A good necklace should be well-matched for color and well-graded small to large from the clasp down to the center. This shell . I bought a beautiful pair of Ni'ihau Kahelelani Shell earrings at this shop. He spent 3 days doing that and came out with just under half a small glass jar. Find your treasure or have one made for you. Remembering you arent in Hawaii anymore as soon as you wake, isnt exactly appealing. You've already signed up for some newsletters, but you haven't confirmed your address. Alternatively, you may use, The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas. These shells are very unique, and they are found only on the island of Ni'ihau. This set is a feature of Ula Ula Burgundy shell accents in a strong base of Pikake strung Momi shells. The people of Ni'ihau called . :D. It's the Hawaiian way. Ni'ihau Shells More Listed on Feb 26, 2023 One favorite Report this item to Etsy . The author has first-hand experience (she visited the island twice!) 20 . It is finished with granulated cowries and a n 18k clasp. The 1920's explosion in large pearl lariats was based on shell lei worn by Queens of Hawaii while visiting and hosting diplomats. Hi Southerngirl: I was in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? About Us My blog posts likely contain affiliate links, including for the Amazon Associates program.If you click, book, or buy from one of these links, I may earn a commission. If you don't see it, it might be in your junk/spam folder. The Shells of Niihau. Some songs feature the voice of the late, great Israel IZ Kamakawiwaole. With an official notary, Niihau shells can be evaluated based on its strain and style of stringing. Big wave beach Lumahai can yield some amazing shells.. just be careful in the water. (15% off). Sold with earrings as a set or individually is a single strand pikake stitch lei comprised of medium grey Uli Uli shells. The average size of Kahelelani shells will . Using a combination of beautiful Ni'ihau shells and Grade A Tahitian pearls, this longer lei is definitely a showstopper. I have one from the Black Pearl (?) I had drooled over Niihau shell lei for my previous two trips to (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? The Bracelet is an optional extension to the lei or can be worn around the wrist for a flat and delicate compliment to the necklace. Both 14K yellow gold hooks and sterling silver are available. The shells carefully collected on the Island of Ni`ihau Hawaii, known as the Forbidden Island. Some colors of shells I can't wear. I had looked at Totally Hawaiian at Whalers Village, among other places, and they did have a pretty big selection, and some really gorgeous shell lei, but yikes! Colors and lengths can vary depending on what is in stock. We enjoy working with both novice enthusiasts and seasoned collectors. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-7221950', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Anini Beach -- you can look at them closely and see how weathered they are and how many pukas (holes) they have in them. Try using a different browser or disabling ad blockers. Some of the kinds of shells you'll find. Its not a great swimming beach, theres lots of rocks and stones but theres also lots of pools because of that. Nice to know in not the ink hone with that bad habit! For each, is a person who will love and treasure it. My biggest issue is to get an authentic one, not a knock-off. Sale Price $450.00 It is the most beautiful shell I have seen and it has the most variation in color and patterning in the entire ocean~. From handmade pieces to vintage treasures ready to be loved again, Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. For most of the state's residents, that's the only way to see the island of Niihau. While you can find these rare shells on the shores of the Forbidden Island only, you wont be able to travel and find these souvenirs in Niihau. You'll also usually pay more for a traditional cowry clasp than for a gold one. Barbara and 22kauai - thanks for Spouting Horn, it's now on the list! We did receive a letter of authenticity, but it has long since been lost. The viewing area perched above the jagged crumbling . Pikake stitch graduates to long double Mauna Loa strands of high luster. Certifiable Ni'ihau, Made on Kauai. $67.50, $90.00 Hawaiian is their first language, English is second. Original Price $49.00 This type of data sharing may be considered a sale of information under California privacy laws. Apparently there used to be a dump there many years ago and this is where the glass came from. With a Made in Hawaii selection of Aloha shirts and neckties for men, we offer something for everyone! Finished in 14K with 14K spacers. Do you mind if I ask how much the Nihau leis cost? Hawaii's Department of Land and Natural Resources allows you to collect seashells for personal use but not for resale. Heres where you can purchase authentic Niihau shell leis: Each of these locations offers Niihau shell leis that should be documented and authentic. As