"[69], On June 12, Hubbard was awarded a divorce in the County Court of Sedgwick County, Kansas on the basis of Northrup's "gross neglect of duty and extreme cruelty", which had caused him "nervous breakdown and impairment to health. Excerpt from Wikipedia: "Operation Snow White was a criminal conspiracy by the Church of Scientology during the 1970s to purge unfavorable records about Scientology and its founder, L. Ron Hubbard. Hubbard rescued a girl they were using. That's what he was really worried about, that she would reveal during the case that she was only relaying his orders. member, wrote to Karl Germer to explain the situation: As you may know by this time, Brother John signed a partnership agreement with this Ron and Betty whereby all money earned by the three for life is equally divided between the three. A Wikimdia Commons tartalmaz L. Ron Hubbard tmj mdiallomnyokat. Scientology is a set of beliefs and practices invented by the American author L. Ron Hubbard, and an associated movement.Adherents are called Scientologists. After the British Sunday Times newspaper published an expos of Hubbard's membership of the O.T.O. Mary Sue conspired with her subordinates to concoct alibis for Meisner and work out how to keep him out of the hands of the authorities, keeping him in hiding under a series of false identities. by nevalalee February 1, 2017. In August 1978, she was indicted by the United States government on charges of conspiracy relating to illegal covert operations mounted by the Guardian's Office against government agencies. Alternative_Effort 7 mo. ", "Court upholds convictions of 9 Scientologists", "Church of Scientology of California, Plaintiff, Mary Sue Hubbard, Intervenor, vs. Gerald Armstrong, Defendant Memorandum of Intended Decision", "Son of Church Founder Is Sued by Stepmother", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mary_Sue_Hubbard&oldid=1139846347, This page was last edited on 17 February 2023, at 05:30. Though I will be hospitalized probably a long time, Alexis is getting excellent care. Mary Sue Hubbard and the GO, however, did not simply capitulate. She may have a record . Northrup, who was beginning a pregnancy, was said to have been delighted with the location. Who Is L. Ron Hubbard's Wife? While previously published books have mentioned part of this . She played a major role in the creation of Dianetics, which evolved into the religious movement Scientology. He persuaded Northrup to pose as an old friend writing in support of his appeals; in one letter, she claimed untruthfully to have "known Lafayette Ronald Hubbard for many years" and described his supposed pre-war state of health. David was an original deputy to the late founder L. Ron Hubbard and had been working in the upper hierarchy of the Church since he was a teenager. Quentin committed suicide in Las. She was also a very attractive woman, which helped to draw people into the Church. Her lawyer, Caryl Warner, also worked the media on her behalf so that Northrup's story received maximum publicity. The Hubbards lived at a house on Tatum Boulevard (now 5501 North 44th Street)[10] on the slopes of Camelback Mountain in Phoenix for the remainder of 1954. She accompanied her husband to Phoenix, Arizona, where they established the Hubbard Association of Scientologists the forerunner of the Church of Scientology, which was itself founded in 1953. In three years of marriage to Hubbard, she had set up home in seven different states and had never stayed in one place for more than a few months. She played a major role in the creation of Dianetics, which evolved into the religious movement Scientology. She persuaded him that the compulsion instilled by the communists would be dissipated by going ahead with the flight: "Well, I have to follow their dictates. The dispute immediately became front-page news: the newspapers ran headlines such as "Cult Founder Accused of Tot Kidnap", "'Dianetic' Hubbard Accused of Plot to Kidnap Wife", and "Hiding of Baby Charged to Dianetics Author". [76], A Scientology spokesman informed the press that she had been left "a very generous provision" in her husband's will,[77] though the details were kept secret. [61], Northrup filed for divorce on April 23, 1951, charging Hubbard with "extreme cruelty" causing her "great mental anguish and physical suffering". Northrup filed a kidnapping complaint with the Los Angeles Police Department on her return home but was rebuffed by the police, who dismissed the affair as a mere domestic dispute. ), a secret society led by the English occultist Aleister Crowley, where she was known as "Soror [Sister] Cassap". [27] The Royal Scotman was later renamed the Apollo. According to him, Sara had served a stretch at Tahatchapie [sic] (in a desert woman's prison) and was a dope addict. She and Hubbard eloped, taking with them a substantial amount of Parsons' life savings and marrying bigamously a year later while Hubbard was still married to his first wife, Margaret Grubb. Outspokenly disloyal to the U.S.[56], In another letter sent in March, Hubbard told the FBI that Northrup was a Communist and a drug addict, and offered a $10,000 reward to anyone who could resolve Northrup's problems through the application of Dianetics techniques.[57]. Interviewed more than 35 years later, Northrup stated that she had signed the statement because "I thought by doing so he would leave me and Alexis alone. His wife is Mary Sue Whipp (30 October 1952 - 24 January 1986) ( his death) ( 4 children), Sara Northrup (10 August 1946 - 13 June 1951) ( divorced) ( 1 child), Margaret Louise Grubb (13 April 1933 - 24 December 1947) ( divorced) ( 2 children) L. Ron Hubbard Net Worth By this time the Foundation had filed for bankruptcy, and Hubbard's erstwhile backer, Don Purcell, was left to deal with its substantial debts. The marriage ended in 1951 and prompted lurid headlines in the Los Angeles newspapers. According to Northrup's later recollections she repeatedly refused him but relented after he threatened to kill himself. She soon became involved in a relationship with Hubbard and married him in March 1952. in October 1969, the newspaper printed a statement attributed to the Church of Scientology (but written by Hubbard himself[80]) that asserted: Hubbard broke up black magic in America L. Ron Hubbard was still an officer of the US Navy because he was well known as a writer and a philosopher and had friends amongst the physicists, he was sent in to handle the situation. "[53] She was bundled into the back of a car and driven to San Bernardino, California, where Hubbard attempted to find a doctor to examine his wife and declare her insane. [40], Dianetics became an immediate bestseller when it was published in May 1950. [27] The wedding attracted criticism from L. Sprague de Camp, another science fiction colleague of Hubbard's, who suggested to the Heinleins that he supposed "Polly was tiresome about not giving him his divorce so he could marry six other gals who were all hot & moist over him. She played a leading role in the management of the Church of Scientology, rising to become the head of the Church's Guardian's Office (GO). I cared for her rather deeply but I have no desire to control her emotions, and I can, I hope, control my own. An explorer, a mystic, a bestselling author, a nuclear physicist . On 9 June 1951, Sara signed a handwritten statement scrawled on the notepaper of The Hubbard Dianetic Foundation Inc. of Wichita agreeing to cancel her receivership action and divorce suit in California in return for a divorce "guaranteed by L. Ron Hubbard" in mid-June. "[11], Helen was far less sanguine, writing in her diary of "the sore spot I carried where my heart should be",[11] and had furious sometimes violent rows with both Parsons and Northrup. About Harry Ross Hubbard. [25][26], Around the same time, Hubbard proposed marriage to Northrup. She gave Hubbard an ultimatum: get treatment or she would leave with the baby. "[72], After divorcing Hubbard, Northrup married Miles Hollister and bought a house in Malibu, California. "[43], By October, the Foundation's financial affairs had reached a crisis point. Not only was the GO not handling these suits, the GO, and particularly Mary Sue Hubbard, even refused to answer our questions about the suits because they viewed themselves answerable only to persons within the GO Our attempts to get information were thwarted by Mary Sue Hubbard. Upon L. Ron Hubbard's death in 1986, David became Scientology's leader, with Shelly at his side. "[14] Cyril Vosper, one of the Saint Hill staff at the time, noted the differing impressions left by the Hubbards: "I always had great warmth and admiration for Ron he was a remarkable individual, a constant source of new information and ideas but I thought Mary Sue was an exceedingly nasty person. Northrup and Hubbard had frequent rows and his violent behaviour towards her continued unabated. [49] The situation soon became tense again; Richard de Mille, nephew of the famous director Cecil B. de Mille, recalled that "there was a lot of turmoil and dissension in the Foundation at the time; he kept accusing Communists of trying to take control and he was having difficulties with Northrup. Fearing arrest, he fled to Washington, D.C. with a handful of aides while Mary Sue was left behind in Florida continuing her day-to-day management activities. This work took a variety of forms, including public relations, legal actions, and the gathering of "intelligence" on perceived enemies. I remember going past a Lincoln dealer and admiring one of those big Lincolns they had then. . Mary Sue Hubbard (ne Whipp; June 17, 1931 November 25, 2002[1]) was the third wife of L. Ron Hubbard, from 1952 until his death in 1986. From 1941 to 1945 she had a turbulent relationship