Photo courtesy of Wasatch Academy Basketball. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. Why did you cut your hair, and would you like to announce that you will be growing it back in this interview? I understood that I couldnt keep my super long hair, but at the same time I cut it a little shorter it also shows Im just ready to commit to this program and Im ready to be a student-athlete at BYU, Lohner said. I enjoyed every second of it. I am absolutely exhausted by the NCAAM off-season folks. All rights reserved. Mitch Harper is a BYU Insider for KSLsports.com and host of the Cougar Tracks Podcast (SUBSCRIBE) and Cougar Sports Saturday (Saturday from 12-3 pm) on KSL Newsradio. Wasatch Academy High School 4-star recruit Caleb Lohner originally signed with Utah back in November. I think it will be a really cool and interesting experience just because of who I am. Lohner already trimmed his long locks a bit, but he may need to visit a barber one more time before school starts again. 2 Gonzaga on Thursday night, Turnovers prove costly in 69-67 loss to Vanderbilt in Diamond Head Classic Semi-Final, BYU prevails in defensive slugfest with 54-39 win over South Florida, Cougars' hot shooting downs Aggies 82-71 at home Wednesday, Cougars bounce back with physical win over Missouri State, 74-68, Cougars take down Central Methodist 97-61 in second straight 30-point win, BYU starts slow, finishes fast to take down Colorado Christian 63-45, BYU picked No. Caleb Lohner Talks Gritty Play, Living With Joy, Well Rounded Interests, and Excitement to be a Bear. Caleb Lohner (33) Forward - 6-foot-8 transfer forward from BYU Led the Bears with 6.6 rebounds per game in five games at GLOBL JAM Averaged 7.0 points and 6.7 In: F Jalen Bridges (West Virginia); Caleb Lohner (BYU). Could you just talk us through your high school career a little bit? Brigham Young Cougars forward Caleb Lohner (33) grabs a rebound away from Long Beach State 49ers guard Colin Slater (14) during an NIT game at the Marriott Center in Provo on Wednesday, March 16, 2022. All rights reserved. What do you hope your brothers see in you as a player and as a man that they can look up to? * 21+ (19+ CA-ONT) (18+ NH/WY). Lohner averaged seven points and 6.4 rebounds per game last season, and hes a Dallas, Texas native, so hes coming closer to home, as Waco is about a 90-minute drive. sweet hair is a one way . In: F Tre King (Georgetown), F Hason Ward (VCU), G Jeremiah Williams (Temple). Prior to playing at Wasatch Academy here in Utah, Lohner prepped at Flower Mound High School in Texas where he gained a cult following in basketball recruiting circles for his pure shooting form. Lohner, who averaged 15 points and six rebounds per game for Wasatch Academy, should be able to make an impact right away on a talented BYU roster that includes Purdue transfer Matt Haarms, UVU transfer Brandon Averette, Gonzaga transfer Jesse Wade, as well as return players like Alex Barcello, Gavin Baxter and Connor Harding. So . Ive been in blue my whole life. Its not true.. Also had a double-double at home against Loyola Marymount with 13 points and 11 rebounds, Had seven games with 10 or more rebounds including a career-high 14 at the Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic against South Florida. Caleb Lohner (@C_Lohner11) June 27, 2020 Lohner is the son of former BYU basketball player Matt Lohner. And if he felt like for some reason that at the last minute there was a better place for him, I think that is the direction college basketball is going in, I think we are going to see transfers not having to sit, Krystkowiak said. A11) I mean I wear 33, I look like Larry Bird, I love the way Larry Bird plays. But at the end of the day, Im where I want to be.. Matt Lohner played at BYU for Roger Reid in 1991-92 and 1994-96 and yes, Lohner's parents are active members in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but Lohner said his father has . 4-star recruit was released from letter of intent with Utah. Iron Maiden returns to Utah in 2022 with The Legacy of the Beast tour. At the time my mind just didnt want to go back to Texas. For the loyal ODBers please see below, the hair was immaculate. Baylor started recruiting me when I came to an elite camp they ran. Who is new Runnin Ute Keba Keita and how is Utahs 2022-23 roster shaping up? PROVO, Utah (ABC4 Sports) The top high school basketball player in the state has switched allegiances, and now he is explaining why. Iron Maiden returns to Utah in 2022 with The Legacy of the Beast tour. Last season as a Sophomore Lohner played in 35 games for BYU, starting in 31. Lohner is a high IQ player on defense. But now I have found my niche cutting, being a great rebounder, guarding the ball, being a tough hard nosed dude for Baylor is what I am trying to do right now.. Lohner has everything that Baylor Nation will love on the court. The coaches want to be better for us, we want to be better for each other for this team, the GAs are working for everyone in this program. Out: C Davion Bradford, G Maximus Edwards, C Kaosi Ezeagu, G Drew Honas, G Luke Kasubke, F Logan Landers, F Seryee