This historical mystery chapter book grabbed my attention from the first page with memorable characters and an interesting plot. And they dont reappear. And except for the fact that Patches himself had become Smashies new archenemy. Patches, naturally, is her classs best hamster, and Smashie is rather, distraught about his disappearance. If thats true, 6s days are numbered. As you may have guessed, the book titles in this series follow the alphabet: The Absent Author, The Bald Bandit, The Canary Caper, etc. Fans of the mystery genre love how a good mystery makes them think. Dont miss the second book in the seires, Like Father, Like Son. (This is part of a mystery chapter book series, but you can read it out of order.). You knowthe one you started singing as soon as you read the title, and dont you deny it! The secret poem pen pal and a mysterious labyrinth give it a mystery vibe though. The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency The Case of the Missing Moonstoneby Jordan Stratford, illustrated by Kelly Murphy I LOVE this fantastically developed historical fiction story for several reasons the girl-centric history is really interesting (and empowering), the characters are very well-developed, and the plot is a grand adventure! It hooks you from the first page. As a book fiend with over a dozen books on my "must read" list, there are times where I'm like, "To hell with it!" Minerva and her friends not only run off the imposters but discover answers about Minervas past. When Eddies dad becomes the primary suspect in the theft of a stolen Mayan mask so, Eddie and Jonah decide to solve the mystery themselves. When one of her customers is accused of murder, Isabel decides to investigate and prove the womans innocence. Basil E. Frankweiler, Smashie McPerter and the Mystery of Room 11, The Bestselling Fantasy Books of All Time, The Nobel Prize In Literature Winners You Need to Read, Should You Buy That? This is the second book in the Dear Mrs. Larue series about a dog named Ike Larue with a knack for mad-cap hijinx. Then disaster strikes amidst the festivities: someone has eaten the lavish birthday feast! They decide theyre going to nab themselves a bank robber but get in the way of the police. He and his new friend Claire decide to investigate the secret of the ghost. I love that this mystery story is filled with information about Kahlo (my favorite artist) and has so much Mexican cultural richness from mariachis to paletas. If you kid loves this, check out the other four books in the series onEpic. Signed first editions of Angels & Demons. The kids go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened to succeed. Mac Undercover (Kid Spy #1)by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Mike Lowery This funny adventure is about a kid who the queen of England uses to solve an important mysteryYoull need to withhold disbelief, or at least I did, but its super cute and popular with many younger readers. She meets the famous woman reporter, Maude Collier, and two new friends who all are important to solving the case. Rescue Princesses by Paula HarrisonThese princesses love animals and solve mysteries. Legend has it that two people visiting the town of Shady Oaks went missing one day, only to turn up in old photographs on display, seemingly frozen in time. The line drawing illustrations are lovely and helpful in understanding the developing plot. My personal favorite is. I love, love, love that he never begins a case before stopping for a snack and how laborious an effort it is for him to put on pants. Soon the contents (some hurtful, though true) make their way to her friendsawkward! and go from therethere are 25+ books in this series, plenty of leads to pursue! Kids love to read about Kinajous! Alas, I bring you this spot-on, punny piece of plot-summary perfection from the authors website: Word on the street is that 7 ate 9. Open 8AM-4.30PM icknield way, letchworth; matching family dinosaur swimsuits; roblox furry accessories; can i use my venus credit card at lascana; who is the most humble player in the world; But their mission changes after the doctor goes missing from their research vessel. If your children or students havent yet read the mystery genre, these are fun reads because theyre so immersive and engaging. In Sherlock Sam and the Missing Heirloom in Katong, Sherlock & friends set out to find his aunties stolen cookbook. $32.36 $35.96. Sherlock Sam and the Ghostly Moans in Fort Canning by A.J. The Great Shelby Holmes by Elizabeth Eulberg