The company says it can handle large temperature swings and even the most difficult conditions to keep your differential running smoothly. Everyday Diesel Treatment Rated 4.92 out of 5 Select options . . Please contact your local dealer for latest info. Dont overtighten. The capicity is approx. Change engine oil and filter, if needed. Thats what allows it to deliver great film strength as well as helping to reduce wear and spalling of your gears under high torque use. If its above the upper mark, you may have a leak. Differential fluid is essential for proper function of your 44 trucks front differential. The video is applicable to the 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, Chevy Silverado List of tools used: 15mm Socket http://1aau.to/oUg/1AXAA00015 18mm Socket http://1aau.to/ooM/1AXAA00043 1/2 Inch Breaker Bar http://1aau.to/oiQ/1AXAA00078 Ratchet http://1aau.to/o8k/1AXAA00016 Socket Extensions http://1aau.to/oUg/1AXAA00015 Fluid Transfer Pump http://1aau.to/of/1AXAA00152For More Info visit us at http://1aau.to/h/bBA/ DISCLAIMER:While 1A Auto strives to make the information provided in this video as accurate as possible, it makes no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or applicability of the content. There are many different types of differential fluids on the market, but not all of them are created equal. 4. If the fluid is low, you will need to add more. Come join the discussion about modifications, towing, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! Do you have some data, service manual, bulletin or just found a mistake? The differential, drive shaft, U-joints, and drive axles are all at risk of damage. Insert the fill plug, changing the washer if required. Just enough fluid should be added to reach the correct level. Replace drain plug, torque to requirement (I used 24 Ft-Lb for 2015 Colorado Z71) Fill Diff with new oil. They will be able to tell for sure if the fluid is low and can top it off for you. We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. Changing engine oil, brake fluid, ATF, replacing brake pads, and etc. I need to know what ALL types (synthetic and standard oils) and capacity of fluids can be used in the following units on this truck? 88958860 -- or super DOT-4 brake fluid. If there is water, youll need to change the fluid as water will not lubricate your metal parts. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. This gear oil is both excellent for race cars and any heavy-duty application. If the fluid level is too high, it can cause the differential to leak. Your vehicle gets smoother and more responsive. Here are the codes, you will have to go through the lists and match them to your particular truck. JavaScript is disabled. Paste as plain text instead, After every 30k to 60k miles driven, your cars differential fluid must be changed. The . To add differential fluid, you will need to find the fill plug on the differential. Features: Highly resistant to foaming, outstanding performance against high torque, can improve fuel efficiency. Features: Long life, stable viscosity, made to quiet your differential. Off-road driving is made easier with better suspension stability, particularly on twists and turns. Front differential: Oil was kinda milky, obviously some water had gotten in some time. (~1.6 qts - bottom of fill plug opening - I use small hand pump that screws onto top of bottle) Replace fill plug, torque to requirement. Silverado Differential Fluid Type The Silverado's rear axles are standard and steerable, as well as available. Mobil says that this oil works over a wide range of temperatures, and has a wax-free synthesized hydrocarbon base. not sure about the front. I did all the fluids a couple years ago and would like to do them again. May 11, 2009. bigjerm7 said: 2009 Duramax 3500HD 4x4 Dually. You help to support davesoilchange.com. Continue to step 4 without removing any additional components. That's easy, just follow our comprehensive guide to 6.6L LB7 Duramax Maintenance. You need to choose a differential fluid that is designed for the specific make and model of your truck. Next time around I will try and track down some Mobil 1 75W-90. We contacted Amsoil and they assured us that 75w-90 was compatible with our differential.The GM Part number is 89021671, in Canada 89021672Purchase here: http://amzn.to/2CRHwdoPurchase Amsoil here: This was not a sponsored video - we simply like amsoil products.Amsoil Fluids: https://www.amsoil.com/friends/?pc=5532469 Referral Number 5532469#3rdGenSilverado #3rdGenDIYs #GMTruckDIYs*************************************************** Most