Sounds interesting, I'm keen to give it a try. After Epiphone and Vintage, I would recommend one of the cheaper Gibson Tribute or Studio models. Guitarist Derek Truck elaborates. Finally, Trucks almost exclusively plays in open E tuning. One of my favorites is when he recorded Loan Me a Dime with Boz, and the Swampers after they left FAME to open their own studio. You need to ensure the slide fits properly and that it gives your chosen finger a bit of breathing room. Contains spam, fake content or potential malware, Seymour Duncan 59 Vintage Blues Humbuckers, Ernie Ball Classic Pure Nickel Strings (.010-.046). Anytime I use my old Fenders and set the treble above 5 the top end just takes my head off. Additionally, it is worth setting your action higher on the guitar that you are using for slide. And, on most of these amps at high volume, the treble knob adds 'gain', not treble after 6 on the dial or so. So without further ado, here is everything you need to sound like Duane Allman: Over his career, it is estimated that Duane Allman played over 30 different guitars. Most clubs would kick you out around here. As an example, if he was playing a lick on the higher strings, he would rest his thumb across the bass strings to mute them. That includes those featured on Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs, the album that is generally considered to be Eric Claptons greatest musical achievement. He built this amp and it's . He also performed as a band member of Allman Brothers Ban d and Tedeschi Trucks Band. Conversely, you want something with enough weight to press down on the strings. For 12 years, the Derek Trucks Band have been issuing records (live and studio) that are long on fire, improvisation, and inspiration. Thankfully, there are some much cheaper alternatives. This happened on Allmans Hot Lanta Les Paul. The first was a copy of Taj Mahals debut album, featuring Mahals version of Statesboro Blues. So if you are already happy with your strings, I dont think you should feel obliged to use the same gauge. Bluesmen likeDuane Allman,Jimmy Page and Gary Mooreare just some of the notable players that used the Echoplex toadd thickness and warmth to their sound. Artist: Derek Trucks Band Venue: Jazzfest Berlin, Delphi Theater, Berlin, GER Date: 2005-11-06 CD cat no: Remark: SBD - pre FM DAT > EDIROL R-1 > PC WinOnCD 5 [tracking] > flacfrontend [flac] Band: Derek Trucks - guit Todd Smallie - bs, voc Yonrico Scott - dr, perc, voc Kofi Burbridge - keyb, flute, voc Mike Mattison - voc For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. As a bonus I think they also look great as well. The Superior Board of Trustees on Monday expressed their support for the Fifth Avenue extension as part of the Original Old Town alley decontamination and improvement project. Its not that loudreally. Derek Trucks, the Amadeus of slide guitar, talks about connecting, Layla, love myths and letting go. In the early days of pickup manufacturing, there was not a standardised process. So to get the best out of his rig, Trucks has to really focus on his playing style. . The first of these was the softer, more vintage tone of his early career. The Fender 150 Strings that Allman used were pure nickel. Ingram is a killer player, and I would love to feature him in a future article. In addition to using the Weber for volume control, when I'm recording, I have built a small box to keep the amp in. Named for their black control panels, Blackface Fender amps are one of the company's most famous and coveted product series. Glass has a warmer and thicker tone, and that is what you need if you want to sound like Derek Trucks. I don't have a mid knob on either channel of my modded Bassman, but otherwise, that's pretty much how I run it. The second was a bottle of Coricidin, because Allman had a cold. Try some different strings out and see what works best for you. Trucks' fingerpicking slide style naturally attenuates some of his amp's gnarly treble, but he'll constantly work his volume and tone pots in search of the sweet spots. On a separate note, it seems like John Lee Hooker doesnt get mentioned that often when it comes to the real masters of blues. Was watching a Rig Rundown with Jimmy Herring and he spoke about how he sets his Fender Super Reverb; a trick he learned from Derek Trucks who also does the same thing.crank the volume to 8, treble to 7-8, mids about 3-4 and bass around 2-3heavy use of the guitar's tone knob (rolled off a lot) and volume knob to get gradients of dirt. The brilliant slide guitarist Sonny Landreth uses .013-.056s! Each string size was specified by Duane. Then, when he wasnt using his thumb or finger to pluck a string, he would use it to gently mute those strings that he wasnt playing. But rather it shows just how much you can achieve with a simple rig. Mar 11, 2016. Ahh that is a great idea! Whilst a huge part of his ability to do this comes from Trucks fingers and playing style, his gear plays an important role too. Derek Trucks is the American guitarist who is the original member of The Derek Trucks Band. Lastly, when playing slide guitar, Allman almost exclusively played in open E tuning. The Sounds & Style Of Derek Trucks Slide guitar there's no one better than this Truckster. In fact, the only real commonality between the amps Allman used, is their size. That is because he doesnt have to press down so hard on his strings. Long story short, dont be afraid to experiment with heavier gauge strings when playing slide. Was watching a Rig Rundown with Jimmy Herring and he spoke about how he sets his Fender Super Reverb; a trick he learned from Derek Trucks who also does the same thing.crank the volume to 8, treble to 7-8, mids about 3-4 and bass around 2-3heavy use of the guitar's tone knob (rolled off a lot) and volume knob to get gradients of dirt. Even if you dont play slide guitar though, there is a lot of information you can take away here that is still relevant. In doing so, he laid the foundation for bands like Govt Mule, The Tedeschi Trucks Band and Larkin Poe, amongst countless others. A good place to start would be the Derek Trucks Signature Slide. Having said that, if you are looking to add some extra pedals to your board, the two to focus on are a fuzz and a preamp boost pedal. Let check the below section to get more information. With soul shredding slide guitar licks as a trademark for his encompassing style, he followed in, and some may even say outdid, the footsteps of his uncle, Butch Trucks, founder of the Allman Brothers Band. I know a lot of his tone comes from the type of amp he uses but I was curious if anyone knew how I could get a similar tone from my gear. I bought one a month ago and its unreal. I liked your Youtube clips. He uses this occasionally for specific delay sounds, but more frequently he uses it as a boost pedal. As such, I wouldnt recommend looking at amps of a similar size,unlessyou are also playing in large venues. They currently sell for around $4450/3600. Their slides arent the cheapest around, but they are brilliant quality. . No doubt that Derek gets an amazing tone from his old Super, and who would ever think he would start using a different amp. And secondly you should consider whether you are looking to play with a predominantly clean tone, or whether you would also like your amp to break up a bit. also, it takes more wattage to push bass. He adapted and built upon the bottleneck style of bluesmen like Elmore James, blending the blues with country rock and roots music. And sometimes, maybe Im imagining it, but I always hear it. Dividing his time between the Allman Brothers, his own Derek Trucks Band, and guest appearances with such like-minded artists as Gov't Mule and Widespread Panic, Trucks has become a major player not only on the jam band scene but also in early 21st century rock music. The Gibson guitars that Allman played were all fitted with early PAF pickups. And it is really this which dictates his choice of amp. Finally, towards the end of his career, Allman played his Hot Lanta Tobacco burst Les Paul, which he bought from Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. Nice Article! For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. It currently costs around $2100/1700. So they were using a lot of old vintage equipment. Original 1957 Goldtops currently sell for around $62,000/50,000. 2) On the '65, it's an NOS Beijing-production And I must tell you that they have helped me a lot. You guys should check out Missing link audio if you wanna match the sound of duane allman. Use that with your Deluxe for classic Allmans tones. If you want a heavy blues tone, get yourself a Les Paul and a Marshall and get going. Most of these players didnt use the unit for delay effects, but rather as a boost pedal. Thank you so much for the kind comment David, I really appreciate it. Derek Trucks has a beautiful guitar tone that is perfect for the blues. This actually sets him aside from a lot of other blues guitarists, most of whom seek out amps that break up and overdrive at lower volumes. Check out Missing Link Audio, I was tone chasing for a while till I found this company. You are using an out of date browser. So although they will definitely help you sound like Derek Trucks, they arent a relevant option for most players. Good luck, and if I can help in any way, please do let me know. Please consider making an article about the Kingfish Ingram sound. Duane was playing in a standard E tuning when his friend John Hammond, Jr. showed open E, D and other tunings. And I forgot to mention that the amp has the JBL D120 speaker and a hybrid they designed to match the JBL. How high you set your action is up to you. In addition, early blues and rock players would regularly switch the position of their bridge and neck pickups. In fact far from believing that pedals will improve his tone, Trucks feels that they are actually detrimental to his sound. Learning finger style is not easy, but it is crucial if you want to sound like Derek Trucks. When I plug this guitar into my 68 super and turn it up to over 6 I get that type of DT tone. Beyond that, the Gibson 57 Classic Humbuckers would also make a great choice, as they are the pickups that Trucks uses in his Signature SG. In this video, Derek Trucks sings the praises of the PRS Dallas 50W Tube Guitar Amp Head, which is sitting on top of a PRS 2x12 120W Open-Back Guitar Speaker Cabinet. You will struggle to find one for less than $100/100. Beyond that, there are lots of great options to help you sound like Duane Allman across a range of different budgets. The second was a bottle of Coricidin, because Allman had a cold. It is hard to do that with a big amp if you are doing most of your playing at a relatively low volume, in a home or studio environment. He is an actor and producer, known for The Rite (2011), The Irishman (2019) and Hillbilly Elegy (2020). Secondly, dont forget that you can make profound changes to your tone using nothing more than the controls on your guitar. Please allow a few minutes for this process to complete. My top recommendations are as follows: Regardless of which SG you go for, you will need to adjust the setup of the guitar if you want to play slide. This tuning was first used by early Delta bluesmen, and is still one of the most popular tunings amongst slide guitarists. GA includes Derek's "1965 BFSR, the amp he's been playing since he was a young boy; Derek's 1968 SFSR (one of the backup amps),the DTB's Hammond B-3, two Leslies, a Hohner E-7 Clavinet, and a few other minor items." If you are looking in a slightly lower price range though, then DAddario do a great value bottle slide. Or would it not work the same way? Conversely, if you dont fall within that group, I would recommend instead that you focus on the part of Allmans rig that interests you most. So as a result, some of the advice here is more relevant for slide players. As the story goes, Allman started playing slide when his brother Gregg gave him two presents for his birthday. I admired his facility but could not stand to listen to him play. It really goes to show how much tone comes from the fingers. This will allow you to play with a heavier and less precise touch, and still sound amazing. The next best option the replicas of Allmans Goldtop that the Gibson Custom Shop released in 2013, also make a very expensive choice. It requires him to use a lighter and more delicate touch. "I just used this Alessandro amp," he says. The Gear Page is the leading online community and marketplace for guitars, amps, pedals, effects and associated gear. His notes always ring out with perfect clarity and his tone is never muddy. Yeah I know Derek pulled the second AX7 which adds a minute amount of gain. On the other hand others say he started playing earlier. Light guitar strings are not a key element of Allmans sound. However the good news is that compared with Gibson Les Pauls and ES-335s, SGs are a lot cheaper. Most Successful Signature Guitar Of All Time. This is an American voiced, Fender style amp that more closely resembles Trucks set up when he played with The Allman Brothers Band. This gives the amp more headroom, which means that Trucks can crank it without the amp breaking up or distorting. Conversely, Hooker rarely seems to appear in publications or on websites that are aimed at guitar players. So if you are looking to replicate the gauge Allman used, those could be a great option. This is almost a necessity if you want to play slide, as you have to use your fingers to mute the strings you arent playing. The first option is to buy a set of lower output, PAF style humbuckers. Duane spent his last night on Earth jamming at Johns house. Specifically the old "Super Reverb" he is so well known for. This was most likely for aesthetic reasons, and because he doesnt actually play with a pick. He uses a custom made set of DR Pure Bluesstrings in a 0.11-0.46 gauge. The Gear Page is the leading online community and marketplace for guitars, amps, pedals, effects and associated gear. This pack recreates the tones used by the famous and unique Derek Trucks. And these will help you sound like Skydog. That of course is not to say that gear doesnt play a role. You can pick both of these up for less than $10. You will be amazed at how much you can change your tone, just by altering your attack. MYRTLE BEACH, SC, United States Allen Old Flame 410, Boutique Super Reverb, Derek Trucks black Used - Excellent $1,050 + $75 Shipping Whichever brand you go for though, just make sure you use a glass slide. The specific guitar that Trucks plays was given to him by Galadrielle Allman, Duane Allmans daughter. Trucks was heavily influenced by Allman, and his slide is built to model Allmans Coricidin bottle. If not though, then it could be worth fitting your guitar with more vintage sounding pickups. Trucks was heavily influenced by Allman, and his slide is built to model Allman's Coricidin bottle. Thank you so much Ken, I really appreciate it. This actually sets him aside from a lot of other blues guitarists, most of whom seek out amps that break up and overdrive at lower volumes. He plays an SG, and actually uses a replica of Allmans SG, which was produced in a very small run by the Gibson Custom Shop in 2011, and given to Trucks by Allmans daughter. I send you a greeting from Mexico. The game looked bleak for the Jaguars as they were down . Try a few different slides out and experiment until you find the one that works for you. Although he has also occasionally played Washburn guitars, a Gibson Les Paul and a Gibson Firebird, the Gibson SG is the guitar with which he is associated. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me on aidan@happybluesman.com. As for John Lee Hooker and his legacy, I think there are a number of slightly different and quite complex factors at play. What's your favorite 335 style guitar for under $1000 used? I actually discovered Duane Allman only a few days ago (told you Im a beginner), so great timing for me! In his session work and during the early days of the Allman Brothers Band, Allman played Fender amps. If you want to do the same, and are also looking for a delay pedal, then the Dunlop Echoplex EP103 Delay pedalwould make a great addition to your rig. In 2010, he formed the Tedeschi Trucks Band with his wife, blues singer/guitarist Susan Tedeschi.His musical style encompasses several genres and he has twice appeared on Rolling Stone ' s list of 100 Greatest Guitarists . So in conclusion and this is just my observation I dont think that Hooker is underrated within the blues genre. It is powerful and fiery with a beautiful crunch; yet it is also a very precise and clear guitar tone. That is great if you are playing gigs and want to play with a clean tone. There arent that many ready made string sets in this gauge, but Fender do offer a set of Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child strings in gauge .010-.038s. This is largely a result of Allmans influence, but also because of Derek Trucks, who has carried on Allmans legacy. This gave his slide playing a lot of clarity and precision. Additionally, he played two totally different styles. I read somewhere that he was done with the Pyle speakers, he blew them up and supply is done. As a result of this, a lot of slide players have since adopted a similar approach, and Trucks is one of them. I have a LP with a really nice MSSC sprague vitamin q harness in it. "George Alessandro in New Jersey builds these great amplifiers. Great article. Derek Trucks (born June 8, 1979) is an American guitarist, songwriter, and founder of The Derek Trucks Band.He became an official member of The Allman Brothers Band in 1999. Raise your action to the lowest position you can whilst still being able to play slide guitar. They will also help with playability, especially if you are going to use them for slide. don abbondio: descrizione; pavimento effetto pietra leccese; preavviso dimissioni tempo determinato ccnl studi professionali; ricorso alla commissione tributaria provinciale fac simile Thanks so much for the kind words Julien Im really glad to hear that you enjoyed the article, and that you recently discovered Duane Allman; I am sure that his music will greatly enrich your guitar playing journey! You want to develop a clear and precise guitar tone. He also has been listed in the Rolling Stone's list of 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time twice and also won Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012. Apparently he played Fender Heavy 351 picks, but you dont need to use the same picks to get those Skydog tones. This gives a small but not insignificant boost to the Vibrato channel, which is the one Derek uses. 1999 PRS Custom 24, Tortise 2017 Fender Strat, Eric Johnson, Sunburst 2003 Martin D-28, Marquis 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb OX Amp Line 6 DL4 . They typically cite one of the Three Kings or bluesmen like Robert Johnson as being what got them hooked on the blues. His only real departure away from Fender style amps was when he played a PRSHXDA 100W Head and a PRS Dallas 50W with The Allman Brothers Band. Some of my top recommendations are: If you are looking for something with a bit more power and headroom, then either a Fender Twin Reverbor aFender Super Reverbwould be my top choice. Allman famously used a glass Coricidin medicine bottle for his slide. More at IMDbPro Contact info Agent info Resume Born Add to list Photos Known for The Rite 6.0 Thank you very much for your dedication. These are typically not very high output pickups and they produce a beautiful and rich, vintage sounding tone. Either that or you can very easily remove it yourself. And although second hand models of that guitar are available on sites like Reverb, the starting price is around $15,000/12,000. He later exchanged this for a 1959 cherry sunburst Les Paul, but kept the pickups from his Goldtop. Typically, slide guitarists use very heavy gauge strings. Black mark for Fuzz setting, just backed off from full. So here I am going to focus on the quintessential Skydog sound. Early Life If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me on aidan@happybluesman.com. Super Reverb is 40watts, perfect for a club and a decent drummer. JavaScript is disabled. The nephew of Butch Trucks, former Allman Brothers drummer, Derek has been playing serious guitar since he was a pre-teen. ANJE. Do the same thing with your strings. Just ahead of opening up on his top 5 guitar tips, Trucks happily runs us through the gear he used at The Fox. Out of all of the elements of his rig, Derek Trucks seems to place the most emphasis on his amplifiers. Take the elements of Allmans rig that resonate with you, and adapt them for your own use. The good news, is that there are a lot more choices out there. Would "dime" the amp and use guitar volume. The Derek Trucks Band is the only touring group in recent memory comprised of a member in his 20s (Trucks), 30s (Smallie and Mike Mattison), 40s (keyboard player Kofi Burbridge), 50s (Scott) and . Derek Trucks: "There's a Lot of Music Out There" Cory Wong Jason Shadrick August 3, 2022 The slide master talks about amalgamating influences, keeping it fresh, how he approaches tone, and the best amp ever made. Duane had picked up a cold or allergies. During a conversation with Premier Guitar, Derek Trucks (Allman Brothers Band, Tedeschi Trucks Band) talked about guitars, discussing some of the technical aspects of the instrument and his. I've never tried cranking the treble and backing off the guitar's tone though. This is one of the reasons I like Derek so much. Thats basically how I set my DRRI when I had one (minus the mids knob of course). When he wasnt playing slide, Allman used a pick. Great article on Duane Allmans tone and sound. He claimed that these gave the pedal a warmer tone. His notes always ring out with perfect clarity and his tone is never muddy. The Vibrato channel is untouched and has that 3d BF Fender sparkle. With Dixon and drummer Tyler Greenwell joining Trucks . Trucks also sets his action as low as he possibly can, whilst still being able to play slide. As a result, the pickups in early Les Pauls were all wound slightly differently. If you want a softer and brighter American style tone, I would recommend looking at Fender amps. And when you push the volume too much, you can sacrifice clarity, and risk ending up with a muddy sounding tone. Having said that, if you buy a modern Gibson SG that replicates an early model, it is likely to come stock with vintage style pickups similar to those in either of Trucks main guitars. The larger and more powerful the amp, the louder you can play without your tone overdriving. According to his birthplace, He is American by birth. As a peace offering/birthday presents he gave the album and Coricidin bottle. Duane Skydog Allman has a killer blues guitar tone. The final and significant element to consider, is the effect that Allmans playing style had on his tone. He has an amazing touch and feel, and is able to alter his tone through changes to his playing style and adjustments to the controls on his guitar. This was popular with a lot of guitarists in the 1960s and 70s, including Jimmy Page and Gary Moore, amongst others. Comparatively speaking, Derek Trucks has quite a conservative set up for slide. . Trucks whose uncle Butch Trucks was the drummer in the Allman Brothers Band is one of the most accomplished slide guitarists of all time. Volume as high as I could get away with and the bass low. I found your page just a couple of months ago, and since then I visit it almost every day. I believe that I was not yet aware of them when I originally wrote this article, but a few readers have since put me onto them. He has been married to Susan Tedeschi since December 2001. This of course while playing with a bandsitting in your house noodling it is way too bright with these settings, but they rule onstage. So it is worth checking that, before you switch your pickups out for a different set. Trucks treats 8 on both the volume control on his guitar and on his amp as his limit. He used a lot of different amps and guitars, often for short periods of time. I've also found, due to the advice of another poster, that turning the tone controls down yields a nice tone at high volume. And depending on the colour that you choose, they will also help you look the part too. Trucks, 38, is part of the Allman Brothers Band's heritage his uncle, drummer Butch Trucks, is a founding member, and Derek played with the band for 15 years. You can also buyone of the Dickey Betts, From One Brother To Another SGs second hand onReverb. Trucks also used this guitar for around 10 years, before he switched SGs again in 2012. Besides these small cosmetic changes, this SG was pretty much stock. As a result of Duane Allmans legacy, and the fact that this is Derek Trucks main guitar, models of this SG are more expensive. Find a pick that is comfortable to use and stick with it! However based on photos of Duane playing at Fillmore East he was using a Fender Bassman Amp..Pete Townshend also used a Fender Bassman Amp back in the day.check it out.. When Allman played slide, a huge part of his tone came from his finger picking style. Plexi shield would help as a good attenuator one click down. Very thorough. Adopting this approach has 2 significant implications. It is the same weight and is closed at the top. With one of these amps, you will be able to produce beautiful clean tones, and also crank the amp and push it to break up,but atlower volumes. Get a Randall 4x12". He also crafted two very different sounds. No post FX were added. and he wants to be heard without his sound distorting. A lot of guitarists used the originalMaestro Echoplex Tape Delay in this way in the 1960s and 70s. Derek Trucks of Tedeschi Trucks Band on finding the right way to release music, being a big 'Deadwood' fan, more Tedeschi Trucks Band (TTB) found a way to create and deliver their 2022 epic 'I Am the Moon' in a way that best suited them. yep, used these setting for years with BF amps (if I can get away with it). And if you have any questions or comments, just pop them in the box below, or send me an email on aidan@happybluesman.com. The performance ended up being so strong that Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi decided to release it as an album, Layla Revisited (Live at LOCKN'), which concludes with an acoustic studio version of Thorn Tree in the Garden, performed as a duet by Tedeschi and Trucks. He is the son of Chris Trucks (father) and Debbie Trucks (mother). Again, this allows your slide to run up and down the strings without rattling against the frets. I can use an ABY box for added ease of use. He had a decent number of hit singles and records, won a handful of Grammy Awards, and made an all-star duets album (called The Healer) with musicians that included Carlos Santana, Bonnie Raitt and Robert Cray, amongst others. As I wrote about in more detail here, light gauge strings help with playability, rather than tone. more Verified Correct, Supported via YouTube Submitted over 8 years ago FIND IT ON: See details Upvote the most relevant gear 17 Silvertone 1457 Solid Body Electric Guitars Always good when cranking these to turn down bass to 2-3 or lower. Page 1 of 2 - Derek Trucks - posted in Guitar Q & A: Ive seen Derek Trucks both with The Allmans and The Derek Trucks band Numerous times as well as Warren Hayens solo and with Gov't Mule. Mine has 25 watt alnico speakers and a JAN GE 5751 in V6/phase inverter slot, so that aids the OD. Thankfully Fender have choices here that suit every budget. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Please confirm you want to block this member. Duane Allman famously used a glass Coricidin medicine bottle for his slide. Inspired By Derek Trucks Pack. Duane Allmans tone came from his guitar, his amp and his playing style. If you are looking for something in the middle range, then one of the cheaper Gibson Tribute models would work well. Try playing without the slide and see how you get on. Derek Trucks uses almost no guitar pedals at all. The stocks ones didn't come close to the variety of tones you get from high quality pots & caps. If you want to sound like Derek Trucks then, it is worth placing as much emphasis on this, as it is on the gear you use. Derek's string choice and set up is very interesting for a side player hitting it hard. Whilst Trucks tone is of course not identical to Allmans, Trucks has used that amp to amazing effect during his career. Derek Trucks, 1979 68 - 100200381201116 Some of the add-ons on this site are powered by. With that in mind, and considering Allmans various different setups, again I would suggest that there are two different routes you can go down, depending on the overall tone you want to achieve. Not only will it help you with slide playing, but you will be able to use your hands like Trucks to dig in and add bite and aggression to your sound, or to back off when you want your tone to clean up a bit. You can reach me on aidan@happybluesman.com and I am always around and happy to help . Glass has a warmer and thicker tone, and that is what you need if you want to sound like Duane Allman. They have a whole range of different sizes and thicknesses, and all of the slides are handblown. Derek Trucks is celebrated for his soulful, innovative slide guitar playing, which is characterized by his unique touch, highly refined tone and adventurous note choices. The first of these is a Gibson Les Paul. It's loud but usable. Derek Trucks' main guitars are two Gibson Custom Shop Dickey Betts "From One Brother to Another" model SGs, which are based on the 1961-62 SG Betts gave to Duane Allman and both played in the original ABB.. Trucks also played a sunburst Les Paul, which is a '53 converted to a '59 electronically and borrowed from a New York collector.