"Velo Dog Revolver: Snubby snoopy sniper", "5,75x30 R/5.5 Velo-Dog/5.6 Velodog/5.6x29.5 Velodog/5.8 Velo Dog/6 mm Velodog/.225 Velodog/5.5 mm N 8/GR 646/SAA 0410/ECRA-ECDV 06 029 CBC 010", "Belgian .22 Short Mini Pocket Revolver (Velo-dog)", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Velo-dog&oldid=1141397554, Short description with empty Wikidata description, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, A Velo-dog makes a minor appearance as an assassin's concealable pistol in the novel, This page was last edited on 24 February 2023, at 21:36. If buyers of these guns had been limited to cyclists these little revolvers would have quickly faded into obscurity, but given the high levels of urban crime in European cities around the turn of the century they had a much broader appeal. Like the French guns they were all double-action revolvers, and initially were hammerless, though later guns with exposed hammers were made. Webley No. This is a neat piece. Retaining 85% + original finish with much peacock bluing. This is a Velo Dog folding trigger revolver. Sharpe has 4.7 grs of Unique driving a 45-gr bullet at 1955 fps with a pressure of 34000 psi in the Hornet. The revolver has a 1.5" barrel a. on Jan 12, 2019. . Brass case, boxer primed. In this article, the photo shows a Belgian-made Velodog made for an 6,35 mm caliber cartridge. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. The name "Velo-dog" comes from the portmanteau of the words "Velocipede" (an early type of bicycle) and "dog" which alludes to the fact that the Velo-dog was designed to protect cyclists from wild dog attacks. The Velodog was a French design by Charles-Franois Galand specifically made for carry by cyclists to defend themselves against dogs. There was no shortage of small revolvers available at the time; most countries produced them, particularly Belgium, where they never met a patent they didnt want to violate. For comparison todays NAA mini-revolvers are 4-inches overall with a 1.12-inch barrel. The Galand company produced their Velo Dog style revolvers from 1894-1940 in their proprietary 5mm chambering. The 19th century was one of industrial revolution and wonder. As the name dog suggests, these were marketed to cyclists to fend off wild dogs. Surviving examples vary considerably in appearance, but have certain features in common. Long derided as a footnote in firearms development, countless examples have been lost, destroyed or simply scrapped, leaving those that remain highly collectable. To our Moderators: If it's ok I would like to change the title of this post to " Velo-Dog Revolvers " and archive the above. GABILONDO Y URRESTI > Velo-Dog Revolver. Common grips were hard rubber, but silver, wood, antler, mother-of-pearl and ivory were also used. In 1894 Rene Galland, a Parisian gunmaker, patented a .22 caliber centerfire cartridge, the 5.5mm Velo-dog, and introduced a series of revolvers that chambered for it. A Chilliwack man who accidentally shot himself with a French palm pistol known as a "Velo Dog" because of its use by cyclists to fend off attacks from animals has lost his appeal of a. If it WAS made there, then by law it is supposed to be stamped with at least some of the proof marks C3 has shown. Bullets would then be loaded one at a time as the cylinder was rotated. I attributed this to my large fingers, but later realized I was holding the gun wrong, and by shifting my grip upwards slightly it would not longer do that which will doubtless improve my accuracy. All have short barrels and originally fired the 5.75mm (.22 calibre) Velo-dog cartridge, although many of the Velo-Dogs produced after 1900 accepted .22 LR or .25 ACP rounds. Bore and Action excellent. I think ill save myself some time, stick you on ignore, and leave this thread.. You just want to argue. 5.5 mm Velo-Dog ammunition that started at $1 with no reserve price. and 12 ft/lbs of energy, with an extreme spread of 21 fps., just about right for close-range indoor target shooting. Gun Type: Handgun: NIB $ 0000. For this reason, my website includes both calibers as legitimate velo dog charges, though the 6,35 might be considered 'second generation'. Excellent $ 0000. The Galand arms firm was akin to the Colt revolver works in the 19th century, except that it was in Paris. {{#message}}{{{message}}}{{/message}}{{^message}}Your submission failed. Like the cops who lump a vast veriety of different types of handguns into the catagory of "saturday night special." By the 1870s, the colorful high-wheel bicycle gained popularity among young men with a sense of adventure, good balance, and a certain disregard for its inherent dangers. I'd say the guy on the Gun Values board gave you the right range to expect. This load dimpled the chickens and pigs. We take all the hassle out of selling your gun. Velo-Dog pistols were initially