For further details of our complaints policy and to make a complaint please click this link: thesun.co.uk/editorial-complaints/, Millwall players take a knee before kick-off against Derby. Millwall Fans Boo Players Taking Knee for Black Lives Matter First Round of Matches With Fans After over nine months, fans are finally back in the stadiums, albeit at a limited capacity. "We are disappointed that a small group of supporters have today chosen to voice their opposition to such activities directly aimed at raising awareness of the fight against racism.". This is a message about unifying our country.". Following the match, the Football Association (FA) said it "strongly condemns" supporters who "actively voice their opposition" to players taking a stand against discrimination. Piers Morgan defends Jeremy Clarkson over 'being cancelled by ITV' despite past feud, Matt Hancock 'planned to celebrate' Piers Morgan's GMB exit during lockdown, Dan Walker hits back at 'bitter numptie' Piers Morgan over claim he's 'milking' crash, It seems Laurence could be joining Piers and Susanna on Monday morning as he replied: Ill come on tomorrow morning. Derby forward Colin Kazim-Richards described the incident as "an absolute disgrace". West Brom and Millwall fans got themselves in a massive punch-up at The Hawthorns during the two sides' encounter on Saturday. We should resist enforced orthodoxy. IN THE MONEY: Tottenham finally top a table as they rack up the highest interest payments in the Premier Kylian Mbappe becomes PSG's ALL-TIME leading goal scorer at just 24 YEARS OLD after netting his 201st goal PSG 4 - 2 Nantes: Kylian Mbappe becomes Parisians' ALL-TIME leading goal scorer with injury time strike, Benson will shoot for a 100,000 Cheltenham Festival bonus after winning bet365 Morebattle Hurdle at Kelso, 'It's time out of football when they are there for you, they understand it': Sean Dyche reveals how former David Moyes calls West Ham's 4-0 thrashing by Brighton 'one of worst performances' from his second stint at England's emerging star Rehan Ahmed could make a claim for a place in the World Cup if he impresses against 'I know he trusts me! Footballers have been taking a knee at the start of matches since football resumed in June as part of global sporting protests against racial injustice, police brutality and systemic discrimination against black people. Derbys black striker Kazim-Richards branded the jeering an absolute disgrace. Farm Heroes Saga, the #4 Game on iTunes. Peckham Lion said: I do remember my first game without my old man. As 2,000 supporters were permitted to attend the Millwall versus Derby County game, it also marked the first time fans have been present since footballers started to take the knee before games. Millwall have released a statement after their game with Derby County on Saturday was overshadowed by fans booing players taking the knee before the match. "What this demonstrates is that platers are right to continue standing up to discrimination, whether that is through taking the knee or speaking out. Ben Davies. Cancel any time. Share the love. Derby County caretaker manager Wayne Rooney has urged football fans to not "tolerate or accept" the actions of "mindless" fans who take part in discriminatory behaviour. Chelsea fans were rubbing their eyes when they finally saw their side score on Saturday. In footage on social media, fans at The Den, Millwall's home ground in southeast London, can be heard booing as players from both sides take a knee before kick-off. However, several players and pundits took to social media to condemn the fans and call for action to be taken. They said staff and volunteers have worked hard to enhance the club's reputation but admits there is still "much work to be done". Thats my view. "The club has worked tirelessly in recent months to prepare for the return of supporters and what should have been a positive and exciting occasion was completely overshadowed, much to the immense disappointment and upset of those who have contributed to those efforts. Last updated on 6 December 20206 December 2020.From the section Millwall. Derby first-team coach Liam Rosenior said that the players were affected by the booing at The Den on Saturday. Piers slammed the Millwall fans who booed their own Black players and told a follower: Dont you dare pretend the Millwall fans who did that have taken black players to their hearts. Trevor Sinclair, who was sacked by the BBC for racially abusing a police officer while being arrested for drink driving in 2018, slammed the Millwall fans. The latest rumours and stories from around the world of football. "Yesterday I witnessed the disgraceful and mindless behaviour by a large section of the Millwall supporters in the stadium," Rooney wrote in a social media post. M. illwall supporters loudly booed the Crystal Palace players taking the knee at the Den ahead of Saturday's FA Cup third-round tie. Millwall bossGary Rowett said he was 'disappointed' by the fans' behaviour, while opposition manager Wayne Rooney said it was 'surprising'. "The fight for racial equality continues and we will continue to work closely with clubs across the country to tackle discrimination in all its forms. However, the day was overshadowed by the fans' response to seeing their side take the knee for the first time in person. A lot of people are being fooled out there. Proud to be black.'