2023 The David and Lucile Packard Foundation Privacy Creative Commons, Susan Packard Orr and Nancy Burnett Retire from the Packard Foundation Board of Trustees. Although he and his advisers say there is no personal edge to his campaign, Mr. Hewlett is directly confronting Ms. Fiorina, who was recruited from Lucent Technologies two years ago. acceptance comes self-acceptance so in very real way, friendships complete us. Packard was the first woman to serve on the board of Churchill Downs, Inc. She served for two terms, from 2004 to 2010. Fully Human Leadercast Twitter chat with Leadercast Self-Esteem in the Time of Pandemic [14] In the book Packard uses personal anecdotes from the breadth of her career[15] as well as stories about other businesspeople who successfully managed various competitive situations. So Andrew got a, just graduated college, he got a job, hes moved to Chicago. It notes that big mergers in the fast-moving technology business rarely, if ever, succeed. The merged company, she argues, will be more competitive against I.B.M. In 2015 Packard wrote the book New Rules of the Game: 10 Strategies for Women in the Workplace, which applies the concept of gamesmanship for the use of women in their careers. Well, somewhere deep inside that I didnt know existed at the time, emotional maturity was beginning to grow, which is the state of mind and heart and spirit that will always trump ego. They have two children and four grandchildren. 1. The foundation's future is inextricably tied to Hewlett-Packard. For him it was all about learning, keeping your mind open and active. Susan Packard is co-founder of Scripps Networks Interactive and former chief operating officer of HGTV. She holds memberships in many national- and state-level professional organizations, including the American Counseling Association (ACA), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Rehabilitation Counseling Association (ARCA), and the Pennsylvania Psychological Association (PPA). She served on the board for two terms. Susan Packard is co-founder of Scripps Networks Interactive (NYSE: SNI) and former Chief Operating Officer of HGTV. Susan Packard Orr, the chairwoman of the family foundation, appears to share some of Ms. Fiorina's views, while her brother, David Woodley Packard, announced last month that he opposed a merger with Compaq. SHARES. Whose are you? This week, before the vote, Hewlett-Packard's management and its adviser, McKinsey & Company, are to meet with members of the foundation board. The message is to think like a winner and act like an athlete, but at the same time dont be afraid to use humor in the workplace. The information has been obtained from sources we believe to be reliable; however no guarantee is made or implied with respect to its accuracy, timeliness, or completeness. Those two people were very important to me in deciding that I wanted to have a career and to do something that my brain was always active.. Nancy Burnett joined the board of trustees in 1964. I did return to work and after some additional time there, I departed. They see all of you. Id throw my hat in the ring that day for the title, the power, ego drivers. Overcame: The challenge of finding market share for a startup cable station. VIEWS. She understands that business success built on this foundation is long-lasting, which continues to benefit our company today., A primary lesson Packard takes from her career is that while preparation, experience and training are invaluable, will beats skill every time.. She has served on the University of Tennessees College of Communications Board of Advisors. To . or knows people who work for H.P. Her brother, David, now 61, was a classics scholar at Harvard in the 1960's, but he found himself attracted to a niche known as computational linguistics. Among the challenges she faced: getting HGTV distributed by cable and satellite providers -- and getting paid by them. [12] In addition to her business duties, she aligned Scripps corporate citizenship with external organizations, including Mobile Meals and Habitat for Humanity.[13]. CableWorld magazine honored her among The Most Influential Women in Cable numerous times. For more than three decades, the Stanford r She has been recognized by industry peers, colleagues and employees as an innovator, role model and mentor. More significant, Walter Hewlett, the lone remaining family member on the board of Hewlett-Packard, is actively lobbying institutional investors to vote against the deal. Scripps William R. Burleigh Award for Distinguished Community Service. Get market updates, educational videos, webinars, and stock analysis. They became academics and philanthropists with interests in music, the humanities, conservation and marine biology. This book could become a new guide for women in business, helping any one of you at home work your way to the top of your industry. One of the core values of HGTV that she helped instill was openness. His question is one that Ms. Fiorina poses to the opponents of the merger. She served in that role until 2017, when her son Dave Orr was named chair of the board. Packard says thats how she arrived at New Rules of the Game, a book she hopes will become a handbook for women in business. But there is also a note he put in that said, There will always be Easter baskets. So that Andrew knows wherever he goes, our hearts are with him. All rights reserved. Her advice to other businesspeople: Id be aware of everything I could know about the consumers, all