with her sister's husband John Whiteside Parsons, a pioneer in liquid-fueled rocketry and head of the Pasadena O.T.O. Separation papers being filed and divorce applied for. The late wife of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard left her home to her prized pooch, who survived its master by 11 years and lived it up in a multi-million-dollar Los Angeles pad. In the end, Hubbard's wife and the others were found guilty of charges of conspiracy and burglary. [18] Hubbard and Northrup left for Florida towards the end of April, Hubbard taking with him $10,000 drawn from the Allied Enterprises account to fund the purchase of the partnership's first yacht. She began a relationship with L. Ron Hubbard, whom she met through the O.T.O., in 1945. She became involved in Hubbard's Dianetics in 1951, while still a student at the University of Texas at Austin, becoming a Dianetics auditor. Her husband's reaction was one of fury, blaming Quentin for in his eyes letting him down. Her father had just died and her grief appeared to aggravate Hubbard, who was attempting to restart his pre-war career of writing pulp fiction. [25] He wrote: Sara, my sweetheart, is young, beautiful, desirable. My wife Sara."[74]. Lafayette Ronald Hubbard ( Tilden, Nebraska, 1911. mrcius 13. A chance meeting with a man named Jack Parsons led to Hubbard and his new friend performing a bizarre ritual. His wife was in prison and his estranged son believed he was either dead or insane. A change in the visa regime in the UK enabled foreigners to remain indefinitely if they had sufficient means to support themselves. Despite her complicated feelings toward the man, Sara was overwhelmed with grief and sadness. Sara Northrup Hubbard, 2nd wife of L. Ron Hubbard Hubbard's strange writings did seem to imbue him with a special kind of confidence and belief in his own abilities, which for many seemed like supernatural powers. On its most basic level, "The Master" is a primordial myth about a man seeking his lost father (Freddie's dad, we learn, died long ago) and a father seeking his lost son (Dodd's own son . A thought nagged away at the young filmmaker as Hubbard expanded on the theme, "I could well understand hopping into bed at night with one's wife, rubbing one's hands together and saying 'we made $10,000 today dear'," says Nairn, "but I couldn't understand his own wife believing it all, believing in out-of body experiences and previous lives. "[45] A few days later while still married to Northrup he proposed marriage to Klowden. In this same year, Hubbard launched a new religion based on two books he had written, Dianetics: The Evolution of a Science, and Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health. She began an affair with Wilfred Smith, Parsons' mentor in the O.T.O. It is, of course, rather ironic that the person who authorized G.O. Mary Sue Hubbard was still asserting her authority over the GO from her position as Controller. [37] She gave birth on March 8, 1950 to a daughter, Alexis Valerie. She was convicted in December 1979 and was sentenced to five years' imprisonment and the payment of a $10,000 fine. Northrup's daughter Alexis, who was by now twenty-one years old, attempted to contact her father but was rebuffed in a handwritten statement in which Hubbard denied that he was her father: "Your mother was with me as a secretary in Savannah in late 1948 . As far as I know, all his policies and doctrines were race-neutral, which is a big deal for someone from the 1940s. I went back several times later to make sure that she wasn't going to rat on him. I have many experiments in mind.[16]. "[62] He later told Hubbard's unofficial biographer, Russell Miller: I liked Sara and Miles a lot. . His family wasn't there. "[52] She left Palm Springs on February 3, leaving Hubbard to complain that Northrup "had hypnotized him in his sleep and commanded him not to write. [38] The raids were in response to the federal government's discovery that the Church of Scientology had been carrying out a secret and highly illegal "dirty tricks" campaign against government agencies, individuals, and institutions deemed to be enemies of Scientology. By this time, Mary Sue had become a key figure within the nascent Scientology movement. The final experiment L. Ron Hubbard's daughter the one he wanted to disappear surfaces online By Tony Ortega, February 6, 2017 . [9], In June 1941, at the age of seventeen, she began a passionate affair with Parsons while her sister Helen was away on vacation. She had been part of Jack Parsons' group because "she had been sent in there by the Russians. I doubt that she would face what you have with me or support me as well. Currently missing somewhere in California. [46] In March 1976, she approved an illegal plan to obtain "non-FOI data" from the government, meaning classified documents not available through the Freedom of Information Act.