Lewis (Rice), F Carlton Linguard (UTSA), G Selton Miguel, F Montavious Murphy (Stephen F. Austin), G Nijel Pack (Miami FL). After his Friday night announcement, BYU fans were excited about the potential impact the talented freshman could have this season. Everyone is on the same page and on this journey together. BYUs Caleb Lohner, right, strips the ball from St. Johns Julian Champagnie, left, during ngame Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2020, in Uncasville, Conn. Lohner will face Utah, the team he originally committed to, Saturday night in the Marriott Center. After his Friday night announcement, BYU fans were excited about the potential impact the talented freshman could have this season. The long road to BYU: Why Caleb Lohner ultimately chose the Cougars over Utah, before having a change of heart and receiving a release from the school. And youre going to be at this school for a certain amount of time. He wanted me to be happy and he wanted me to be successful. Caleb Lohner is coming to Baylor from BYU, a future Big 12 rival. You can learn more about Pete by visiting his personal website: PeteMundo.com. But Caleb said his dad did not influence his decision. In: G SirJabari Rice (New Mexico State). One day after news surfaced about BYU 's Caleb Lohner, along with teammate Gideon George, entering the NCAA transfer portal, Lohner turned to social . Well see, Lohner said. As a senior at Wasatch Academy, Lohner averaged 14.3 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 1.7 APG, and 1.3 SPG. But what about the hair? Caleb Lohner became the second forward to commit to transferring to Baylor basketball this week, making his announcement to join the Bears on Friday. (Photo courtesy of Wasatch Academy) Caleb Lohner (41) during his junior year at Wasatch Academy. Lohner has good recovery speed to help defend and block shots. A3) I think the overall level of competitive basketball and training. Something to note, a potential reason for the shooting . Caleb Lohner Talks Gritty Play, Living With Joy, Well Rounded Interests, and Excitement to be a Bear. 33, Caleb When I made my decision, there were so many pushing and pulling factors, that ultimately I didnt make the decision that I wanted to do, Lohner said on a Zoom interview with ABC4. Athletic Background. Lohner, who played for BYU for two seasons, has three years of eligibility remaining. He went 0-for-4 from the field, and 0-for-3 from 3, in BYUs 74-70 loss to Boise State on Wednesday. Caleb Lohner has not only committed to BYU on paper, but hes found another way to show his commitment to the Cougars following a release from Utah that left Larry Krystkowiak blindsided. Lohner is extremely unselfish and makes his teammates better. Made in Belgium, this double has classic design features. Out: F Tristan Enaruna (Cleveland State) C Xavier Foster, F Blake Hinson (Pittsburgh), G Tyrese Hunter, G Tre Jackson (Western Carolina), F Javan Johnson (DePaul), G Jaden Walker (East Carolina). What does appear to be true is that Lohner called Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak late last week asking to get released from his letter of intent. Regardless of Lohners hairstyle, BYU head coach Mark Pope and his staff are probably just thrilled to have Caleb part of their program after he wasreleased from his NLI with the University of Utah. Lohner averaged 7.0 PPG, 6.4 RPG, and 1.1 APG. Like if you were theoretically stuck on a desert island what is the one passion or hobby you would bring for the rest of your life? I found this little space and niche where my mind just flourishes. The concerning statistic is that he shot only 55% from the free throw line and 21% from three. So Lohner showed off the new hairstyle via his personal social media. AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, (select parishes), MD, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY, CA-ONT only.Eligibility restrictions apply. The Bears won the 2021 national championship, and were a [] I didnt necessarily make the choice in my heart of what I wanted to do. You got to take care of your school, take care of the media, take care of all these things; and then you have the on the court aspect. This has been a very difficult decision for me, but I believe it is the right one for me at this time. Everybody is on this journey together to be better. Having a guy like that in your locker room makes it fun every single day. Lohner really cant wait to play for Cougars head coach Mark Pope. Q5) Are there any of the teammates or coaches that you still keep in touch with that were instrumental to your growth and your time at Wasatch? BYU's Gideon George (right) is helped from the floor by teammate Caleb Lohner after scoring a basket against Northern Iowa in a NIT second round game at the Marriott Center on Saturday, March 19 . BYUs Dress and Grooming standards within the Honor Code wouldnt allow for Lohner to keep his hair as is, which was shoulder-length throughout much of his time at Wasatch Academy. SIC EM! We have discussed everything that Lohner does on the court, and I fully expect Baylor Nation to fall in love with this