$200 per post at $10/CPM. Secretary Hilda Solis has laid out a pretty straightforward mission for our department: Good Jobs for Everyone. Claudia received a B. The former Miss Deaf American and Delta Sigma Theta member, is a member of many organizations including the National Association of the Deaf Law and Advocacy Center and Black Law Students Association. Born in Jamaica, Gordon went deaf around the age of eight years old after she suddenly developed severe pain in her middle ears. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Read the latest blog posts from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Check out the most popular infographics and videos, View the photo of the day and other galleries, Tune in to White House events and statements as they happen, See the lineup of artists and performers at the White House, Eisenhower Executive Office Building Tour, Director of the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), Under Secretary of Commerce for Economic Affairs Rebecca Blank. After law school, she was a staff attorney for the National Association of the Deaf Law and Advocacy Center and a consulting attorney with the National Council on Disability. Foreign-born deaf lawyer uses opportunity in America to help those with disabilities during emergencies. At the time, she was in the care of her elder sister Mildred Taylor, a teacher. In this role, she drives strategies for a disability inclusive culture and an accessible plus equitable work environment. Previously city included Lacombe LA. By the time she reached her junior year in high school, Gordon knew that she wanted to become a lawyer. None of the doctors did anything to really help or make clear what. Facebook gives people the power. There she learned sign language, participated in sports, and rose to the top of her class. To get to know aboutClaudia, her career, and her inspirations read the following Q and A with her. Claudia remembers how she was treated in Jamaica after going deaf. He is the father of two children, a daughter, Kimmi Braddy, and a son, Theo Braddy Jr.Claudia L. Gordon, Member, National Council on DisabilityClaudia Gordon is a dedicated advocate for people with disabilities with nearly 30 years of versatile professional expertise, with a personal mission to level the playing field and ensure the same opportunities are provided for all. She wanted to have direct involvement in the enforcement of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the American with Disabilities Act of 1990, combating in order to make sure that the laws were really being utilized to help those who needed it the most. Log In. My mother was my most influential role model. Become a subscriber and support the site! Benally is also involved with the National Congress of American Indians, Disability Sub-Committee. Claudia L. Gordon is the first deaf African-American female attorney in the United States. When Hurricane Katrina hit, Gordons efforts to ensure that the needs of disabled people were met in hurricane relief efforts earned her both the Gold Medal Award and the 2005 Hurricane Response Award from the Secretary of Homeland Security, Claudia Gordon has been active in both the black deaf community and the broader disability community. The NAD operates on a shoe-string budget and the law center staff fluctuates from two to four full time attorneys working tirelessly to keep pace with incoming discrimination claims and requests for technical assistance from among the 36 million deaf and hard of hearing individuals in America. Teaming up with others who have similar disabilities and being vocal about your needs are necessary in order to be properly prepared., American Bar Association She was the vice president of the National Black Deaf Advocates. November 1st, 2016 This political appointment made Gordon the first deaf person to work at the White House in a detailee capacity. Typically, policy changes like this are submitted for public comment after theyve been formulated. Her deafness gave her an opportunity to discover her identity, strengths, and personal growth with many positive qualities. Model Born in Rhode Island. Despite all the hardships, they created a positive environment in which all of us children could be properly nourished with a sense of responsibility, dignity and pride. @claudia.l.gordon.1. . Disability is something that often gets overlooked when we talk about the spectrum of representation, so it was very important to me to make sure we do not ignore them in our celebration of black women. Its always a joy when I get to work closely with my boss, OFCCP Director Patricia A. Shiu. Maude Baggetto is in the Office of Public Engagement focusing on Women and Girls. She also is the first deaf student to graduate from the American University (AU) Washington College of Law in Washington, D.C. in 2000. sites@gsu - Blogs for Georgia State University. I want