Dont sleep on this wheated bourbon with Stitzel-Weller lineage. Style: Straight bourbon Origin: Kentucky Age: 10 years Proof: 50% ABV Price: $60 Release: May 2017 Availability: Nationwide in limited amounts. The 40% alcohol by volume (80 U.S. proof) spirit was formerly produced under contract by Heaven Hill at its Bernheim distillery in Louisville . Weller company merged with the Stitzel distilling company (est. This is funny. Rebel Yell SmallBatch Rye will provide a little more spice androbust flavor to the current Rebel Yell familylineup. I certainly wont miss the kind of people who are that offended, by a name change and dont know the difference between youre and your, (as in your pleasing the pc crowd), or dont know how to spell Busch Gardens. "I could hear the sound of shots from the direction of Hickory Point, accompanied at intervals by fierce yells," remembered Reeder. The sound of the yell has been the subject of much discussion. Management can rename it all they want. "Rowdy yet refined", this new look straight bourbon is the original recipe made with wheat, corn and malted barley. Confederate soldiers used the yell when charging to intimidate the enemy and boost their own morale, although the yell had many other uses. Award-winning Rebel Yell bourbon dates back to 1849. Even my 7 year old commented that racer 75 is a dumb name and both my boys still called it the rebel yell. By This product is available only in our gift shop, and it may not always be available in a particular size. I have seen Father, ordinarily a model of reserve and dignity, leap up in the Metropolitan Opera House and let loose that piercing yell.". (The best illustration of this "true yell" which can be given the reader is by spelling it as above, with directions to sound the first syllable 'woh' short and low, and the second "who" with a very high and prolonged note deflecting upon the third syllable "ey."). Rebel bourbon is made in Kentucky, the heart of bourbon country. Rebel Yell was a term used to describe the battle cry of the confederate army. The reason is because it is cheap and good enough. Old Fitzgerald has a retail price of about $15 per 750mL bottle, but its small allocation makes it incredibly hard to find on a retail shelf. Where is Rebel Whiskey made? We wanted to offer consumers a higher proof option in this brand family, and this bourbon holds up well with balance of smoothness and flavor, whether providing fuller flavor in a cocktail or as a sipper.. Orphan Barrel Whiskey Distilling Company bottles a small number of rare, aged Bourbon whiskeys from a variety of producers and stores them at George Dickel Distillery in Tullahoma, Tennessee. Heaven Hill used to manufacture the 20% alcohol by volume ( (80 proof) spirit under a contract at its Bernheim distillery in Louisville. While you can still find a bottle of Rebel around that price at major retail stores, youre more likely to pay about $18 for a 750ml at your local liquor store. The Luxco distillery is located in Louisville, Kentucky. For the Trailblazers. Billy Idol wrote the song because of the bourbon. The woke folk are going to get their pitchforks and be at Lux Row's doorstep once they catch wind of a Rebel libation. 6, a bourbon blend consisting of three primary bourbons aged for varying periods of time is unique. By adding the new capsule closure with hints of silver and updating the label with bolder lettering, the new Rebel Yell look aligns with the brand attitude, said Eric Winter, whiskey brand manager at Luxco, in a prepared statement. Given the differences in descriptions of the yell, there might have been several distinctive yells associated with the different regiments and their respective geographical areas. To me it was just a name given to a coaster, devoid of any historical or political significance. Rebel Yell Kentucky Straight Bourbon Classification: Straight Bourbon Company: Lux Row Distillers Distillery: Undisclosed Kentucky Distillery (ies) Release Date: Ongoing Proof: 80 Age: NAS Mashbill: Undisclosed (Includes corn, wheat, and malted barley) Color: Gold MSRP: $18 (2021) Official Website Just like the Big Lot Stunt Coaster is still Italian Job, the Crypt is still Tomb Raider, Drop Tower is still Drop Zone, the Racer75 will always be THE REBEL YELL! While its still available for under $15, you may have more trouble finding it at the price. Speaking of their expressions, that lineup includes an all-new whiskey, Rebel Yell Kentucky Straight Bourbon 100 proof. Distilled By: Heaven Hill Distillery / Lux Row Distillers, Mashbill: 68% Corn, 20% Wheat, 12% Malted Barley. After the Stitzel-Weller company broke up in 1972, Rebel Yell was purchased by David Sherman Corporation, now known as Luxco. People who don't think it tastes very good refer to it as Rebel Scum. Maybe the barrels that didn't make the cut? However, in 2020 the rebranding effort went to removing Yell from the bottle. She's a regular contributor to the Whiskey Wash with an affinity for the unique and weird side of whiskey. As one soldier explained: "I always said if I ever went into a charge, I wouldn't holler! Rebel Yell was a term coined for the battle cry of the confederate army. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. The important thing is that the whiskey inside the bottle has stayed the same. The Rebel Yell brand wasnt introduced until 1950, however, by Charles Farnsley, the mayor of Louisville at the time. In the end, the ride experience is still the same. So, if youre new to the bourbon category and want to try a wheated bourbon drinking experience without taking a hit in your wallet, Rebel Bourbon is a great starter brand to give a try. I will say, though, that Im excited to get back to reviewing some higher quality options. But more importantly, we cannot white wash history (forgive that wording, please!). The brand bounced back and forth between the Diageo portfolio and the original owners before finally arriving in the portfolio. Because the Lux Row Distillers facility was not operational until 2018, we can assume all or most of the whiskey in the most recent batch currently on store shelves was produced elsewhere either at a Heaven Hill distillery or another unnamed Kentucky supplier. Last week Kings Dominion announced that it was going to rename one of its roller coasters from Rebel Yell to Racer 75. Rebel Yell 10 Year Details. If youre looking for the cheapest whiskey to mix with a whiskey coke, Kentucky Deluxe is the way to go. Yep, they did. Note: Luxco recently changed the brands name from Rebel Yell Bourbon to Rebel Bourbon. Their most well-known brand might be Everclear, which is a high-proof neutral grain spirit made from corn. Changing it just seems to serve no purpose and make the park seem more bland. Stan Freberg began his comedy recording of "The Yellow Rose of Texas" with his version of the rebel yell. The company would eventually break up in 1972. Risk takers, rule breakers and noise makersunite. Even though I cant think of a past event where anyone was upset or protested, it could happen. That's how we are supposed to do this right? As someone who grew up an hour from the park and rode Rebel Yell countless times, I thought Id give my personal take. Powered by Invision Community. Blood Oath, David Nicholson, and Ezra Brooks are just a few of the brands produced by the company. The companys brand was acquired by the David Sherman Corporation and renamed asLuxco in 1999. Rebel Whiskey is owned by Luxco, but the whiskey is distilled at Heaven Hill Distillery. Im only speaking for myself and the people I encountered. [6], Another claim is that it derived from the screams traditionally made by Irish and Scottish Highlanders when they made a Highland charge during battle. For the purists. This is just a (smart) calculation by a company looking to avoid a potential PR crisis which these days comes fast, often, and from ever angle. An approximation of the yell can be heard in the 1951 film The Red Badge of Courage, starring Audie Murphy. Though hardly a definitive description, having been published some 70 years after the war ended, Margaret Mitchell's classic Civil War novel Gone with the Wind has a character giving the yell sounding as a "yee-aay-eee" upon hearing the war had started. Taste: Caramel and sweet honey are most present with some raisin and cinnamon. The distillery was founded in 1888 and originally known as the Stitzel-Weller distillery. The original time-honored Rebel Yell recipedates back to 1849, when it was invented atwhat would become the Stitzel-WellerDistillery. Rebel Bourbon's history dates back to 1849 when William Larue Weller of the W. L. Weller & Sons Company invented the famous recipe that pioneered a wheat-based mash bill to replace rye. They recently dropped the "Yell" from the name. In addition to focusing on tradition while producing whiskey in a unique way, this distillery is known for its distinctive style of bourbon. As a result, to avoid further confusion, we used the names interchangeably throughout this post. At the Battle of Killiecrankie "Dundee and the Chiefs chose to employ perhaps the most effective pre-battle weapon in the traditional (highland) arsenal the eerie and disconcerting howl,"[7] also "The terror was heightened by their wild plaided appearance and the distinctive war-cry of the Gael a high, savage whooping sound "[8], A final explanation, with special reference to the rebel yells uttered by the Army of Northern Virginia is that the rebel yell was partly adapted from the specialized cries used by men experienced