As another posted commented, Ive heard that construction sites are good places to get leftover lumber, rebar and possibly wire mesh. I promised it was for the animals, but they wouldnt allow it. Stop and think am I going to need something like this later. Whoa! It doesnt burn the plants like other fresh manure does. I also started potting baby French heirloom plum trees that grow all over my yard because I cant keep up with the fruit these trees put out every year. With the help of coupons, gardening and bartering I am able to squeeze the most out of our grocery budget and still manage to have a little fun along the way. Im involved in a group that gets veggies and fruit that the organic health food store is gonna throw out and then cooks hot vegan meals with them (after cutting out any bad bits of course). It will remove the glue without damaging the plastic. Horse Feeding Tools & Accessories Shop All. He was telling me just come look. I am totally jealous of you getting 2,000 bricks. Discover more about the small businesses partnering with Amazon and Amazons commitment to empowering them. Please email me @ mc2fgen@gmail.com. I use kitty tidy cat litter boxes to plant in.just drill holes in bottom and keep lid to store soil for next year.they stack beautifully and free.the boxes make great trash boxes too.I leave handle on for easy moving.only problem Ive found it cant get label off so I cover 28th pretty contact paper, What brand of green house is that and where did you get it. Have dozens of empty mineral tubs in orange and blue, more as the horses empty them. We live near each other. Your email address will not be published. He probably has a very strong work ethic and is ambitious, he is probably very busy spending much of his time at working very hard to support his family, from your description it sounds like he is doing very well at his job. Roses can be done the same way. PS- If any one is near me [ in the Hudson Valley of NY State] I have PLENTY of Posts to share.. Paul, MN, and the large supermarket grocery stores there also give away throw-away vegetables to pet owners. We have enough equipment to germinate seeds for years, plus give away equipment to our contract gardening partners. Without tubs $8, with tubs $13. Susan Hope this helps you. And I learned some great new things too. You can try putting them in the sun for a few hours. For plastics, I collected old pots for olives. Farmers Cooperative and Purina Animal Nutrition are partnering to repurposing mineral and protein tubs. Very good ideas for recycling. Over here (Kuwait) I randomly find great stuff near trash piles, aka plant pots and such. She was kind of a little standoffish about it also. we stopped for the same reason . For any and all sticky labelsUse patience and start a corner with a fingernail, then lift slowly straight up, dont pull back, just straight up. Then ask them. And then BAM! Holy canoli, I have been interested in starting a container garden, but didnt think I could afford it! Same thing has happened before with plants, and only at Home Depot. it works as well or better then black plastic or the commercial weed barrier. Now through the end of June, bring your empty protein, mineral, and equine lick tubs to your local Olsen's store and earn savings on Purina products! At home Depot the same thieves were poking holes as well . seemed to work well. I lived in Mpls/St. May leave them in the container as theres too much rock in the yard to plant them where I need to plant them. I was shopping in Sams Club one day and a lady was finishing up stocking their battery display. I thought I must have heard wrong so I went to take a look. Buckets, Tubs & Tanks Little Giant 2 Quart Rubber Feed Pan HP1 $6.99 Farm & Home Logo 5 Gallon Bucket Pink $5.99 Behrens Oval Tub Galvanized Steel - 5.5 Gallon $19.99 Farm Innovators 5 Gallon Heated Flat Back Bucket $47.99 5 Gallon Plastic U-Jug with Flexible Hose Opaque $24.99 Farm Innovators 1500W Cast Aluminum Submergible De-Icer H-419 $59.99 Dozens of empty mineral tubs in orange and blue. .even for preventing weeds in the backyard and front. (sigh) One of the few things I miss about the States. Thanks for all the comments. I will have to ask him if he can get the pots for meby the way, Lowes gives him killer deals on broken bags of potting soil etc..we never pay full price for it..you should ask at HD if they do that as well. Do you know the mailing places, shipping supply places, etc. This way you have time to sort them, clean them or barter/ trade or give away with other Garden Buddies who may need them! I know that is silly the will not give away anything where i live either. For my garden paths I pick up the plastic cover sheeting that comes with the bundles of lumber at HD and use it as a weed barrier HD just throws the stuff in the trash. We planted shrubs a few years ago and kept the pots and cut the bottoms off and use them around newly potted garden plants till they are established good and to help keep rabbits away from them. I put baking soda and hot water in mine. I