Current Recording equipment (Affiliate Links)*************************************************** VideoCanon R6: https://geni.us/CanonR6_4KCanon RF 24-70mm F2.8 L is USM Lens: https://geni.us/VnTwTCanon 80D Camera Body: https://geni.us/Canon-EOS80DSigma 18-35mm F1.8 Art DC HSM Lens for Canon: https://geni.us/SigmaLenseRace clips shot using GoPro: https://geni.us/HERO9Black Audio: Lapel Mic: https://geni.us/PicoMicZoom ZH1 H1 Handy Portable Digital Recorder:https://geni.us/ZoomRec Lighting:Genaray Flood Light https://geni.us/GenarayLEDGenaray Softbox: https://geni.us/GenarayLightBoxNewer Ultra High Power Video Light: http://amzn.to/2Hl3QO7----------Thank you to all of our fans and subscribers for supporting us on our journey! Motul USA Motulgear Technosynthese SAE 75W-85 API GL-5 Gear Oil. Allow it to cure for a few minutes before pressing the cover onto the housing, which youll hold in place for another minute. The differential oil will wear out and need to be changed after a while, just like every other automobile fluid. Hand-picked by experts! Fits 2014-2018 Ram 3500 4WD models with BorgWarner transfer case. All do-it-yourself projects entail some risk. I also wanted to be sure that the front diff in my SS had Synthetic Gear Oil. If it has a washer, make sure that you replace that washer, it will help prevent leaks. So I went to my dealership today to get fluids for the transfer case, front and rear differentials. This product is resistant to powertrain fluids (oil, coolant, and ATF) and operates in environments to 450F (232C) continuous and 500F (260C) intermittent. Differential Oil Capacity up to 2.0 quarts (front) 2.2 quarts (rear with 8.6" diff.) To check the fluid level, you will need a clean, dry dipstick. Capacity: 8.6 RG Rear 4.2 pints. I change fluids in it all the time. If this fluid isnt changed at the specified intervals by the manufacturer, it can become dirty and thick, which may damage the differential over time. Help the community, write about it and we will improve this page. 3.2 quarts (rear with 11.5" diff) Differential Drain Plug Torque 24 ft-lbs Differential Cover Bolts Torque 30 ft-lbs Cooling System Flush and Fill Coolant Type 50/50 mix of Dex-cool and water I have the g80 in mine and I was told to use 80w-90 and that it would be fine. Front-wheel drive and 4-wheel drive vehicles, on the other hand, feature front differentials as well. 1) Front differential - ALL acceptable types and capacity. BLAU Transfer Case Differential Fluid Change Kit includes the correct amount of Ram 3500 transfer case fluid part number 68089195AA, 68049954AA, 68049954AC, 75w85 front differential gear oil, and 75w85 rear differential gear oil. We always recommend 6 qts to our customers and you will you have a little extra. Have an empty catch pan on hand and keep your distance when popping off the cover; otherwise, it may leak. Another great feature on the app for vehicle sellers is the ability to upload a picture of your license plate, which eBay then uses to grab all the pertinent details of your vehicle for selling, including uploading your VIN number. We recommend checking for any leaks and the fluid level a week or two later to make sure everything is correctly aligned. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. My Favorite source for parts & filters and Amsoil is MadJack Diesel Performance. Replace the fill plug after the fluid has completely drained out. Because if you cant open the fill, then its better to find that out when your vehicle can still be driven and not when the differential is empty. Lucas says that its gear oil is the go-to for vehicles where other lubricants have failed. When the differential is at operating temperature (warm), add enough lubricant to raise the level to the bottom of the fill plug (1) hole.The front differential takes approximately 3 Pints according to amsoil. Use liquid thread sealer on the bolts threads. So a rear differential can see thousands or even tens of thousands of foot-pounds of torque every time you touch the gas. Taking good care of their cars is important to Chevy I would go with a full synthetic as it holds up and lasts longer. Here are 5 of the best differential fluids on the market, how to change it, and when to change that rear differential fluid. No review is complete without it. 2014 sierra 2500 HD Crew Cab, Std Box SLT 4WD Z71. Set up jack stands. Looking at Mobil delvac or AC Delco. Over time, this fluid can become low, causing your car to run less smoothly. See vehicle fitment tab to confirm fitment. Then use a razor scraper or light abrasive pad to clean the mating surface of the housing and the cover. You'll find it with the diff fluid at Napa and Autozone (that I know of) for about $8. How do you know if your differential fluid is low? Doing basic service for your 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 you're not only saving money, but also also improving your technical skills and learning something new. When checking the differential fluid level, be sure to check the condition of the fluid as well. Then, reinsert the dipstick and remove it again. The manual specs 80w90 for the front. Dont over-fill, though, youll turn your differential into a blender for the fluid. All except 6.2L with 8-Speed transmission, Key lock cylinders, hood hinges, body door hinge pins, tailgate hinge and linkage, fuel door hinge, tailgate handle pivot points, hinges, latch bolt, and linkage, Front axle driveshaft splines (four-wheel drive) and rear axle driveshaft splines (two-wheel drive with automatic transmission), Rear drive line center spline (two-piece drive shaft). ChargerForums to connect with the Dodge Charger community to discuss SRT, Hellcat models, maintenance, mods and more. Application Specification Metric English Axle Capacities Front Drive Axle (8.25") 1.43 liters 1.51 . 2006 silverado front differential fluid capacity - What You Need to Know Your 2006 silverado front differential fluid capacity is important for ensuring your truck can handle the demands of off-roading. Simply use gasket glue or any spray adhesive to secure it in place. Do you have some data, service manual, bulletin or just found a mistake? You drain the oil by removing the 10 bolt cover. 1.2K 95K views 5 years ago #3rdGenSilverado #3rdGenDIYs We are shooting a three part mini series showing how to change the gear lube on Cliff's 2014 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L Eco Tec V8. . Features: Synslide additive package, ideal for cold weather, exceeds OEM requirements. By twiztidss October 4, 2014 in AWD, Differential, & Transmission Tech. This site is intended for reference only. The differential oil does the same important function as the oil in your engine: to keep metal-on-metal parts well lubricated. Its also important to note that you should only use the specific type of fluid thats recommended by Chevrolet. 2006 silverado front differential fluid capacity What You Need to Know Your 2006 silverado front differential fluid capacity is important for ensuring your truck can handle the demands of off-roading. Any reason why you didn't go with generic, off the shelf, synthetic fluid? In the case of a limited-slip differential, its also making sure power goes to both rear tires. No, you do not need a friction modifier in your rear differential. The Valvoline full syn ATF is good stuff, but it's the wrong product for your transfer case. Our 6.6L LB7 Duramax Maintenance guide goes over everything you need to know to properly maintain these trucks. Once the cover is off, you can check the level of the fluid. Yeah I had to add the riding mower since it has mods too! This post may contain affiliate links. Avoid driving a car with a severely low level of gear oil in the differential. Red Line Heavy Shockproof Synthetic Gear Oil | Marlin Crawler, Inc. $20.30. JavaScript is disabled. This product is made of. as far as i know it's one of the best, if not the best, for any type of synthetic automotive products. We use data about you for a number of purposes explained in the links below. The front differential is responsible for transferring power from the engine to the wheels. in your garage to make future searches easy. Oct 29, 2006 (Edited) DEWFPO;1380664; said: That's correct; the 6.0 gassers have a different rear differential (10.5") than the 8.1L and the 6.6L (11.5") on the 2500/3500HD's. My previous response should have said the 8.1L gas engine and the 6.6L diesel use the same rear differential. Red Line Synthetic Oil is one of the top companies making synthetic lubricants for all parts of your car. It's all may be done by yourself in a mater of a couple of hours. The front differential is a gearbox that transfers power from the engine to the wheels. Check your vehicles service handbook to see what Differential Fluids are appropriate for your car. It is the sole responsibility of the viewer to assume this risk. 2009 Suburban 1500: 4WD..differential..vin and the response I received. This will be fine front and rear. Doing basic service for your 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 you're not only saving money, but also also improving your technical skills and learning something new. Its a simple