If stomach upset occurs, try giving the medication with food. In that case, you can skip the missed dose. With Amoxicillin taking expired ones would just mean they might not work, other antibiotics, like the tetracyclines can actually cause kidney damage if they are old. Be sure to use and care for your pets medication responsibly, and when in doubt, throw it out! Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections. A large and important part of the immune system is located in the gut. Obviously for very small or very large cats this dose needs to be adjusted at a veterinarian's recommendation. In these cases you will need to go to the veterinarian to stop the effects or even a veterinary hospital in case of emergency. Copyright 2022 by FelineLiving.net -Designed by Thrive Themes by Firstly, thanks so much for being a caretaker for a feral cat population. Neurologic changes, like an inability to walk normally (termed ataxia) have been reported in dogs, as well as elevated heart rate and breathing changes. This being the law and all that. The best thing is to have your kitty checked by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Cat sized doses can be bought at pet supply stores. Is Amoxicillin something you should give your cat? Make sure to keep all the medicine away from the children and your pet reach. Incorrectly giving any medicine to your pet will harm more than benefit. Ive noticed for the past few weeks that he has right in the corner of his lip an Infection with pus (only in on side), some days it gets better and not even noticeable and the other days it get worse, It appeared out of no where I dont know from where did he get it (maybe he got into a fight) since he is an outdoor cat and plays alot with other cats in the neighborhood, the problem is When I saw it today it looked bad and very concerning because the infection is getting bigger and the side of the lip and the skin around it looks like its getting eaten up or (erosion) and there is pus + now when he closes his mouth normally you can see part of his tooth (because some of the skin is gone from the infection as I mentioned before) I wish I could show you a picture to make what Ive said clear. The recommended dosage is 50 mg (510 mg/lb) once a day. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Yesterday's Morning Edition on NPR featured Joanne Silberner's report on human drugs and their expiration dates. All she does is sleep. Regular use of probiotics for cats can prevent digestive issues and ease symptoms like vomiting, stomach irritation, constipation, and diarrhea. Question 1: Is this really recommended? Catheterization, medication and special food are indicated. For others, though, dates on food and other items are viewed as merely a suggestion. Potential Side Effects Outdoor feline explorers are often more prone to catching illnesses as they may rummage through trash and dirt. If not 50mg available, open the 250 mg capsule and divide it into fifths. color: #fff; Therefore, probiotics for cats also help support healthier immunity. Interestingly, the labeled dosage for cats for amoxicillin calls for giving it just once a day. Then, put one-fifth in the cats food. Image from Instagram:@petdiseasealerts It would be prudent not to give your dog any human amoxicillin. Therefore, probiotics for cats also help support healthier immunity. Make sure to follow your veterinarians prescription to avoid health complications. Yes and no. Oral amoxicillin, like many broad-spectrum antibiotics, can alter the normal, beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract, which is often a cause of digestive upset if it occurs. Please note that the above Amoxicillin for cats dosage Chart is well researched but can only be used for educational purposes and will not replace your veterinarian prescription and advice. Because people probably store animal medications even more carelessly than their own, and 2. flex-basis: 50%; However, there is a risk that antimicrobial resistance will mean antibiotics will be less effective in the future to the point that animals will be much more susceptible to infection. Which is why I took a look at a local hospital's Rx labels (from a patient who had been transferred that morning). Turns out that my veterinary hospital employer follows the pharmacy rules. Our customer service department gets a lot of emails from cat lovers about every type of question you can imagine about cats. The most commonly used Amoxicillin medicine for cats is amoxicillin-clavulanate brand Clavamox. Copyright 1999 - 2023. I dont know. It does so by blocking bacteria's protein-creating process, a process on which the bacteria depend for survival. While some respiratory infections are caused by viruses, many are at least compounded by bacterial infections. Clinical and in vitro efficacy of amoxicilin against bacteria associated with feline skin wounds and abscesses. As this is too late to be of use, I hope your cat survived. Each individual drug has its own unique shelf life determined by the manufacturer. Allergic reactions are not as common as with people. As with any medication, there is a possibility of side effects. This short-acting medication should stop working within 24 hours, although effects can be longer in pets with liver or kidney disease. However, since kittens are vulnerable and are yet to establish a clinical history, a veterinarian will need to determine the right course of action. Speaking with your own