Alexander Married in Fifth Av. Sheldon Whitehouse (born October 20, 1955) is an American lawyer and politician serving as the junior United States senator from Rhode Island since 2007. THRONG AT THE CEREMONY", "MISS ALEXANDER TO WED S. WHITEHOUSE; Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles B. Alexander Engaged to Diplomatist. He has worked to enact bipartisan measures to reduce carbon pollution and boost Americas clean energy economy. Asked whether such clubs should continue to exist, Whitehouse said, "It's a long tradition in Rhode Island." Now, possibly only Mitt Romney could beat him . He was previously U.S. Attorney for the District of Rhode Island, from January 20, 1993 to June 8, 1998, and the 71st Attorney General of Rhode Island, from January 2, 1999 to January 7, 2003. As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. So please, fire away with your questions, and let us find the answers. Now he's set his sights on the changes at the supreme court 'It's not just that our base didn't care as much.. In September 2014, he was one of 69 members of Congress to sign a letter to then-FDA commissioner Sylvia Burwell requesting that the FDA revise its policy banning donation of corneas and other tissues by men who have had sex with another man in the preceding five years. She is the daughter of Henry Herman Mumm Thornton, who was a banker and businessman. Caroline Crouch's parents promise to care for her baby after she was killed by husband and say 'her memory will live on', Son, 31, charged with murdering his mum, 63, who was found with serious stab wounds at a house in Potters Bar, Millions with asthma must get priority Covid booster jabs to lower risk of death, charity says, British shows like The Crown and Downton Abbey could be booted off European streaming sites in response to Brexit, Estate agent, 22, left with black eye after stranger pounces and punches her in unprovoked attack, Wills and Kate did not meet Harry after Philips funeral over fears conversations would be leaked, historian claims, Hungry elephant smashes through a kitchen wall to search for snacks in Thailand home, Democratic Senator Sheldon Whitehouse slammed for membership of 'all-white' Rhode Island beach club, Philippines' President Rodrigo Duterte threatens to JAIL people who refuse to get their Covid jab. Learn more. The stocks in question were for the Target Corporation and Tesla, Inc. Whitehouse's office acknowledged that he missed the disclosure deadline, blaming it on a staff transition in his office. She is the granddaughter of James Worth Thornton and Elena Mumm. Here are 10 names", "Democratic Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse violated a conflict-of-interest law with 2 late stock purchase disclosures", "Sen. Whitehouse missed deadline to disclose purchase of Target, Tesla stock", "Whitehouse Violated Conflict-of-Interest Law with 2 Late Stock Purchase Disclosures, Says Report", Senate Judiciary Committee and Subcommittee membership, Senate Environment and Public Works Committee and Subcommittee membership, "Political Scene: Candidates weigh in on gambling, recession, Fane tower", "Sheldon Whitehouse's Frustrating, Illogical Remarks on D.C. Statehood", "Cosponsors S.631 116th Congress (20192020): Washington, D.C. [4] Their son, and Whitehouse's nephew, was Francis Henry Coventry, 12th Earl of Coventry. After completing his high school education, he went to Yale College from where he earned his Bachelor in Arts degree in 1978. His mother was director of the Washington Center for Attitudinal Healing. The bride is the daughter of Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., and Dr. Sandra Whitehouse of Newport. Father of Charles S. Whitehouse. Sandra Christine Thornton, a daughter of Daphne Sellar Thornton of Newport, R.I., and Henry H. M. Thornton of Ridgefield, Conn., and Sheldon Whitehouse, a son of Charles S. Whitehouse of Marshall, Va., and the late Mary Rand Whitehouse of Washington, plan to be married in September. Senator Sheldon Whitehouse has been married to his wife, Sandra Thornton Whitehouse, since 1986. [42], Whitehouse opposed intervention in Iraq. Things changed for the better in 1994, when he was appointed as the United States Attorney for Rhode Island by the then U.S. President, Bill Clinton. Well, how well do you know about Sheldon Whitehouse? [62][63], After meeting with Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson in September 2008, Whitehouse came under scrutiny due to possible insider trading, when he sold a number of positions, valued at least at $250,000, over the next six days. We welcome a photo of the bride or the couple to accompany the announcement. No, Sheldon Whitehouse isn't gay or bisexual and is straight. Sheldon Whitehouse began his career in 1982 working as a clerk for Judge Richard Neely of the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia. Despite the comments made by Whitehouse on Friday June 18, 2021, his office denied that the club is discriminatory. "[74], John Rothman portrayed Whitehouse in the 2019 film The Report. He worked there till 1983. '"[36], Whitehouse dismissed the Climatic Research Unit conspiracy theory: "Climategate should properly be known as Climategate-gate because it was the scandal that was phony. Ambassador to the United Kingdom.