Fernando Valenzuela Anguamea (born November 1, 1960 in Novojao, Mexico) is a Mexican former left-handed pitcher who pitched for six different teams during his Major League Baseball career, most notably the Los Angeles Dodgers, with whom he pitched for eleven seasons, from 1980 to 1990. ", Beloved Scully delights Dodgers fans at Game 2, Scherzer tries to test pitch clock limits, gets balk, Jays' Guerrero to miss WBC with inflamed knee, Rangers, LHP Smith agree to 1-year, $1.5M deal, 7 Cubs combine for 1st spring no-no since 2017, Jays 'playing it safe' after Guerrero tweaks knee, PitchCom-tipping: Loud device leaks Twins calls, Eflin's first start after $40M deal impresses Rays. It was fate that enabled me to throw that no-hitter. Rick Cerone gave the Yanks a 43 lead in the third with a two-run homer, but the Yankees left two on once again. dark. He was 10 years removed from his legendary " Fernandomania " season of 1981, when he. 8) Jack Morris. Free shipping. [15] With a stronger farm system and adding valuable players via trade or free agency, they did win division titles in 1983 and 1985, while narrowly missing in 1982. As Scully prepared to throw the pitch, he stopped midway through to reveal a curveball. It was for that reason, Valenzuela, who sparkedFernandomaniaacross Dodgers Nation, refused to report to Spring Training the following March until he was paid a fair wage. We also offer a variety of resources for baseball players, including tips on hitting, pitching, and fielding. WP- Valenzuela (1-0) LP-Vazquez (0-1) Sv-Soria (1) HR- Clemente (1) A three-run third inning was enough as Fernando Valenzuela bested Javier Vazquez in a pitchers' duel and another top seed took a loss. Schedule | Complete coverage , "It must be terrifying for you to look out here and see me," Scully told Yeager. Valenzuela played 17 Major League Baseball (MLB) seasons, from 1980 to 1991 and 1993 to 1997. Scully said as he walked toward the pitcher's mound to a standing ovation from the sold-out crowd. Fernando Valenzuela Due to the players' strike, which ran from June 12 to August 8, the 1981 season was split into two halves, with the first-place teams from each half in each division (or a wild card team if the same club won both halves, although this did not occur in any division) meeting in the best-of-five League Division Series (this division series was a one-off occasion; it was not until 1994 that the Division Series would be implemented on a permanent basis). You're always looking to win, you always want to win the game, but if something more happens, like putting up nine zeros, getting a shutout or even throwing a no-hitter or a perfect game, that's something harder. $69.99. Fernando Valenzuela "El Toro" Fernando Valenzuela 1981 Season Posted by Bob Lewis on July 31, 2019 "Those activities are kind of my outlet. Their success culminated with a world championship in 1988, becoming the only team to win two World Series between 1978 and 1990, and the only team to win more than one World Series title during the 1980s. All advice, including picks and predictions, is based on individual commentators opinions and not that of Minute Media or its related brands. He showed up in the postseason, too. Valenzuela is still involved with the Dodgers organization as a Spanish-language commentator. So for me, at that time, I tried to find the corners with my pitches because I had given up six walks and the score was 6-0, so I could afford to allow one or two batters to get on base and still have a chance of winning. This was the Dodgers' first title since 1965, their first victory over the Yankees since 1963, and third overall Series win over the Yankees. On this occasion, it went straight to Samuel at second base. The Yankees would score in the bottom of the sixth on a pinch-hit RBI single by Lou Piniella. Yes, I'll always remember it. The early part of Valenzuela's career [ edit] Page 142. He was a six-time All-Star during his 11 seasons in Los Angeles from 1980-90. Dave Winfield walked and Jackson singled before Goltz gave up a sacrifice fly to Bob Watson. Michaels became ABC's lead baseball play-by-play announcer (and exclusive World Series announcer) by the time the network next aired the World Series in 1983. Morris made four all-star teams during the 80s and helped lead the Tigers to the 1984 World Series Championship. It's none other