The second option is not to cross the footbridge over the river and instead continue on along the northern bank of the river; it curves to the right and a fifth of a mile after the footbridge it passes under the railway viaduct. Overview. Bakewell is a scenic town in the south of the Peak District National Park, famous for Bakewell puddings and surrounded by beautiful rolling hills this really is a must do in 2023. Just the right distance for my little one to manage! Walk shoes needed as some are muddy! From the footbridge continue ahead to the Agricultural Business Centre, constructed when the livestock market was moved across the river in the 1990s because the town centre had become conjested on Monday market day. Your Stories Generally considered an easy route, it takes an average of 1 h 40 min to complete. Good with kids aged 8-13. Go down two flights of wooden steps to reach the Monsal Trail. After gently ascending for almost half a mile, the track becomes a bridlepath leading past a cluster of isolated farm buildings before descending steeply on a zig-zag path through woodland to Coalpit Bridge, one of the prettiest packhorse bridges in the Peak District. Some on a quite busy footpath and some more rural off-road track. Great trail, very easy - can be very muddy in wet conditions. Within a short while the mine was closed, thus ending the Lathkill Gold Rush! There is a plaque on the wall of the cottage on the right which informs you that Richard Arkwright junior lived here in 1778 until 1792. It seemed sensible to do a short and easy walk so that I would not be tired for the drive home, so I settled on the Monsal Trail, which follows the old railway line between Bakewell and Blackwell Mill near Buxton. Flights Holiday Rentals Restaurants Things to do Bakewell Tourism; Bakewell Hotels; Bed and Breakfast Bakewell Really good dog friendly with a cafe half way. We helped him up and thankfully he was unhurt, but he firstly castigated me for not looking where I was going and the dog owner for letting it run loose. All rights reserved. Dogs are welcome, but must be on a leash. Took my 2 year and a push chair , we loved it Care needs taking because there is a dramatic drop off to the right, but the side of the tunnel is well worth a look for an engineering geek such as myself. When the path reaches a wall ahead, ignore a gate and steps to the road and instead pass through a gate to continue across a further meadow towards the bridge. Monday trail is very mediocre, but the return route is much more adventurous! Bakewell has one of the oldest markets in the area, dating from at least 1300 and markets are still held here every Monday. Lots of lovely picnic spots early on the trail with a lovely cafe and bike hire at and old train station :). Picnic tables are sited on the right just before reaching the station. Go through a heavy metal gate on your right to follow an indicated bridlepath down the field. Start your walk at Bakewells five-arched bridge that has spanned the River Wye for 700 years. Nice variety on the walk, good for our dog, we chose to walk through bakewell itself at the end instead but all in all a good trail. I think I did this in reverse. Try this 6.0-mile loop trail near Bakewell, Derbyshire. FIND YOUR WAY OUTSIDE is a trademark of AllTrails, LLC. Wye Cottage, a romantic hideaway for 2, has a large beamed bedroom, sitting room, fitted kitchen and a newly renovated bathroom with large walk-in shower and bath. The trail passes through Blackwell Mill, Chee Dale, Millers Dale, Cressbrook, Monsal Dale, Great Longstone, Hassop and Bakewell. The tourist honeypot of Dovedale has nothing on it. My 7 and 4 year old sons loved the walk and it was perfect for them. Easy to follow and easy walking most of the way. ALLTRAILS and the AllTrails Mountain Design are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the United States as well as certain other jurisdictions. Nearby is Chatsworth House and Hardwick Hall, plus within driving distance is Alton Towers. The River Wye is one of Derbyshire's best-known rivers and is popular with anglers because of the large numbers of wild brown, rainbow trout and grayling it contains. Glance behind from time to time to enjoy views back towards Haddon Hall. Cross this and turn right across a tumbledown stone wall, still following the river on the right. On this walk you will go through several gates, over one stile and descend a couple flights of wooden steps. Great to visit both Bakewell and Ashford on the water, Great walk. As this track bends left, continue straight ahead keeping the wall on the right to reach a stile in the right-hand field corner. Good for gentle 1.5hour walk from Bakewell. This trail is great for birding, hiking, and mountain biking. If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can Looking for other things to do in the south of the Peak District? Bakewell is appreciated and enjoyed by residents and locals as well as being a magnet to visitors because of its high percentage of independent shops, regular special events and festivals together with a thriving community spirit. The dale is very narrow with limestone cliffs towering over the Wye below. Head right until you reach the river. The gradient flattens and it curves to the left once again, passing a company car park and the old Bakewell station building to the right. Chatsworth House and Gardens can be reached under 5 miles, Famous for its rich history, historic and modern waterworks and . Property code: 90579. Plenty of cafs for refreshments along the way. THE CLASSIC LONG DISTANCE WALK Walkers travel from around the world to enjoy this classic long-distance route, which follows the Wye for 136 miles of river and hill walking, from the rugged upland moorlands of the mountains of mid Wales to the Severn near Chepstow. From there the route heads up through pastureland onto the Monsal Trail, before returning on quiet field paths to Bakewell. Picnic tables are sited on the right just before reaching the station. Do not follow this link or you will be banned from this site! From the viaduct, turn left to start following the old railway line eastwards for 1.8 miles. Follow this track for of a mile gently uphill at first then downhill, passing through five large wooden gates (ignoring all side gates). Note the Bath Gardens on the other side of the road. Please send them as email attachments (configured for any computer) along with your name to: