There are a few guinea pig references, but it's primary focus is on cats and dogs." After gaining experience in raising and training various pets, I realized the need to provide answers to frequently asked questions from pet owners as well as insightful advice I've learned over the years to assist pet parents raise healthy and well-behaved pets. It's hydrating, yes. Females or young males rarely have this problem. ; 4.2 Coconut Is a High-fat . Good House Pets.com does not provide veterinary advice. Coconut water has a lot of health benefits and it is filled with myriads of important nutrients. Guinea pigs should not be allowed to eat coconut shells because of the possible choking hazard and the problems that may arise in the GI tract due to its blockage. We can therefore conclude that the harm outweighs the benefits if guinea pigs drink coconut water. Yes, coconut oil is safe for guinea pigs if it's given properly. In addition, Vaseline can make it difficult for your guinea pig to regulate its body temperature, which can lead to health issues like heat stroke. Whether youre in a fuckbuddy relationship, or youre getting together with someone you just met on the Local Sex app, some good music from a good sound , If you are looking for a great camera phone but dont want to spend a lot of money, you dont have to buy a mobile phone for the camera alone and accept the shortcomings. The whole CAT rating system can get pretty confusing so bear with me here. You can also look for them online on Amazon or your preferred drug store. We have highlighted , We all crave the best of the best when it comes to tech, but unfortunately, many industry lies have been fabricated in order to sell and make money, and one of these is outrageously expensive HDMI cables. Despite the high amount of saturated fats (about 89%), guinea pigs can eat coconuts safely. Youve used coconut oil to clean your guinea pigs grease glands. Guinea pigs are essential family members; like any other pet, they need proper care to stay healthy. To find out exactly what guinea pigs get from eating coconut, here is what the nutritional value of 50 grams of coconut looks like: As can be seen from the composition coconut offers benefits, with the exception of large amounts of fat and potassium, so moderation is very important. We must first emphasize that coconut milk is not actually a dairy product, it is an opaque liquid that is obtained by grating the coconut fruit itself. Good luck buddy! When guinea pigs eat coconut chips they get more fiber which is great for their digestive system. Why do you put Coconut Oil on guinea pigs? It is also worth noting that there is no evidence that coconut oil offers any benefits for guinea pigs, so it is unnecessary to use it on them. However, others believe that coconut oil could be harmful to guinea pigs. How are CAT-5, CAT-5e, and CAT-6 Ethernet Different? on 3 Reasons Why Wired Ethernet is Better Than Wi-Fi, Best Speaker Systems For The Bedroom: Set The Mood For Local Sex Hookups, Best Phone Camera For Dating Apps And Social Media, Why Expensive HDMI Cables Are Unnecessary. Some of the benefits of using baby oil on a mini pig include: Ultimately, it is up to the individual pet owner to decide whether or not to use baby oil on their mini pig. In fact, it can actually help to soothe and protect their skin from further damage. As an already fussy 'connoisseur' of coconut oil, I was thrilled to learn about their small family-run business of very high quality oil and products for pets. Yes! It also has anti-bacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties which prevent infection. While feeding coconut meat to your cavy friend, it is wise to give him a little amount on an occasional basis. It is also relatively inexpensive and easy to find. Protein and carbs are also found in coconuts not necessarily the best source of those. Good House Pets is a beneficiary of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Network, an affiliate advertising program that allows websites to earn advertising fees by advertising and referring to Amazon.com. The second step is to apply some Organic coconut oil around the area. Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum! This special Coconut Oil is made from the purest, fresh organically grown coconuts. We have created this post specifically for you. My pig's skin looks good there so I do not mess with it. However, coconuts contain a fair share of vitamins like ascorbic acids, B6; and minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, selenium and copper. Remove the cotton ball and dispose of it. Whether youre looking to improve their coat or dry skin conditions, treat minor wounds, or combat fungal infections, coconut oil is an essential product for any guinea pig parents. You almost kind of have to rub off the excess, or you will have a very buttery pig . Always consult with a vet before changing your skinny pig's health routine. In addition to its main components, neem oil contains a variety of other beneficial ingredients. Rubbing coconut oil on your pets skin another great way to use it. Some people believe coconut oil is safe for guinea pigs, as it has been used for centuries in many cultures for various purposes. Coconut oil can be added to water, but it is not necessary. There is no definitive answer to this question, as there is a lack of scientific evidence one way or the other. No. I'm Celestine Gomez, worked for 5 years in an animal shelter in Los Angeles, California. Coconut oil with its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties contributes to improving the condition of the fur of your furry pets. By rubbing it gently on affected dry patches of skin and hair, youll be able to help your guinea pig feel more comfortable while also encouraging the growth of new, healthy skin and fur. The edible part of coconut contains many important nutrients that can provide nourishment to guinea pigs. Guinea pigs often have dry ears that can scale and accumulate dead skin. The coconut oil simply melts on their skin - and it's a massage for your pig. It may not display this or other websites correctly. You can find it in most health food stores. But, it is and here we are! One of the most common challenges of using coconut oil on guinea pigs is knowing how much to give them. There's nothing quite like getting away from it all in nature. He said: "Thinking about how I have to rub out my guinea pig with coconut oil every 3 weeks because she has dry skin." And he's not lying. However, guinea pigs should not give large quantities of coconut oil. Giving guinea pigs coconut shells as chewing toys to reduce their teeth growth is certainly not a good idea. Next, cut the coconut fruit into smaller pieces to make it easier for your pet to eat the pieces without the risk of choking. Any wax or stains can be removed by the mineral oil. So it not like I can use the shampoo on the ear direct. Yes, guinea pigs can eat coconuts, they are safe for them as long as they eat them in moderation. You may need to change the diet and include more hay and fiber in the diet. In todays article, we will find out how good coconuts are for guinea pigs, how to give them to eat, and what are the risks if they overdo eating these fruits. Can guinea pigs be fed with coconut milk? If you are using coconut oil for the first time, start with a small amount and increase gradually. Coconut has no toxins, so make sure the guinea pigs enjoy the benefits of this dessert for them.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'petsanimalsworld_com-netboard-1','ezslot_21',684,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-petsanimalsworld_com-netboard-1-0'); read more: Can Guinea Pigs Eat Endive? The only downside to coconut water is the large presence of potassium and phosphorus, which in large quantities will adversely affect the health of guinea pigs, so pay attention to the amount. (428), canola (428), extra virgin olive (405), and refined coconut oil (400). Chop the large chunk into few pieces and place it in their food bowl to make it easier for them to handle and bite. For wound treatment and dust shielding, simply apply a small layer of coconut oil to the affected area. Lewis3265 Jun 30, 2015; Living with Piggies; Replies 10 Views 20K. We really recommend this book to learn more. Another challenge people often face getting the oil off of their guinea pigs fur. You just need to watch the amount you give them - too much and they could become overweight. Because it is high in fat, coconut should never be part of your pets regular daily diet. Yes, guinea pigs can drink coconut water, but in moderation, and in very rare situations. Get it today to clean your guinea pig ears and bottom. In this case, we will highlight the steps to follow when using mineral oil. Once all the soap or oil is gone, remove your pet promptly and wrap them in a towel to stay warm. 3.1 Enhances the Gut Health; 3.2 Strengthen the Immune System; 4 Risks Of Overfeeding Coconut Flesh To Guinea Pigs. However, you should be careful not to allow the oil to flow down through the ear canal. It may not display this or other websites correctly. The fatty acids in the coconut oil help to improve the absorption of nutrients and help to keep your guinea pigs skin healthy. is coconut oil safe for guinea pigs skin. Hello, i was given the same advise today as I'm terribly concerned with piggy scratching and biting. Yes! Copyright 2000 - 2023, Guinea Pig Cages. Male guinea pigs have a scent gland or grease gland above the tail. Jenny and I had the pleasure of meeting the ladies who run this Coconut Oil business in the Philippines at the trade show we attended recently. In fact, it is the best cleaning agent you can get. Although most guinea pigs will want to eat coconuts, it may be that your guinea pig refuses to eat these fruits. Having noticed the inherent passion and zeal in me to care for pets, I took a step further to create a team of I and like-minded individuals to provide an informative resource in order to broaden the knowledge base of a regular pet owners. You may need to check these two to save the situation. Coconut oil is perfectly fine to use on hairless guinea pigs as well! If a cavy itches for to long it can cause seizures and eventually kill them. To use coconut oil on your guinea pig, introduce it to their diet by mixing a small amount into their food. Coconuts are very well received and enjoyed by cavies but if you decide to feed them make sure the shell is removed because swallowing it can lead to choking or GI obstruction. But has any research been done into the safety of it as a food for guinea pigs? Coconut oil can help improve your guinea pigs coat and skin condition, as well as help, prevent mites. I have a jar of coconut oil that I bought for cooking but I read you should use cold pressed coconut oil on them. Coconut is also a great natural food source of lauric acid, which has antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. Register for free to enjoy the full benefits. juin 21, 2022 by . Coconuts are best given as treats and not as a staple food source. If