in fox hunting. Rebel Yell whiskey is produced by Luxco. This may be one of the most underappreciated wheated bourbons available. The name, Rebel Yell, was nothing more than a nod to the regions history by a multi-park company trying to be relevant to Virginians. It was renamed in 2011 after being sold to the Luxco company. Rebel Yell 100 was launched in conjunction with a rebranding of the entire Rebel Yell family. The "Rebel Yell" brand was created at Stitzel-Weller in the 1930s (with the idea of distilling it in limited batches for exclusive distribution in the Southern United States). Good one. It's the same recipe as the distillery's standard 80-proof expression, just bottled at a higher ABV. Virginia Bourbon is described as being Kentucky Owls rarest and longest-aged expression to date, and Barrell Craft Spirits was awarded Best Bourbon twice at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Rebel Yell is one of those old throwbacks. The move has been met with serious opposition by some fans. Rebel Rye is a rye whiskey priced at about $25 for a 750mL bottle. He explained on VH1 Storytellers that people were drinking "Rebel Yell" bourbon and thought that would be a great title for an album. They changed up the bottle in 2019, and in 2020 they transitioned to Rebel Bourbon. The standard price of Rebel Yell used to be right around the $12 mark. Midwest Grain Processor acquired the Rebel Yell whiskey brand fromLuxco, a Kentucky distillery that was founded in 1918. Like all bourbon, wheated bourbons are still required to contain at least 51 percent corn in the mashbill. While Rebel Yell Bourbon was sourced at Heaven Hill Distillery for the last couple decades, Luxco opened their own distillery in 2018. The W.L. Famous bourbon brand Rebel Yell has undergone a rebrand for a new generation of rebels. ago . As this article mentioned the rebel yell is not an offensive name. Find news, promotions, and other information pertaining to our diverse lineup of innovative brands as well as newsworthy headlines about our company and culture. Rebel Yell bourbon is a smooth, mellow whiskey with a sweet taste. Okay, so this isnt a great sip, but not awful either. For Blood Oath Pact No. Even though you can definitely find some on Kings Dominions Facebook page. Rebel Rye is a rye whiskey priced at about $25 for a 750mL bottle. We talk about bourbon, rye, or any American whiskey here (yes, even Jack). The company was eventually dissolved, and production ceased in the early 2000s. Reviews and discussions are encouraged, check out the stuff we've compiled in the sidebar and our review archive! Product Description. But again, I was never personally offended and never knew anyone who was. The entire Rebel Yell brand has been rebranded in conjunction with the release of Rebel Yell 100. Color: 1.3/2.0 on the color scale (russet muscat) Price: $60-70. Our traditional 80 proof Rebel Yell is an approachable bourbon, softer on the palate than the new 100 proof Rebel Yell, which brings a bit more bite in the finish, said head distiller John Rempe. Getting a little punchy here, down in the DeepSouth . Rebel Yell is the name of a brand of bourbon whiskey made in Kentucky. Then away to our left and rear some of Bragg's people set up 'the rebel yell'. Yet, it is a wheated bourbon originally created by the Stitzel-Weller Distilling Co. which means it shares an origin story with the unicorn brand Pappy Van Winkle. What does it taste like? Rebel Yelland Yellowstone were my veryfirst bourbons. Imagine how much the 'woke' folkswould flip out if they saw the old Rebel Yell labels! McDonald, F., (1978), "The Ethnic Factor in Alabama History: A Neglected Dimension". Rebel Yell, a Kentucky Straight Bourbon whiskey made by Luxcos new distillery, thelux Row Distillers, was released in 1972. Rebel Yell marketing support will increase by223% in 2015 vs. 2014 to help support thenew packaging and innovation launches. Hopefully the wood work they are doing will justify the new and improved name. I had to go back and do some sleuthing, because it was one of the first things I noticed, the rebrand of the 10-yr. TheBand of Rebels program will be revampedand refreshed to coincide with the launches. Someone might need to find something more important to worry about than the name of a roller coaster that doesnt belong to them. Check out what we are up to! Especially for those of us from the south. Rebel Yell Launches New Look for Brand Lineup | Kentucky Bourbon Trail Download the Kentucky Bourbon Trail Distillery Map Download Now Join Our Newsletter Mailing List Fields marked with an * are required First Name * Last Name * Email * If you are a human seeing this field, please leave it empty. Now at $17.95 for a 750 ml bottle, up from approximately $11-15 since Luxco's