vet is usually best to best understand the rationale for certain decisions. Generally, an antibiotic injection is fast acting, which means it might help your pet feel better soon after she receives the shot. Reading this article until the end will solve all your queries about using this antibiotic drug for your kitty. Copyright 2023 Upgrade Your Cat | UpgradeYourCat.com | As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. We look at what cases the antibiotic may be administered by understanding the uses, dosage and side effects of the drug. This is the safest way to use the expiration dates on the package. Turns out I was right. line-height: 50px; Hopefully, there may be a vet in your area that could help provide some more specific guidance. Ill try to be objective and impartial with my answers, since its always important to realize that any medical situation can vary quite a lot from patient to patient. DONT skip doses or fail to use the entire course of antibiotics as prescribed to your cat. Antibiotics, including amoxicillin, can cause a range of side effects for cats. This is a problem in both human and veterinary medicine. If you want to read similar articles to Can You Give Cats Amoxicillin? padding: 15px 5px 15px 5px; Today it isn't used as commonly. Giving Amoxicillin to your cat without your veterinarians prescription is not considered safe and ideal. If my pet was REALLY ill then I would NOT use any expired medication. As a bactericidal antibiotic, amoxicillin works to kill bacteria associated with upper respiratory infections, urinary tract infections, and more. Furthermore, Amoxicillin is only effective for specific bacteria. Tetracycline for cats is a multipurpose antibiotic typically available as a capsule or tablet. Anyhow, online says Cats: The recommended dosage is 50 mg (510 mg/lb) once a day. Your email address will not be published. If your vet is truly not accessible for two weeks, and especially if signs of urinary irritation or pain are present, I would highly suggest looking into other nearby practices that have openings in the meantime as soon as possible or any urgent care/ER locations that could see you and your cat sooner. Dr. Vanderhoof lives in the Northern Virginia area with his family, including 3 cats. So while amoxicillin is not in itself a toxin, if you suspect your kitty has ingested an overdose of her own amoxicillin or possibly any prescribed for you or a family member at home, always notify your veterinarian and/or get in touch with Animal Poison Control to determine what steps may need to be taken. Here's what the pharmacy profession (staunch supporter of the regulation) argues: Because we don't test drugs at the time of dispensing, we don't know whether they're still as good as the manufacturers say they are. Salivation in excess. They may have you get it filled at a human pharmacy like Walgreens. margin-bottom: 20px; It also belongs to a group of antibiotics known as aminopenicillins and their effect is bactericidal, killing a large range of bacteria, but not all of them. -Indoor Cat lives with 2 other cats I also noticed a jelly like bloody discharge in her urine (a little amount but its definitely there). } Your Veterinarian can better decide about the safe dose of any medication, including Amoxicillin for cats, after observing your feline physically. Hey doctor, I hope you are having a great day, Often extra-label higher doses are used by vets. Giving the medicine in the safe amount will not harm your kitty, however amoxicillin can cause the below mentioned side effects in your tom or queen. This commentary allows vets to say what they think and give you, the pet owner, the opportunity to consider another view. If your January purge includes decluttering your medicine cabinet, you might find yourself wondering how important those dates stamped on various pharmaceuticals really are. That's wasteful! These include vomiting, diarrhea, or just a softer stool. Make sure to wash your hands before and after giving the medication. Your email address will not be published. If any drug is administered improperly, it can have adverse side effects, even antibiotics. Amoxicillin may be used for infections of the respiratory tract, urinary tract and bladder, some gastrointestinal infections, and infections of the skin and soft tissues. Your email address will not be published. In an effort to simplify things for folks, a veterinarian may not communicate his or her full thought process, which can sometimes lead to misunderstandings. All medications have an expiration date on their label. Giving an antibiotic willy nilly or stopping short of the whole course can prove far worse than not using antibiotics at all. No matter whether it is given orally or topically, tetracycline destroys bacterial infections. Before you just toss them in the trash, refer to the. It Might Be Time for a Pet Diet Change, Thanksgiving Food for Pets: What to Avoid and What to Share, Not So Fun in the Sun: Dog Skin Issues You May Encounter This Summer, Contribution to problems, such as antibiotic resistance (hint: you should never have leftover antibiotics if using as prescribed), Over-the-counter and prescription medication exposure are a common cause of pet (and people) poisonings, Septic tanks and sewage treatment plants are unequipped to remove all pharmaceutical residues from the water. You might need to repeat blood tests to check for this type of disease process. Answer: Only if Approved by