than " El Toro " Fernando Valenzuela. Valenzuela's best post-Dodgers year came in 1996 with the division winners in San Diego, as he was 13-8 with a 3.61 ERA in 33 games, including 31 starts. Why Adam Wainwright, Cardinals aren't worried about low velocity readings June 29, 1990, was my chance to throw a no-hitter, and I think that leaves great memories because it wasn't just my achievement, it was the whole team's. Valenzuela would eventually get his big payday in 1986 when he became the highest paid pitcher in baseball by signing a three-year, $5.5 million deal. Here you'll find information on the game of baseball, from the rules to the history. Ron Davis issued one-out walks to pitcher Hooton and Davey Lopes. Because to throw a no-hitter, you need support from the offense, you need them to make runs. 2019 The Mexican Baseball League commemorated the great legacy of Fernando Valenzuela on 6 July 2019 and retired his jersey number #34 from the entire league. In addition to the National League rookie of the year award and a Silver Slugger, he won the award as a 20-year-old. var pfHeaderImgUrl = '';var pfHeaderTagline = '';var pfdisableClickToDel = 0;var pfHideImages = 0;var pfImageDisplayStyle = 'right';var pfDisablePDF = 0;var pfDisableEmail = 0;var pfDisablePrint = 0;var pfCustomCSS = 'https://www.baseball-almanac.com/css/print.css';var pfBtVersion='2';(function(){var js,pf;pf=document.createElement('script');pf.type='text/javascript';pf.src='//cdn.printfriendly.com/printfriendly.js';document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(pf)})(); Did you know that in the Fernando Valenzuela Miscellaneous World Series Items of Interest section seen above you can click the Stats link under the World Series label and a truly comprehensive history of that World Series will appear on your screen? Not that they think it's going to happen -- that's another thing -- but when it gets past the fifth or sixth inning, they start paying more attention because the game's almost over and they're close to a no-hitter. He was on the Dodgers 1988 World Series championship team, but he did not play in the playoffs because of an injured shoulder. The Dodgers won the title in seven games. Focus on Sport/Getty Images The next season, when he was. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. How the Astros dominated Darvish CNN . Fantasy baseball: Which prospects have fantasy value in 2023? Fernando Valenzuela made his debut with the Dodgers late in 1980. He remained with the Dodgers for several more seasons, but was never able to match his early success. He was inducted into the Mexican baseball Hall of Fame in 2014. No, that would have been the World Series. The core of the position players remained intact with perennial all-star Steve Garvey at first, Davey Lopes at second, Bill Russell at shortstop, and team leader in home runs with 13, Ron Cey at third. He pitched professionally until the 2007-08 Mexican Pacific League season. })(); Designed by Elegant Themes | Powered by WordPress, Donald Glover: From Baseball Player To Award-Winning Actor, Stay Informed About Baseball With Baseball Tonight Scoreboard Podcast, Making Your Baseball Bat Stand Out: Stamping A USA Logo For A Patriotic Touch. After the first pitch, Scully left fans with the phrase he uttered before every Dodgers game that he called from Brooklyn to Los Angeles before retiring. That year, he would also help the Los Angeles Dodgers win their first World Series since 1965, throwing a complete game and getting the win in Game 3 against the New York Yankees. Valenzuela was a six-time All-Star during his tenure with the Dodgers, and was part of a second World Series championship team in 1988. Things happened, because they are things nobody can predict when these games will happen. I'm the kind of person who, when something big happens, I try not to show it, but I do feel it. The Houston Astros, however, won the second-half division title. Signed as a pitcher, El Toro shocked fans by showing some pop. The Dodgers goal is to have Gonzlez contribute to their post-season chances. Winfield's throw typified his struggles in this, his first World Series. The Dodgers wound up meeting those, going on to defeat the New York Yankees in six games to win the 1981 World Series. Bob Lemon lasted fourteen games in the next season before being dismissed by Steinbrenner