rebranding, it is neither a steal . They asked him for a demonstration of the rebel yell, but he refused on the grounds that it could only be done "at a run", and couldn't be done anyway with "a mouth full of false teeth and a stomach full of food". The yell has also been described as similar to Native American cries. Rebel Yell American Whiskey tries to hedge its bets and give consumers both rye and bourbon, but it succeeds in neither respect. I am only 50% impressed with the wit on this thread, Copyright 2022 Straightbourbon.com Last week Kings Dominion announced that it was going to rename one of its roller coasters from Rebel Yell to Racer 75. Privacy Policy. Is Rebel Bourbon good whiskey? In 1972, the Stitzel-Weller Distillery went out of business. These bottles may appeal to those looking for a private-label wheated bourbon experience. Despite not having any background in whiskey, Charles R. Farnsley the former mayor of Louisville created the brand to commemorate the centenary of the Stitzel-Weller distillery. All bourbon will have at least 51% corn. Rebel Yell whiskey was mashed, distilled and barreled at another facility. Thank you. Rebel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is a defiantly smooth wheated bourbon made according to its original time-honored recipe since 1849. It was becoming my go to, especially for its price point. Do you support the move? At one time, Rebel Yell Honey whiskey and Rebel Yell Cherry whiskey versions were available, but they are no longer represented on the companys website. Imageused underCCby Mr. Gray. I understand the outrage to the overarching politically correct trend, but I feel that its misplaced this time. "Charley (Farnsley) concocted it in about 1937, and his uncle (Alexander Thurman Farnsley) owned W. L. Weller, on Main Street, at that time, with the Stitzler-Weller people, and they bottled it for him." In Virginia battlefields, monuments, and references to the areas history are very common. Weller. [1] The origin of the yell is uncertain. Anecdotes from former Union soldiers described the yell with reference to "a peculiar corkscrew sensation that went up your spine when you heard it" along with the comment that "if you claim you heard it and weren't scared that means you never heard it". And hes worked with startup brands to turn local enthusiasm into national recognition. I've heard the 10-yr is the same juice from the Old Fitz decanters. The whiskey is made from a mash bill of corn, rye, and barley. The mouthfeel is quite thin, the profile is standard, and the alcohol flavor is more prominent than youd want. Changing the name of the Rebel Yell is turning your back on everything that made you what you are. Fifty years later, that pissed off quite a few people. If youre looking for a bourbon thats sure to get you noticed, rebel yell is the way to go. Landon Sampsell We will never go there again. The 40% alcohol by volume (80 U.S. proof) spirit was formerly produced under contract by Heaven Hill at its Bernheim distillery in Louisville. Many of these are answered in the article above. I honestly dont see what the big deal isbut then again, Ive never visited KD nor grew up in the south. It was on Dixie Highway so, naturally, we were the Rebels. 111 Reade StreetNew York, NY 10013Phone:212-240-9194, Hours:Mon-Fri 4 pm - 4amSat 5 pm - 4amSun 4 pm - 2am, Penelope Bourbon Distillery: A Tradition Of Excellence, It Is Perfect For Sipping Neat Or On The Rocks Wathens Bourbon: A Kentucky Tradition. Click here to learn all about mash bills. Quick everyone buy up the Rebel Yell bottlings before they are gone! I was told it was possible they were no longer making it. In 2016, construction on the brand new Lux Row Distillery was begun. Be More Rebel. I've got a few atop my fridge, one small batch and 2 bourbons 500 bucks for the lot. Confederate Defeat Re-examined". who-ey!' Considering the existence of many differing versions of the yell, it is possible that it had multiple origins. Then, they considered the potential blow-back against a name change versus the size of the parks visitor-base that wouldnt care or would even support the move. *(Interview with Nancy Farnsley, November 14, 1984) In the early 1980s, after some other changes of ownership following the break-up of Stitzel-Weller around 1972, the brand was purchased by the David Sherman Corporation of St. Louis, Missouri (now Luxco). Rebel yell refers to a war cry of the confederates. DEFIANTLY SMOOTH WHEATED BOURBON AUTHENTICALLY MADE, TAKEN DOWN, AND PASSED AROUND BY REBELS SINCE 1849. Disgusted with the name change. Rebel Whiskey is owned by Luxco, but the whiskey is distilled at Heaven Hill Distillery. For decades before building its own distillery it sourced whiskey from other producers based in Kentucky.