I loved this Sherlock-inspired book because its very well written and tells agreat story. In this beautifully illustrated picture bookseriously, the detail in these drawings is stunningHorace the elephant throws himself an extravagant costume party to celebrate his eleventh birthday. Young readerscan join this doggie duo in getting to the bottom of whats really going on in this seriously cutechildrens book. The list of books starts with beginning chapter books for children ages 6, 7, and 8, then continues to middle-grade books for readers ages 9, 10, 11, and 12, and finishes with YA books for teen readers ages 13 and up. Follow her adventures in the 17 other books in this series. You can view movies and shows in one place and filter by streaming provider, genre, release year, runtime, and rating (Rotten Tomatoes, Imdb, and/or Metacritic). He proves to be every bit as helpful. Success! This series combines mystery, history, magic, and adventure as siblings Jack and Annie adventure through time. Filled with sight gags and lovable characters, this is a fun, hilarious intro to the rest of the series. The series features 26 books, one for each letter of the alphabet. Who is the pug? In. Right now, the Black Rot is killing the haunted house ghosts. The heroes? When left to fend for themselves, they discover something very suspicious happening at the old mansion down the street, more than just losing their rocket in that yard. The FBI hires him to help unravel a mysterious art heist which he does with the help of his best friend, Margaret. (Free for Kindle Unlimited subscribers.). Basil of Baker Street by Eve Titus, illustrated by Paul GaldoneLiving with the famous Sherlock Holmes is howBasil learns to be a skilled detective. In. While out delivering food to a womans shelter, the girls meet Elvin, a homeless boy whose grandfather was attacked in a community garden. She is a spy. Intended as a guide for parents and teachers in choosing books for children at specific age levels, this book provides an annotated list of over 2,000 children's books by 1,200 authors. She must try to solve this case while also figuring out whats become of her mother. They think that he kidnapped Josephine Bakers pet cheetah. Absolutely Truly Pumpkin Falls Mystery by Heather Vogel Frederick Truly and her family now live in her fathers small hometown after her father, a soldier, returns from Afghanistan a changed man. ago Children's book from 1990-1994 about two morticians 2 3 r/tipofmytongue Join 10 mo. Dying to Meet You 43 Cemetary Road by Kate Klise, illustrated by M. Sarah KliseThe 43 Old Cemetery Road early chapter book series is afunnyand punny mystery adventure with a kid, a cat, a grumpy ghost with a cool format comprised of letters, emails, newspaper clippings, jokes, and more. 90's and 2000's Toys, Nostalgia, McDonalds Happy Meal items, Party Favors, and More! love the name Smashie McPerter and because the plot is just so Ramona-esquely relatable. Its one of my favorite books, I probably read this twenty times when I was a kid. : The Moo-serious Disappearance of Cow on Epic. Im a fan of Richard Scarry books in general, but this is one of my favorites. Youll fall in love with the spunky, Irene Adler, our author, and junior detective, as she and her best friends seek to solve the small beach towns greatest mystery. most on-brand/clearly formative YA books that you were obsessed with as a tween. Follow her adventures in the 17 other books in this series. The keya simple, children's mystery book, filled with creepy characters, spooky settings, suspenseful shenanigans, gaggles of clues, cliffhanger chapters, ripe red herrings, and a few adventuresome, industrious boys and girls to persevere and solve the mysteryopens a lock. They soon make a startling discovery: someone has buried a box of bones behind their clubhouse! I really dig the witty subversiveness of this seriess secrecy: the titles, the plot descriptions, and even the authors name are all cloaked in an air of mystery thats perfect for young mystery readers and fans of a good riddle. Written by: SirArthur Conan Doyle, Vincent Goodwin. We are thrilled to announce that Epic and Lumio, March is Women's History Month! The Explorer series is comprised of three volumes to date, all edited by Kazu Kibuishi. He proves to be every bit as helpful. The trio tags along with the twins crime reporter mom and rack up clues to solve the robbery. Well there is! the foursome hear about the burglary of a local jewelry store. (the Theory of All Small Things) to