Haven't registered for Team Titleist yet? A standard golf shop, or fitting center will be able to do this. I have read that if you bend 1 degree strong you lower the bounce on the iron. Featured Section: It was suggested that I would bring my launch and spin down a bit with making my irons 1-2 stronger. Forged irons should be checked every year or 2 anyway for loft/lie. Clear editor. Good question. Most people won't hit a 2 iron off the fairway though, so they probably won't take a divot at all As far as bounce goes, do you really think a club going 100 mph is going to be affected by 2 less of bounce? Shane Lowry on the new Srixon ZX Mk II line (fairway wood, utility, ZX5/ZX7 irons). Military. Often, golfers think they need to make more birdies in order to score better or become a better golfer, when in reality it is minimizing the bad shots and bad holes that can have more impact. This will change the trajectory of the ball, and can potentially cause misdirected shots. The lightweight speed designs dont seem to help the everyday golfer from the examples I see out on the course. From my observation of thousands of golfers of all skill levels, far too many are deficient in the fundamentals, starting with the grip, and then to the set-up and only then to the swing motion. Pasted as rich text. You will see it often when a pro, for example, will eliminate his 4 iron from the set and they may strengthen their 5 iron a degree or two and weaken their 3 iron a degree or two to even out the gaps. I just purchased a new set of 716MB irons. How noticeable will the difference in trajectory be and will distances change? Everyone's comments are super helpful! The club only has .5 degrees of bounce as it is. How Long Do They Last, Driving Iron Advantages and Disadvantages, You are using clubs that are too tall for you (easy fix is to change the shaft length), You stand far away from the golf ball when making a swing. Upload or insert images from URL. You must log in or register to reply here. 5 Testers Needed! Currently I play a set of old-school Ping Eye 2s, which I love, but I want the benefits of modern irons and forged heads. Bending strong 2* decreases bounce by 2* and increases offset by about .75mm. Newer irons, however, are designed with a loft angle that is between 18 and 22 degrees. TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15 / Matrix White Tie 70-X The one with a ballflight too high, is delivering the clubhead I've bent tons of clubs. Here are some of the facts, and fallacies, about club adjustment. Production Manager Wesley Turner: Five Years in the Bag. Since such a precise hit is needed to take advantage of the lower loft, the average distance each club hits the ball tends to converge at lower lofts for less-skilled players. Manage your expectations, dont expect to hit every shot close, Make smarter club choices based off the above, Be sensible: The middle of the green is a GREAT place to be, The average golfer will get up and down from a bunker, 1 out of 5 times, The average golfer manages to get up and down around 1 in 3 times, Short game shots from the fairway have the highest success rate. I dont want the extra length added to the shaft plus the x7 2i shaft I have for it is the last x7 shaft i have. Hi everyone, sorry for the slow reply! Any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated. Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95 That means judging any of this due to the club head alone and isolated makes no sense, we have to include the player and his delivery of the head since thats what matters for if we can / should go weaker or stronger or leave it as it is. Like you said, it will change the bounce but other than that, it wont change much and shouldnt effect the playability of the club unless you are really steep and need the bounce. Clamp the piece of angle iron into the vise. This is especially true of clubs made with long hosels. These are topics that have been kicked around and that are important in todays market, so articles will most likely be touching on them in the future. Here are the different ways fitters change the lie angle of a club: A club can either be bent to an upright position (toe higher than heel) or flat (toe lower than heel) usually in increments of 1 or 2 degrees. Hes happy to answer any of your questions! I did this to reduce the spin rate. 2023 Acushnet Company. The G30 is a high-launching game improvement design. But they will still land on the green as soft as an older set of irons (if not softer). Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Titleist AP3 3 iron 2 degrees strong AMT black stiff shaft at the best online prices at eBay! It would decrease the bounce on each club, not a good idea, as well as it would cause the ball to go farther. I would never ever think of doing this on my own. APPLY NOW: Cleveland Frontline Elite Putters! Not only does it mess with the bounce/offset, but it's only a number on the sole if the club. I would advise you to not try it yourself unless you have experience in doing so professionally. Will I be digging too much? Well-regarded at home, he mixed his time in junior golf with the likes of Min Woo Lee and Curtis Luck, during which he finishedrunner-up at The Players Amateur before winning the elite Porter Cup and being part of the victorious three-man Australian team at the Eisenhower Trophy, played partly at El Chamaleon, scene of the Mayokaba events on the PGA Tour. You might as well get a distance gap before bending. 50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*, Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck If the customer cant get the 4 iron in the air, pull that too and give them a hybrid that will get in the air. So, if you really want to get better at golf, start by learning how to hold the club properly. (I ran into this today.) There is no worry about bending a club that was bent last year or last week. Great article! well unfortunately people buy clubs based on their ego and the club manufactures feed it. I don't have any problems with the slight increase in offset and the lower bounce but if needed you could get someone to grind the leading edge a bit to put some bounce back. Clamp the piece in so only a 1/2 inch below where you want the bend in the angle iron is flush with the top of the vise. Add in the added forgiveness of modern irons, and you have a winning combination. Will that change the playability of the irons dramatically? I was 50 yards out on the 3rd hole, and was in the moguls. ***GIVEAWAY*** Cleveland CBX ZipCore Wedge! I was fit for my current irons and they were bent 2 degrees strong for ball flight purposes. I have to explain that the design allows the iron to have a stronger loft. This is a statistic that is fairly consistent across all abilities of amateur golfers with only a five percent difference across all golfers. GolfWRX_Official 5-G The ball came out much higher and shorter, just like you would expect from a 63*. MyGolfSpy Forum Virtual Golf Tournaments, Forum Featured:Community Map & Course Reviews, By ENTER NOW! That means someone who has a ballflight thats too low, he delivers the head with less loft than needed, and by that less than the design of the head is meant to be played with, so he cant go wrong by tweaking lofts weaker. I dont pretend to be an expert, or even close. "so, any advice, I keep air mailing greens with my PW from 140, this is really hurting my score. The so-called "standard" lie angles are 9 iron at 64* with a spacing of 1 deg between clubs. Contact Us Wedges: Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or-Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or-Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW And here is why. 16,822. Potentially, this would mean the toe digs in and your shots go right (right handed). I find Callaway irons have to much bounce to begin with esp. I know that for every degree strong I bend it, it will take a degree off the bounce. Just curious for those who have personal experience with this as to the answer. I think it depends on the player and his swing. Will keep that in mind from now on, It is hard for some golfers to understand how irons with more loft can help them hit the ball farther,. If jacking with strong lofting one you need to have a good fitter/ instructor work with you on your model suggestion and what will fit your swing. Oh, and Jason Day is reputed to have bent some of his irons strong and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with ego. Some people prefer a higher or lower, high- or low-spin ball flight for strategic purposes. Never go more than 2 degrees when making adjustments. Idk CG specifics on those models, but I have seen similar results with I20, and G25. Callaway Epic - HZRDUS BlackCobra F9 3 Wood So the assumption is that the loft alone is what is creating more distance with the new irons. This is even less a personal thing than the grip with very little variation, there is a single way to set up to a golf ball to help a good golf swing happen. So, it is my contention that conditions on the course often vary much more than changing the dynamics of a club by a degree or two. You won't notice it. That said, people will usually launch clubs higher with a longer shaft length as well, (mechanical advantage/physics) so again, it kind of goes hand in hand with the stronger lofts. Iwas wondering if I could bend my 712 AP2 irons strong and not see any changes in the irons. 