despite promises to finish the whole season (although Lemon was quoted as being relieved over the decision). Fernando Valenzuela . He wore a white Panama hat that day. He improved slightly in 1989 and went 10-13; he posted a 13-13 record in 1990. Ron Cey, meanwhile, provided him a 30 lead in the Dodger half with a three-run homer off Dave Righetti. Notes: PitchCom, Jason Heyward, cold weather. Steve Yeager, hitting for Scioscia, promptly gave the Dodgers the lead when he drove home Baker with a sacrifice fly. Jackson was not even allowed to pinch-hit. Reggie Jackson, continuing his torrid hitting, helped provide Guidry a lead by doubling to left in the second off Jerry Reuss, moving to third on a Davey Lopes error, and scoring on a Lou Piniella infield single. Valenzuela would pitch eight shutouts in all and win both the National Leagues Rookie of the Year and Cy Young awards. Fernando, see if you can get one over for me.". According to Johnstone's book Temporary Insanity (1985), Steinbrenner confronted Davis in the Yankees' locker room after the game and demanded, "Why did you throw Johnstone a fastball?". Dodgers pitchers are hesitant to use the PitchCom device to call their own pitches. Valenzuela was sent by the Padres to the Cardinals in a six-player trade in July 1997, and ended his career with five starts for St. Louis. Monday reached second. Fernando Valenzuela was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1997. How comprehensive is our World Series data? "Like that,'' Fernando Valenzuela said of the passage of time. Valenzuela was released at the end of spring training in 1991,. He is the only player in baseball history to win the Rookie of the Year and Cy Young Award in the same year. Though, he was unable to pitch that postseason due to injury. In honor of El Toro's 58th cumpleaos, here are 10 reasons why we love him: 1. The chart below is a comprehensive analysis of the games Valenzuela pitched in, specifically relating to his 1981 pitching statistics. . Gonzalez has already made an impact on the Dodgers organization, and he has already had an impact on the Dodgers. Davis had troubles in the sixth. After fanning Dusty Baker, Guidry surrendered back-to-back solo home runs to Pedro Guerrero and Steve Yeager. The injury caused him to miss Games 3, 4, and 5, but he played in Games 2 & 6. On November 11, 1981, Fernando Valenzuela became the first rookie to win the Cy Young Award in its history. After combining for ten division titles and eight World Series appearances between 1974 and 1981, the 1981 World Series marked the end of an era for both teams as they soon were without key contributors. Blake Williams. Visit his page for comprehensive We have box scores from every World Series game in history, line scores, Series rosters, composite team stats, trivia, a sample program, and a detailed written account of the actual Fall Classic. That's why it was so important. May gave up a double to Steve Garvey and an RBI single to Cey in the fifth, but the Yankees countered with two in the sixth on RBI singles by Oscar Gamble and Watson off Tom Niedenfuer. Copyright 1999- Lou Piniella chased Reuss with an RBI single in the third, and Dodger reliever Bobby Castillo walked four batters in the fourth to give New York a 50 lead. document.write(update); The Dodgers swept the World Series in seven games. This broadcaster thinks so. OK. Are you ready?". by Jessy Williamson | Nov 4, 2022 | Dodgers. I remember the moment well. listeners: [], forms: { The Yankees mounted their final threat in the eighth when Aurelio Rodrguez and Milbourne led off with back-to-back singles. In both the third and fifth innings, the Dodgers were helped by the Yankees' being unable to use a designated hitter (since it was used in last season's Series). This was the latest-ending World Series by calendar date up to that time (surpassing the 1911 Series, which ended on October 26). Scorpio Baseball Player #17. New York's bullpen further collapsed in the sixth. Dave Winfield stumbled on the wet grass, fell forward, and uncorked an errant throw. Don't mess up. Fernando Valenzuela delivers a pitch for the Dodgers during a game in April 1984. Lets look at some potential Dodgers SS additions. At the time, the league was still in the early stages of its salary arbitration process. Scully was the Dodgers' primary local announcer during the regular