notice things that others have missed. The animal detectives of Gumshoe Zoo are on the case in this awesome, alliterative comic picture book. Its a great lesson on the importance of honesty, sharing, and the joys of a yummy slice of cake. She just knows shed be good at it, she only needs a case to prove it! Note: I dont think this book is usually classified as a mystery. Thesefriendslove math and are proud of it in fact, theyre sure they can use their math skills to solve crimes. By: Elena Favilli, Francesca Cavallo (2016) See full review Read or buy BOOK The One and Only Ivan age 8+ Heartwarming story of a heroic, artistic, captive gorilla. This post was created by a member of the BuzzFeed Community.You can join and make your own posts and quizzes. In this particular adventure, they are at the aquarium to see a seal show. When you buy through these links, we may earn an affiliate commission. This wonderfulchildrensmysterybookchronicles the story of three friends:DinkDuncan, Ruth Rose Hathaway, and Josh Pinto of Green Lawn, Connecticut. Can the young Mike and Kaye find who pinched the bat before their favorite team loses the game? Set in Hyde Park, this art mystery opens with a mysterious letter sent to three unknown recipients from an anonymous sender. The Case of the Claymore Diamond Math Inspectors by Daniel Kenney and Emily BoeverViva math! They live in a small town in Connecticut, called Green Lawn. She searches for clues and interviews suspects. In it, Meg, her brother and her grandfather pay a visit to Megs Aunt Alice, the head librarian at a local library. Whether your child is in elementary school, middle school, or high school, in this list youll find many good mystery stories for kids ages 5 to 18m to read. Its a fun historical fiction adventure (and mystery) about a young boy named Lucius whose father is accused of a crime. Totally entertaining and very well-written. [TOMT][Book][2000s] Children's nonfiction book series talking about the history of aviation in one, and the history of geography/jungles in the other . She puts together the evidence, follows the trail of clues, and tries to get a confessionand, with hard work and persistence, solves the case! Theres no way I was going to forget to include this series in a list of mystery books for kids. Why is he known as Encyclopedia Brown? The two end up stumbling upon a headline-making mystery in the process. Isnt that cool? Its a delightful, aromatic mystery read! I love me a good mystery. It hooks you from the first page. What are your favorite mystery books for kids? It features the eponymous youngsleuth,Nate the Great. , this girl duo reminiscent of Holmes and Watson (yep, more Holmes stuff!) Jimenez plus Felicia Low = A.J. That lock is a love of reading. Escape from Mr. Lemoncellos Library by Chris GrabensteinKyle and a few classmates win a sleepover at the towns newly created library by game-creator Mr. Lemoncello. In The Case of the Stolen Sixpence, the first of eight in the series, she finally gets her big break. Three best friends, one of whom just happens to be Sherlock Holmes. The 5th adventure of the three friends Titus, Simon, and Finn, now preparing for the winter - but not without an exciting adventure. children's mystery books 2000s america undercover life of crime Juni 12, 2022. used kawai upright piano . Today is the perfect day for solving mysteries and eating cheese, thinks Harold, tucked up warm in bed. Your email address will not be published. The boys set off to solve this strange and scary mystery and find themselves on an adventure beyond their wildest imaginations. While you read, youre prompted to flip to the back to learn about writing a spooky setting, using figurative language, creating a culprit, creating clues, and much more. The books are about globetrotting mouse Geronimo Stilton, a best-selling author, investigative reporter and editor for the Rodent Gazette in New Mouse City, Mouse Island. I loved how the journey for clues develops simultaneously as Truly finds friends and her place in the town! This is an engrossing mystery book tangled with compelling characters and emotional resonance. Estimated price range for a first edition: $66 to $275. She thinks. Explorer: The Mystery Boxes is a creative, clever collection of stories about boxes of mysterious origin, but the stories could not be more different both in written content and artistic style. Secret and societies and kid espionagewhats not to love? If your kid loves this, check out Books 2-9 onEpic. Malcolm is jazzed