chambered a proprietary 5.5mm Velo-Dog cartridge but later they appeared in a number of small calibres including .22 rimfire and .25ACP calibres. There is very minor pitting on the barrel. Belgian Velo-Dog revolvers were, for the most part, a fusion of the hammerless double-action-only French designs and the Bulldog-style revolvers they had been producing for many years. Some companies manufactured arms under a variety of different names. Indeed, packs of feral dogs seem to have been a real problem in Paris and its environs, and for some reason bicycles in particular excited their chase reflex. The Velo-Dog was a pocket revolver originally created in France by Charles-Franois Galand in the late 19th century as a defense for cyclists against dog attacks. Ulysses S. Grant's personal set of ornately decorated Remington New Model Army revolvers sold for $5,170,000 by Rock Island Auction. I WOULD TO KNOW HISTORY &VALUE FIREARMS DO NOT KILL PEOPEL PEOPEL KILL PEOPEL October 13, 2006, 09:38 AM #2: springmom. Need Help?service@guns.comCall (866)582-4867, PO Box 1131 13800 Nicollet Blvd Burnsville, MN 55337 2023Guns.com. Whatever you want to call it it's not what well informed collectors do. The gun locks up properly, and everything works as it should. For sure, first generation velo dogs were 5.5 or what was often called 5.7 or 6mm velo dog charges. This is the gun that was the forefather of the Luger pistol. When I get the reloading dies Ill see about working up some loads that mimic the performance of the original cartridge. This package DOES NOT come with a case. The velo-dog pistol might be the most valuable of the bunch. For those with soft hearts, there were also loads that replaced the lead bullet with wax, olive wood, or cork. Remington's Nylon 66 semi-automatic .22 LR rifles have grown from 1950s bargain buys to 21st century collectors darlings. In the last 12 months there is great demand for a Galand Velo-Dog Revolver and most handguns. The Velo Dog design proved so popular with consumers that the design was eventually scaled up to chamber both .25 and .32 (7.65mm) auto cartridges for defense against two-legged assailants. Velo-Dog Revolver. Belgian Velo-Dog Double Action Revolver Serial no undet. How does it work? For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. To the adventurous collector exploring this field, it can sometimes seem more challenging to find two alike than to find a new variation. Charles-Franois Galand (1832-1900) was a French gunsmith who worked in Lige, Belgium, and Paris, France.He manufactured many revolvers for civilian and military use, including the Galand Revolver (also called the Galand-Sommerville or Galand-Perrin), the Tue Tue, and the tiny Le Novo.The Velo-dog, developed from the Tue Tue and the Novo, was designed by Charles-Franois' son Ren in 1904. Corporations, pharmaceutical companies and any one with money hire people to get their products out and print reviews about the next wonder drug or device that will change your life and make your more attractive to the opossite sex . Coat this section with soldering flux and gently tap it into a section of 1/4 diameter thin-walled brass tube. In 2023 a new or used Galand Velo-Dog Revolver value varies depending on supply and demand. Some of the cartridges were loaded with cork, pepper or dust shot for those who wished to scare off the animals not harm them. It has a folding trigger, Bulldog-style ejection and a manual safety located just above the hard rubber grips on the back of the frame. In the last 12 months there is great demand for a Galand Velo-Dog Revolver and most handguns. I used a charge of 1.6gr of Universal powder, based on my experience loading .251 TCR and .25 ACP. Exterior metal is greyish and the cylinder is still blue . It may even be a smoothbore "shotgun." Looking at the hammer and firing pin, one might tell whether it's a center-fire or a rimfire cartridge. Nice little gun. Let me start by pointing out that some of the research cited by sck, above, supports the fact that to be a true Velo-Dog revolver it must be chambered for the Velo-Dog cartridge: This just illustrates that Wikipedia is pointless. Other than Wikipedia. It may not display this or other websites correctly. The Velo-Dog (also known as a Revolver de Poche) was a pocket revolver originally created in France by Ren Galand, son of Charles-Franois Galand in the late 19th century as a defense for cyclists against dog attacks. To view additional photographs at a higher quality, Please . 