Her playlists were super chill and created the right ambiance for our outdoor event overlooking the Pacific. 1. Pat Knight KSTP (1974-75) (Also see Pat McKay), Bill Lake (also know as Carl Lensgraf) WYOO (1974), Bullet Bob Lange KDWB (1972 1979), WLOL-FM, WWTC (1988-1989), KSTP, Bob Lange, 1973, KDWB. DJ Tessa is amazing. He called himself Tall Tan Tal., WLOL (part of Hines and Berglund), KSTP-AM (news). By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Anthony Gee, From the KRSI Request Album, courtesy Roger Fischer, Steve Gibbons/Ugly Steve Steele WYOO (1972). So how exactly will a morning radio show based in Phoenix be able to simultaneously speak to L.A. audiences? "Brian Oake in the Morning" will broadcast weekdays from 6 - 10 a.m. A Twin. Denault went on to a long career at WGN in Chicago as Paul Rogers. While browsing Los Angeles DJs, read through their profiles, look at photos, and watch videos to learn more about the services they offer. This was the adopted name of the manager of Music City at 7th & Hennepin who hosted an hour of paid sponsorship for the store on Saturdays for a short period in 1967 1968. Photo below courtesy radiotapes.com. Warming the crowd up with tastefully curated music spanning Brazilian, funk, disco, afro, and dance, and then smoothly transitioning, Book your next gig with DJ Cassmoney! Photo below courtesy Rick Burnetts Twin Cities Radio Airchecks. Cities 97.1, KDWB hosts among those cut by iHeartMedia iHeartMedia has slashed jobs at stations nationwide. I spotted BT chatting with One Heartland's Susan Leckey. In his short 40 years, Don Doty spent most of them on the air, garnering many awards as the Twin Cities favorite DJ of the 1950s. When the list of venues for the 1964 Beatles tour did not include Cleveland, the station sent Joe to New York to negotiate with Brian Epstein. Adam 12s sets are spontaneous and intuitive; he may play one song all the way through, then cut another halfway, only to bring it back a few cuts later. Ralph Martin WDGY (1956 1957). Starting at $400 per event. Droog. Brian The Cosmic Phoenix KDWB (1974-1976), Brad Piras KTWN-FM (1978-79), WWTC (1979-1981). At that time the formats of the two stations were so different I doubt anyone ever noticed I was on both stations even though they were very close on the dial. Rich Davis is in charge of the Sampler, and Im planning on Basilica Block Party 20 and Studio C concerts., Send this article to anyone, no subscription is necessary to view it, Anyone can read, no subscription required. Jones also reported that his contract had expired, which may have meant that he was fired. New at 2am. Glen died on July 15, 2013. Jerry Cunning WLOL (1954 1958 The Nightwatch), KEVE (1959 1963), KTCR-FM (1973), WWTC (1985). MacLeash was a force behind such Cities 97 projects as Studio C mini-concerts with name artists, the Basilica Block Party and the Cities Sampler series, all-star compilations of exclusive performances sold for the past 24 Novembers, which have raised more than $800,000 for area charities. But for the past couple years in particular, Foss has been on fire, stealing the show at CRSSD, Coachella's Do Lab stage and Hard's Holy Ship! But then we never would have had our wonderful Happy Birthday Song!. In 22 years the Sampler has raised close to $9 million for local causes. Hence the small crowd and disappointed King and WDGY. A Los Angeles fixture, he has been at the decks for 25 years, 17 of those as the main promoter of North Americas longest-running drum n bass weekly, Respect. 20. They made a deal to let him use the name if he plugged the organization. Chuck Cell KDWB (1963-64), WTCN-TV (1973). Greg Gears WWTC (1971 1975), WCCO-FM (1975). Thanks again! Michael Stock His monthly bass party, Plugged In, features not only a great array of talent but also EDM celebrity attendees. George describes his disc jockey journey: I began the Progressive (I referred to it as Underground) rock on KQRS in early 1967. Hal Hoover KDAN (April 1970 to March 1972), WAYL, KQRS (September 1977 to 1981), WDGY, Louis E. Lou House, Jr. WDGY (1955), WMIN (1956 1958), KDWB (1959), Lou House was possibly the only black DJ in the market before KUXL came on the air. Best cities to move/DJ 2017 . Back at the station a telegram was crafted with the name of the owner of the Music Hall without the owners knowledge. He moved back to WMIN. If nobody has written a book about him, they certainly should. Growing up in Arizona, he had dreams about moving to L.A. that never fully came to fruition. Don Betzold Collection, courtesy Pavek Museum of Broadcasting. Star, August 3, 1977), Jim Larkin at KRSI, September 17, 1972. 