way to help keep your vehicle running smoothly. Check fluid levels when adding or refilling as recommended in your 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 user's manual. Spray brake fluid inside the differential cover as well. If you own a Chevrolet Silverado, you may be wondering about the front differential fluid capacity. May 19, 2003 in AWD, Differential, & Transmission Tech, I checked the owners manual for front diff fluid specification and it calls for: SAE 80-90 Axle lubricant GM part # 1052271, I checked the GM service manual for front diff fluid specification and it calls for SAE 75-90 Synthetic axle lubricant GM part # 12378261. Upload or insert images from URL. FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM: @THESUNDAEDRIVE - www.instagram.com/thesundaedriveCHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE \u0026 BLOG: www.thesundaedrive.com******************************************************************** Partners and Sponsors********************************************************************Tool and Dye Designs - Auto enthusiast inspired clothing: Website: www.toolanddyedesigns.comKies Motorsports - For all your BMW needsWebsite: www.kiesmotorsports.comYoutube: www.youtube.com/kiesmotorsportsSpeed Circuit - LS Powered Exocet and Evo UpgradesWebsite: www.SpeedCircuit.net ******************************************************************** Music******************************************************************** Count yourself lucky your transfer case hasn't failed. The following is a simplified version of how to perform this operation: Before we get started, there are a few points you should know. If youre like most people, you probably dont think about your cars front differential very often. Over time, the fluid can become dirty and need to be replaced. I have researched and read it both ways. We need pictures of that MOWER !!!!!! No Amsoil. General Motors recommends using the maker's own hydraulic fluid -- GM Part No. Once the differential is empty, put the drain plug back in and torque it properly. Im at college (so I have no where to to do it) and there's a local chevy dealership with a goodwrench service station down the road. The differential fluid level is to be checked but not changed for normal duty, for severe duty it says to change every 20,000 miles. My dealer Will change the differential fluid but they buy it in large drums and do . not sure about the front. I have a 2003 silverado ss so it has the awd transfer case. Viscosity: SAE 75W-85. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The right amount of fluid should be added so that the bottom of the fill plug hole on the rear axle is between 17 mm and 21 mm (0.6 in to 0.8 in) below the liquid level inside. DIY car service is not as difficult as it looks like and it might save you thousands of dollars per year. Differential Fluid usually lasts longer than most other fluids. Before draining the fluid, remove the fill bolt. Suggested Applications include automotive gaskets, valve covers, oil pans, transmission pans, thermostat housings, and water pumps. Is that quart bottles? More than just its signature dark purple color, Max Gear offers Royal Purples Synslide additive technology. If youre not sure how to check the level of fluid in your differential, its best to consult a professional. You can post now and register later. 12345347 -- or an equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid in a Silverado equipped with a five-speed transmission. Other than the transfer case I use the same fluids I use on the Z06. I believe it's on the passenger side of the transmission close to the firewall. The torque spec for the fill and drain plug are 24ft-lbs.GM recommends 80w-90 fluid while Amsoil recommends 75w-90. Thanks for the reply. It is a later model 350 Crate engine that has the curved oil pan near the front. car Chevrolet recommendations and specifications for oil and fluid for 2016 Silverado 1500. Syn Gear Lube LS is their leading synthetic gear oil, designed for optimal power transfer performance in open and limited-slip differentials. Luckily, this can be addressed by following the proper L5P Duramax Maintenance schedule. :bigthumb: Regards, Brian. Youve completed it! It is important to consult your trucks owners manual or a qualified mechanic to determine the correct fluid capacity for your truck. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. The riding mower and the Celica get the used oil from the Vette. If there is only a little leak that is detected early, driving the vehicle should not cause any problems. Best Answer. Volume: 1 Liter. For the oil type itself, You'll want to use 75W-90 synthetic gear oil; any brand is going to be fine. 2023 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved. 2004.5 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4, D/A (LLY), Ext. I gave Chevy support the read more. Your email address will not be published. 3) Transfer case - ALL acceptable types and capacity. If your differential has a leak that lets fluid out, it can let water in in heavy rain or deep puddles. Its a pungent sulfur smell that youll immediately recognize if you encounter it; if you detect it, theres a problem. Here's a little info on it Red Line's Full-Synthetic Shockproof Gear Oil is unlike anything you've tried before. Remove the plug and add the fluid until it reaches the level of the fill plug hole. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you. Its located in the front of the vehicle, just behind the engine. If its more convenient for you, call our service center right now! Then use brake cleaner to remove the rest of the mixture, taking precautions against overspray. We give you service schedules for normal and severe use, fluid capacities, and a complete list of recommended filters, engine oils, and fluids to use. This is usually located near the engine, on the side of the car. Mobil 1 Synthetic also says add it. Differential fluid helps your cars engine run smoothly and efficiently. Wipe up any drips. Its tough work and its dirty work and it is why that quart or two of fluid in your rear differential is so important to long life. Mobil 1 is one of the best-known lubricant companies in the world, making the factory fill oil for some serious high-performance vehicles. For both front and rear diffs, since then I've always used Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 75w-90, which also has "LS" on the label. Change automatic transmission fluid. This stuff retails for $28.19 per bottle and takes about 3 bottles. The pump came with 3/8 clear tubing. I do my part and recycle. LOL. I wanted to change my axle fluids at around 500 miles as I have done on my prior GM trucks. Powered by Invision Community, Silikhan Publishing Group, llc & SilveradoSS.com. (Applies to: Severe) Change transfer . Differential fluid levels should be checked when the vehicle is on level ground and at normal operating temperature. A forum community dedicated to Chevy and GMC Duramax diesel owners and enthusiasts. Cab, Long Bed. Please be noted that all capacities listed here are approximate. Lucas Oil Products were designed for the high demands of the racing world, and that performance translates to helping your vehicle every day. Take it for a spin after lowering the car. Total bill with labor $299. This gear oil will reduce friction and drag and will enhance your gear capacity, and it has excellent viscosity stability, meaning it wont change its characteristics away from its requirements when it gets hot or cold Liqui Moly recommends it for extremely high load applications, though it is not recommended for limited-slip differentials. The front differential is responsible for transferring power from the engine to the wheels. Thanks Hobey. Youre correct Ryan, the synthetic is hyped for differentials. Add this car Fresh fluid should be poured in and the car lowered once again. So after talking to a bunch of people, they suggested I just use a synthetic gear oil and I have had no issues since I did it starting about 25K miles agohope this will help. To check your differential fluid level, first find the dipstick. Personally I just use the most available and value conscious fluid that meets GM spec. How to Check and Fill Front Differential Fluid 14-19 Chevy Silverado 1A Auto: Repair Tips & Secrets Only Mechanics Know 2.01M subscribers Subscribe 56K views 3 years ago Shop for New Auto Parts. This site is intended for reference only. Since the 1999 Model year the factory fill for the rear axle of all trucks has been 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube. Other signs include a burning smell coming from the differential area or gear changes that are not as smooth as they used to be. I run the Royal Purple stuff from end to end in the Vette. You cannot paste images directly. Because your vehicle turns left and right, the wheels need to spin at different speeds, and the magic bits in your rear diff make that happen. Please contact your local dealer for latest info. Without differential fluid, your car would not be able to function properly. Loosen all of the differential bolts. I'm guessing you don't use the Auto4hi setting much. The