to be the new fifth grade class pet at school: hes well fed, well loved and has some comfy digs. It requires readers to pay attention to clues, make and revise predictions using those clues, and attempt to solve the mystery before the main character does. Winterbone Home for Vengence and Valor by Ally Carter April is a foster kid invited to live at a fancy mansion with other orphans. Youll learn a lot of Roman history which is pretty interesting. Encyclopedia Brown tells of the adventures of Leroy Brown, aboy detectivewho is nicknamed Encyclopedia for his wide breadth of knowledge. So, funny storya lot of mystery books for kids like to riff off the Sherlock thing. The Seals That Wouldnt Swim, Field Trip Mysteries by Steve Brezenoff, illustrated by Marcos CaloThe Field Trip Mysteries are the field trips of Cat and her classmates. Its one of my favorite books ever! In the mystery books below, youll find stories with puzzles or crimes where amateur or professional detectives must overcome obstacles, notice clues, follow leads, ignore red herrings, and solve the crime or mystery. Nancys adventures include finding her missing City Girls doll at a sleepover and tracking down the thief that stole a special basket of treats from a doggy fashion show. The Girl with the Glass Birdby Esme Kerr A lonely orphan named Edie is forced to leave her only known relative and live at a strict boarding school in order to surreptitiously protect Anastasia, the Russian princes daughter. Then it moves forward to young Grace Cahills efforts to save the precious artwork from the Nazis during WWII. Well, except for the fact that her teacher was out sick and Smashies class was stuck with the worst substitute in the world. Sherlock, Lupin & Me: The Dark Ladyby Irene Adler I totally love this mystery story so does my 11-year-old! Harold steps in to save the party and the day by putting the pieces together to find the culprit of this cake caper. Reading mystery books challenges kids to think because kids use deductive reasoning, observation, and inference to try to figure out the solution before the end of the books story. Middle Grade Historical Fiction (Ages 9 12), Missing! The Whodunit Detective Agency The Diamond Mystery by Martin Widmark, illustrated by Helena WillisFriends and kid detectives, Jerry and Maya, go undercover in a jewelry store to figure out which of the three employees is stealing diamonds from the owner. Because of all the random facts, figures and trivia stored in his pretty remarkable memory. Delightful! Nate the Greatis a book series consisting of more than two dozen childrens detective stories. Minerva Mint The Order of the Owlsby Elisa Puricelli Guerra Minerva lives in a huge but run-down mansion (that she owns) with her guardian, a quirky artist who found her abandoned at a train station (with the house deed.) Fast-paced and interesting. This one is for the really little humans so its sort of in a league of its own! Thing is, Obaasan miiiight not be wrong. Teddy and Summer think so. The Curious Cat Spy Club by Linda Joy Singleton What a fantastic new book series my daughter and I devoured this first book. All of this plus mathits woven in throughout to make for a fun and educational treat for bookworms. Rider Woofson: The Case of the Missing Tigers Eye by Walker Styles, illustrated by Ben Whitehouse (series) Filled with lots of punny doggie words, this is a clever and funeasy chapter book about a group of detective dogs! The books in The 39 Clues series are a adventure/mystery mashup series. Join other teachers, parents, and librarians who receive FREE book reviews and learning resources. This is the start of a clever, wacky series starring the mastersleuthand his assistant, Nina the Goat, as he cracks unsolved cases in his community. A collaboration of authors have written these stories, including Rick Riordan, Patrick Carman, Linda Sue Park and Sarwat Chadda. They call him Bunnicula and introduce him to pets Harold the dog and Chester the cat. I couldnt compile a list of mystery books for kids without this classic. How did his cousin disappear from a closed pod ontheLondon Eye? TUESDAY. Again, use your own discretion. Describe yourself with the four most on-brand/clearly formative YA books that you were obsessed with as a tween. Your kids will want to read it again and again! Of course, theres a mystery afoot andRollie and Cecily are determined to get to the bottom of it. Will he end up at the Rainbow Street Animal Shelter? This story follows Billy and the gang as they work