. At 10 i would look at 30 yard dash times. I had to wait for mine to buy in before I was willing to spend the $$ ( he is 14). My advice to athletic-minded parents: Teach your kid to sprint. This is without blocks starting in a sprinters stance with tennis shoes on an indoor running track. After a few searches on the internet and not finding it, I would appreciate if you could tell me what you mean by adding FAT to your posted times, thank you, "I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate", http://www.aisports.com/COMBRESULTS.HTM#RB, Powerlifting Workouts - Training Journals, Post Your Pictures and Introduce Yourself. The 75 running backs had an average 10-yard split of 1.57 seconds at the combine and 1.57 seconds at their pro days. Let's dissect the 100 meters. Her time splits if anyone is interested for comparison were; 10 yard- 1.8 seconds. Look for a sprint coach who believes in alactic training. While the cornerbacks weren't as fast as the receivers at the 2019 combine, the defensive group did have 15 times below 4.50 in the 40-yard dash and 12 prospects with a vertical of at least 38 inches. I think you could look at those and establish a baseline or average. Is this a reasonable expectation of improvement year over year as the player gets older and matures? Im fortunate to be 20 miles from Plainfield, IL. We have a puppy thats added incentive to run faster! Develop, fun, develop, fun, age appropriate coaches, and programs that are focused on developing will help your son immensely. He had knee surgery the first week of June and was only cleared to run 100% the end of last week. Kids should perform all sprint training in a non-fatigued state. More people are reading SimpliFaster than ever, and each week we bring you compelling content from coaches, sport scientists, and physiotherapists who are devoted to building better athletes. I dont like how this article reduces sprinting to technique, if that were true, everyone could be fast. Understanding what college baseball scouts are looking for in position players in terms of height, weight and skill can help student-athletes better focus their school search on programs that offer a level of competition that is the best match for them. An average recreational time for a female in the 40 yard (or 36.58 meters) dash is approximately 5.8 seconds. Depending on body type this would be possible2018 (june bday) went from a 7.83 (Feb 2015) as a 15yr old to a 6.96 (Aug 2016) as a 16yr old. Oh, my best lineman (5'9" 225) ran a 5.45 so guess who is pulling on my counter plays. His exit velocity(ball leaving the bat) went from 82 to 89-90 mph. My times for the 8th graders ranged from 8.5 down to a 5.21. Old 3 year old: 10.7 The run just seems to be so critical now for a position player & we do not think twice about paying for hitting or pitching instruction, but proper run mechanics & training can have a major positive impact here. This is an average of 4:34 per mile for 26.2 miles. Thanks for this great poste. Check out Claytons 40 times in the graph below. If you don't see that going well then neither will the coach, and your boy won't make the team or he will be the bench warmer until that growth spurt hits. They (we) time 40yds wrong, but not more than 0.3 unless its intentional or timed by an observer. We just can't report what we don't see. Speed is measured by running a 60-yard dash. Maybe check your tape next time just to make sure you didnt measure 40 feet instead of 40 yards. The tables use factors to adjust your time to a comparable performance by a 30-year old (open class) runner. Note: Im talking sprint training. Any specific YouTube training videos anyone would recommend for short burst, form? Sprint mechanics must be taught. When can they train and actually work on speed? If they are looking at catchers, they probably put eyes on several, but may go to the stat sheet to see how the pop times compared and who they might have missed. Endurance athletes are efficient, not fast. Lolthis is complete BS. Yes, considering your age, a 40-yard dash time of 4.9 seconds is very good. I would guess my son is a late bloomer by about 2.5 years, at 5'9, 130lb now. A local 2016 D1 recruit, whose parents apparently had money to burn, went to SIX showcases from 2012-2016. Im all for playing everything. 