to contribute to a better society where there is more understanding and acceptance of people with disabilities and where the same opportunities are provided for all. My mother taught me that we all control our own destiny and should never become victims of our circumstances. She was instrumental in drafting and implementing an executive order on Individuals with Disabilities in Emergency Preparedness. At the time, she was in the care of her elder sister Mildred Taylor, a teacher. Gordon went on to earn adegree in Political Science at Howard University, then went on to study disability-rights law and policy at American Universitys Washington College of Law. Claudia is a Special Assistant to the Director of the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP). At age 11, she attended Lexington School for the Deaf and learned American Sign Language (ASL) there. She is also the first deaf person to work at the White House in an detailee capacity. Her mother immigrated to the South Bronx, in New York, so that she could earn a better living, and planned to reunite with her children as soon as she could. I want to take the opportunity to remind you all; just in case some" When my service to the President is over and I have to face my family, my friends and my communities as an African American, as a woman and as a deaf person what I hope to look back on is not a single moment, but rather a series of opportunities where I used my seat at the table and my voice in the decision-making process to improve the lives of those who seek to redeem the promise of America, the promise that brought my mother here all those years ago. NCD is comprised of a team of Presidential and Congressional appointees, an Executive Director appointed by the Chair, and a full-time professional staff.NCDs mission is to be a trusted advisor, in collaboration with people with disabilities, to: the President; Congress; Federal entities; State, tribal communities, and local governments; and other entities and organizations. She didn't believe she was deaf because she had been reading peoples lip and thought she was hearing their voice. I dealt with discrimination and oppression on a daily basis. At AU, Gordon specialized in disability rights law and policy. My interest in working for the Federal government was sparked while working as a Skadden Fellow and staff attorney at the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) Law and Advocacy Center from 2000-2002. In pursuing that mission, OFCCP is leading the way to ensure that the reach for good jobs is truly within the grasp of everyone. She was one of the only approximately fifty qualified deaf lawyers in the U.S. and Canada back then. I'm delighted by the growing 2023 TV GUIDE, A FANDOM COMPANY. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/09/30/president-biden-announces-key-appointments-to-boards-and-commissions-9/?utm_source=link, Office of the United States Trade Representative. In Jamaica, Gordon could not get an education, so she moved to the United States where she attended first a public school, then the Lexington School and Center for the Deaf in New York. He graduated from Temple University with his MSW in 1988 after receiving his BSW from Edinboro University. The information provided by WeCo (The Wehrman Collaborative, LLC) is not intended or designed to be used as, or take the place of, legal advice. After a year in service, she was appointed as an attorney advisor and later promoted to senior policy advisor for the United States Department of Homeland Security, Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties. Texas Zero Property Tax Bill Has Extreme, Discriminatory Catches, Eurovision 2023 Tickets Announced on Ticketmaster, Celebrating Womens History With Qiu Jin, Chinese Revolutionary, The Penguin Tells a Batverse Scarface Story. Claudia and her younger siblings were left in the care of her eldest sister, Mildred Taylor, a schoolteacher. - Gordon, Obama White House, 30 August 2010[5]. She most recently served as an Associate Director in the White House Office of Public Engagement as the Biden-Harris Administrations liaison to Disabled Americans and K-12 educators.Voordes personal passions and professional expertise center on justice for individuals with disabilities and equitable access to education. And so as a result, at age eight Claudia Gordon became deaf. At DHS Claudia is able to address misconceptions people have about those with disabilities, some of them similar to the stereotypes and erroneous beliefs she faced in Jamaica. Claudia L Hanes-Gordon (Claudia Corky Hanes Gordon) See Photos. When I suddenly lost my ability to hear at the age of eight, I was taken out of school and kept at home to perform chores. NCD fulfills its advisory roles regarding disability policies, programs, procedures, and practices that enhance equal opportunity by: convening stakeholders to acquire timely and