Your Vet Amoxicillin specifically targets certain strains of bacteria and therefore is not prescribed for all kinds of infections. A Last Recourse Prescribed by Veterinarian Newborn kittens are susceptible to antibiotics. They look for white blood cells and bacteria in her urine. But it's not fair! @media screen and (max-width:1024px) { It can also cause bacterial resistance to develop. Because amoxicillin-clavulanate, commonly known as the brand Clavamox, has a broader spectrum of action against some bacteria, it is more commonly used than regular amoxicillin, especially for cats. I feed ten feral cats friskies canned cat food. Always consult with us before starting your pet on anything. Always make sure to give an antibiotic prescribed by your vet for the full number of days indicated, even if your kitty looks like hes feeling better. -Urine does not have the strong urea smell or discoloration color: #fcb040!important; Make sure to give any medication to your kitty with vet advice only. In short, what your veterinarian prescribes! (2007). The same basic effects of the drug work on cats and can be used to treat a wide variety of ailments, which we detail below. Read more here. Hi Dr. Chris, Cats should never be given Amoxicillin prescribed for human use, however convenient it may be for pet owners. Ironically, a fungal or yeast infection may develop. This educational content is not veterinary advice and does not replace consultation with a qualified veterinarian. Unfortunately its not clear that your cat truly has a UTI with what youve described, or that a UTI if present, is the only issue your cat has. Yes Epi-pens (epinephrine injections for anaphylaxis), for example. With Amoxicillin taking expired ones would just mean they might not work, other antibiotics, like the tetracyclines can actually cause kidney damage if they are old. Email: info@animalmedical.net. Though I'd never heard of this law, it seems pharmacists are required to attach a one-year expiration date to all of the drugs they dispense. You can give your cat Fish Mox (50mg 2-3 times per day). I dont want my cat to develop urosepsis. Once a month I open two fish amoxcillin capsules and blend it in with their food. Amoxicillin typically comes in both a liquid form as an oral suspension as well as tablet form. As the NPR report finally concluded, there's no need to trifle with meds that potentially offer immediate, life-saving benefits. WebIt is unusual for a cat to have high blood pressure in isolation from something like chronic kidney disease. Although you have treated for some worms, there is no catch-all dewormer. In that case, you can skip the missed dose. Make sure to follow your veterinarians prescription to avoid health complications. This could mean that if one of the kitties truly became ill, a medication like Amoxi-Drops or Clavamox may not be as effective as it would otherwise be. Image from Instagram:@petdiseasealerts It would be prudent not to give your dog any human amoxicillin. This is because they are more likely to get into fights with other cats or injure themselves on hazardous material leading to an infected wound. Disposing of drugs, particularly controlled substances, is not always straightforward. It can also cause bacterial resistance to develop. In this case, we may think giving amoxicillin to the cat will be beneficial. As you alluded to, this is primarily to reduce the risk of regurgitation or aspiration during a procedure, since the pet cannot swallow on their own. View all posts by Dr. Chris Vanderhoof, DVM, MPH, Marbofloxacin For Cats: Overview, Dosage & Side Effects, L-lysine For Cats: Overview, Dosage & Side Effects, Lactulose For Cats: Overview, Dosage & Side Effects, Solensia For Cats: Overview, Dosage & Side Effects, New Research Proves Owning A Cat Is Good For Your Heart, 10 Proven Ways To Show Your Cat You Love Her, Is Your Cat Lonely? This makes it more important to keep close tabs on the the expiration date. Most oral pills or capsules expire in 1 to 2 years from date of manufacturing. Your veterinarian may help prescribe the antibiotic dose for your kitty after observing physically. - Uses, Dosage and Side Effects, Metoclopramide for Cats - Dosage, Uses and Side Effects, Contraindications of amoxicillin for cats, Doxycycline for Cats - Dosage, Uses and Side Effects, Cephalexin for Cats - Uses, Dosage and Side Effects, Amitraz for Dogs - Uses, Dosage and Side Effects, Famotidine for Cats - Uses, Dosage and Side Effects. The Pros of Antibiotic Injections for Cats. It is also one of the most commonly used antibiotics in the world. flex-direction: column; WebIf you still have a to wait a few days to see the vet I would go to a local pet store and find some probiotics or Bene-Bac to add to what he's eating It'll help provide beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract that may have been lost due to the over use of antibiotics, this is probably causing the loose stool, but a vet would dive deeper into But blood tests only reveal evidence of kidney failure in pets once 72% or more of the kidneys have been lost. If you miss a dose, give it to your cat unless it's almost time for the next dose. When give to a vulnerable kitten, the risk is even higher. Only stop the antibiotic with your vets prescription to avoid antibiotic resistance. It is not appropriate to medicate the cat with amoxicillin of our own volition. And get this they're legally enjoined to do so regardless of the manufacturer's