4 reviews of Cities 97.1 "I can't believe I'm the first to review this! Iver and his sons owned and worked there, including my dad Hardy, who owned the gas station for a bit. What COVID has shown us all is that we can do our jobs from anywhere, he said. He lets his records do the talking, and hes got one of the best collections in Southern California. At KEYD he had his own record show, Dave Reaus Key Room, and Remember Time with Randy Norris. Above and below: Sherwood at KDWB, September 1971. The 20 Best Hip-Hop Songs in History From 1962 to 1986 Fred and his wife Muriel ran the Vant Hull (Old Time) Liquor Store at 7835 Wayzata Blvd. From host Jody Avirgan (30 for 30, FiveThirtyEight, Radiotopia) and the TED Audio Collective, Good Sport is your guide through an array of stadiums, pitches, pools and slopes that shed a light on the ups and downs of being human. In 1969 he became a partner in polka station WJSW in Maplewood. Justin is the founder of JCamp, a non-profit program for high-school journalists, and works on many fronts to further diversity in newsrooms. By spring of 69 WDGY wanted him back at almost any price, and reportedly made him an unrefusable offer. Mike Hoyer was a legendary overnight Country radio air personality, whose show reached from coat to coast and border to border and then some, as he said each night to open his program. Dans energy is full-voltage, and his beat-matching, a lost art, is mesmerizingly perfect. George Murphy KRSI (August 1962 to February 1963), WLOL (August to September 1964). And hes done it all with a scruffy yet debonair air thats made him a cult figure and a style icon. Steve died in April 2009. George Donaldson Fisher had begun playing a diverse selection of underground rock, jazz, blues and comedy (Firesign Theatre, Cheech and Chong) since 1967 on KQRS. Every night in our city, you can find dozens (or hundreds, on weekends) of men and women doing it the old-fashioned way, mixing records live (whether they be on vinyl, CD or flash drive) and conjuring up new soundtracks for your night out. I wish I could give her ten stars. Don French KDWB (1960). I no longer know what this means except I guess Im starting over.. JAVASCRIPT IS DISABLED. Keri Noble leaves Cities 97.1 morning show to, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Submit to Stumbleupon (Opens in new window), Keri Noble leaves Cities 97.1 morning show to pursue vocal training career, How much is too much? You can thank him for continuing to bring the likes of house legends Louie Vega, Osunlade and Danny Krivit to town. At a time when EDM is a euphemism for excess, Wyatt is all class. Twin Cities Disc Jockeys This list is of Twin Cities disk jockeys of the 1950s, '60s, and '70s. He researched and co-wrote a biography of the harmonica great, Little Walter. These CDs are one hot ticket: sold exclusively at Target, creating lines around the block, with some years selling out in minutes. Stories: Last I heard he was in Dallas, at least two years ago. Tom Jones (Jim Channell) KSTP-AM (1973 1975), Leigh Kamman WLOL (1940 1942), (1946 1950), (July 1, 1956 April 1958), KSTP (April 15, 1958 1973), MPR (1973 2007 The Jazz Image). Host Joey Boy grew up locally in Highland Park and later lived in Burbank where his parents currently reside. Susan and Randi Kirshbaum were the first female disk jockeys in the Twin Cities. The contest was to guess how many miles he drove during those four weeks. Brian Oake in the Morning broadcasts weekdays from 6 10 a.m. Brian Oake in the Morning features Oakes signature irreverence and quick wit while he banters about music, popular culture and all things Minnesota. A graduate of Cal State Fullerton, she cheers on the NFL's Detroit Lions, listens to punk and alt-country music, watches "The Bachelor/Bachelorette" with her girlfriends and can often be found exploring local craft breweries and Tiki bars. A DJ and vocalist, Colette trades off between skills seamlessly in her sets. Very tough day today, he posted. L.A. Weekly Music's Greatest Hits! Many of the things he told me were the same things that were in his profile in Secret Stash magazine. Al Carlson KSTP (1973). They aren't all necessarily L.A.'s greatest of all time, butthey're the greatest right now. Oake, best known for his many years as a radio host at The Current and Cities 97.1, announced on his podcast - The Brian Oake Show - that he spent 28 days receiving inpatient treatment after a frightening experience in early July. Charlie Fox (James Martin) KDWB (1974-1975), Alan Freed (thats his real name!) Steve Cannon (Bernard Cannon) WMIN (1949 1954), WLOL (1955 1957; with Don Kelly January 1957), KSTP-AM (1958 October 1971), WCCO (1971 October 1997). James Francis Patrick Professor Jim ONeill KDWB (1961 August 25, 1967). Dave Daniels (David Sikkink) KANO (1980-85). He passed away on September 24, 2012. Also did a kiddie show on Channel 5 TV called Saddle and Boots he was Boots. Both DJs have a fantastic sense of mood and energy, and use eclectic collections filled with everything from synth-pop to house to world music to warm up the crowds. Information and photo courtesy Mike Cunningham via Rick Burnetts Twin Cities Radio Airchecks. He ended up working at 23 stations over a 17 year radio career. Bob Berglund WWTC (1974), WDGY (1979), WLOL (part of Hines and Berglund), KSTP-AM (news), Pharaoh Black (Thornton Jones) KUXL (May 1, 1975-1979), Bill Blast (Al Collins) KUXL (1967 1968). Joey said its because theyre all actually friends off-air; he said they manifested the arrival of The Morning Mess in Los Angeles when they all made a trip together to the area back in October. He worked at Storz station KOWH in Omaha right after graduating from high school in 1954, and six weeks later was transferred to WTIX in New Orleans. Sundays 11p-12a EST. L.A.s most versatile DJ hands-down is Adam Michael Bravin aka Adam 12. I spotted BT chatting with One Heartlands Susan Leckey. Jere Smith WMIN (1958), KMSP-TV (host of Record Hop, @1957 1959, weather 1959 1975). The fact that this full-circle moment is happening right now is wild, he said. RetroRandi photo below courtesy of Randi herself! He didnt much care for all the white groups trying to sing R&B and would be better off adapting them to rock n roll. Hes also DJed for the late great J Dilla, Mos Def and many others, and is a big part of Stones Throw Records. Don Riley KEYD (1949), KSTP (1954 1956), WLOL (Daily sports talk show). Loveable Lou Riegert KDWB (started September 10, 1960 1965), WWTC (1965). Cities 97.1, Uniquely Twin Cities, announced today the debut of "Brian Oake in the Morning," effective immediately. She began her career at Cities 97.1 in 2012 as a board operator and part time host and eventually graduated to hosting the weekday night show. In 1963 he was hired by H.L. https://www.reelradio.com/ Put em together, and its no surprise that they know exactly how to get a party started while accommodating the occasional chin stroke. Someone remembered he had some on-air experience, asked him to fill in as the announcer, and that was that. Rod Trongard WLOL (1959-1968), KSTP (1968-1982). Ratan said hes stoked to be able to interact with L.A. fans. It occasionally contained live tracks recorded from local concerts in the Twin Cities. Epstein needed a commitment from a venue and a guarantee of $50,000. It was a great place for a kids imagination! Voted one of Minneapoliss Sexiest in 1975 by Mpls. George keeps women Young! Click Here for a video that gives an overview of his career made by his Albuquerque station when he retired. Photo courtesy Pavek Museum of Broadcasting. Tuesday-Friday 2-3a EST. Harold Picha and His Band, 1950, courtesy Minnesota Historical Society. Andy replaced Machine Gun Kelly. Actually it was taken in the recording studio as I was producing commercials. Their oldest daughter, Sophie Berit, died at young age and is buried in the cemetery as you turn down the road towards Hammer. After serving in the Merchant Marine during WW II, Widman started his radio career in Winona, Minnesota. When KDWB was sold, Sherwood joined Entertainment Communications and pioneered the beautiful music format with WAYL FM, where he spent ten years as general manager. In 1971 he moved to Albuquerque, where he anchored the news until he retired in 2000. Photo courtesy Pavek Museum of Broadcasting. Thanks, Greg! He won a Favorite DJ contest run by Don Leary in 1955. Another one of my all-time favorite things about Minneapolis/St. The UK native previously hosted nights at the station from 2012 to 