1.45 seconds. An ERA between 2.00 and 4.00 is considered good for high school pitchers. Football coaches sometimes use the term track speed as a dog whistle for wimp speed. These are the fastest kids in the city. This comes naturally to him because my wife doesnt eat salty or spicy food either. Here's the crazy thing. And now, at age 4 years and 10 months he got it down to 23 seconds Without any training at all. Average 100 Yard Dash Time by Age. He was best at throwing and catching a football. Is that good? We had three kids that were all fast, but when we put them head to head, the results were different from their individual 20 yd sprints. He's 6'1 and about 170still has a lot of filling out to do, so I'm sure his time might get down a tad bit more before its all said and done. * The result is your age graded percent. Based on the above, the numbers from the blog seem fairly accurate. But not in weightlifters, even when they have accidents involving massive amounts of weight. My kid goes to a very aggressive school with a strong sports program with a history of kids being recruited to play in college. The average speed for the 40-yard Dash and the 20-yard Dash is around 8.4 seconds, but variations are above or below this time, depending on factors such as player body weight and running surface. They may be running relatively fast, but theyre not sprinting. DD who isn't a speedster was 4th fastest at 3.18. Anything more than this is counterproductive. In fact Ive seen kids quit and not play in college because theyve been falsely pumped up by athletic enhancement gurus or AAU coaches and when they didnt get a D1 offer they thought lower levels were beneath them. We are what we do. Speed relates to many athletic endeavors that utilize speed and power. Clayton Lakatos is a 75-pound 10-year-old. These former college players I hired still love the game and they're normally very interested in helping young players with athleticism, desire, and a dream, like they once had. Should I move up to the 800m or keep with the 100, 200, and 400? Im a college sprint coach and my son plays multiple sports and he likes to train and get faster. if you're generally regarded as very fast, then the 3.41 is probably your 30 time. Tell me where to turn so that a good coach would look at my daughter and maybe send her to competitions among children 7-8 years old. Would you have more extended ref timings grid by ages available somewhere ? It can also show who has the fastest speed on a fly route. This would certainly skew the numbers (and percentage gain) over time. Average 20-yard dash time for high school softball is approximately 3.5 seconds; NCAA softball is approximately 3.1 seconds. Prospects looking to get recruited cant control when they develop or what coaches think of them. Of course, this is just an estimate. Considering though that shes only in the 50th percentile so far as height, that seems pretty solid. You didn't even come remotely close. Hot We live in Palm Beach, Florida. Their age at the time of testing plays a big part of their results since one year to a 6 or 7 year old can mean a lot of growth and progress. Men's Age-Adjusted Running Tables Women's Age-Adjusted Running Tables Other Web Links my home page Find out more about AAU baseball teams and tournaments. I had several in the 4.0 range including a 10 year old @135lbs. Coaches will often push and pull things to train acceleration. Less than two percent of high school players go on to play Division 1 college baseball, but there are more opportunities at the other division levels. 2. Please contact the developer of this form processor to improve this message. Every sprint must be less than five seconds in length. No training at all. and then he kills it. I've always hired previous D1 SS's to teach my boys the necessary position footwork and glove work. He was busy and so were the coaches I tried to get him to, so before HF he was able to get in just one session with a speed coach, and then he worked on the stuff the coach gave him for a couple weeks. Recruits need to show the strength, speed and general athleticism to make the jump. And find a way to keep your son in multiple sports through 9-10th grade, it helps with keeping it fun, developing an athlete, cross training, and being with their other friends etc. We were 3 sports thru 9th, 2 thru 10th, then he knew he wanted to focus on baseball. This is complete BS. I have read your 400m article and feel your pain about not reaching your full potential because a coach ran you into the ground with repeat 400s. Your supposed time translates to around a 4.1 40 yard dash which would break Deion Sanders . I've heard this a LOT. Lol. All Rights Reserved. Video must be analyzed. Before kids learn to multiply and divide, theyre playing soccer against teams from other towns. What makes that difficult for many recruits is that some coaches are willing to project earlier than others and athletes develop on different timelines. Im glad I ran across your article, I will make sure to share. Based on the age of the athlete, 0.4 - 0.7 s and 4 - 14 cm changes in the 40-yd and VJ, You nailed it! Great stuff with a lot of useful information. This is a good benchmark to compare to when you're training, but it may not accurately reflect your speed. Why does the chart not continue on to age 50, 60, 70 etc. We're sorry. I would argue that a decline in any particular drill would stick out like a sore thumb - pop time in your example certainly being a good example. If you see guys running with parachutes behind them, turn around and walk out. John Ross holds the official electronic record at 4.22 seconds. Our favorite two segments to analyze are 0-20 and 10-40, and the formula for success is uncomplicated: ii.lxx seconds from 0-20 yards and three.00 seconds from ten-forty yards. Kids with weak cores and lower body strength won't do it well and kids that are not athletic will have a hard time coordinating the movement. Old 4 year old: 9.0just did this one today. He also play tennis every other day. It factors weight into a player's 40-yard dash time assigning a premium to fast times run by bigger, often spaner, running backs. Based on the graphs below, we expect T.J.s speed numbers to improve. Not Replied Assume ready position behind line and start stopwatch when first foot hits the ground after start. PA is really a measure of lateral speed and 6 Tire Zig Zag is a measure of lateral quickness. And if you're teetering between getting a college offer, or making the league, the 40 yard dash can be the event that pushes you over the edge. Great article! All I hear from kids is they want to go D1 D1 D1, there is nothing wrong with D2, D3 or NAIA if you are playing for the right reasons aka love of the game, Ive seen too many kids who want to say they got a scholarship and love the idea they got a scholarship and quit because theyre burnt out. The average punt covers about 40 yards, which is why it became an important distance for football sprints. Great post! Especially with a stupid sport coach that beats the hell out of the players. If youre in it for your benefit do us all a favor and get out of coaching. You may also have some early video & can look at progression through the years. Any udpates on your son's 60yd this year as a 17 year old? Great time, man. Low-volume sprinting is good for all of us. Im assuming the 40 times posted here for the 9 year old kid were recorded by hand. That makes total sense. Video analysis is a part of every reputable sprint program. CF with a big bat.certainly didn't hurt himself in front of the scouts with that performance. timmy on December 4, 2011 at 3:42 pm #112861. purpose: The aim of this test is to determine . 7.0 before training, 6.81 after a month or so. He tops out at 85. The time differences were evenly distributed between 0. Most running backs clock it times between 4.40 and 4.70, with some running in the 4.30's and some running higher than 4.70. Ive got to say that I love so many of the things you said and the way you said them. I have timed over 200,000 40s in my coaching career. Hi, I dont know what to think of this race times that you wrote My son ran 100m race with 4 Years and two weeks for 26 seconds? I have a 14u 2020. Look for a sprint coach whose strength training looks different than your high school football team back in the 80s or 90s. What happens now in terms of my recruiting process? Look for a sprint coach who believes in alactic training. In this second of a six-part series interviewing the sport practitioners set to speak at CVASPS The 2023 Seminar in July, we talk to highly respected coach Boo Schexnayder about improving S&C coaching culture, professional development, and how to design effective speed training. The 30 yard dash (27.432 meters) is part of the SPARQ rating system for baseball, and their protocol is listed here. Not all that long ago an 88-91 mph fastball was considered major league average, but current data shows it is now below-average. The average improvement isn't quite as dramatic as the blog's .5 second but there is an improvement in times at roughly the 50th percentile. They were 10 last year. He also had growing pains. A 60 yard dash time between 67 69 usually equate to an average runner on the playing field. One of his favorite coaches noted that he needs to work on speed and recommended 10y sprints and 5-5-5 shuttles to work on speed; which we are doing, but Id like to get him in a more regimented, mature coaching structure than just me outside with him and a stopwatch. It will probably be next summer before mine is in the high 6s where things will plane out from there. SPEED 60-Yard Dash Times (In Seconds) 80 . But the kids that are there get better faster. Timed . You must log in or register to reply here. Hi! Anything where they change direction a couple of times. They offered her based on her current size and speed. http://www.gregorydoublewing.com/youth.html. Metcalf 's 10-yard split of his 4.33-second 40-yard dash clocked in at 1.45 seconds. So the 14 year old who reportedly runs a 4.4 forty was basically one step behind one of the fastest ever football players of all time. If I had to do only one test for athletic ability it would be the bear crawl. What is the best way for high school catchers to market themselves to D1 college coaches? 