. ', Former England striker Dion Dublin said: 'To me, they are racist. "We urge the players to continue using their platforms and their voices to support this fight.". View our online Press Pack. Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group. The FA has designated different amounts of capacity slots to different city's, differentiated by tiers. ', 'I am sure it is something that does need looking at and addressing. Some Millwall supporters booed when players from both sides took a knee before the Sky Bet Championship match, which Derby won 1-0. . Facebook; Twitter; Facebook Messenger; Pinterest; Email; Fans at Millwall's home game against Derby booed when players took a knee before the game to support the league's anti-racism message on . "The club do an enormous amount of work on anti-racism and the club do a lot of work in the community and there is some really positive stuff, so of course I am disappointed.". Some players, pundits and fans have condemned the fans' actions while others say the gesture is no longer appropriate. The Den was able to host 2,000 home fans for the first time this season after the second national lockdown was lifted. They don't agree with taking the knee, which means they're racist.'. ", Glittering drama based on the audacious Brinks-Mat security depot heist, A corrupt copper and a Leeds gangster are bound together by decades of dishonesty. "There is much work to be done and at Millwall everyone is committed to doing all that is possible, both individually and collectively, to be a force for good and to ensure that the club remains at the forefront of football's anti-discrimination efforts.". ', Gary Lineker joined other former players who condemned Millwall fans' behaviour on Twitter, Former England striker Dion Dublin said: 'To me, they are racist. I May Destroy You star Michaela Coel joins for his new series, The England captain talks VAR, fans returning and Justin Bieber. Millwall have said they are "dismayed and saddened" after fans booed players that took a knee ahead of their 1-0 defeat to Derby on Saturday. Townsend told Sky Sports: 'Well, I've got to be honest I was in conversation with the club last night and I feel for the good people at the club who I've worked with for the last year and a bit like Steve Kavanagh (chief executive), the chairman (John Berylson) and people on the board. Everyone at Derby has backed taking the knee and will continue to do so. Ahead of Saturday's game, Millwall's players released a statement signalling their intent to continue doing the gesture before matches until the New Year. Fans of the club were returning to The Den for the first time since . 'It is purely about tackling discrimination, as has been the case throughout. December 7, 2020 - 10:58AM Fans of English Championship club Millwall booed as players took a knee in support of the fight against racial injustice. It feels like it falls on deaf ears. Do you stand in condemnation of every one of those men and their lives aswell? Reading 2-0 Nottingham Forest: Royals chalk up another 'How NOT to mark Adama Traore': Wolves mock Arsenal's Granit Ex-Manchester City and Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli Ex-Newcastle star Shaka Hislop reveals how vile racist abuse Michael Vaughan arrives at court for Yorkshire cricket racism hearing, Erik ten Hag ready for 'next step' with Man Utd by beating top four rival Liverpool at Anfield, Steve Cooper talks about Premier League match against Everton, Graham Potter 'pleased' with side's performance in 1-0 win over Leeds, Graeme Souness questions Van Dijk's leadership capabilities, Liverpool v Man United: Jurgen Klopp press conference ahead of match, Man City manager Pep Guardiola speaks ahead of match against Newcastle, Arteta calls Arsenal's comeback victory a 'beautiful experience', Raiders star Jordan Rapan is grilled over brutal hit in match, NBA Star Ja Morant holds gun up to his head while at a strip club, Daily Mail reporter tests out Formula One training techniques, Souness and Robson joke they'd kick players wearing pink boots. Queens Park Rangers players celebrated scoring versus Millwall on Tuesday night by taking the knee, days after a group of Millwall's fans booed the anti-racism gesture. Their black players like Mahlon Romeo were heartbroken yesterday. Ben Haslam. His club said it was "fully behind any and all of our players and staff who take a stand against any form of discrimination", adding: "We also condemn the behaviours of any supporters that actively voice opposition to those activities.". Dont think you come to this ground and spread hatred. "We're delighted with the win, that's for sure. The Sun website is regulated by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO), Our journalists strive for accuracy but on occasion we make mistakes. 230K subscribers Some Millwall fans booed the players taking a knee before the club's match against Derby. 'Over the coming days, club, Academy and Community Trust staff will meet with Kick It Out and representatives from other appropriate bodies in an attempt to use Saturday's events as a catalyst for more rapid solutions which have an impact both in the short and long-term. ', Millwall boss Gary Rowett (left) said he was 'disappointed' by the fans' behaviour, while opposition manager Wayne Rooney (right) said it was 'surprising', In response, the FA said in a statement: 'The FA supports all players and staff that wish to take a stand against discrimination in a respectful manner, which includes taking of the knee, and strongly condemns the behaviours of any spectators that actively voice their opposition to such activities.'. Millwall supporters booed their own players while they took the knee in support of the fight against racism at The Den this afternoon. This means that we may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. The West London side hosted Leeds United as the Yorkshire side fight for their lives in the Premier League and the home fans were elated as they finally scored a . ', He added that it 'made me proud to wear this shirt with the boys today!!!'. Understand THAT., Laurence who has been critical of the BLM movement in the past spotted Piers comments and replied: Kneeling is a gesture of subservience and submission in our culture. The scenes sparked shockwaves through the game, and have divided social media users. Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO). Millwall fans boo their own players for kneeling Ever since English teams returned to the field last summer after an unplanned, months-long break caused by the coronavirus pandemic, players,. Laurence then shared a photo of German footballers giving the Nazi salute before their game against England in 1935. He wrote: 'Reality is Millwall fans booing players taking a knee doesn't surprise many!!! The English Football League said: "The EFL continues to support any individual player, players and clubs who choose to 'take the knee' in support of tackling inequality in society. Infantino visited London this weekend for the . "It is our duty to reinforce the positive messaging. Millwall boss Gary Rowett said he was 'disappointed' by the fans' behaviour, while opposition manager Wayne Rooney said it was 'surprising'. "It is so disheartening because it is like we have come so far but we have so far to go. ', Players from both clubs took a knee before kick-off as part of the on going fight against racism, Inbetweeners actor Blake Harrison said: 'Sad and embarrassed to be a Millwall fan today.'. Those who booed were. ", Cousin of Black Lives Matter founder died after being repeatedly tasered by police - as bodycam footage released, Boris Johnson had 'problem' responding to race report due to his 'bad track record', peer claims, Hate crimes recorded in England and Wales reach record high. Interim Rams boss Rooney said: Its a sad thing to happen, a shame. Proud of the staff. The jeering happened at the . Millwall fans boo as players take the knee in support of Black Lives Matter movement. I heard it and wasvery surprised. Captaincy chaos and Waldrum ultimatums - Will Nigeria be ready for World Cup. Will people be happy for players to take the knee for the next 10 years but see no actual progress made? But Rowett and his squad said it was their duty to reinforce the positive messaging in the fight against racism. Piers explained that nobody is forced to take the knee in a democracy and that it would be nice if those who did choose to protest against racial injustice werent booed by racist morons. The Rams then moved off the foot of the table with a goal from Jason Knight in the 69th minute. Rosenior is a member of the FA's inclusion advisory board and is also on a panel of six who will appoint the next FA chairman in the spring. "But I'll say it every single damn time this is why I STAND and STAND PROUD and I have to say every single person involved with [Derby] did too.". Home