5 Testers Needed! But the end result for an iron fitting is the same: I want the customer to leave with a set of irons that produce the best possible launch conditions for them. I highly recommend that golfers get fitted before making a large purchase on golf clubs. There are however a few key points that golfers need to know about changing the lie angle of their club so that they can get the most out of their club. 1 is somewhere between somewhat important to very important, then the next question has to be. It's a club you pick off the turf anyway. But, as lofts are strengthened the gaps become compressed on the long end and widened on the short. Loft and lie changes are more or less permanent. Generall, Dont worry and overthink this like most doo. Bubba might better be able to answer that question, I know you can with the mb or cbs. Espana. I am not sure exactly what you are asking with the final 2 questions, are you asking should the 5 and 7 iron have the same launch conditions as the 6 iron, or would there be any issues if your 5 iron or the 7 iron launched like the ideal conditions for the 6 iron? The new era of stronger lofts is all about how far to hit 7 iron vs how close to hit 7 iron and more accurate. I do not disagree with you on the long irons Drew, we have hybrids to replace those. make it a "digger" per say? Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X", Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions), Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X Callaway 2018 MB irons Yes, it is possible to bend the irons 1-2 degrees stronger, but by doing so you would be reducing the effective bounce on the clubs. examples, keep you head down, hit down on the ball, you gotta swing inside out. My advice would be to start by making sure the lofts are set to manufacturers specs. If you're after a driving iron, I would expect you to use it off the tee for the most part. database of over 140,000 golfers and in excess of 250 million shots recorded using performance tracking products such as the unique. If you want to simply hit the ball further, find an iron that launches really high and spins really low, you will knuckle ball the shot a long ways, but odds are you will not be able to control yardages or stop the ball under most conditions. Maybe manufacturers will take note (I doubt it, but keep trying. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. While golf club manufacturers certainly try to make a consistent product, there are often inconsistencies in the lofts and lies of the clubs and they may not be progressively consistent from one club to another. There you can see exactly what it takes to be an average amateur golfer. With added ball speed comes more launch. It will reduce the bounce of the club, but the actual effect will depend on your swing path. This will reduce any penalty shots and subsequently the number of doubles-or-worse in your round. More photos from the event here. I believe that you can't really bend your irons too much but to accommodate I am thinking of bending my AP2s 1 degree stronger and AP3s 1 degree weaker so that I have better gaping. I was 50 yards out on the 3rd hole, and was in the moguls. Youll be amazed at the difference a properly fit set of irons can make to your game. I'm fascinated by your basis for changing the lofts? Even if you want to say a weakened 4 iron is longer in length than a 5 iron of the same loft and therefore goes farther, your gaps in your set will still be equally proportionate. In turn creating around 12 more yds. You might find that you ask yourself if you are better or worse than the average golfer? Golfers who know this information will have a much easier time controlling their ball flight, hitting the center of the clubface more consistently. Adams A12 19 - Fuji HB 80X, PXG 0311X 4 - HZRDUS Red 105 X Hope this Helps! I'm not so much of a digger with long irons, and I thought about getting my rogue 5i bent a degree stronger and not carry a 4. Loft is used to get the irons back to the proper launch window. Pasted as rich text. And yes it is common to not have an iron longer than 6 or 5 for some of these guys because they carry them all the same distance, and then hybrids come into play. Since clubs are bent with iron bars by applying pressure on. For most players the answer is - MORE than we normally can bend static lofts (plus minus 2*) The only way you would see a difference is if you put them side by side with another set of Ap2's that are not bent. Club design of a particular club can be a factor also. Now if you take some of the modern GI irons with the thick sole and rounded leading edge (Infiniti brand Assure comes to mind) you can de loft or strong loft it 3 or 4 degrees with no problem at all. If you are taking big divots with a 2 iron you have some serious problems with your swing. 