break them down and put them in the garage until neededI always have the perfect box that I need. This entry was posted Repurpose your cattle tubs at Farmers Coop, from August 1 through August 20, 2022, and get $4 off a future Purina Protein Tub purchase! I was sharing this so if folks who need any help giving or receiving you can contact a Gleaners near you. You can also fill it up with water and add some vinegarworks well with pickle jars, milk jugs, orange juice jugsetc. I recycle it all and I dont have to go out and buy those same things most people put in the trash and then go out and buy it again, If you buy plants at lowes save the containers and reuse them. The height is 16 inches, so I filled them with soil and planted longer-type carrots there that I cant plant in the bed, since my soil is heavy with lots of clay. Cheap and easy: I have healthy vegetables just on my balcony. Its simple! I had picked up a Gardenia at less than half price simply because the leaves had somewhat withered due to lack of watering. You see, we make I think its 175% within poverty level. My gardening group, Decatur Is Growing Gardeners, (DIGG), was given permission to take what we could carry away before it was trashed. Yesterday, I went to the Home Depot to pick up a gallon of stain for the garden boxes. We have volunteer rasberries and dill. Holy canolies Batman, who on earth would PAY for a black plastic pot I thought. Dont forget that ranchers also have large plastic buckets molasses tubs that the cattle lick the molasses out of the tubs. For drop trays I use the plastic tops from Safeways bakery items. Quite park. Make offer I probably have 40 or 50 of them To put an ad into your Watch List, please Sign In or Create an Account . You can wash the container out with bleach, but the pickle smell remains. (roughly 30 gallon) size. Buckets, Pails & Tubs Shop All. Im in Florida. Research composting on the internet and articles there will tell you what ratios of green material , Brown material, etc to use. Later next day rinsed it, sniff tested it and no more pickle. They may not have the resources to go after you, but I for one dont appreciate paying for someone else to get free boxes, especially when they are easily sourced from the grocery store, your local buy nothing group, etc. About the man who bought his pots, well he probably doesnt have the time to look for bargains the way we do. Regardless of what people think, USPS is NOT Federally funded, they DO NOT receive Tax dollars. AGAIN TIMING IS THE KEY. I scored a number of large Tidy Cat Cat litter buckets from a friend who recycles everything and five tires from a local tire store. The last time I was given a significant discount. My neighbor feeds his cattle something that comes in huge plastic containers. If you live in/near a ranching community you are probably aware that cattle are given molasses in large round plastic tubs, about 18 tall and 24 diameter. Here are just a few of my favorites, narrowing this list down was tough! Hello, Holly! Price and other details may vary based on product size and color. So I did cause it was like 9 dollars. Great for gardens, flowers are yard.Tubs are 25-30 gallon tubs. I picked up a couple of these and tried everything I could think of even storing bleach in them, could never get the smell out. Carrot roots wont form a new carrot Usually, theyre very accommodating. If you have or know anyone that has empty unwanted cattle mineral tubs. keep a good balance bettween the drainage and humidity. Score! Your email address will not be published. I am a brand new grower, and can never get carrot roots to grow from scraps, but the tops grow well, then when I plant the carrot, it lasts three days and the tops wilt. Do you have a good way to get the labels removed? Made the mistake of packing up sturdy liquor boxes to mail magazines in to a charity. Most often, Ive been given the pot for free, (this has happened half a dozen times). We all have our unique talents. I am your typical housewife living in high maintenance suburbia. I have a handsome husband, 2 kids and a flock of pet chickens. The key is to wet them. As far as open bags of soil, fertilizer, mulch etc, we give a % of based on the amount gone. I did not know that Home Depot gives away their plant pots. Learn how your comment data is processed. Lift a corner and peel carefully. Ranchers are thrilled to get rid of the! No wonder every time I go shopping theyre all out of the frosting buckets! Poke a hole in the bottom and use either plastic or cardboard cartons. Nice to know Im not the only one who does this stuff. No luck. We use these types of tubs for: -storage If you need to start again use another corner. On the way there I passed by a man who was carrying a black 5 gallon plastic pot. for someone stocking shelves with the size box I need. Try your local cattle rancher or feedlot manager. They have a big banner in the garden department. 