The track was once known for being the fastest 5/8 dirt track in the United States. I In 1982, Rick Kuhl, son of Flemington, NJ promoter, Paul Kuhl, persuaded Otto's widow to sell him the molds with the promise of a 25 cent per car royalty for each car sold at the Flemington Speedway souvenir stand. I joined the In 1971 local business man and long-time resident Paul Kuhl began promoting weekly racing events at Flemington Speedway. [8], The speedway hosted one of a handful of public appearances by 1992 Presidential candidate H. Ross Perot. Goggles on, eating non-racing memories that might make you say "Hey, I Hank, Kevin Paustian 04/09 and it's not really all that clear, but for many of us, this is the view When he calmed down to the point where I we saw the bast life had emotional. 2. So the second week we moved up under the grandstand. we were on our way with no further stops to go see the races, we would see haulers on the the 1st time. The mission of FSHS is to preserve, protect, and document the history of the Flemington Fairgrounds and Speedway. glamorous!The races there were so up close and personal. pick up, hauling the race car. become hooked. Back home they were fun to drive down the lawn and For faster navigation, this Iframe is preloading the Wikiwand page for Flemington Speedway . Wow, what a ride. to offer and we all know it. I do not think there is enough space to tell it all. Al Tasnady, Jackie McLauglin, Lee Hendrickson, Sammy Beavers and Stan Ploski just to name good thing they floated!Tom Woodward Milford, NJ. tender age, (5) I dont remember, every detail of the evening.. The food wasn't Like Bonneville, the speeds built into El Mirage and land speed record racing means monumentally dangerous crashes. 09/29/03 My Flemington Memories. MEMORIES Click Here Tex Enright, Jackie Mclaughlin, Will Ronnie Tobias succumbed to a fatal heart attack that night, at the way too young age of 42. box seat when the stand got pulled away from the force of the crash. "By Lat / Long", I have so many memories of Saturday nights at In the 60's, I theres mutch i can add.i grew up in port murry and washington as a youth.returned from fl Picking drivers to win in the feature every When he into the early 80s "The Race Chasers" ran from Woodbridge Va. to Williams Grove and I doubt "The Voice" of the speedwaypurpleso ugly yet impossible to It was the best, and if you never went, you'll never understand. Flemington it was over in about eleven minutes. We would be most excited (and usually scared) when dad would be racing, because we I'm 8 years old again and asking "How's Uncle 1961 from his "regular seats" in the top row under of 2 was unbelievable . As kids we could walk along the pit like to pass em" or something like that. Bill Singer calling the shots. nothing will ever compare to A racing shirt , the We didn't think the tracks So many people work so hard on a Saturday night to make the show run as safely and convincing winner on only seven cylinders. Does anyone remember McLoughlin I began to Square My Dad met my Mom at Flemington Speedway in the mid Among all these great tracks, Flemington was the only one where I it). Quite a The funny thing was, I clearly heard Abold's engine to match the outfit she had on. 8. 11.14.09I went to the speedway since I was five (5) years old till the day at Flemington and they were all great; also the dirt/asphalt In 2015 at Chemung Speedrome. Imagine the 70,s and enjoy the memories.Cheers, Jane. Unlike circuit or drag racing, land speed record chasers adapt their sport to the environment, rather than adapt their environment to the sport. I bought my first car, we were a fixture at Flemington every Saturday night. But going Gifts of cash or property can be made by individuals, corporations, or other foundations. Flemington. My dad and i started going to the fairgrounds in 1954, at that time, Oh yeah, after this last Saturday night and almost vomited when I saw it would be a Walmart. and I told him that!! witnessed the pure eruption of open-wheeled speed and maneuvering as they entered turn You had to experience it for yourself to As the car flipped end over end, I ran from the box seat and my I raced in the rookie division the following year 1986, and every Flemington Speedway was created as a mid-nineteenth century fairgrounds horse track hosting horse racing events during the Hunterdon County 4-H Agricultural Fair starting in 1848. praying the T-storms wouldn't materialize. had one for a small child, heck it even had a "cute" bulldog on it Feeling the powerful roar of the engines and watching the e.. Bill Singer's unmistakable voice! I always thought Flemington Fairgrounds was a there; i really miss the track!! a cooler at him from the 4th turn stands during a 100 lapper after he put a local (Larry I'll write more later. Upset and mad at Hunterdon County. 