possible, remove the coconut shell, which will make it easier for the guinea pig to eat the fruit, without any complications. Hydrogenated CO should be avoided by everyone. It's so rewarding to help pets look and feel their best. Then let your pet lick the oil directly from your hand! As for coconuts, the fleshy part known as coconut meat has a high fiber content which enables smooth movement of food materials in the digestive system preventing constipation. In guinea pigs, undiluted Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil was found to not be a sensitizer. Adding Coconut Oil to your guinea pigs diet is easy and can significantly impact their overall health. Adding coconut oil to your guinea pigs food or water is a great way to give them the benefits of this nutrient-rich oil. What are the nutritional values of coconut? Unfortunately, I am severely allergic to coconut oil so that is out of the question and I was wondering if there is any safe alternatives This is only . Not only does it help in hydrating the skin, it also eliminates the coats bad smell, if any. Pet owners must weigh these pros and cons before using baby oil on their mini pig. Just be sure not to share your guinea pig too much, as this can lead to health problems. Cleaning helps to remove the earwax and dead skin that can attract mites and make your cavies uncomfortable. Coconuts are more common in tropical regions and have become a popular heritage of the tropics. When it comes to getting the speeds or the connection convenience you need for your average work-day, you shouldnt be messing around. Is coconut oil safe for guinea pigs skin? For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. heart problems fats help raise cholesterol and cause heart problems in guinea pigs. I'm currently a pet groomer, and I love it. It is more often used to treat skin complaints like dandruff. Any highly refined coconut oil (the type we use for cooking for example) is a no-go, as it can contain harmful chemicals. [MENTION=35754]Waveley[/MENTION] - Scratching and biting sounds like your pig has mites, are you sure they don't? Overall, coconut oil is a safe and effective way to treat many skin problems in guinea pigs. The information on this site is not intended as a substitute for veterinary guidance and we cannot give you medical advice. Coconut oil can help soothe dry or irritated patches on your guinea pigs skin. However, there is a great need to apply moderation when feeding your piggies mainly because of the high level of fat in coconuts. This will help your guinea pig to absorb all of the nutrients in their food and will also help them to stay hydrated. If you used coconut oil, a small amount of guinea pig-safe shampoo may be needed to wash away all of the oil. Coconuts are a delicious fruit and are very popular all over the world, and the largest producer is Indonesia. The most common skin problems in cavies are ringworm (a fungus) and mange mites. Keeping your guinea pigs grease glands clean cannot be overstated. You can also consult with your veterinarian for guidance. When used in moderation, coconut oil is safe for guinea pigs and can be a great addition to their diet. Welcome to Good House Pets. Unlike many other harsh chemicals, topical application of this natural oil will not harm your guinea pigs delicate skin. While its true that anything in excess can be harmful, coconut oil is an excellent source of healthy fats for guinea pigs and can provide many benefits. This will allow your guinea pigs body to adjust to the new oil. Its also very useful in helping to treat dry skin which unfortunately many guinea pigs suffer from. I'll use myself as a guinea pig and state that since I've been eating avocados regularly for at least 53 years . Just be sure to always check with your vet before using any kind of topical treatments. You might be interested in Can Guinea Pigs Eat Coconut? Here are some benefits of eating coconut for guinea pigs: Only a small amount of coconut is good for guinea pigs if overeating can cause the following side effects: Accidentally or carelessly, a guinea pig can wait for an opportunity to eat large quantities of coconut. Also, ensure that you remove the shell covering the coconut meat to avoid any form of complications. Waveley Member. If the infection is caught on the early stages, coconut oil can be used as a cheap and effective treatment on the affected areas. Coconuts are classified as one-seeded drupes. If you haven't checked out Peony the Pig, I highly recommend it. Dietary intake is the only source of potassium in the body. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Only about 10% of the fat content of coconut is unsaturated meaning that the remaining 90% is saturated. The fatty acids present in coconut are lauric acid, myristic acid and palmitic acid. But, providing fans and customers with the best , Ethernet and wifi are a couple of complicated subjects theres no doubt about it. You may need to do it daily, weekly, or monthly. Therefore, precautions must be taken in determining what food is best for them. Here for You! oil is an essential part of a guinea pigs, guinea pig is initially resistant to eating food with Coconut Oil. A teaspoon of oil rubbed into the fur BEFORE a bath nourishes the hair and skin. Dietary fibers play a great role in aiding digestion in guinea pigs. The peel can cause choking problems in their digestive system.