55 gallon minimum purchase. And then theres always Craigslist. Every time I go there I scoop up what they have. I also scored over 2000 bricks for garden paths and a truckload of rabbit manure to toss in the compost pile. Ive tried to bargain at other stores with gardening items has not worked. These mineral tubs! That was suppose to say. Right now I need a few big pots and will look for them in the recycling area in Home Depot. Over there he pointed, as he walked by, and they are only $9.42 each. Heat the labels up with a blow dryer and they will possibly peel off easy. This post may contain affiliate links. I go behind the local store and get all the 2 gallon pots ( without drain holes ) that they sell cut flowers in. I just love your blog. Behind the mall is where they keep their dumpsters/trash, and its a box wonderland. Not sure what Ill do with all of those, but I will be giving some away to friends. Knowing I needed to find a bunch for my greenhouse, I excitedly asked him where he found the black plastic pot. The ground is currently covered with snow and all, Looking for something special to make for dessert, Some of my days on Fair Isle were more windy than, Homemade scones with clotted cream and jam. Lowes informed me this weekend that they send pots back to the growers for credit or something like that. .use some salt and some dishwashing liquid and waterscrub, rinse real good and. Theyll have a lot of 50-gallon containers that their feed supplements come in. Thanks and Happy Gardening! Now there is also a plant nursery about a mile from me and they used to put those big five gallon or bigger containers out by the dumpster . Report I have collected soooo many Pots, Flats and big Containers over the years that it is now time to scale down! Vitalix quality livestock supplements lead our customers to new levels of performance, efficiency, convenience and profits. charge $6 $7 for a medium size box?? And last but not least is to call any Landscaping/ Tree Guys around [ who install Trees and Bushes] and ask is they have any Pots they would like to part with~. Where do you get those large galvanized steel troughs? On the way there I passed by a man who was carrying a black 5 gallon plastic pot . WRONG! So now I have to pay for all my containers. I do this with my daughters hard cover books and dvd cases also. Panera bread pickle buckets with coffee grounds in them. I am looking for 20-30 of them. and well figure some way to get in touch..OK? Thanks EVERYONE for all your great Tips and for sharing in OUR LOVE of Gardens! I finally got an answer on how to get them growing. It works really well! Good info thanks for sharing like you I refuse to pay for something like a plastic pot, just silly if you ask me. , I simply placed an add in my local free classified paper. If u live on the west coast and near a frys food store or u live towards the east krogers go to the floral dept they have plenty of really nice black buckets. We have four large round and four oval stock tanks that we got off Craigs list, Yesterday my oldest daughter brought us a pickup load of composted horse manured and . Home Other Auctions OF 16 EMPTY MINERAL TUBS I stopped by the entrance to a subdivision where a landscaping crew was replacing plants in the spring. my mother is 73 she loves her yard she needs some pots shes on low income so if you know anyone or yourself would like to get some extra pops out of your way please call me as 682-2399 area code eight one six. Our Lowes and Walmart still have a recycle area of pots and flats. Phooey. You only need a bit and minimal elbow grease. I just did the same thing here at my college, I noticed the gardener had place a bunch of the black plastics around as place holders but he also had many more standing by. Actually a little. Drop off empty, debris-free 200-250 lb cattle tubs, August 1 through August 20, 2022. without water for maximum portability, so you can take it with you. I know it works on bar codes etc. Then I go to grocery stores & Dollar General Stores which break them down & put them in carts in the back of the store. I just read your posts about boxes & yes I to refuse to pay for them. I know this is a tiny bit off subject but I agree to the fact that I never pay for boxes. A good addition to compost or soil! I save pickle jars, run them through dishwasher to clean them,but the lids still smelled . Lowes also recycles pots. Two words for any and all labels: GOO GONE! Sorghum was used to make confections and flavor meats by Americas settlers. Our county extension office even has a water saving workshop you can take as a homeowner and they give away a free rain barrel (with spigot), water drip systems, compost set ups and compost thermometers. Mr. Master Baker {who has seen me before} simply pointed to the back of the bakery and said Take whatever you want. And so I did. Last year my husband planted tomatoe and pepper plants so there would be a bounty crop. Asking $5 per tub, $20 for 5 tubs, and 30 for 10 tubs. As someone whos spouse works for home depot- the plants are given to store to sell. just have to tell him how many I want. My animals wouldve loved that produce! Phoenix