their habits, lifestyle purchasing, media ones, getting into the heads of who these people are that Im going to be offering this service or product to. The value of its roughly 201 million shares in Hewlett-Packard have dropped to $4.4 billion from more than $13.5 billion in July 2000, as the company's stock price went to $21.99 on Friday from more than $67 a share. Realtime quote and/or trade prices are not sourced from all markets. In his meetings with major investors, Mr. Hewlett has been presenting the arguments laid out in a 69-page analysis of the deal prepared by his adviser, Friedman Fleischer & Lowe, a San Francisco investment firm. Theyve guided our work as a family foundation in which the next generation is deeply engaged. She is active in national, local business and community affairs. TRENDING: Tech Stock In Buy Zone As It Joins Sector Leaders' Final Four, Packard helped start Food Network, DIY Network and Cooking Channel. She was also president of worldwide distribution for the Scripps cable brands. In the end, he said, ''I guess a decision comes down to your gut feeling about things: If not the merger, then what?''. [18] New Rules of the Game is intended to serve as a guide for women looking to take on leadership positions in business.[19]. Packard held a variety of senior positions at Scripps Networks Interactive, (NYSE: SNI), the leading developer of lifestyle-oriented content for television and the Internet. Whose am I? is also answered by these gentlemen. In 2019 she authored Fully Human, Three Steps to Grow Your Emotional Fitness for Work, Leadership, and Life. Susan Packard is co-founder of Scripps Networks Interactive and former chief operating officer of HGTV. Its been said a friend is someone who knows Yet they share a common lineage and legacy, and a few inherited the engineering gene. This is her third book about emotional fitness and the many shapes it takes in people's lives, and how it is essential to living with peace and joy. That meant a lot of concept selling, plus theLowes (LOW) Home Improvement companysaw the benefit of getting in early as a charter sponsor. Get instant access to exclusive stock lists, expert market analysis and powerful tools with 2 months of IBD Digital for only $20! My husband Bill and I have a friend named Patrick. Orr and Burnetts sister Julie Packard, who joined the Foundations board of trustees in 1972 and continues to serve in this role, reflected, Susan and Nancy truly embody our parents values and have had a tremendous influence on the trajectory of our foundation. Scripps' radio division, to help start HGTV. fill our yearning to belong and to be accepted just for who we are. New channels under the SNI umbrella that Packard helped start include Food Network, DIY Network and Cooking Channel. She was the 2nd employee of SNI and helped to build the company to a market value of over $10 billion. He is survived by his wife, Martha Susan Thomas Rudisill, daughter, Mary Harden Rudisill, both of Daniel Island, Charleston, daughter, Susan Reeves Rudisill Myers and her husband, Lt. Col. (retired) Andrew Herbert Myers, PhD., grandsons, Thomas Jesse Benjamin Myers and William Joseph Rudisill Myers, all of Spartanburg, S.C., a sister, Cecily . She is past vice chair of the board of an independent collegiate day school and an advisor on job training programs for the homeless as board member of Lazarus Ventures LLC. She has spent a lifetime serving in leadership positions in the sector, including as chairman of the board of the David and Lucile Packard Foundation for over 20 years. Scripps William Burleigh Award for distinguished community service. . Persevere. Clark currently serves on the Board of Trustees for the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, and is the granddaughter of the hospital's founder, Lucile Salter Packard. The companys media portfolio includes popular lifestyle television brands HGTV, Food Network, DIY Network, Cooking Channel, country music network Great American Country (GAC) and the Travel Channel. We were celebrating 20 years of being on the air. The company's media portfolio includes popular lifestyle . She is the author of New Rules of the Game: 10 Strategies for Women in the Workplace. . But a new set of drivers was beginning to emerge in me. [11] In her final role before leaving SNI, Packard served as the Scripps Networks President of Brand Outreach. For Susan Packard, there really was no place like home. Packard started out in the cable programming television business with the sales division of HBO in 1980, eventually becoming a regional manager in charge of distributing HBO to cable operators. 12 'Dirt Cheap' Stocks Are Due For A Rally, Analysts Say, Top Funds Shovel Billions Into These Five Sectors, Tech Stock In Buy Zone As It Joins Sector Leaders' Final Four. None followed their fathers to work at Hewlett-Packard. Something that felt bigger than my day job. Our programming folks nailed the brand and maintained a brand discipline in all they did. HGTV initially focused its programming on everything regarding home improvement, with design, gardening and other how-to categories coming later. Following an 11-year career as a case manager/therapist delivering inpatient/outpatient treatment for adults affected by addiction, she returned to school and earned her Ph.D. in Counselor Education from the State University of New York at Buffalo. She received the Woman of the Year award by Women in Cable & Telecommunications (WICT) and was profiled