relevant input for recommendations and action steps; gathering and analyzing data and other information; engaging and influencing current debates and agendas;identifying and formulating solutions to emerging and long-standing challenges; and providing tools to facilitate effective implementation.Hoskie Benally, Jr., Member, National Council on DisabilityHoskie Benally Jr., is a Member of the Navajo Nation and is Legally Blind. Accessibility Quick Tips WeCo's Accessibility Blog Updates WeCo's Network for VCR Professionals & Job Coaches, Manual Accessibility Audits and Remediation, Accessibility, Usability, and Disability Awareness Training, Accessibility, Inclusion SME Speaker Services, National Association of the Deaf Law and Advocacy Center, http://deafness.about.com/od/deafwomen/p/claudiagordon.htm, http://www.deafpeople.com/dp_of_month/Gordon.html, From Jamaica to U.S., heres the story of the first female deaf Black lawyer who advised Obama africainmatters. During the Presidency of Barack Obama, she served as the Special Assistant and subsequently as the Chief of Staff to the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs Director in the United States Department of Labor. By joining TV Guide, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. She took her to a clinic and healers, to no avail. Sign Up. /content/aba-cms-dotorg/en/groups/diversity/disabilityrights/initiatives_awards/spotlight/gordon_c. At Homeland Security, Gordon was the senior policy advisor for the Department of Homeland Security, Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, At Homeland Security, Claudia Gordons focus was activities such as enforcing an executive order for Individuals with Disabilities in Emergency Preparedness. And I know they are proud, patient and ready to welcome me home when this tour of duty, in service of our country, is done. For three years, Gordon was a member of the only deaf mock trial team in New York and the only deaf high school to ever win the competition. She took her to a clinic and healers, to no avail. Pronunciation of Claudia L. Gordon with 1 audio pronunciation and more for Claudia L. Gordon. It is uplifting when you are able to empower another and help someone discover a sense of self-worth and confidence in his or her abilities. Claudia Gordon is the third featured guest in the Council on Women and Girls: Meet the Women of the Administration series. All Rights Reserved. She suddenly lost her sense of hearing at the age of eight. Join Facebook to connect with Claudia Gordon and others you may know. First Name Claudia #8. A domestic servant with only an eighth grade education, she literally scrubbed her way to America one garment at a time. Your membership has expired - last chance for uninterrupted access to free CLE and other benefits. Claudia L. Gordon The first deaf African American female attorney in the United States Birthday: Claudia L. Gordon was born on May 14, 1946 Background Information Childhood: Claudia L. Gordon was born in rural Jamaica. Not being around or in a community that supported deafness became a problem: I thought I was the only deaf person in the world. In Jamaica, deaf and disabled persons are stigmatized and Gordon remembered that a deaf woman who lived in the area was called dummy, by local children who threw rocks at her. The HandSpeak site is a sign language resource created with by the ASL instructor and native signer in North America. Heres What We Know, INTERVIEW: Cary Elwes Understands the Assignment of Guy Ritchie Movies for Operation Fortune, Walgreens Caves to Republicans, Limits Sales of Another Reproductive Healthcare Item, Florida Man Fulfills His Destiny as a Netflix Crime Series, The 13 Best Ted Lasso Quotes to Read When the World Has Made You Feel Weary, Thank You to the FDA for Telling Elon Musk He Cant Put Chips in Our Brain. The company's filing status is listed as Forfeited Existence and its File Number is 0801661939. Claudia L Gordon is Trustee at Gallaudet University. As the first deaf black female attorney in the United States, Claudia Gordon recounts her childhood in the West Indies, her search for identity while grappling with audism in a hearing college, and her ongoing quest to create spaces in society for seldom-heard voices. Want more stories like this? Gordon has held senior leadership positions with Sprint Corporation, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the National Council on Disability, and the National Association of the Deaf Law and Advocacy Center. [15], Gordon was part of the Presidential Delegation of Barack Obama sent to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for the Opening Ceremony of the 2016 Summer Paralympics. Gordon is also associated with the National Coalition for Disability Rights , where she is part of their national governance, Sources: http://deafness.about.com/od/deafwomen/p/claudiagordon.htm