expiration dates. Most veterinarians treat for at least seven to ten days. Doing so frequently can make the medication ineffective. Your local environmental authorities, department of public health, or DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) can also be helpful in determining the best way to dispose of expired medications. Some last a very long time, up to several years. An extended treatment with antibiotics can lead to yeast infections, especially if the cats immune system is That is the human form of amoxicillin with clavulanic acid. The reason is that it will lose its potency over time, and it may even cause your symptoms to worsen. Cats should never be given Amoxicillin prescribed for human use, however convenient it may be for pet owners. Amoxicillin administered to humans is very different from the veterinary formulation.This variation arises from the chemical components used in making human-grade amoxicillin that can be toxic to canines.These chemicals include They can come as tablets, in liquid form, drops, cream or an injection. .medication-table h2{ But this is not a medication that will last long. Expiration dates on drugs exist to help keep you and your pet healthier and happy. Read between the lines: We don't want to be legally responsible. Please correct me if I am wrong. Our veterinarian will decide on the most suitable administration method and an injectable form is also available. Before you use any liquid medication make sure that the color is the same and there are no abnormalities. I cant comment more as its impossible for me to know if this is a typical delay in healing that can be seen with nail trauma even without infection present, or something more concerning. But Im also concerned that treating with an antibiotic alone could be missing something more important thats going on here. Often extra-label higher doses are used by vets. For this reason, amoxicillin prescriptions for kittens are fairly common. Therefore, its always important for a vet to decide if use of an antibiotic is warranted. Amoxicillin is not poisonous to cats, is very safe at prescribed doses, and side effects are uncommon. The reason is that it will lose its potency over time, and it may even cause your symptoms to worsen. If your kitty is dealing with a very concerning infection, your vet may, for example, recommend starting a probiotic as opposed to discontinuing an antibiotic. Amoxicillin for cats, also known as aminopenicillin, is a well-known antibiotic medication mainly used to treat bacterial infections such as urinary tract, respiratory tract, gastrointestinal infections, and skin issues, such as acute moist dermatitis and pyoderma in felines. Share Improve this answer Follow answered Apr 22, 2017 at 17:55 Harry V. 5,989 2 16 35 Oral amoxicillin, like many broad-spectrum antibiotics, can alter the normal, beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract, which is often a cause of digestive upset if it occurs. Here is some information about the expirations of some medications types: The expiration of a medication varies based on several factors including the type of medication and the manufacturer. Since every cat is an individual, each cat will respond differently to amoxicillin. If our cat is taking any other medication or has any underlying medical condition, the veterinarian needs to be informed. The bacteria then die. If a medication is past the expiration date determined by the manufacturer, it is best not to use it. } Click to attach a photo related to your comment, Can You Give Cats Amoxicillin? I always save the last couple doses whenever I am prescribed them. The bacteria typically found in your cat's airways is often sensitive to amoxicillin, making it a great choice for your kitty's illness. However, its really important to make sure it is only used when dispensed or prescribed by a veterinarian, and that all prescribing instructions are followed. Abscesses are swollen regions of infected tissue within a pet or person. Antibiotics are slowly losing their effectiveness, this is called antibiotic resistance. While there are many medicines suitable for human use which are unsuitable for cats, amoxicillin is not one of them. She has also been grunting a lot. Cholesterol, while sometimes relevant for our patients, is far less relevant compared to people, as pets do not develop the same type of diseases from high cholesterol, like atherosclerosis and risk for heart attacks. WebAntibiotics for cats. Medication Type: It is always best to seek our help before starting your pet on any medication. | 9 Reasons Explained, Maine Coon Breeders Nova Scotia | Kittens & Cats for Sale. Still, there's one caveat. By that, I assume youre referring to intestinal worms like roundworms, hookworms, or tapeworms, which these kitties could certainly have. Get it on Chewy Clavamox (Amoxicillin + Clavulanic Acid). It is not wise to rely on the drugs appearance to assess whether or not it is still good. The tablets come in a variety of sizes: 62.5 milligrams, 125 milligrams, 250 milligrams, and 375 milligrams. The liquid is a 62.5 milligrams per milliliter suspension. Shes been urinating in the shower and has a little blood during urination. It can be nearly impossible to tell when the chemical stability of a product is altered. Longer than 2 years, then Id replace. A typical example is rhinotracheitis in cats. The labelled dosage of Clavamox for UTI in cats is 62.5 mg per cat twice daily for 10-14 days.