2016. Mr. Brightside Direct Hits. Packhorse/Pecos Paul Denault WCOW. He popularized the disco re-edit and was an early resident DJ at Londons famed Ministry of Sound. Though Shepard, who joined the show last year, was born and raised in Phoenix, she said shes excited to get to cover and experience some of Southern Californias offerings, including outdoor activities with her husband and kids that dont include Arizonas sometimes 120-degree weather. When house music started seeping into Los Angeles in the 1980s, Santa Monica native Marques Wyatt was there. Rick Easton (Elroy Easton) KRSI (1969). pricing for hiring DJs in Los Angeles, CA. Randy Cook WISK (1959), KDWB (1959-64), WWTC (1970), B.J. Photo copyright Mike Barich, St. Paul, Joel Larson WWTC (1970 1975), WCCO-FM (1975). Mesa Kincaid (Cheryl Holm) WYOO (1975 1976), KSTP, KQRS, WCCO-FM. January 1969 Minnesota Historical Society, From 1969 KUXL Music Survey RadioTapes.com, From 1971 KUXL Music Survey RadioTapes.com, Tony Hart (aka Fast Eddie and Frank Miller) KDWB-FM. I'm a full time DJ in Los Angeles, Ca. She is supposedly a real person, but Wayne had other characters, such as Louis K. Lush, the hungover engineer, Katie Kute, the go-go girl, and Sleepy ODell, the weather girl. Frequent collaborators Lovefingers and Heidi Lawden are a dream team of dance-floor eclecticism, with nearly a half-centurys experience as house, techno and disco tastemakers between them. I only spoke to him briefly before he died on October 17, 2014, at the age of 92. I hired Prince William to DJ my husband's birthday party last weekendand EVERY DAY since then people have texted/emailed me to tell me how much, I am a DJ who can play any type of music the client desires. The relatively simplistic and superficial mid-60s ethos had metamorphosed to the super-hip, politically charged ethos of Woodstock, then only two and a half months away. From 1998 to 2007 Chuck was on KTIS-FM, and then on Bob-FM (KLCI) with Jon Engen. In a letter to a fan dated May 6, 1959, Don reported that when he started at KSTP, they built me my own little private studio inside the radio transmitter on Highway 61, about a mile north of Highway 36, out towards White Bear. Front L to R: Emil Tuma, Tommy Thomas, Allen Ista, Mayme Borak, Harold Picha. Paul Stagg was inducted into the Minnesota Broadcasting Hall of Fame in 2017. In October 1963 Garren hosted a show called Celebrity Table, with remote broadcasts from places like the Waikiki Room at the Pick Nicollet Hotel. Rick Burnetts Twin Cities Radio Airchecks. And is it still baseball if you're wearing a giant banana suit? (*Leigh was slated to take Don Dotys slot at WTCN in April 1958, but Will Jones reported that when KSTP found out he was available, they made him an offer. Described as rather idiosyncratic by Mike Neudecker. Tedesco Brothers See Radio Stations, WCOW, Jim Teeson WWTC (1971 1975), WCCO-FM (1975). Oake returned to KTCZ-FM as morning host in May 2021. Both stations are part of the iHeartMedia company. Get their official bio, social pages & articles! In 1965 he revived his dance band and performed all over the Twin Cities with his vocalist wife, Patty Hicks. Once led his own orchestra; WWII Veteran. Heres a photo of it, courtesy Greg Carr, former DJ of Dig Up the Roots on KFAI. In 1958 he won a Minnie for Best Male Radio Announcer. Jim Dandy got out to commence The Return of the King, and it was immediately apparent how dismayed he was at the small crowd. By Whitney Houston Biopic First Trailer Just Dropped! An article from the December 1966 Inbeat says that he has eight telephones when he broadcasts, answered by secretary Melody Galore. He continued writing as well. The station became WISK starting on May 15, 1956, according to the radio logs, and Zingale remained on the air until October 9, 1958. Harry Zimmerman KEYD (1948 1949), WTCN (1954 February 1956), KSTP (February 6, 1956 1959). This year was no different: The CDs sold out in two hours when it was released on Thursday, November 18. World War II marked the beginning of the end for Hammer. He moved to Duluth to manage WEBC in February 1966. He'll be at Splash House in Palm Springs June 10-12 with Odesza (doing a DJ set), Jai Wolf, Guy Gerber and Justin Martin all of whom had better bring their A-games, or he'll steal the show from them, too Andy Hermann, 3. (Dennis John) Leary KDWB (1962 July 1963) Hotline, KRSI (January 1964 February 