each item made with pupu o Niihau is unique, you may not find many choices but you will certainly find beautiful items across a range of prices. However, books about the Forbidden Island are some of the best Niihau souvenirs. I know it's a lot, but have no idea what range we are talking aboutI am interested in getting one when I am there in August, but have a feeling I may be out of my league You should be able to get a pikake choker-length for about $125. Once we receive an email from you, we will respond in a detailed and timely manner. The most famous and cherished is the Sunrise Shell, aka Sunny. Certifiable Ni'ihau, Made on Kauai. . The one I REALLY loved was $5000! (10% off), Sale Price $254.99 Chapter 486, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding a new section to be appropriately designated and to read as follows: " 486- Niihau shells; representing content. Sizes can be adjusted and pieces can be sold separately. If you want to buy jewelry or leis made with pupu o Niihau, you can ask any shop to provide documentation that the work is authentic. Ni'ihau is located 17.5 miles southwest of Kauai. Consistently earned 5-star reviews, shipped orders on time, and replied quickly to messages, Looks like you already have an account! We have had persons informally tell us it is worth at least 3-4x what we originally paid for it, most recently by Dylan Thomas the owner of Havaiki. I've saved some excellent information from this forum, thanks to those of you with experience! Hand crafted Kapono style Hawaiian Lei made of precious gem quality shells carefully collected on the Island of Ni`ihau Hawaii, known as the Forbidden Island. Also the gift shop at the Kaua'i Museum is another reputable place to purchase these lei. Glass beach is in Hanapepe and here you may find (depending on the tide) tiny pieces of glass that wash back and forth with the tide. It is the smallest and therefore the most difficult to collect and string. 6-night multi-island adventures, starting from $1,239. Length and clasp can be adjustable. Made famous by artisans on the island of Ni'ihau, they are now known throughout the world as one of the finest types of jewelry. Each lei can take up to six months to complete. Under Add your personalization, the text box will tell you what the seller needs to know. there aren't many tools needed either, just stringing line and lots of time! Original Price $299.99 Located on the island of 'Oahu, w e sale primarily at craft fairs, public events, and fundraising events. If you opened this thread to learn what I'm talking about, here's some info: http://www.niihauheritage.org/niihau_history.htm, Well, it's not (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Some of the technologies we use are necessary for critical functions like security and site integrity, account authentication, security and privacy preferences, internal site usage and maintenance data, and to make the site work correctly for browsing and transactions. It came with a certificate of authenticity and the name of the artisan that created it. In fact, the Hawaiian language is spoken almost . There are also some souvenirs that you can order online which will allow you to experience Niihau at home whether youre still planning a trip or thinking back fondly on yours. Item# 18D01LK0085. Here are the official colors and flowers of Hawaiian islands from the bottom to the top, Hawaii to Ni'ihau. Still, Coffee lovers wont find a better way to sip their morning coffee than this Niihau coffee mug. 1. Passion-4-Fashion Hono Ohala Place, Kapaa . The 70-square-mile island (about half the size of Lna'i and twice as large as Kaho'olawe) is the smallest inhabited island in Hawai'i with 84 residents (mostly Native Hawaiian) and 35 houses (DBEDT & Census.) Take a look on Ebay at items from seller butch6868. These earrings will not be duplicated in the future. I talked with her for a bit - very interesting. There are four species of Ni'ihau shells, or Pupu 'O Ni'ihau. People get around on horseback, cook on kerosene stoves, and use outhouses. The words of the motto are generally attributed to King Kamehameha III, Kauikeaouli, who reportedly spoke them on July 31, 1843, when sovereignty was restored to the Hawaiian kingdom after a brief British occupation. Kahelelani shells/Niihau - . mamma, you can get away with spending MUCH less than a couple of grand. Its on the best shell beaches on Kauai. Today, there are only about 130 or so people living on the island where they still speak their own dialect of the Hawaiian language. One of my favorite aspects of this art form is that living creatures are never taken for their shells. Made only on Ni'ihau, a private island off Kaua'i's west side, the lei are known as one of Polynesia's finest ART FORMS . Ni'ihau shell jewelry is one of the most Hawaiian art forms represented in Maui Hands. I'm heading to Hawaii in May for my first time. It hardly ever rains at Polihale so you can do that; nothing like looking at the canopy of the stars. When it comes to Niihau