through various scenarios, introducing kids to deductive logic and basic problem solving along the way. Great Auntie Tiger Lil decides its up to her to find the thieves and invites young Lily along for the ride. Are you sure you want to delete your score and checked items on this list? Im pulling this blurb straight from my shelf talker at the bookstore where I work. Told you. Olivia Sharp isnt new to mysteryshes Nate the Greats cousin, after all! There. Shes lost something important and needs Nates help to find it. This is a well-written adventure with good pacing and enjoyable characters. A mystery bookstore. They have after all rescued a neighborhood dog, saved a small child from drowning but these kids have their sights set on solving some serious crime. The day Patches was stolen from Smashie McPerters class started out like any other day. Adam Jimenez is a Mexican American author who grew up in California and later moved to Singapore where he met wife Felicia Low. All of this plus mathits woven in throughout to make for a fun and educational treat for bookworms. The two end up stumbling upon a headline-making mystery in the process. Lawn Mower Clinic, 4:30-6 p.m. Open to youth in grades 4-6 who want to learn about lawn mowing and the business of lawn care. She writes Imagination Soup and freelances for publications online and in print, including Brightly for Penguin Random House, USA Today Health, Colorado Parent, and Parenting. Their adventures are funny and exciting, this is a well-writtenchapter book in a new series. While there, the singer Peaches Meows, diamonds are stolen! Are You There God? middle grade mystery-comedy about a fanged rabbit who, be a vampire. Sign me up! The Meg Mackintosh books are interactive solve it yourself mysteriesthey invite readers to analyze visual and written clues throughout the unraveling of the mystery. This wonderful children's mystery book chronicles the story of three friends: Dink Duncan, Ruth Rose Hathaway, and Josh Pinto of Green Lawn, Connecticut. In this case, theyre determined to discover the cause of the ghostly sounds from an abandoned military fort. He looks every bit the detective as one can as a pigeonhes got a fedora on so you. 2000 children's books (94 P) 2001 children's books (94 P) 2002 children's books (90 P) 2003 children's books (105 P) 2004 children's books (118 P) 2005 children's books (137 P) 2006 children's books (143 P) Thank you for signing up! Its odd. The two put their heads together to figure out what happened in this charming story about art, teamwork and a very sneaky caterpillar. At first, Simon isnt happy about Andy adopting Baxter at his second home. Theyll have to follow a trail of complicated clues and coded messages to get to the truth. In addition, you can see the most watched/liked stuff amongst your friends. Jin decides she has to know more about this mysterious girl and pairs up with her for a class project. The boys set off to solve this strange and scary mystery and find themselves on an adventure beyond their wildest imaginations. Join Rider and her friends as they crack this lunchroom case once and for all. When she and her friends realize this new home is about to be acquired by a nefarious man, they are determined to solve the mystery of the heir, the key, and the house. Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek LandySkulduggery is a skeleton but hes also a detective who solves crimes in the magical world. And boy oh boy, does Blue Baillets signature love of beautiful words really sets this work apart. Things go from bad to worse when she witnesses a burglary at the hotel across the street, and now the thief is after her. Ick and Crud are caninebest friendswho spend most of their days playing in the sun. Each volume is a collection of seven graphic stories from seven different comics creators around a central theme. This mystery story is one of thebest booksforyoung readerswho seek the challenge to solve seemingly unsolvable cases. Start with The Sly Spy and go from there. TheSecret Files of Fairday Morrow by Jessica Haight Fairdays parents move from the city to the country to amysterious Victorian house and the only reason she hasnt died of boredom is shes found a mystery for her and her best friend, Lizzy, who are in their own detective club. Easy to read with a relatable mystery. Each book includes an afterword with facts about the books subject; for example, includes easy-to-understand tidbits about oak trees and acorns. Dont let the format fool youwhile it looks