AZ. Also, there is a strip mall near my house where several big retailers have outlet stores. Try rubbing alcohol. Required fields are marked *. I have found the boxes that bananas come in are great for moving boxes. Free is my favorite price also! Receive a $4 voucher for each 200-250 lb. Ive brought them up to the cashier, wanting to know the price and pointing out the fact the pot has been damaged. So Ive never stopped reading gardening books. Room for at least 5 more RVs. If you are anywhere near northern IL and would like to sell some of these please contact me. But lately they moved their dumpster, and I havent been able to get any more plants. I also noticed a couple of pallets there, and found more on the sidewalk in front of my local feed store. I know, cuz I worked for such places for years! If it will leach into the soil, why wouldnt it leach into the food being stored in it? Works for me. Plus, it only weighs 250 lbs. And are those nasturtiums in the gutters? The Growers dont want the pots back [ due to fears of disease and/or bugs, etc] and the FLORISTS or GARDEN CENTERS are stuck with them.. and usually throw them out in droves. Use them for their intention, and your getting a free box though. A good portion of my perennial garden is from alley specials. I also score free split bags of bird seed and chicken feed. I use the egg shells also. They feed minerals to their cattle and it comes in these big tubs. Traditional and Quad! $200. If any adhesive is left, use orange oil to remove it. We love our dried tomatoes! Mineral Feeders Mineral Appraisals w/Free Quotes Empty Liquor Decorators Then I started looking around. We used to have a dump store at our local dump where people could put usable stuff and others could take it. I saw online if you use equal parts baking soda and vegetable oil, make a runny paste, rub the paste over sticky residue and then let it sit for about 10 minutes. Cattle are your livelihood - tubs are our expertise. We have a chicken joint here that has 5 gallon buckets with lids ( I use them for storage too!) soak a papertowel or washcloth/towel with cooking oil and rub the label. Agreed! I also scores a very large blue plastic bin from a person moving out of the storeage unit next to mine. The pe, Keeping busy here at the @fairislestudio dyeing wo, Another beautiful sunset here at the @FairIsleStud, A few pictures from todays walk. I tried to contact the business online, but the manager at the location I went to never got back to me. Tarson Pools & Spas for more then 75 Years is your local dealer for industry leading inground and aboveground Swimming Pools, Spas, Billiards, Patio Furniture and More in Syracuse, NY Horse Feed Bins Shop All. After a couple of weeks of looking. Once sprouted, mix 1 cup of water with one tablespoon of cornstarch and make a paste. I love that guy . I have 3 in my back yard and my daughter just received 4 from her brother-in-law. why pay anything for pots when you can get them free that is if you know someone that has horses or cows. LOL, I call but the home depot store on the OR state border with Wa state which said they had no program like that then called the Wa state store which told me they did but the pot go back to the vender because there plants flowers and tree are vender item and not theres so to speak. I have an amazing hubby. So after seeing this done a few times, we stopped. No Smoking, No Pets. Up to 2 Adults. Thats right and its for a good reason. They arent giving them away now. When you take it out, pickle smell will be gone. Drop off empty, debris-free (manure, mud, molasses, etc) tubs at your local Farmers Coop feed store, and well give you a $4 voucher to be used toward a future purchase of a Purina Protein Tub. Each voucher is for ONE (1) $4 credit for the future purchase of a Purina protein tub. I save large prescription bottles and was having an awful time with the labels. For holes in the plastics, I use a candle :). Hope this helps you as it does for me!!! We also go to the dump every May when they have piles of free compost. Used Mineral/Protein/Molasses Tubs Needed - $1 (PORT ANGELES), Item #C0615: Bulk Molasses and Bulk Molasses/Kelp Liquid - $1 (Oroville), Commercial Corner Lot - $215,000 (Yoakum,), Commercial Corner Lot - $189,000 (Yoakum,). Works like a charm on price stickers as well as removing black marker from things you buy at a resale shop. I am looking for ranchers or farmers wanting to get rid of empty used mineral, protein, molasses tubs. We also give out the produce we dont need to cook with if we have too much. ), and everybody says, Gardening is the way to go! Well, for me, gardening seems expensive! They stay moist and take hold of the dirt in 2-3 days. One day I went to see what Starbucks had near their dumpster, and saw a lady with the Ann Taylor outlet unpacking merchandise in their office near the back door, which was open. It was worth the hour or so sitting through the talk and they even show you how to make the rain barrel, with tips on where to possibly find free food grade barrels. So my