season. Brito, who was born in Cuba and was a key figure in the discovery of the pitcher Fernando Valenzuela, whose sensational 1981 season sparked a frenzy of fans known as Fernandomania, died on Thursday at the age of 77. document.write(update); Way-too-early 2018 power rankings The Fernando Valenzuela World Series stats seen below include his World Series year-by-year hitting stats, World Series fielding stats, and World Series pitching stats (where applicable). Yankee third baseman Graig Nettles suffered a hairline fracture of his left thumb when he made a diving stop. After 1988 Valenzuela was 55-63 with a 4.30 ERA, a 91 ERA+, with 546 strikeouts and 411 walks in 982 innings, including 32-37 with a 4.49 ERA, a 93 ERA+, with 315 strikeouts and 236 walks in 581 innings after leaving the Dodgers. Make it happen, Dodgers. But whatever happens, you're always thinking about doing your best. (Video source:https://www.youtube.com/wat. There Valenzuela led the Texas League with 162 strikeouts, finishing the season with a 139 win-loss record and a 3.10 ERA. [citation needed]. I'm going to have to go to the bullpen. If so, please send it to us, and we'll update this page immediately." Composite Dodgers 2023 team prospect rankings. Skyhorse Publishing. (function() { They were scouting him in his native Mexico, and they were impressed by his pitching ability. 1988 Dodgers player profile: Fernando Valenzuela, the injuredsuperstar. He will be honored from Aug. 11-13 when the Dodgers host Colorado. window.mc4wp = window.mc4wp || { Righetti would win the American League's Rookie of the Year award. update=copyright.getFullYear(); Fernando Valenzuela was a pudgy, jovial left-handed pitcher from Mexico who became an international phenomenon in his rookie year in the major leagues in 1981, winning the Cy Young Award and Rookie of the Year Award. In 1981, Fernando Valenzuela pitched a three-hitter in the third game of the World Series as the Los Angeles Dodgers defeated the New York Yankees. The Dodgers have an unofficial policy or only retiring uniform numbers of players and managers in the Hall of Fame, with Jim Gilliam the only exception. Bad Bunny accepts the award for musica urbana album at the 65th Grammy Awards. Moments later, Steve Yeager, who was the Dodgers' catcher for 14 seasons and the MVP of the 1981 World Series, stepped out of the dugout and up to home plate. But I think all pitchers know what's happening. Uras played a key role in the postseason, going 4-0. When you found out, before your game started, that Dave Stewart had already thrown a no-hitter, did that motivate you? He had more strikeouts than walks in just five of his 23 appearances. Part of the Baseball Almanac Family, Fernando Valenzuela 1981 Division Series Pitching Logs, Fernando Valenzuela 1981 League Championship Series Pitching Logs, Fernando Valenzuela 1981 World Series Pitching Logs, Fernando Valenzuela 1981 Game by Game Pitching Logs. Year Team League; 1981: Los Angeles Dodgers: NL: NL Rookie of the Year. He went on to. [16] However, since their 1988 World Series win, the Dodgers would not appear in another World Series until 2017 (which they lost to the Houston Astros), despite reaching the NLCS in 2008, 2009, 2013, and 2016. Valenzuela was the first player in MLB history to win the Cy Young Award and Rookie of the Year in the same season. Fernando's reputation was enhanced with wins in both the 1981 division and league championship series. What were your thoughts at the time? Normally, they don't speak to you, they don't say anything. It was important to me because we got the win, I did a good job and, who knows, if I hadn't played well, maybe I wouldn't have been given other opportunities. NL Los Angeles Dodgers (4) vs. AL New York Yankees (2). He signed with the Tigers in 1992 but was lent to the Mexican League and spent all season with Jalisco. 