like a chapter book from the outside, the easy, sparse language reads like a picture book. They have after all rescued a neighborhood dog, saved a small child from drowning but these kids have their sights set on solving some serious crime. Stilton embarks on all sorts of wild adventures with his sister Thea, cousin Trap, and nephew Benjamin, keeping a diary of his travels as inspiration for his books. These books are clever and funny and theres plenty to love: this series for beginning readers is 26 books long! The three form an unlikely friendship as they join forces to find his attacker. She considers herself less a solver of mysteries and more an agent of secrets: she helps her clients with warm & friendly approach and by digging into whats going on beneath the surface. I love the series to hook readers on one a highly recommended mystery books because it keeps readers reading. I love this fast-paced mystery! Ive been reading mysteries (and trying to live inside a swanky museum, sssh) ever since.. They decide theyre going to nab themselves a bank robber but get in the way of the police. In. ADD TO CART. My personal favorite is The Mystery Bookstore, a super fun caper set in the New Orleans French Quarter aboutyou guessed it! We first meet Enola in. And its up to the kids to figure it out. Snoop Troop It Came from Beneath the Playground by Kirk ScroggsComic-book style illustrations with lots of interactivity in this interesting story totally impressed me. The story includes lots of illustrations, fabulous vocabulary words explained and repeated that perfectly fit the story such as regicide, and a kid-powered plot. Remember when I told you that a lot of kids mystery books are a re-imagining of the Sherlock Holmes stories? A mysterious book brings them together and they soon find themselves wrapped up in an international art scandal. Sofia sees the words Resident Alien on it and wonders: does this mean Mama is an alien?! The Case of the Left-Handed Lady: An Enola Holmes Mystery(series) byNancy Springer This Sherlock series follows the detective adventures of Sherlocks sister, Enola which I dont think is the real name of his sister. The Beaverbrook Gallery paintings have strict rules to prevent humans from discovering this truth. Belly Up by Stuart Gibbs Was the FunJungles hippo murdered? Nope, no adventurous pursuit of villains here, folks. Who is behind the kidnapping attempt? Facts About The Kinkajou by Lisa Strattin: Best-Selling Children's Author, Lisa Strattin, offers a book in her Picture Books for Kids Series as a free download today on Amazon. Well, this picture book certainly isnt helping my theory that all pigeons are tiny cooing spies. Learn more at. Another Sherlock book, but with a few twists! Early Pearls father is not the kind of man whod leave his family, yet he has. When she misplaces that notebook, it ends up in the wrong hands. But long before Agatha Christie and Alan Bradley filled my bookshelves, I was a kid enraptured by spies named Harriet and kids living in boxcars. Good, right? Let us know in the comments below! When the family loses everything, the oldest brother decides to be a gladiator which is equivalent to slave status and a good way to die young. Olive finds a dusty pair of glasses in some abandoned drawer and makes a startling discovery. The book is full of humor and mystery with a satisfying ending, making it an engaging read for young kids. Ive compiled a list of 50 mystery books for kids, both new and tried & true. Children's Science Fiction of the 2000s (2000-2009) Science fiction picture books, novels, or short story collections for children and young adults first published in the 2000s (2000-2009). Theres only one thing for Ike to do when the local police force cant seem to get the job done: break free and take matters into his own hands. Skunk discovers the aforementioned cookie jar and dang it, hes going to find the thief. Secrets of the Manor: Claires Story, 1910 by Adele WhitbyI lovedthis book itsacaptivating story about an orphan girl who moves to France to live with friends of her family. Theyre also just plain fun. And, every year, imposters answer the ad. Its a peaceful day on the farm until a blood-curdling scream rings from the barn Hens egg has been stolen! Her best friend has ghosted her right at the start of seventh grade and a new baby is about to end her reign as an only child. I have a mystery loving girl so I have some investigating on my own to do to find her some great reads and you have helped me with some leads!