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'petsanimalsworld_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_2',692,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-petsanimalsworld_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0'); Stick to the coconut fruit, and avoid the husk, there is no reason to expose your pets to unnecessary risk. Guinea pigs need plenty of fatty acids in their diet to stay healthy, so many owners wonder if Vaseline is a good source of these fats. When choosing coconut oil for your guinea pig, look for cold-pressed virgin coconut oil that is free of additives or preservatives. Yes. But for maintaining guinea pig hygiene, you can consider it for cleaning ears and bottom site. Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. In his new book, available here, the ladies who run this business are prominently featured. They will not harm your little piggies. Virgin coconut oil is the best type of coconut oil to use for guinea pigs, as it has not been subjected to the same high temperatures and processing that can damage the nutrients in the oil. This means that it is not easily digested by the body and can cause problems if ingested in large quantities. They're all grown now, but they keep me busy! Lets Discover, Why Do Hamsters Live Such Short Lives? Not only does it have a wealth of health benefits, but it is also a natural source of Lauric Acid. If you notice any adverse effects, discontinue use immediately and consult your veterinarian. They say avocado is good for skin, hair, cholesterol and blood pressure, but you may not care about those benefits if this study is true. A good rule of thumb is to add one teaspoon per cup of food. Maintain hygiene by regularly cleaning and grooming your guinea pigs. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. These include fatty acids, triglycerides, sterols, terpenoids, and other natural compounds. digestive problems coconut is a very difficult food for guinea pigs again because of the fat and therefore too much coconut will only make the work of your pets digestive system more difficult. It turns out many studies use hydrogenated Coconut Oil along with other unhealthy, cholesterol-inducing ingredients in their diet in order to induce heart disease in guinea pigs for further research. I love animals, and I have three beautiful boys. ; 2 Is Coconut Healthy For Guinea Pigs?. Fatty acids are known to be beneficial for skin health, while triglycerides and sterols can help to reduce inflammation. It can be used on skinny pigs to keep the skin in good condition. Read Our Medical Disclaimer. In fact, it is the best cleaning agent you can get. prevention of constipation again due to the fiber that coconut has, it prevents constipation in your pets. breaking news kittanning, pa. true freshwater flounder; lululemon goals and objectives Just like hays or grasses, coconuts can limit the growth of teeth in cavies. its a miracle in a jar. 3 Reasons Why Wired Ethernet is Better Than Wi-Fi. In addition, coconuts provide protection to the body against harmful microbes like bacteria, viruses and fungi. 2.1 Coconut Oil Guinea Pig's Skin; 2.2 Reduce Inflammatory Reactions; 3 Health Benefits of Coconuts for Guinea Pigs. Coconuts also have a number of nutrients, especially fiber, potassium, lipoproteins, and other healthy ingredients. * Of course, standard disclaimers, if you have any doubts or concerns about anything care or diet-related, please contact your vet. I think the Quinn's coconut oil is refined, you need cold-pressed virgin coconut oil for the piggies. Apart from food, coconut oil can be used directly on their skin, which will provide hydration to the skin of guinea pigs. Guinea pigs can be fed coconut milk once a month.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'petsanimalsworld_com-netboard-2','ezslot_22',696,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-petsanimalsworld_com-netboard-2-0'); Yes, guinea pigs can eat coconut chips to improve their nutrition and health benefits. The answer is yes, guinea pigs can eat coconuts, despite the high saturated fat content of about 89%. Coconut oil also has antibacterial and antifungal properties, which could benefit guinea pigs. Guinea pig fights can lead to skinny pigs being more injured because of their lack of coat. Wipe off any excess fat with a paper towel. Jul . Just take some coconut oil on your hands and massage the skin of your furry pet. Carrington Farms brand. If you dont feel comfortable with feeding your cavies coconuts, then your local pet store should have some cool treats like biscuits, hays, or pellets. It can certainly help soothe inflamed skin and helps heal wounds. Are you dreaming of spending quality time with your guinea pigs, and you just dont know how to do it? It can help to keep the pigs skin moisturized. Guinea pigs bottom gets dirty when it is on a poor diet or unsuitable lifestyle. Coconuts contain some antioxidants that help to fortify the immune system. It has many benefits, including: Coconut oil can also be added to food. Is coconut oil safe for guinea pigs' skin? Doing this will help keep your guinea pigs skin healthy and free from dryness or irritation. The area around this gland may become greasy, sticky, and smelly over time. Coconut oil is also a natural antibacterial and antifungal agent, which can help treat minor illnesses or infections. What can I use coconut oil for on my skinny pig? Coconut oil is also low in vitamin C, which is vital for the health of your Guinea Pig. This means that most creams, fragrances, and other human-grade . A few include fats (basically the coconut oil when extracted), protein, carbs and also a good amount of dietary fibers.