souvenirs, Niihau shell leis are one of the most sought-after tokens. Did you highlight the link and "copy" it and then "paste" it to the web address line? They are often collected by divers and sold for surprising amounts of cash ($30-$2000 a piece!) This set is a matching combination of white Ke'Oke'O Momi shells and Pink Akala Pua Kahelelani. Those prices. This piece can be worn several ways. Some antique pieces we carry have been refinished for quality purposes. Theres not much variety of lei styles; however, leis are one-of-a-kind in design and come in different price ranges according to the type of shell, its uniqueness, and color. HEIRLOOMS to many, they are the only shell lei in the world that can be insured. Many sellers on Etsy offer personalized, made-to-order items. They come in a wide range of colors. Ni'ihau also goes by the name, The Forbidden Island, because the island is privately owned. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Knew they were expensive tho, so not that surprised. Although some common shells can be found on other islands, the shells from Ni'ihau have a characteristic luster not found in the other shells. Item# 18L10Y0500. These are the only shell in the world insurable as a gemstone but more importantly, a signature of the beauty and labor of each unique Hawaiian Leimaker. The seventy-two-square-mile island located off the southwestern tip of Kaua'i is part of Kaua'i County but has been privately owned since 1864, first by the Sinclair and now by the Robinson family. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Ni'ihau is estimated to be 4.9-6 million years old. While some shells and shell colors are more common and easy to find, there are other varieties that are extremely rare and a . Instead, there are plenty of venues in Kauai, Maui, Oahu, and the Big Island that offer authentic Ni'ihau shell leis and jewelry. To enable personalized advertising (like interest-based ads), we may share your data with our marketing and advertising partners using cookies and other technologies. But the other end and in between, you may come across some finds. For generations, the people of Ni'ihau have been collecting, matching and stringing these tiny, lustrous shells. Learn more. Most of us refrain from buying books as souvenirs unless the person is a bookworm. swmarket: thanks for the Na Mea rec; it was on the Oahu recommended list, too and I really love that shop! I had "rat-holed" birthday and Christmas money for a year or so, and had nice sum to spend, but NOTHING like $5000. (25% off), Sale Price $112.50 "Ikigai" Wrap Pants - Bird of Paradise in Cream/Navy Lotus & Lime $49.95. The lei can be connected with the bracelet to make a longer necklace while the earrings make a perfect compliment for any style. $1,350.00, $1,800.00 Much like shells are the diamonds to any surfer girl, Niihau shells - found only on the island of Niihau are valued like a one-of-a-kind diamond encrusted necklace. Find modern apparel, prints by local artists and jewelry made from hard-to-find Ni'ihau and sunrise shells. [3] Kalaheo, Kauai, Hawaii 96741-0348 The kahelelani poe poe blend has all the colors represented in a symmetrical match of width and length. The Mkaha Sons are famous for championing traditional Hawaiian music, and their incredible harmonies took them to prestigious places like Carnegie Hall. Captcha failed to load. Because there are fewer Kahelelani on this piece, the pricing is very affordable at $700 for the necklace, $200 for the bracelet and $75 for the earrings. Another question for the Kauai locals - Do you think Oahu would be any better or worse to shop for my new lei? Good luck in your hunt for your gorgeous Niihau shell lei, Plumeria! 14K magnet closure is strong and connects to the bracelet for an extended necklace. Native Hawaiian Economic Development; Niihau Shells; Protection, Prohibits sale of seashell items w/description or label using term "Niihau" or "Niihau" unless item contains 100% Niihau shells and is made entirely in Hawaii. Post Office Box 348 Ni'ihau is an island off the southwest coast of Kaua'i. Just a word of caution when identifying Niihau shells. These Niihau shell leis are gorgeous and truly "made in Hawaii.". Shades of colors are often identified ashiehie(light) orikaika(dark). Now I'm sharing that information here. They have some beautiful pieces. You can dress long in the flapper fashion, short as a choker, or as a waistband beach accessory. i tried this and me and my eyes gave up. Mine was handed down to me, so I can't help much eithersorry! Their prices tend to be high, although I bought a lei there many years ago. Cones Leopard cone, Hebrew cone, Marble cone, others. This includes both online and at gift shops across Hawaii. Things go up from there. I feel blessed to live in such a magical, beautiful place. Copyright text 2019 by Kauai Vacation Rental Advisor. (c) Any product or jewelry item that consists of at least eighty per cent Niihau shells, by count, and that meets the requirement of subsection (b)(2), may be described, labeled, or identified using the term "contains", followed immediately by the nearest whole number representing the percentage of Niihau shells, by count, contained in the product or jewelry item, followed by the term, "% Niihau shells" or "% Niihau shells".". A Sunrise Shell on Kauai looks like a Sunrise.a half moon of yellows and oranges and reds with the shape above. The wedding leis of Niihau are often made with "laiki" or "rice" shells. The finish is a large filigree pearl clasp and the balance of colors graduating from pink to burgundy to dark brown provide a great aesthetic while complimenting the marriage of shell and pearl. Over 80% by count Niihau shells, this piece is a high fashion statement. Original Price $125.00 Each lei can take up to six months to complete. The families that live and work on Ni'ihau have collected these shells and developed their own lei making techniques over generations for the most part -- many ohana, like the Kanahele's (who I highly recommend) have members that live on Ni'ihau, collect and sew the leis, and then members who live outside Ni'ihau sell them and the money goes back to the ohana. Taro K Chip Factory The bestand freshesttaro chips in the state, period. They come in an amazing array of colors and can be woven into the most beautiful adornments. Inquire for photos of different sets. Instead, there are plenty of venues in Kauai, Maui, Oahu, and the Big Island that offer authentic Niihau shell leis and jewelry. We chose to finish these with 14K stunning Cypraea Helvolla Cowry hook and eye. "Ikigai" Wrap Pants - Tattoo in Teal Tiare Lotus & Lime $49.95. There are many books to learn about Niihau, but here are a few that tackle interesting topics. Anyway, your opinions matter to me! Located 17 miles off the west coast of Kauai lies the island of Ni'ihau, better known as The Forbidden Isle. Thank you for all of your replys.Sounds like the place to look is The Trading Post, and expect at least a couple grand? While the off-whitemomishell is extremely common and easy to find, hot-pink and blackkahelelaniare very rare, so a lei which includes these shells will be priced significantly higher than a similar lei made with shells of colors which are readily available. This Hawaiian quarter, minted in 2008, shows Kamehameha I, the warrior king who united all of the Hawaiian islands, and also includes the State motto. Over the years I have helped thousands of people find the perfect place to stay on Kauai whilst also advising on everything from places to propose to the best Na Pali boat ride. Printed products with designs that resonate with the Forbidden Island make lovely Niaihau souvenirs. Thanks in advance for your replies. The art of Ni'ihau shell lei making is a precious cultural gift -- if you own a lei you can tell people who made it, where the shells were collected, what types of shells, and the generations of the family that made it passing down this knowledge makes this a true treasure. Stunning craftsmanship by an expert leimaker. To learn more about the peoples who call these lands home, I invite you to exploreNative Land. They are able to grow, find, and hunt whatever they might need on a day-to-day basis, but living in a very arid climate, the people of Ni'ihau still rely on resources from Kauai to survive. Aloha. Most, if not all . Just 17 miles from the coastline of Kauai, Hawaii boasts a historic restricted area: the small, 70-square-mile island of Niihau . This is an excellent start, I appreciate your help. The bright red flower growing in the tropical forests on Hawaii island is the Lehua. Sometimes "quality" is in the eye of the beholder so buy what you love! and just poking holes in these tiny shells and stringing them up is soooo labor-intensive! Legally, this term refers only to shells actually gathered on the shores of the Forbidden Island. Every piece you purchase from our Ni'ihau collection comes with the stringer's name and a detailed description of the shells on your lei and their Hawaiian names of color and shell. The shells used to create NIIHAU SHELL LEI are akin to precious gemstones. Kapono Ni`ihau Shell Lei 1. In the gaps between the shells, Ive been gifted with more than a few big cowrie shells among others. This perfect Heleconia Lei has a fine detailed blend of Akala Pua Pink and Ula Ula Burgundy shells. While many of the items on Etsy are handmade, youll also find craft supplies, digital items, and more. I was born on the East Coast and currently live in the Midwest but my heart will always be out West. Another practical souvenir, this printed towel shows the Hawaiian Islands in a vintage-style map. Made only on Niihau, a private island off Kauais west side, the lei are known as one of Polynesias finest ART FORMS . This yellow/white lei consists of ten strands of laiki shells, all 18" long. Click Buy it now or Add to cart and proceed to checkout. Its easy to find pictures of Queen Kapiolani wearing beautiful multi-strand lei as jewelry. Monica Wachman, Leaf Group. (sunrise shells are