5.5mm Velo-Dog revolver (W&M) 5.6mm x 34R Francotte Carbine (D) 5.6mm x 33 Rook (B) 6mm Beaumont revolver (W&M) 6mm Merveilleux (W&M) 6mm Protector (W&M) 6mm Lee Navy (Hu) Liberalism is a mental disorder and it's chief symptoms are rampant hypocrisy and projection. Editor's Note: This article is from Gun Digest 2022, 76th Edition, available at GunDigestStore.com. First mass-produced by the Michaux firm in France, they marketed their two-wheeled wooden and metal contraption as a velocipede, after the Latin for fast foot. For the rest of the century the name stuck, especially in Europe, only replaced by bicycle in later generations. They will be prominently marked Galand Paris or Galand Liege.. Velo-Dog revolver by Jaques Mussen-Lallamand probably. Most came from Belgium, France, or Spain, with additional production in Germany, Italy, and Brazil, with nearly 50 different manufacturers identified. They often had cylinders capable of holding five rounds. They were originally developed by Charles-FranoisGalandand his sonRen. The name is a compound word composed of 'velocipede ' and 'dog'. Your email address will not be published. revolver with a concealed hammer and folding trigger. Overall Length: 5.4". ONLY TWO DEFINING FORCES HAVE GIVEN UP THEIR LIVES FOR YOU. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. They were an instant hit with the public and by the 1920s near clones were being made by a dozen firms in almost every Western European country. The checkered horn grips are undamaged. The Velo Dog | An Official Journal Of The NRA Explore The NRA Universe Of Websites Quick Links NRA.ORG Manage Your Membership NRA Near You Friends of NRA State and Federal Gun Laws NRA Online. Stuff a bullet into the case so it doesnt collapse when you chuck it up in a hand-drill, then use the drill and a file to recuse a section at the base of the cartridge just ahead of the rim to about .220. The Velo-Dog (also known as a Revolver de Poche) was a pocket revolver originally created in France by Ren Galand, son of Charles-Franois Galand in the late 19th century as a defense for cyclists against dog attacks. Bird head Style grips. This mechanism was as simple as possible to prevent the user from having to regularly maintain the firearm. Is a rose by any other name still a rose? Producing just 650fps, it was not even as powerful as todays basic 22LR. As the name suggests, a velo-dog revolver was designed to protect velocipedists against dogs when out for a ride. The lack of accuracy was not an issue with the gun, despite the aforementioned stiff trigger and miserable sights. Most of the small revolvers they produced were Baby Bulldogs, small versions of the British bulldog style revolvers in .320 Revolver, or Puppies chambered in .22 Short. The grips are very nice as well. Overall, this Velo-Dog is in fair vintage condition with normal age-related finish wear on the barrel, cylinder, and frame. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. For the more humane, there were cartridges loaded with cayenne pepper or dust,[4] or which had bullets made from wax, wood or cork. The value of a Velodog revolver depends on its condition, age, and whether or not it is complete and original. Number 1. By signing up you agree to Guns.com's (7mm & 9mm) This is a Liege-made pistol by Beuret Freres, and is so marked on the blunt-faced lockplate. JavaScript is disabled. Good old Col Charlie was always looking for an edge, so he had a Woodsman converted to centerfire and shortened Velo Dog brass to LR length. After the case is cut and trimmed to length carefully clean the interior with a small patch soaked in acetone to remove residue from the soldering flux. French manufacturer Galand introduced the first in the mid-1890s. Founded by Frank Galli in 2000, Snipers Hide has been offering informational videos, podcasts, and other support to its users in one location. Second generation velo dogs, and surely third generation designs, may have been only cousins of the original but might still be included in the extended velo dog family. Why do people do this? Surviving examples vary considerably in appearance, but have certain features in common.All have short barrels and originally . Sold (C) Stunning Mfg. Folding trigger 5.5mm or 6.35mm revolver bearing trademark "EA" on grips. I guess flat-faced triggers were not in then. All have short barrels. The 5.5mm Velo-Dog also has a case length of 1.12 in" (28.45mm) and an overall length of 1.35 in" (34.29mm). Thanks to the 6,35 mm Browning cartridges used in the revolver (0.25 ACP), the drum is short and does not look at all like the typical elongated bicycle codes. 2.14K subscribers Velo Dog Postman Pistols or Flobert Pistols These small Pistols were made over a hundred years ago in Belgium and France or Germany in the late 1800's. They are blank. My guess would be that different authorities use different definitions, but what remains true for all is that a specific design of pistol was manufactured to use 5.5 cartridges and was soon designed to house larger cartridges. Misc. Colt Baby Open Top .22 cal Revolver. I have heard people call the Japanese T14 a Luger because the long barrel makes it sort of look like a Luger. In 1893, Charles designed an 8mm hammerless pocket revolver he marketed as the Tue Tue. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Welcome to Historical Firearms, a site that looks at the history, development and use of firearms, as well as wider military history. These vehicles scared horses, children, and dogs. Reloading dies are available, though they are rather more expensive than more common calibers. They all are pocket size. Later model Velo-Dog type made by HDH (model name: Lincoln-Bossu). Blued, with . The cartridge was comparable in power to .22 LR loads of the time, but was substantially longer, with a brass case 1.12 long. Most everyone has rode a bicycle at one time or another. The result was the tiny 5.5mm Velo Dog. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. (.22 calibre) Velo-dog cartridge, although many of the . European Revolvers Almost as many of us have been chased, at one time or another, by a canine while on said bicycle. We find the dealer that offers you the most money. While both the Tue Tue and the LeNovo were popular, concealable weapons, they were still too large for comfortable carry by a young man on a velocipede. Lot 2171 Dessard Belgian Folding-Trigger Tip-Up Revolver in Pipe Casing Serial no 1440 $3,093.75 04/25/2005 Lot 775 Francotte Hammerless Pocket Double Action Revolver Gold Inlaid Serial no 3635 $1,589.00 04/24/2006 Lot 359 Janssen Sons & Co. Belgian Vest Pocket Revolver + Traveling Case The action works well. I dont have reloading dies for this caliber yet, and since I was firing an unfamiliar antique gun I opted to make a Gallery Load. I inserted magnum small pistol primers (I havent been able to get the regular ones for many months now) and tapped them into place with a wooden dowel. Grey patina on the cylinder and barrel. Given the library of excess trivial gun data I have accumulated I decided to do something about a post on Wikipedia. They evolved fromCharles-Franois (andDieudonn D. Oury)earlier small pistols the Le Novo and Tue Tuewhich were small revolvers. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); when fired from a similar gun. Most of nickel finish left on frame. SEND EMAIL ADDRESS FOR ADDITIONAL PHOTOS. Yes, a velo dog revolver uses a 5.5 [or 5.7] cartridge. This kind of gun was made by a variety of different manufacturers over the years, but most have two main components in common: a concealed hammer and a short barrel. Estimated New and Used Values for a Galand Velo-Dog Revolver Values are based on a basic model with no options or colors. You mean a "11" stamped where, at the rear of the cylinder next to one of the chambers? Can take months to sell your gun privately, Trusted retailers will pay you for your gun, You don't know who you're selling to, or if they'll rip you off, I'ts totally free to get a cash offer on your gun, It costs money to place ads to sell your gun, and it takes a lot of time, Easy online paperwork and registration process for your safe and legal payout, You have to trust the buyer to pay you, and trust that you're following the law, There are no questions related to Galand Velo-Dog Revolver, There are no problems related to Galand Velo-Dog Revolver. Cut a 3/16 long section of silver-bearing plumbing solder into the tube and push it to the bottom rimmed section with a rod, then heat the area with a torch until the solder flows and then allow to cool. Mainly they retained the loading and unloading mechanism that consisted of a hollow cylinder pin with an ejector-rod running down the center of it and a loading-gate on the right side of the frame. Some of the advertisements of the era made one purpose explicit. Model Velo-Dog 5.5mm Velo Dog Obsolete Calibre 6 Shot Revolver With Folding Trigger & Manufactured Year Victorian Era Antique yes Certificate No Licence Barrel length 1 1/2 inches Overall length 5 inches Your reference 17072 Gun Status Activated Recommended Usage Collection item Description Sellers declare the item's customs value and must comply with customs declaration laws. You have entered an incorrect email address! [1] The name is a portmanteau of " velocipede " and "dog". While there WAS a centerfire 5.5 mm cartridge called the Velo-dog, these tiny revolvers do not have a cylinder long enuff for that . Good $ 0000. Pre-leash-law free-roaming dogs hated the new-fangled gizmos and were wont to attack rider and vehicle alike! The trigger pull is short and smooth but very stiff. It uses what looks like shotgun primers to function. Velo-Dogs were commonly equipped with either a yoke-mounted ejector, though more advanced models offered break-open tip-up or down ejection. Product lines ran from copies of firearms by established manufacturers including Smith & Wesson, to derringers and pepperbox pistols, small spur-trigger and folding-trigger pocket revolvers and "Velo Dog" pistols.