http://www.deafpeople.com/dp_of_month/Gordon.html, Sylvia Walker: A Champion for Disability Rights, Filed Under: Access Awareness, General, Making a Case for Accessibility, [] at the National Association of the Deaf Law and Advocacy Center, giving her the opportunity to provide direct representation and advocacy for poor deaf persons with a particular emphasis on outreach []. After two years of no education, Claudia and her mother immigrated to New York. Her family was then forced to take her out of primary school for almost two years since her school couldn't accommodate her needs as a deaf student. What has been your favorite moment since youve been working for the Department of Labor? He is currently employed with the Native American Disability Law Center as the Community and Government Liaison engaged in Disability Systems Advocacy with the Navajo Nation and other Native American Tribes. Claudia L. Gordon, Member, National Council on Disability Claudia Gordon is a dedicated advocate for people with disabilities with nearly 30 years of versatile professional expertise, with a . Sounds Like Home: Growing Up Black and Deaf in the South by Mary Herring Wright The Hidden Treasure of Black ASL: Its History and Structure by Carolyn McCaskill, (via DeafPeople, image: Exchange Photos via Flikr). Happy Black History Month! Its that reality of our jobs knowing that we have a window of opportunity to effect such sweeping and systematic change that makes me proud of the work we do. Director of Government and Compliance with T-Mobile Accessibility. With her fellowship project sponsored by the National Association of the Deaf, she "provided direct representation and advocacy for poor deaf persons, with a particular emphasis placed on outreach to members of minority groups". To be honest, I dont. Claudia Gordon is a lot of things. Claudia Gordon is the third featured guest in the Council on Women and Girls: Meet the Women of the Administration series. Claudia L. Gordon is the first deaf Black female attorney in the United States. [3][8], It was in high school when Gordon knew she wanted to be a lawyer, with the discrimination she experienced in Jamaica as her inspiration. kkitt1, Your email address will not be published. Given the fact that nearly one in four American workers is employed by a company that receives Federal funds for contracted work, stronger Section 503 regulations, backed by real enforcement, will ensure that more people with disabilities have equal employment opportunity in the labor force. Claudia L. Gordon is Director of Government and Compliance with T-Mobile Accessibility a Business Unit within T-Mobile that offers communication products and services to reduce or eliminate communication barriers for customers with disabilities. Many shrugged off my grand intention as wishful thinking. [3][4], Gordon was born in St. Mary, Jamaica in March 1972.[5]. Deseo toda la felicidad del mundo para ti , alegrias , risas y mucha" The website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. Quick search hundreds of articles, documents and resources. 2022 American Bar Association, all rights reserved. She currently works in the U.S. Department of Labors Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs. [emailprotected]. She went from being the brightest and most outgoing kid in my class, to being pulled out of school, isolated from her friends, and became an object of ridicule. Thank you for this feature! Leave a comment 17 Likes, 1 Comments - Virna L Torres (@torresvirnal) on Instagram: "Happy Birthday Claudia!!! #21. A one-size-fits-all emergency preparedness and response approach for people with disabilities does not take into account that, for example, that those who are deaf have one set of needs when a catastrophe strikes, while those with mobility impairments have a whole other set of needs, Gordon stated, this misperception can be corrected by having planners understand that you cant indentify someone as simply having a disability. You need to go beyond their essence, look at the functional limitations their disability creates, and then make a plan to address those practical limitations., For those with disabilities, Claudia offers the following emergency preparedness advice: Make sure you and your family are prepared. As CEO, Braddy created an independent living center that became a strong and growing voice for people with disabilities, and started the Living Well with a Disability Initiative. Yes, its a cumbersome name thats all-too-typical of Federal speak. And though its not as well known as its sister agencies like the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Civil Rights Division at the Department of Justice, OFCCP has powerful investigative and regulatory authorities for protecting workers, promoting diversity and enforcing the law.The agency was born out of the landmark civil rights laws of the 1960s and over its 45-year history has