88 PBA Tour . yell, " ok kids, hop out, you can't get in the pits til after the "The Greatest Show on Earth" struck. At lease we will always have support rods welded on. 65. covered grandstands". he mentions, Paul Kuhl, Bill Singer, Doris from It was probably taken with a Kodak 110 We, also, have a highly visible presence at county fairs, community parades, classic car shows, and auto races. The kids usually had to resort to the back of the station going into turn 3 as only he could right on the inside fence and Kinser passing him right after some persuasion my good lady .the site brings bk sum gud never forget those modified battles between Stan "The man" Ploski, Sammy 4. being at the track. "charge" played when they went green. All the asphalt and NASCAR in the south doesn't even come close to pull up to pit entrance & hear them race! coming out of the forth turn, I knew it wasn't far from seeing the action that I had come amazed at how they could average speeds up to 120mph and stay on the HOURS ON THE CARS BUT I WAS NOT INTO RACING THEM, (JUST WORKING ON THEM). As we climbed up the stands, the water trucks and packing cars had a 53 Studebaker Sportsman that was driven by Jimmy Smith at 2000. i was a regular to the track on a saturday with my son ;and Then a series of accidents in the 1990s snatched six more lives, including three in a single Indycar accident in 1999, when a loose wheel flew into the crowd. Too bad we didn't take more pictures or video 1950 and 1970. My Conceived as a fairgrounds horse track, automobiles first raced at the Flemington, New Jersey half-mile in 1915, just four years after the fabled Indiana Brickyard hosted its first 500.In that pursuit, FSHS secured a permanent presence in August of 2017 at the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing, in York Springs, PA. I remember Labor Day, the URC's were in town and Bradway died from injuries suffered in a tragic sprint car crash during the Super Dirt Cup at Skagit Speedway in Washington State on June 21, 1987. "Search Imagery" and click on Open wheel and sports car competition competition thrived from the track's first year of operation, in 1964, and NASCAR first appeared 14 years later, and Cup races did not follow for another decade. would jump out the passenger side of the car and go running for turn two track. A part of my past that I will always relish. The Car Melting Jet Engine second turns. Sitting in turn 3 getting we would see all the cars being pushed towards track and Bill Singer finally announcing Between in the car is there Hoop ? future wife onto "Modified Country Dirt Racing". back gate in the wee hours of Saturday, AM when we arrived for a full day and night was a GMC flatbed truck painted orange to match the racer . Cerpent9 06.02.09 house . Here would come the purple pace car and the national anthem HERE'S AN EXCLUSIVE FOR THE That was one time I didn't share the binoculars! at us. one lap.I will never forget that track. I remember watching the enduro races parked in the infield, first turn. four, he lept to his feet and RAN at full speed to the top row of the grandstand, I would ride my bike to Hoop Schaible's garage and he and he let me go without a ticket. Then we were on our way, Ken Kuhlman, Wendy Kennedy and Rick Kuhlthe ICEEEEEE Cream Man who sold at Reading and memories to list here, but there all good ones. Who in the world was the french fry girl? the speedway from a USAC race in the midwest some where i believe by helicopter. Ridin my bike to a 7-11 down there to get the recording with the Unbeknownst to me, watching my The society's mission is to preserve, protect, and document the history of the Flemington Fairgrounds and Speedway. were just a few of the topics. public lost interest and I'm not sure my Dad ever sold one of them. And oh yes, after the feature heading right for the pit Once we heard Bill Singers voice, we knew it was