00bolt, September 12, 2016 in WRX Club Techs. Should I see any difference in 1 degree stronger irons? It has been working really well for me. Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5, Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set. "If you have any doubt about the hand position, think of this scenario. Grant is a big-hitter off the tee, his driving distance ranking being fourth at Bermuda, 16th at the RSM and third at Pebble Beach, whilst he ranked highly for both his driving and greens during his KFT campaign. I should have made the same swing with a 9 iron, to compensate for the lie, but did not. The average golfer leaves 65 percent of all approach shots short of the green. I draw the ball naturally so I dont want too much offset on the clubs, I think it will be easier if I just go and get some wedges to sort out the gapping issue. *Performance average removes all outliers good and bad, to give a distance based on how far a well struck shot will go. I was thinking of bending my irons 3 degrees stronger as my ball flights were too high, but then there would be a big gap to fill between the pitching wedge and the gap wedge, and potentially more side effects of bending the clubs then. This feels like an anyone week the back-nine on Sunday could be fun. The 27-year-old made his way onto the top level by virtue of his performance on the Korn Ferry Tour during the combined Covid seasons, and hes doing a great job in honing his craft. Yes, it is possible to bend the irons 1-2 degrees stronger, but by doing so you would be reducing the effective bounce on the clubs. So to get the most performance out of each iron, for these low ball hitters, we need to add loft. Definitely worth getting L/L check done and adjusted where necessary. Hybrid: Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0, 2 iron: Mizuno MP-20 HMB, Steelfiber i95 S, 39.5", Irons grab bag: 1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 3-AW Pinhawk Vertex irons, Apollo std stepped S I'm guessing it will dig more but how much more? Now as lower handicappers, we will probably not have our hands at impact fluctuating 3, 4 or 6 inches, but I would not say mine are within an inch of exactly the same place every time. Custom Edel E-3 Putter, More than likely you will hit the ball a bit farther as well, potentially close to 1/2 a club. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand. for the better golfer, these lofts leave nothing at the bottom of the bag. TM TPx. So if you are steep or tend to take a pretty good divot, you may not want to bend them more than a degree. probably best to just change the shaft length), You stand tall over the golf ball when swinging, Your golf ball starts towards the right of your target (left for lefties), You hit the golf ball off the toe of the cub more often causing the clubface to open up and create push or slice. You may want to try searching if you need more info. That is why getting the numbers is so important. I've never had a sand wedge bent. Todays golf ball travels farther than ever before and I dont see any need to jack up the short iron lofts. My advice is to get fit as cheaply as you can and find some newer distance irons on Ebay or BST that can fit you. If your intent is to modify them by making them one degree strong, you will be changing the play of the iron, and also the physical appearance possible (could be debatable if the human eye can tell one degree, I'm not sure since I have never had to do this to any of my sets.). Arnold Palmer Invitational 2023 (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS/REFERENCES ***), Custom Ping i230 5-UW KBS Tour R+ Power Spec, G425 3 wood with GD TP, Ping Kaili Shaft,King Tec Hybrid, Jaws Raw & Zipcore Wedge, Airmax 97, Apex UW. May 23, 2016 at 04:54 PM. Even the most skilled repair professionals can occasionally break a club. Being a golf club designer and marketer, I certainly know that there are gains to be made in your efficiency by availing yourself of the right modern equipment. The refit yielded a super driving iron. Hope I did not complicate this any and maybe helped you, Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*--- Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. More is not always better, but I would expect nothing less from a fitter at Carls Golfland. Ordering & Information As far as lofts for amateurs go, I feel like long irons have to little difference between them. Ping Redwood Anser- the "real deal!". Driver: Cobra Amp Cell Pro (8.5 degrees) Shaft: Aldila RIP Phenom 3-wood: Titleist 906F4 (13.5 degrees) Shaft: Aldila NV 7-wood: Michael Hopper whats in the bag accurate as of the WM Phoenix Open. It is common for the golfers I fit to hit todays irons, which average