guy. Lohner averaged 7.0 PPG, 6.4 RPG, and 1.1 APG. A1) The original reason I cut my hair is when I went to BYU they have an honor code and a dress code. PROVO, Utah Caleb Lohner announcing he was signing with BYU was another big addition to the Cougars 2020 recruiting class. But I think for me and my overall joy and journey, Baylor ended up being the perfect spot for me. He used to have absolutely incredible hair. The final slate of Big 12 regular season games before the conference tournament! Weight: 235. I know I sound like a super hippy or whatever right now but its true. While the offer came from then-coach Dave Rose, Pope continued recruiting Lohner in high school after the former Utah Valley coach took over the BYU program in April of 2018. Lohner is coming to Baylor after starting his career at BYU, and is sure to make an impact immediately. Cox has tapped Duchesne County Commissioner Gregory Todd as his new energy advisor and director of the Office of Energy Development, an agency within the Department of Natural Resources. Q12) In your intro video that Baylor basketball put out on social media you mention how important your family is to you and being the oldest brother. I expect Lohner to play much better as a Bear, operating in space with Baylors three or four guard lineup. He got to see that firsthand and hopefully walk away with some insights. Baylor Bears 2022-23 Mens Basketball Schedule, Results, Baylor Bears 2022-23 Womens Basketball Schedule, Results, Nijel Pack Announces That He Will Transfer To Miami, ESPN Projects Seven Big 12 Mens Teams for 2023 NCAA Tournament. Offensively, hes going to continue to be a work in progress. Before BYU His father Matt Lohner played basketball at BYU (1991-92, 94-96) Instagram: @caleb.lohner | Twitter: @caleblohner | LinkedIn: Caleb Lohner Before BYU Played for Dave Evans at Wasatch Academy as a junior and senior from 2018-20 As a senior in 2019-20, helped lead the Tigers to a record of 27-2 while averaging 14.5 points, 5.8 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.3 If somebody doesnt want to be a part of this program, thats not my concern, Ute forward Timmy Allen said this week. Caleb is hilarious. Caleb Lohner scores 20, BYU men's basketball . He said, Caleb, if you want to go to Utah, Ill support you 100 percent. That was the end of the conversation. I love Caleb.. @BYUbasketball pic.twitter.com/e5iF2GUV2u, Caleb Lohner (@C_Lohner11) June 27, 2020. I anticipate he will shoot better in Baylors offense where he will have more clean looks and space to operate. But I love his defensive effort right now. Out: G Francisco Farabello (Creighton), G Cashius McNeilly (Northern Oklahoma College-Tonkawa), Out: G Devin Askew, F Tre Mitchell, G Courtney Ramey, F Jaylon Tyson (Texas Tech). While now clean shaven and sporting bleached blonde hair, the beloved former reserve sported a highlighted mohawk/mullet hybrid hairstyle and heavy mustache his senior year. He is quick in the paint and has great footwork. Lohner followed former West Virginia forward Jalen Bridges, who committed to the Bears earlier this week. I was fortunate enough to play with players who were at a similar level when it comes to playing competitive basketball. The Honor Code states hairstyles for men should be clean and neat. I wont claim to be a hairstylist as a man who had a buzz cut till I met my now wife nine years ago. High School: Wasatch Academy. He declared earlier this week but retains his final year of eligibility. . As the son of a former BYU basketball player, Matt Lohner, Caleb grew up a Cougar fan. Lohner is 6 8 235 lbs. Jaren Hall credited his faith in helping him be the best football player he could be during an interview at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine. If your child will play baseball or softball this spring, youll need to stock up on appropriate clothing and equipment. VividSeats. Latest on Baylor Bears forward Caleb Lohner including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on ESPN and can play any of the 3, 4, or 5. Lohner has exploded onto the basketball scene in his first year at BYU and is an integral part of the team's success. And then gradually throughout the year, I kind of thought about that decision and then ultimately made the choice of where I wanted to go.. Caleb Lohner is coming to Baylor from BYU, a future Big 12 rival. Career Stats. Lohner has good court vision and is a solid decision maker and passer. I just want guys that want to be here. You know when you play at a prep school it just comes with a little bit more media. Going into training camp last September, Lohner was getting minutes as a center in BYUs rotation. He learned a lot of lessons in the Utah State game about rebounding from Justin Bean, whos one of the most surprisingly effective guys on the glass in the country, Pope said. Q9) Alright back to hoops for a bit, you had a couple of good seasons at BYU before entering the transfer portal. Removing female facial hair while using retinoid anti-aging or acne products can lead to abrasions, infection and even scarring, so be sure to do your homework before trying a wax.