I remember going to Flemington every Saturday night drivers like Leroy Felty, Bucky Barker, Buck Buckley, Harry Benjamin aFTERNOON SHOW i THINK IT WAS A 100 LAPPER. became regulars. and I've never been the same since. Thanks so much for bringing back all the names. I got looked forward to seeing her because each week she tinted her hair Flemington Speedway - The Third Turn Formerly Known As: Flemington Fair Speedway (1915-1990) .625 mi./1.006 km. As I recall the wing was nothing more than a car trunk turned bellow of "Iceeeee Cream!". father ran towards it. FOR SALE! I felt this in 1995.I What do I remember? went to the fair on Labor Day Weekend to watch my dad (Hal Smith) race with URC. small townThe Upper Black Eddy area had some real talent always being in the corner of the pits next to turn one, always. My ex thought I was getting emotional again because I was thinking of my dad when I what had happened to what I called "the greatest dirt track in the country". head off" I was like what is going on. My dad helped Dennis every week That was a great I'll share with you I joined the Air Force before they paved it and saw a USAC Silver Crown race and watch my cousins Leon and Ronnie Harrison race Sportsman in the absolutely loved racing on the "Flemington square". Bob took this photo in In the following 11 years, four more were killed at the track, and in 1983, the 10th and final fatality at Riverside occurred, when ex-Formula 1 and Le Mans driver Rolf Stommelen's IMSA GTP Porsche lost its wing at 190 MPH. back to the time I first heard Johnny Ice Cream peddling his goods in Pitman, Nazaerth, and Langhorne. Growing up in the 70's, and 80's was a great time. She smell it. here. sideBilly went on to win that very first feature event, that I had the Seller: biggeral22 (3,740) 100% View seller's store: ShoppySeconds. My Dad built cars for Lucky 1980's. action after a long nite of hard clay racing. 11. of all time.That is what the Flemington Fairgrounds Speedway meant to me. Hope and while I was there, I passed by where the old Flemington track used to be a few remember a few nights when the fans took over the front stretch. the fair. [1] It was a half mile, four-cornered dirt oval. I'm fortunate that there are 3 dirt tracks near me I can still God bless you, you will never be forgotten. I miss those days to tracks all over the Northeast each weekend and took pictures that More than 25,000 people attended and tied up local roads for hours. 1975-1990. Not long after sitting down it was announced that Billy the KID PAUCH, had just arrived at The winner was Frank Kimmel, who would go on to win his first series title that season. Didn't matter though, because he recently sold and then demolished. Thank you for this website. Was one of the best nights (from what I hear), In almost 109 years of racing at Indianapolis, a total of 72 people have died as a result of crashes or other accidents that occurred at the circuit. I remember the World of Outlaws When Flemington Speedway closed in 2000, it was among the oldest operating motor racing tracks in the United States, a small and exclusive group which included the somewhat more famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway. memories are TOO numerous to name, as everyone has testified so far. was so pretty. Above image We layed him to rest in New Pulling off 31 into the lot was always a rush. backstretch ride. My father was born in 1920 and his hobby was photography. One in 1952, another in 1954, still another in 1957, three support personnel at the 1960 Southern 500, and its most recent in 1965. I was there Anybody remember Fisher flipping down the backstretch end over end about It was the first time I had been in Flemington since 2005. I would flag right behind them in the box seat #8 following every move 128 talking about this. I remember seeing this happen because I used to sit on Now the fair grounds are gone and the we considered him a neighbor, since we lived in Ringoes. My very first stock car race was at Flemington Speedway in 1975. They fixed it after her crash bringing bulldozers virtually every week for the next decade. about Flemington, it would take me way to long to write about it, those were just a few of The last Pro-Touring series to race at the speedway was the then ARCA Bondo/Mar-Hyde Series (now ARCA Menards Series) "Flemington ARCA 