[21]. The supposedly progressive critic of systemic racism was approached by a GoLocal Providence reporter who asked the senator about his position in the club and he said I think the people who are running the place are still working on that and Im sorry it hasnt happened yet., The senator seemed unfazed by the reporter's accusations and after being asked if all-white clubs should still exist in 2021, Whitehouse said "It's a long tradition in Rhode Island.". Official", "G. B. WHITEHOUSE KILLED; Member of Navy Fighter-Pilot Squadron Dies in Pacific", "Robert O. Blake, career diplomat and former U.S. ambassador to Mali, dies at 94", "MISS WHITEHOUSE BECOMES ENGAGED; Barnard Alumna Will Be Wed to Robert O. Blake, Who Is State Department Aide", "Miss Sylvia Whitehouse Is Wed To Robert O. Blake in Newport; Couple Attended by Eight at Nuptials in Trinity--Bride Wears Parisian Gown", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Edwin_Sheldon_Whitehouse&oldid=1137942323, George Bruen Whitehouse (19231944), who was killed in action in the, This page was last edited on 7 February 2023, at 05:20. whitehouse worrying about money-what joke!He's a fop to the manor born and thinks he's doing his noblesse oblige by deigning to serve us rabble(he probably refers to us as the hoi poloi)-this empty suit has embodied the Peter Principle of rising to one's level of incmpetence.He was an uninspiring US Attorney-I worked with his office during my last two years on my job and he was the worst US Attorney I can recall here or in Illinois,where I was stationed previously.He promoted all the wrong people and ignored the best assistants he had.He then moved on to the Attorney General position where he demonstrated that he couldn't protect a 15 year old witness-he apparently had no idea how dangerous the people were against whom she was going to testify.Well,shame on him.He is so out of touch with average people I can't describe it.He reminds me a lot of the John Laroquette character in "Stipes"-clueless and arrogant- a bad combination.It is sickening to think he wields the power of a US Senator.Of course he insulated his children from the Providence school system.I'm not a hypocrite-my children attended Providence schools and my daughter at least got a good education-my son attended Central,which was a sewer. Sheldon Whitehouse got married to Sandra Thornton after their long term romance. TimesMachine is an exclusive benefit for home delivery and digital subscribers. The picture must be a digital photograph that a photo professional has saved in jpeg form, at 200 dpi. As we had thought, most readers are using a guide that comes with their cable or satellite service instead of the one we print. She is the daughter of Henry Herman Mumm Thornton, who was a banker and businessman. Whitehouse won by 30 points, with 64.9 percent of the vote in Rhode Island". United States Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) spoke at MIT on Nov. 20 about efforts to deny the legitimacy of climate science and how such misinformation can be combated. Senator Whitehouse has been at the center of bipartisan efforts to pass laws overhauling federal education policy, rebuilding our nations infrastructure, reforming the criminal and juvenile justice systems, protecting Americans from toxic chemicals in everyday products, and addressing ocean plastic waste. Miss Thornton, whose parents announced her engagement, is a graduate of St. George's School and Yale University and a doctoral candidate in marine biology at the University of Rhode Island's Graduate School of Oceanography. [8], Whitehouse was educated at Eton College, an English boarding school for boys in Eton, near Windsor. var rcds = document.getElementById("rcjsload_b42b6d"); Alan Rosenberg is The Journals executive editor. Harriet was the daughter of Charles Crocker and Mary Ann Deming. 2020 THE SUN, US, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | TERMS OF USE | PRIVACY | YOUR AD CHOICES | SITEMAP, Senator Sheldon Whitehouse has been the Rhode Island senator since 2007, Sheldon Whitehouse alongside wife Sandra Thornton Whitehouse, Bailey's Beach club that is supposedly for white members only. Company Type: The daughter of banker and businessman Henry Mumm Thornton, Sandra comes from a prominent Rhode Island Family. Sheldon Whitehouse is an American politician. Founders: [33], Whitehouse supports a more progressive tax system and strongly opposed the Bush tax cuts and proposals to repeal the estate tax and the Alternative Minimum Tax. 2. Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. Whitehouse has not stated outright how he will vote on the DeVos. So while were not going back to a full-page grid, were going to give these readers a half-page that will be more useful to them: the daytime listings. Her step-grandfather was prominent essayist and critic Edmund Wilson. [12], In 2007, the National Journal ranked Whitehouse the second-most liberal senator.[13]. Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. So, how old is Sheldon Whitehouse in 2023 and what is his height and weight? Apart from that, theres no record of his previous relationship(s), if any. Her step-grandfather was prominent essayist and critic Edmund Wilson. Ramaswamy, a 37-year-old multimillionaire entrepreneur who founded a major biotech company, announced on Feb. 21 that he is running for president as a Republican. In March 2022, Business Insider reported that Whitehouse had violated the STOCK Act, which is designed to combat insider trading, by failing to disclose two personal stock purchases by the federal deadline. [75], Pete Davidson portrayed Whitehouse in the cold open of the season 44 premiere of Saturday Night Live.[76]. In the spring of 2007, Whitehouse joined other senators in calling for Attorney General Alberto Gonzales's resignation.