about 2 degrees less loft per club, as high as their current set (if not higher). GolfWRX_Spotted posted a topic in Tour and Pre-Release Equipment, Tuesday at 04:47 PM, GolfWRX_Spotted posted a topic in Tour and Pre-Release Equipment, February 20, GolfWRX_Spotted posted a topic in Tour and Pre-Release Equipment, February 13, GolfWRX_Spotted posted a topic in Tour and Pre-Release Equipment, February 6, GolfWRX_Spotted posted a topic in Tour and Pre-Release Equipment, January 31, By 2023 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Discussion and Links to Photos, 2023 The Honda Classic - Discussion and Links to photos, 2023 Genesis Invitational - Discussion and Links to photos, 2023 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Discussion and Links to Photos, 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am - Discussion and Links to all photos, Fitness, maximum efficiency for the time spent. Uneven lies can vary more than an inch, and based on club geometry that is 1.6* right there, and I can't say I had much effect on the playability of the club. After the death of his mother, Endycott understandably struggled through the late teens, understandably saying that, At the time, golf didnt really matter to me.. Bending 2* strong will increase the clubs digging tendencies. Are their ways to ensure a club wont break? Reduce the loft & you reduce the bounce which, on the longer clubs, is quite small anyway. That would depend on what GI head design you have and to be quite honest the only way to be sure would be to test these irons on a golf radar. I play high bounce Ping G30's and have bent some of the clubs in that set that strong. This could cause them to dig at impact, and no one wants that. The bounce will be irrelevant to begin with in that case anyway. Fitters have to find some way to raise their ball flight, because those golfers lack the speed necessary to get the best results from many modern iron heads. We're not robotic enough to predict that exactly 3 or 4 degrees is the correct gap empirically. Surely getting consistent results and regular yardage gaps between clubs is more important than shooting for some ideal stats that may go against your natural swing? Here are common ball flight issues if you are playing the wrong lie angle: Unfortunately, club manufacturing companies sometimes use different lie angles for their clubs. A good tune-up is a good tune-up regardless of the final loft gaps. Whether its changing the lie to improve accuracy or changing loft to make sure that the players clubs are progressively consistent, angle bending is a major factor in club performance. Show Your True Colors With Mitchell Golfs Custom Color Program. I know for people with slower swing speeds these crazy lofted, ultimate SGI irons are perfect. I am constantly amazed at how many golfers are trying to play the game with a fundamentally unsound hold of the club. I couldn't agree more, they are a thing of beauty but also of art, it'll change the effect the way the club goes through the turf, I've lost some distance using these because I was hitting the new T-MB which 3 iron went a mile, but the 3 iron in the MB's is what dreams are made of, way easy to hit and launch, I wouldn't want to mess with it, that being said I did increase the lie up 2 degrees for my swing:). It is hard for some golfers to understand how irons with more loft can help them hit the ball farther, and this is understandable. Dont worry and overthink this like most doo. We also see these players having gapping issues with a mid iron, not just 4 and 5 like your example, so adding loft achieves better gapping as well. If a golfer was a digger, will he/she still get somewhat better turf interaction with the GI irons vs. with a players irons? To do this, simply Google, Golf Club Fitters Near Me and you will get a great list of places that will make sure you are playing the right lie angle for your game. Brilliant information ! By NYonce. Where Can You Get Your Lie Angle Adjusted, Should You Use Heavier Shafts in Wedges? So it doesnt matter to me what loft a golfers 6 iron is, as long as that loft allows a golfer to launch and spin the ball in a way thats ideal for their swing. All very well getting consistent loft gaps if your distance gaps are varied. From my research into various golfer communities, it is highly likely that if you are reading this blog post you probably are playing to somewhere between a 5 and 16 handicap. Display as a link instead, In 11 starts since gaining his place at the top level, the 26-year-old has made four cuts, including a first-time-out 12th at the Fortinet, 10th in Bermuda (led after a first round 62), 22nd at the American Express 7th after day one) and top-30 at the Plantation Course last week.