in Modern Visionaries, a book chronicling the contributions of women to the cable and telecommunications industry. In addition to leading a small software company, she holds an M.B.A. from Stanford, where she is a trustee. Co-founder of HGTV and Scripps Networks Interactive. She was the 2nd employee of SNI and helped to build the company to a market value of over $15 billion. They have a son, Andrew. She has served on the University of Tennessees College of Communications Board of Advisors and in 2004 she was named a College of Arts and Sciences Outstanding Alumni at Michigan State University. She enjoys walks with her husband and golden retriever (Dougal) and attending movies. TimesMachine is an exclusive benefit for home delivery and digital subscribers. She created and served as president of Scripps Networks New Ventures, where she oversaw the development and launch of DIY Network, Fine Living Network, and online interactive platforms. Last week, he traveled to New York and Boston, meeting privately with several large institutional shareholders. Ms. Orr, 55, is chief executive of a small software company, the Technology Resources Assistance Center, which makes specialized management programs for nonprofit groups. NBC sent her to an executive program at the University of Virginia's business school for exactly that purpose. Headquarters: 202 Beaver St. 3rd Fl., Sewickley PA 15143. Audited Financials, 990 Tax Forms, and Annual Reports. So with emotional intelligence, we are aware of emotions in others, and you might be surprised how many people are not. ''It's not even close.''. As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. I won't tell you they agree on everything, but they get along and listen to each other.''. She has extensive work experience in the fields of addictions treatment, corrections, community based mental health, and counselor education. In those days, they vacationed together, and even today the Hewletts and the Packards jointly own land, including a 28,000-acre ranch in Northern California. In recognition of her outreach work, she received the E.W. In addition to the Packard Foundation, she is a current or previous board member of several prominent nonprofit organizations including Stanford University and the Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. Packard was the first woman elected to serve on the board of directors of Churchill Downs, Inc. (NASDAC: CHDN), the owner and manager of the Kentucky Derby and other horseracing properties. Emotional maturity is often confused with emotional intelligence, and theyre two different things. And out of that came these core values. I find myself talking about deaths of despair in every workshop I give now, because an underlying social factor in these deaths is horrific loneliness. Along the way, about nine years into the building of the business, something happened that changed my life. With more than 10 percent of the company's shares, the Packard Foundation is the largest single shareholder in Hewlett-Packard. She was also president of worldwide distribution for the Scripps cable brands. I have friendships today because, yes, I have more time, but also because I have put elbow grease into these relationships, and found others who were willing to do that too. We adopted Andrew from overseas, so when he asks, Whose am I? Its a bigger question for him than for a lot of kids his age. She was granted emeritus status in 2022. This picture was taken last August. After graduating from Michigan State with a master's in advertising in 1979, she joined fledgling Home Box Office. Cookies help to provide a more personalized and relevant experience for you. But Stephen C. Neal, a partner at Cooley Godward, a law firm representing Mr. Hewlett, said: ''When Walter voted for it as a board member, I think he and everyone on the board understood that he might vote differently as a shareholder. Packard is the author of New Rules of the Game: 10 Strategies for Women in the Workplace (February 2015). Packard was so impressed with his pitch, she joined the venture as its second employee in 1994 behind Lowe, who's now SNI's CEO. 7094 computer. She enjoyed hiking, reading, and music. From About 85 percent of its assets are in shares of Hewlett-Packard and Agilent Technologies, a scientific instrument maker spun off from Hewlett in 1999. She began her cable career at HBO, then moved to NBC and was part of the start-up team for CNBC. These values include compassion and support, openness, shared responsibility and work-life balance. Genealogy for Susan Cole Packard (Reynolds) (1827 - d.) family tree on Geni, with over 230 million profiles of ancestors and living relatives. Today HGTV is available in more than 99 million U.S. homes and distributed in 175 countries and territories. A home channel was something that really called to me., She answered with drive crucial in any endeavor: If you can find a place where you can really feel passionate about what it is you are working on, and see it has something larger than just you, youll have a much better chance for success and for personal satisfaction in your work.. While at CNBC, she received a call one day from Ken Lowe, who was in charge of E.W. So like most things I did back then, impulsively, I threw my hat in the ring for the job. Orr joined the Board of Directors of the David and Lucile Packard Foundation at age 21 along with her three siblings,[7] and was appointed chairman of the board in 1996 after David Packard's death.