expanded in authority to include protections for women, veterans and people with disabilities. After two years of no education, Claudia and her mother immigrated to New York. The Obama Administration appointed her to the head of the OFCCP. Shortly thereafter, Claudias mother brought her to the United States in search of opportunities for her daughter. Disclamer: the number about Claudia L. Gordon's Instagram salary income and Claudia L. Gordon's Instagram net worth are just estimation based on publicly available information about Instagram's monetization programs, it is by no . At 11, she moved to the United States and attended Lexington School for the Deaf in New York. It's hard to wrap your mind around it when you see it on paper. My work at Labor is with an agency called the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs. Previously, Claudia was a Planning & Performance Mo nitoring Officer at HEART Trust/NTA and also held positions at Lexington School for the Deaf, Goje Frozen Yogurt, Department of Homeland Security. It's time to renew your membership and keep access to free CLE, valuable publications and more. | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Claudia Gordon. [2] Prior to joining the telecom industry, Gordon held various roles in the public sector from 2002 to 2017most notably as the associate director in the White House Office of Public Engagement, where she advised White House offices and senior officials including former President Barack Obama on disability issues. She currently serves as the Senior Accessibility Strategist with T-Mobile US, Inc. Top Deals This Week: Save on Paramount+, Showtime, HBO Max, Fire TV, and Roku, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Is Now Available to Stream on Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Slashed Prices on all Sorts of Fire TV Stick Models, Amazon Fire Tablets on Sale: Save up to 45%, The Ultimate Guide to What to Watch on Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, and More in March 2023, Amazon Prime Video's New Shows and Movies in March, 8 Shows Like The Last of Us to Watch While You Wait for the Next Episode, 9 Shows Like Ginny & Georgia to Watch After You Finish Season 2, 12 Intense Thriller Shows and Movies to Watch If You Like Squid Game, 9 Shows Like Fringe to Watch If You Like Fringe, Here's When Yellowstone Will Return for Season 5 Part 2, Pedro Pascal Has an Update for Last of Us Season 2 Filming, Everything to Know About The Summer I Turned Pretty Season 2, Amazon Exec Teases a Release Date for Reacher Season 2, Everything You Need to Know About Euphoria Season 3. She provides advice and technical assistance to the leadership and components of DHS that are geared towards implementation and enforcement of disability civil rights laws, regulations, and Executive Orders. August 30, 2010. http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/08/30/meet-women-administration-claudia-gordon, Copyright 1995-2023 Jolanta Lapiak. By my junior year in high school, I made it known to all that I would go to law school and become an attorney. Senior Accessibility Strategist at T-Mobile . Have a tip or story idea? At the age of 15, he became a person with a disability due to a high school football accident that left him paralyzed from the neck down. "Meet the Women of the Administration: Claudia Gordon." That would have been Claudias life, except at the age of eleven her mother went to America and she was transferred to Lexington School for the Deaf. Claudia L. Gordon, Esq. Gordon is also associated with the National Coalition for Disability Rights , where she is part of their national governance. During the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, Voorde served as an Associate Director with the University of Notre Dames Sara Bea Center for Students with Disabilities. At Lexington, she learned sign language for the first time and became the valedictorian of her junior and senior high school graduating classes. She is also the first deaf student to graduate in 2000, from the American University (AU) Washington College of Law, in Washington, DC. February 29, 2016 by Sue Ann Rodriquez 1 Comment. People believed I was unable to learn and succeed simply because I could not hear, she recalls, these experiences convinced me that I wanted to be a vehicle for change. Claudia decided on law school to help her pursue such change, attending American University, Washington College of Law to study disability rights law and policy. How Long Will Joe Goldbergs Rampage Be Left Unchecked? A. degree from Howard University . She later went to the American University Washington College of Law. One of these activities is the mock trial sponsored by the American Bar Association. She won a Skadden Fellowship for2000-2002, and worked as a staff attorney at the NAD Law and Advocacy Center and a consulting attorney with the National Council on Disability.