Vette is part street and part track, road course racing. Jul 8, 2014 Messages 80 Location Michigan Oct 5, 2015 #1 Hello, I need some advice, I have a 2014 Silverado with the G80 3.42 differential. It's all may be done by yourself in a mater of a couple of hours. . From 1999 to 2001 can use but did not come with it. First and foremost, automobile differential fluid is by far the most foul-smelling liquid in your car; good ventilation would be extremely helpful. Any time you drive through water, at least before coming home from that off-road trip, checking your rear differential fluid is a good idea. I bought a $40K GM VehicleI am not cheap.but I am stubbornI am not concerned with saving a few bucks on some aftermarket product. You have the 9.25 and the 9.5 but as a practical matter you just keep putting the fluid in until it runs out then install the fill plug code code1 code2 code3 code4 code5 code6 code7 code8 code9 code10 code11 George H., ASE Certified Technician You need to also use a special lubricant for lockers. Let the gasket maker dry according to the directions and tighten the cover to your rides specs. Priavcy; Gdpr Policy; Disclaimer; Contact; 2010 silverado front differential fluid 2010 Silverado 5.3 Oil Type [Update 2022] . Still, there are some good guidelines and some other situations you should keep in mind. 1A Auto is not responsible or liable for any loss damage (including, but not limited to, actual, consequential, or punitive), liability, claim, or any other injury or cause related to or resulting from any information posted in this video. Please let me know if I can answer any questions. I am very familiar with fluids and what works for me. If its below the lower mark, add more fluid. The synthetic diff fluid will work over a big temperature range and actually simulate more than 75w-90 range. The Silverados rear axles are standard and steerable, as well as available. When driving through a turn or bend, the inside drive wheel nearest to the corners interior travels less than the outside wheel. Surely not pints at that price right? If you use RP or RedLine synthetic diff fluid then you don't need the additive. Engine Oil Capacity Menu. As noted it helps with the clutch packs in the posi unit. The life of differential fluid is variable but a major difference between for example oil and differential fluid, is differential fluid usually is not filtered. Replaced that bolt in there (old one wasn't too bad) and refilled with Mobil 1 75W-90. 9 Pics about 2007-2014 Chevy Tahoe Right Side Rear Seat Belt Cashmere New 22847511 : 03-08 Chevy Silverado. Differential fluid has a greater anticipated lifespan than most other fluids. You'll additionally want to use an additive, such as the K&W TransX Posi-Trax . Max Gears additives also significantly increase the lubricants fluidity and lubricity in cold weather climates, helping your car or truck run cooler, quieter, and longer. Its critical not to mix the old fluid with the new. Copy. The specific lubricant for the rear axle is just a synthetic fluid to mix with a non synthetic gear oil. Your owners manual is the best place to look for your fluid change intervals, as well as making sure you order the correct viscosity, quantity, and type of gear oil. BND Automotive LLC:driving: 440-821-9040. mcwarren in your garage to make future searches easy. It's in a tube and the stuff looks blue. fluids changed at the the dealer $29/quart and takes 3 quarts each. JavaScript is disabled. If you own a Chevy Silverado, its important to know what type of fluid to use in the front differential. When turning, the inside wheel spins slower than the outside wheel; this difference is what gives rise to its name. It might be even fun and a good thing to do with your kids on a weekend to teach them how basic machinery works. Went with this Mag-Hytec unit sold ONLY by Genos for MH, due to its Round Oil Sight Glass on the rear. However, the procedure varies slightly depending on vehicles since some differentials only have two connections: one for filling the fluid and another for draining it. By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of data and cookies. Otherwise, you may damage the differential. Replace engine air cleaner filter (or every 4 years, whichever occurs first). When the only thing you need to pay attention to is GL-5 rating and limited slip additives if needed. . I checked the GM service manual for front diff fluid specification and it calls for SAE 75-90 Synthetic axle lubricant GM part # 12378261 I wanted to change my axle fluids at around 500 miles as I have done on my prior GM trucks.