1966). Hes no stranger to smoky rooms and dank undergrounds, but Wyatt holds down the tasteful side of Los Angeles dance music. In 1975 Mpls. At the time he had just closed his restaurant, Sushi on the Sea, in Sooke, British Columbia. We need some additional information to ensure we find the perfect vendor for your event! The Morning Messengers were just along for the ride like, I feel you, Karla; Im in the same boat after we put up a visual with Karla sitting criss-cross applesauce in the middle of the floor doing a broadcast.. I go by DJ Manny Ace, I run a professional DJ and Event Services company that features all that you need to make. Photo below from an August 1956 WLOL Top 40 courtesy Pavek Museum of Broadcasting. Brother Bob Hall WYOO (1974 1976). Sandy Singer WTCN (1956 1957), WDGY (August 1, -), WLOL (1958 1968). Paul was inducted into the Museum of Broadcasting Hall of Fame in 2002. When a DJ ditches the USB sticks to play his first all-vinyl set in eight years at a high-profile gig like Mysterylands, you know he's feeling himself and right now, Foss is mixing with the confidence of a guy who feels like he can take the crowd anywhere he wants them to go. Dennis Romero, 12. The list leans heavily on those who played rock 'n' roll - don't be looking for anyone from WCCO-AM. Adaptability. Then Norman Wayne went to the owner of Metromedia in New York the owner of the station to get the $50,000. Gene died of kidney failure on January 2, 2019, at the age of 76. From February to April 1955, he hosted the Don Doty TV Show on Channel 11. WLOL-A/WRRD-A, WDGY-A, KRSI-A, and WWTC-A. We had more team members dancing this year as a whole and had more folks stay to the end of the event dancing than in years, Are you still in search of a dj for your event? After nearly eight years at Cities 97.1, morning show host Keri Noble announced Monday that she is leaving the station. Gene Leader (Gene Mean Gene Okerlund) KDWB (March 27 to October 29, 1968), WDGY (December 13, 1968 to October 28, 1970). "The only thing I can . The sorehead with the records is Mean Sam, and next to him is the marvelously inadequate Ma Linger. Dave Dworkin KSTP-AM (August 28, 1973 less than one year); KQRS (December 6, 1978 1984). http://www.twincitiesradioairchecks.com/ (Rick Burnett) A little over three years ago, a family reached out to me about giving their daughter voice lessons, Noble wrote. No lasers, pyro or beat-matching software required. Tal Bartell WYOO/U100 (1975 1976.) Excerpted from Steve Iverson and Julian Wests site Minnesota Kid Vid: In the early 1940s, Sev Widman (Severance J. Widman, Jr. 1922-1981) launched Studio Party Wham, a midnight program on WMIN Radio with his friend Leigh Kamman. Laub passed away Friday, August 28, 2015, at the age of 90. In mid-1964 he got on at KDWB, but got fired for playing the blues. He gave away meat during a meat shortage! He passed away on January 18, 2021. Photos courtesy RadioTapes.com, Dick Halvorson WISK (1959), KDWB (1959 1961), KSTP (1973). Steve died on July 23, 1986, of lung cancer at age 41. For best results, catch Drumcell in a warehouse (at one of Droid'sInterface events) or somewhere else dark, dingy and dank. Leary Dart Board. He started his media career as a radio reporter and disc jockey, creating a new kind of show, Live Line to Sports at KDWB, where he poked fun at local sports organizations. Is it just us, or does it seems like the Twin Cities holiday season officially kicks off with the Cities 97 sampler release? He died in 2005. Paul Fletcher - Cities 97.1 Paul Fletcher Home Posts Rank You Very Much Latest Posts Join The Fletcher Family For The Ultimate Tour Of Ireland! Original junglist DJ Machete has these in spades. I spent summers there as the town was waning. Curt Lundgren WCCO FM (1975), WCCO AM (1983). After a long and varied career, Peter died at his home in Eden Prairie at the age of 80. He previously worked at the station from 2001 to 2012 in afternoons and then mornings. In 1965 his show was on KSTP Radio from 6:30 to 10 am weekdays, with a staff of news analysts and commentators Morgan Mundane, Ma Linger and Backlash LaRue. Try to get a feel for their style, the genres of music they usually play, and what types of events they've worked at in the past. Autograph card also from Pavek. Using data from quotes sent through GigSalad, weve gathered average pricing for hiring DJs in Los Angeles, CA.