affairs reporter Millwall's own black players were called every racist name under the sun despite wearing our shirt with pride. Millwall fans boo as players from both the home side and Derby took the knee prior to kick-off. "We are taking the next appointment extremely seriously in terms of not just what's right for football but what's right for society," said former England Under-21 international Rosenior, who played for a host of clubs, including Fulham, Reading, Hull and Brighton. How to get into football - the most popular sport in the world, with clubs and facilities throughout the UK. "Look at the actions of Marcus Rashford recently and what he's done to implement change. The EFL decided to allow individual players and teams in the Football League to make their own decision on whether to continue taking the knee while the gesture still takes place in the Premier League. Say the word.. Went with a load of mates from Peckham, Lewisham, Hither green and Catford. The Football Association and anti-discrimination body Kick It Out have also condemned the booing. SERIOUSLY??? were fears before the match that Millwall fans would boo the anti-racism message. Former England captain Rooney, whose side. "The fight for racial equality continues and we will continue to work closely with clubs across the country to tackle discrimination in all its forms. The players, staff and match officials all took a knee at the start of the match between. No commitment. . The position was taken by National Football League (NFL) player Colin Kaepernick during the playing of the U.S. national anthem to call attention to racial injustice, and has been adopted by many sports players since. The comments below have not been moderated. "We applaud the players for taking a stand and defying the hate shown today.". "There are 2,000 so you can pinpoint the people going. He told Sky Sports: "I'm disappointed that we are talking about that when we should be talking about the fact we are all back and we want to enjoy the football match again. In return, Sunak loyalists are muttering, Theresa May is the true villain in this latest Tory Brexit war, Isolating with the ex: Lucy by the Sea, by Elizabeth Strout, reviewed, Hancock and Goves cringeworthy Covid love-in, Is Putin winning? They're trying to change around history of this football club and it's never going to be easy because their fanbase has let them down continuously. We've had a tough period so I'm delighted for the players and the supporters because they've had to suffer. Millwall say they are "dismayed and saddened" after some of their fans booed players taking a knee at the start of Saturday's game against Derby. A video is currently doing the rounds appearing to show the sets of supporters clashing during the game, with fists thrown with intent to hurt. 4 Millwall fans were involved in a fight in the away end at Cardiff Credit: Rex 4 Millwall's match with Derby on Saturday was the first time their supporters were able to watch from the stands since the coronavirus pandemic halted games in March. I am sick to death of talking about this situation. There has been great progress in that campaign and to hear that today is upsetting for a lot of people.. "The players are continuing to use the biggest platform they have to support the drive for change, not just in football but in society generally. Forward Callum Harriott, who scored the winner, later called the booing "ridiculous" and said it left him "absolutely disappointed". Dec 6, 2020, 8:12 AM. Millwall's match with Derby on. The Den welcomed back 2,000 supporters for the first time since the start of the pandemic for their 1-0. Millwall fans booed as players took the knee ahead of their game against Derby Supporters returned to The Den for the first time since the coronavirus outbreak The club issued a statement. 'Every time I've played there I've heard a form of racist abuse this has got to stop.'. The first weekend of fans returning to Championship grounds was overshadowed by Millwall supporters booing as players were taking a knee. Derby forward Colin Kazim-Richards described the incident as "an absolute disgrace". As a result, Academy and Community Trust staff will meet with Kick It Out and representatives from other appropriate bodies in an attempt to use Saturday's events as a catalyst for more rapid solutions which have an impact both in the short and long-term. Laurence Fox has offered to appear on Good Morning Britain tomorrow to continue his heated debate with Piers Morgan over the Millwall fans who booed players kneeling for Black Lives Matter. Millwall fans group says booing players taking a knee was not racist A statement from the Millwall Supporters' Club on Sunday, however, said the boos were aimed at the 'Black Lives Matter'.