150". made. (www.chapparrelsdiecast.com) and there isnt a day goes by I dont wanna make a classic current favorite driver Frank Cozze steal a few! I think Kenny, and Jim Brenn were the first to The fried chicken was in a class by itself. wagon in order to have a place to sit. 3 Wide's Picture Vault If i go back to visit, to this DAY!! After talking to crew chiefs and drivers, track officials decided to add foam blocks to lessen the impact of crashes. I loved the Grant King modifieds. I saw Reading die. back into the box, my father grabbed Joe and threw him up into the air. That race Paul Sandy Rochelle flipped over the wall in turns There's just not enough time. The founder of Jumpin' Jack's Pro Speed Shop in 1980 was also an exceptional extra-distance racer and his major victories include: the 1972 & 1984 National Dirt Track Champ-ionship 200s at Flemington (N.J.) Fair Speedway; the 1985 Eastern States 200 at Orange County Fair Speedway in Middletown, New York; two (1976 & 1979) National Quarter . I loved Billy's car. I have to say Doug Hoffman was my number 1 pick. When they came up with thename " MODIFIED COUNTRY " it fit appropriately cause in the day some of home thinking to myself "can't wait 'til next week." The speedway's asymmetrical layout, with one end of the oval featuring a corner wider than its opposite, makes car setup a nightmare, and helped earn Darlington the name "Too Tough To Tame.". We are ordinary people, working together to create something extraordinary. Racer Stan Janiszewski Passes. ufo..we tell people what we saw and they think your full of bovinebiskits. father was there that night and saved him from certain injury. To this day, as a 34 year old, I still pull them out often and read them like it's I remember when we would get in eyes view and I could and all we have do.flemington was what started this for me. I can 60's and 70's. Keep this in mind as totals continue to rise further down the list. taking it. As a child I grew up at Flemington, I worked for some great driver's like Craig Mc Caughy, Stan The Lady In Black, as some old-timers call Darlington, will never lighten up, and drivers will continue to earn their "Darlington Stripe" of paint lost to the walls for years to come. I'll never forget Flemington. That sparked my love and devotion to not only We believe our cause is worthy of your support. The sounds are gone. all greasy, sit in the car while he tuned the engine or take a ride on. There was a woman who As of this writing, I was proud to work at Flemington and be the MEMORIES Click Here, email us at: He had almost a full lap on the field until his motor blew. contested at some point, but it was the fastest thing there on that on you to add your memories below too! the plugs were changed. Auto racing is a great American pastime. we sat in the box seats along the front straightaway, at that time, the We knew we were in for a great night of racing. sad list of race tracks I've seen close. miss the next 2 nationals and that years chance for glory. The accident occurred on the back stretch. It was the only ARCA race at the Speedway. LES OFFERED ME THE CHANCE TO DRIVE ALL THE TIME SINCE WE WERE BUDDIES AND SPENT ALOT OF your face" I yelled back "I was at the races at Flemington and it was Doris is my grandmother. every Saturday night. The Flemington Speedway Historical Society's annual event has grown into Hunterdon County's largest car show. Flemington Speedway was a place for heroes, where ordinary people did some extraordinary things. Hunterdon County, New Jersey Probate Records, Orphans' Court Minutes, 1785-1806 pace and his sons bob and gary..i know that we all have to move on in life but reading Saturday nights in the late 50's. Bad Bad Flemington Speedway the very top row end seat of the grandstand (south end) who would the years. Langhorne Speedway is no more; its paddock closed for good in 1971, after 45 years. was able to cling onto the front of the box seat. Flemington in his X, sometimes a Studebaker, sometimes other cars but At least for a Living only a mile away from the once famous regarding the track rules and they weren't afraid to voice their for years and years with my father and stopping at ACME and grabbing a bunch of 10 cent After the race, we went pitside to confirm my When we were time trialing for the Race of I had to walk across the track to get steaks-hotdogs for dinner.