1981 In 1981, Fernando Valenzuela won Game 3 of the World Series against the New York Yankees. Valenzuela would pitch eight shutouts in all and win both the National League's Rookie of the Year and Cy Young awards. for all stats, uniform numbers worn, salary data and other factual When I was getting ready, warming my arm up for the game, when I went out there and they told me that Dave had already thrown a no-hitter, I told them: Well, you've already seen one on TV, now you're going to see one live. But that was just something I said. "I always felt that way, that something was wrong," Lasorda said. Not only was he 8-0 with five shutouts after his first eight major league starts, but he pitched nine innings in each of those first eight starts. "It's not my arm. Winfield's huge contract (US$21 million over 10 years), was added to an already strong lineup. In his final five seasons with the Dodgers, he posted a 4.05 ERA (91 ERA+) while averaging 30. In the 1981 World Series, Fernando Valenzuela and his teammates won the World Series ()championship for the Dodgers. He went finished the season 13-7 with a 2.48 ERA, 11 complete games and eight shoutouts. 5 keys for the Dodgers to win the World Series. Post-1988 playing career: Valenzuela returned to health and pitched 400 combined innings in 1989-1990. Color commentary was handled by Howard Cosell and Baltimore Orioles pitcher Jim Palmer; Palmer would later join ABC's baseball broadcast team after retiring as a player. You also need to play well on defense. 10 min read. Dodger Stadium again started cheering when Fernando Valenzuela, who won two World Series with the Dodgers, in 1981 and 1988, and ignited "Fernandomania" when he captured the National League Cy Young and Rookie of the Year awards in 1981, stepped out of the dugout to throw out the first pitch to his former catcher. They finally broke their World Series Championship drought by winning in 2020 against the Tampa Bay Rays. Both home runs were hit on sliders almost to the same place in left-center. The greatest lineups ever? Pinch-hitter Bobby Murcer flied out to end the inning. Did you know that Fernando Valenzuela pitched 12 games at home, had an ERA of 1.57, pitched 97.1 innings, allowed 62 hits, had 17 earned runs, 18 runs, and 7 home runs, walked 23 batters (1 intentionally), threw 0 wild pitches, hit batters 0 times, and balked 0 times? Steve Howe replaced him and earned the save. Cey had to be helped off the field with a concussion, but was cleared to play Game 6 after it was delayed one day by rain. "You know what I'm thinking right now?" We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. As great as Valenzuela was, he will not make it to Cooperstown. Prior MLB experience: Valenzuela was an absolute workhorse for the first seven years of his career. Lemon pinch-hit for his starting pitcher in the fourth inning of a 11 game. In situations like this, they ask you, At what point did you realize what you were achieving? And the truth is you always know. Valenzuela was called up to the Los Angeles Dodgers bullpen in September 1980. Bob Watson smashed a three-run homer off Jerry Reuss in the first to get the Yankees started. Notes: The Date / Box field has a link to the box score from the game being described. The Braves . Valenzuela pitched a shutout in the 1981 World Series and helped the Dodgers win the championship. Jackson brought the Yankees closer with a home run in the eighth off lefty Steve Howe, capping a 3-for-3 day. While he played for six MLB teams, he is best remembered for his time with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Pinch-hitter Bobby Murcer attempted a sacrifice bunt, but popped it foul. "I feel like I'm almost defiling the mound," Scully said as he handed the ball over to Valenzuela. He has been writing about the sport for over five years and is passionate about sharing his knowledge and enthusiasm for the game. I got a glove to it on the mound and deflected it a little, but it went straight to Juan Samuel, who was playing at second base. Was that the greatest moment of your career? One Cy Young Award (when he led the league in games started, complete games, shutouts, innings pitched and strikeouts), and then for the rest of his career he led the in complete games two more times, and wins once, and won o. Valenzuela became the first pitcher in Major League Baseball history to throw a no-hitter, as he tossed a six-hitter in a 60 victory over the St. Louis Cards at Dodger Stadium on June 29, 1990. He seemed to be in trouble every inning, but somehow managed to pitch a complete game, giving up. He improved slightly in 1989 and went 1013; he posted a 1313 record in 1990. When did Fernando Valenzuela win his Second World Series? They would also appear in the World Series in 2018 against the Boston Red Sox, which they also lost. We again have the honor of having our