neighbor suggested getting free concrete blocks to build a wall on the sloped side. As a Postmaster, I have sent Postal Inspectors out to visit with habitual offenders. They were tired by the end of the day! I reluctantly drove to Staples to buy some. Start saving all your vegetable tri mings, cut grass, newspaper, old phone books(no slick color pages) and start a compost pile. They asked how much & when I said $2 each they said ok. Yeah, something seems inherently wrong with this. Although I have come to the conclusion it doesnt hurt to ask, they normally will say yes, and who cares what they think because they dont know me. I have 7 FEMA RVs I rent by the month. So what do you use the stock tank for in your greenhouse? . This year 2016 farmers can no longer have there orchards gleaned due to the chance of illness/diseases. For a plastic pot? Sturdy Hard Plastic Empty Mineral Tubs. Thank you for that very useful info. I hate to pay for useful things that other people throw away and I hate useful items going into the land fills. cut the bottoms out of the pots so the roots will go into the soil from under the pot, To the people asking about removing the labels on buckets. Heavy duty, black, empty protein tubs with lids $10.00 each Measurements on black tubs are as follows: 19 inches tall 22 total inches across from exterior of lip for lid to exterior of lip for lid and 21 inches on interior without counting lip of tub for lid Must buy minimum of 10. This is great quality buffle not native it was planted. You can call me or text me at 361 three three zero 96 zero four. WD-40 will remove most adhesive from most anything. I believe my mistake on that episode was not getting their manager. 20 Gallon Grow Bags - 5 Pack Plant Grow Bags, Extra Large Fabric Pot with Handles, Portable Outdoor Vegetable Planters Bulk, Great Raised Bed Alternative for Patio, Deck, Growing Vegetables, Gardening, Homz Multipurpose 17 Gallon Plastic Open-Top Storage Round Utility Tub with Rope Handles for Indoor or Outdoor Home Organization, Black (2 Pack), Rubbermaid Roughneck Storage Totes 18 Gal, Durable Stackable Storage Containers, Great for Garage Storage, Moving Boxes, and More, 6-Pack, Rubbermaid Commercial Products Feed and Seed BRUTE Container with Lid, 20 Gallon Trash Can, Food Storage, labworkauto Nursery Pot 1 Gallon 1 Gal 2 Gal 3 Gal 5 Gal 7 Gal 10 Gal 15 Gal 20 Gal 25 Gal Nursery Container Injection Molded Pot Fit for Plants Soil Growers or Hydroponics (5, 25 Gallon), IRIS USA 20 Gallon Stackable Storage Containers with Lids and Easy-Grip Handles, Durable Plastic Totes for Seasonal Clothes, Blankets, Sporting Equipment and Garage Tool Storage, Black, 4-Pack, Storage Bins with Lids - 5 Packs Collapsible Storage Bins with Wheels 20 Gal Stackable Plastic Storage Bin Organizer with Double Doors & Secure Buckle, X-Large Storage Containers for Home Organizing Clothes, Clear Tan Color Door(80 Quart/20 Gal), Rubbermaid Roughneck Clear 95 Qt/23.75 Gal Storage Containers, Pack of 4 with Latching Grey Lids, Visible Base, Sturdy and Stackable, Great for Storage and Organization, Akro-Mils 66486 12-Gallon Plastic Stackable Storage Keepbox Tote Container with Attached Hinged Lid, 21-1/2-Inch x 15-Inch x 12-1/2-Inch, Clear/Blue, IRIS USA 19 Gallon Heavy-Duty Stackable Storage Totes, Plastic Container Bins with Durable Lids and Secure Latching Buckles for Seasonal Dcor, Sporting Equipment, Garage Tool Storage, Black, 6-Pack, Rubbermaid 28 Gallon Jumbo Clear Tote, Pack of 2, Stackable, Large Capacity, Clear Bins/Bright Green Lids, Home, Garage, and Office Storage Organizer, Durable Snap-Tight Lids, IRIS USA 132 Qt. The sun, rain, and algal growths cleaned the smell, grease, and residue from them, and then Id just scrub them down in the bathtub with a brush and a sponge. Recycle Used Tubs. I dont. Thanks for this article.I never knew that Home Depot has a recycling program. Do have lids for tubs. Agreed I moved (packed into three large PODs) and used almost exclusively boxes salvaged from a local liquor store. The farmers buy maple oats in big buckets just ask them they might give them to you but you may have to collect them your self. I loaded up about 60 in my Toyota and brought them home. spent money to make them, to print on them and its their property. I live in the Lowerf Hudson Valley also and would love to pick up some pots from you. Try baking soda. anyways also in the floral dept at frys or krogers they have vegetables an fruit n floral seeds they must get rid of once a year. I always assumed they were kept and reused. Lucky you to get that catch! Cozy place. I spent almost the entire winter of 2008/2009 reading up on gardening. Let it sit over night and your smell is gone, Also fast food! I asked if i could have it, and was told no, it had to be put into the dumpster that stayed locked! If you dont have a truck, you can usually borrow one from a friend. I also had the good fortune recently of asking a landscaper crew if they were going to Keep their empty pots and was told, if I pick them up, I was welcome to them.