sold for quite a bit) . . I've bought from him at SH. I paid $20 for it and the gal down the walk "wired" it for me for $15! They can also be found on Kaua`i and Moloka`i, but those lack the luster of the authentic ones. Take full advantage of our site features by enabling JavaScript. The tiny shells wash up already vacant from the snails that they once housed. Kauai has many beaches and so heres my pick of the best shell beaches on Kauai! The necklaces can sell for an average of $125 to $25,000, and state law protects the Niihau label. The Niihauans have names for all the variations of shell color and pattern. It is certifiable with 85% Niihau Shells and features a sunrise shell Centerpiece and sterling silver adjustable length clasp. Required fields are marked *. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-59049737', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Maui, and had done a little research, and you are right, it is a big decision and one needs to know a bit about what to look for, much like diamond shopping. Cowrie - all different varieties. Sold separately, these are made to order by a skilled leimaker. of Niihaus history and surroundings. At 17.5 miles from Kauai, Niihau is the 7th largest of the inhabited Hawaiian islands. What makes Ni'ihau so mystifying is that life here has remained mostly frozen in time. 3940 Hanapp Road, (808) 335-5586 Etsys 100% renewable electricity commitment includes the electricity used by the data centers that host Etsy.com, the Sell on Etsy app, and the Etsy app, as well as the electricity that powers Etsys global offices and employees working remotely from home in the US. I then saw some in Whaler's Village and others in Lahaina that were significantly more expensive and appeared to be far simpler than what I'd fallen in love with at Many Hands, which also made me worry about pricing! Utterly fantastic workmanship and quality of shells. Fill out the requested information. Sunnys grow in deep water and rarely wash to the shore. This "forbidden" island is inhabited by approximately 200 full-blooded Hawaiians that keep completely to themselves. Theres beach access on both ends of Alamoo and you can usually park on Alealea road. The seller might still be able to personalize your item. If you browse through my site, you will see some excellent examples of more traditional styles as well as some of the more modern Kauai ones. So you only have two options for setting foot on the island: take a helicopter tour from Kauai or . Here's the website list of Kauai sellers: Waimea Canyon General Store/Forever Kauai (Kekaha). All shells sold as Ni'ihau shells must contain at least 80% Ni'ihau shells and must be made in the State of Hawai'i. A jaw dropping array of all colors of Momi and Kahelelani are visible but the ultimate prize is incredible construction and consistency of stringing. Can be sold individually or with earrings. It has been privately owned by one family for over 150 years, they enacted a closed-door policy in order to create a cultural preservation site for . They are valued like a one-of-a-kind diamond necklace. These are kahelelani. I did buy the gorgeous book Totally Hawaiian has on Niihau shell lei, which I highly recommend. Turning off personalized advertising opts you out of these sales. Learn more in our Privacy Policy., Help Center, and Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy. Choose the options youd like for the order. The island was purchased almost 125 years ago by the Robinson family, who also own a large portion of Kauai. While you can find these rare shells on the shores of the Forbidden Island only, you won't be able to travel and find these souvenirs in Ni'ihau. Indeed it is. Lava Lava Cafe on the beach. Other places that I would recommend for purchasing Ni'ihau shell lei (or Pu'pu Ni'ihau) is the "tourist trap" by Lawai -- I think it is called Hawaiian Trading Post -- has a large collection of Ni'ihau shell leis -- both for exhibition and for sale -- they always buy from well known Ni'ihau ohana and are a safe bet. The land was purchased in 1864 from King Kamehameha V and is in many ways a time capsule of life in early Hawaii. A few other terms includekahakaha(striped),nikiniki(spotted),puupuu(bumpy), and evenwaha ulaula(red mouth). Original Price $600.00 Lava Lava Cafe on the beach. If you want to learn about Niihaus history, Niihau: The Last Hawaiian Island by Ruth M. Tabrah is a great way to start. MauiPuaLani (26) $95.00 FREE shipping Ni'ihau shell necklace Rare colors AlohaMeraki (4) $549.00 FREE shipping 20 1/2 inches Niihau momi shell necklace and bracelet with kahelelani shells from Hawaii DuangchindaOfHawaii (159) $850.00 Gorgeous Kahelelani Shell necklace Made in Hawaii USA Gold fill thin dainty delicate chain Ni'ihau Niihau like Island Ocean Beach Jewelry Length: 24" Materials: Kahelelani 'ele'ele (tiny dark red burgundy shells) kahelelani 'oma'oma 'o (tan tiny shells) Kahelelani 'akala pua (tiny pink shells) Puka shell (white end cap) momi ke'oke'o kua'ula (white shells)