1. You are using an out of date browser. With this great interest in youth sports, you would think kids would be faster than ever. My understanding is that MLB average home to first is about 4.0. With a little training a kid can improve his sixty time beyond what comes naturally. I'm sure the kid deserved the attention he ended up receiving, but I'm guessing the parents got more out of the early scores than anyone else - "Little Jimmy was in the 98% percentile of all pre-teens with a pop time of 2.5". Sprinting is never achieved in high-volume situations. Or what? We have our differences, but we always agree on the subject of speed. You must be signed in to continue. I have times from last year for our team. It also drives me crazy when they compare dunking to sprinting. Wicket drills (running over mini-hurdles) is a staple of sprint training. Is that 20 yards, which is equal to 60 feet? All things being equal, a prospect who has the will to practice hard is going to be recruited over a one who has the ability but not the work ethic. The current issue with sport is that these kids just compete year round. Amazing! Who are the coaches? To defend the 60, I would not want to be the guy running a true home to 1st drill. I Reckon I Am 11 And I Can Run 32kph in speed not distance. Chris Johnson who ran a 4.24 seems to be an anomaly as he is the only . Id say the best way to get a base is to look over research. For as much as team sports value speed they sure dont seem to put kids in the right environment to develop it. These times were set in May and will be retested in November/December and then every 6 months. Copyright 2023 SimpliFaster. The results? Edwardsville won the Illinois 3A (big school) title in 2015 and placed 2nd in 2012, 2014, and 2016. Sorry about the link. He plays baseball, soccer, flag-football, and basketball. The average punt covers about 40 yards, which is why it became an important distance for football sprints. It has been speculated that in his prime, Usain Bolt might have been able to run a sub-4.0 40. 200 meter dash: 27.89 Interesting information. Sprints must be timed. I would only add that going to a school with a " strong " HS program can help but only if you arent a bench warmer. Coaches are going to begin looking at prospects as soon as they are physically developed enough to give a reliable estimation of how they will project as an 18- to 21-year-old player. Smoke, he met with the coach once, then worked out maybe 4 times on his own. I didnt believe her so I timed him best of three was 5.68! As a sophomore, T.J. again quarterbacked his group to a 9-0 season. RELATED : 40-Yard Dash Tips . My only disagreement is the multiple sport comment. My 2018 went to a PG event the summer after his Freshman year and had his 60 time recorded at 7.2. Speed is definitely a skill. Then, depending on your age, we multiply the resulting percentage by the appropriate WMA Factor. My son's program is often a top ten state program and even the guys headed to div 1 had to do showcases and travel team events to be seen. As Tom Petty says, Never slow down, never grow old.. The scores to the left are average times and the score to the right is the best score I have seen in that drill. No one sprints in a state of fatigue. I cannot emphasize this enough. I've heard pop times are difficult at times to control as the catchers start "cheating". High school football players: Learn why your 40-Yard Dash time is slower than you think. The junior has gained almost 20 lbs and dropped from a 6.9 to a 6.68 electronic. Story - while I was at PG this summer, I was speaking to a LOT of college coachesjust because I am very chatty. My Daughter just turned 10 and her time is 5.53. For some reason, I can find it via Google but it doesn't work when I copy the link into the post. Track & field can be a life long sport, if youre not doing killer-mentality training at age 14, thus wearing out parts. A twenty-year-old male usually runs the distance in about five seconds, while a thirty-year-old male has an average 40 yard dash time of 3.7 seconds. Sub-max sprinting will not make kids faster.