announcer call the biggest game. Valenzuela, despite giving up 9 hits (including 2 homers), walking 7, and throwing 149 pitches in facing 40 batters, went the distance to give the Dodgers their first win of the series. When did Fernando Valenzuela join the Los Angeles Dodgers? Across his field of view are the Dodgers' retired numbers 1, 2, 4, 19, 20, 24, 32, 39, 42, 53. He became a sensation in 1981, when he won the Rookie of the Year and Cy Young Awards. ABC Sports covered this World Series on television in the United States, its third under the then-present contract of alternating Series coverage with NBC Sports. After Hooton retired the next two batters, he intentionally walked Larry Milbourne to face John (there was no designated hitter in this series). All picks and predictions are suggestions only. Year Team League; Elsa/Getty Images. The Atlanta Braves have won their first World Series title since 1995 after defeating the Houston Astros 7-0 in Game 6 on Tuesday night at Minute Maid Park. Coming off their first championship since 1965, the franchise was in a strong position to stand firm. He was given more than 28 times the $35,000 minimum salary, which is more than four times his annual salary. Frazier would take the loss and become the first pitcher to lose three games in a best-of-seven World Series and second pitcher to lose three times in any World Series (the first being Lefty Williams, a member of the Chicago White Sox in the best-of-nine 1919 World Series). SPONSORED. On June 29, 1990, Valenzuela threw his only MLB no-hitter, pitching at Dodger Stadium against the St. Louis Cardinals, a 60 victory. Valenzuela made an immediate impact with the Dodgers in 1981, winning the Rookie of the Year and Cy Young Awards, inspiring "Fernandomania" as the Dodgers won the World Series. He appeared in six consecutive All-Star games. "Watching Fernando Valenzuela force himself into a Los Angeles Dodgers uniform is something like seeing Kate Smith struggling to fit into a pair of Brooke Shields' designer jeans." Fernando Valenzuela started opening day for the Dodgers in 1988, but injuries and ineffectiveness limited the highest paid pitcher in baseball to his worst season to date. Several months prior to that, a 20-year-old Mexican native took the mound on Opening Day for his first career Major League start. Do you still have any souvenirs from that game? Yankees pitcher George Frazier tied a World Series record for losing three of the six games in 1981. "Somewhere up in heaven, Duke Snider, Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and Gil Hodges are laughing their heads off. A tense moment occurred in the eighth when Goose Gossage beaned Ron Cey. He was honored during the first homestand during the 2019 season as the first giveaway was a Fernando Valenzuela replica jersey. In the National League, the Dodgers led the National League West prior to the strike. The Dodgers won the title in seven games. He issued a one-out walk to Mike Scioscia and gave up a pinch-hit homer to Jay Johnstone to make the score 65. Should his number be retired? "So I'm going to ask you to do it on three, so they can hear it all the way to Houston. After Dusty Baker reached on an error by Nettles, loading the bases again, Guerrero singled in two more runs. Last Name Valenzuela #9. But after losing three of his first five starts, the magic returned, as he pitched complete games in six of his next seven outings, and went 17-10 with a 2.89 ERA over his final 32 starts. Where what happened yesterday is being preserved today. His $2.05 million salary in 1988 made him the first pitcher to make north of $2 million in one season. Next up, from Pool A, Tokyo: Israel (Dave A. Roberts Joe Horlen) vs. Americas (Jose Quintana) Winfield led the Yankees with 25 doubles and 68 RBIs. Davis then gave up a game-tying single to Bill Russell. over New York Yankees (A.L.). He made his Major League debut in 1981, and he quickly became one of the best pitchers in baseball. What's the Dodgers' plan at shortstop? It's good to know, though, that we're able to take care of him. The Dodgers gave Valenzuela the lead back in the bottom of the fifth off Frazier when Pedro Guerrero doubled in Steve Garvey to tie it, and Cey scored on a double play grounder by Mike Scioscia. At the plate, he went 1-for-22 with one RBI. And in that scenario, when they told me that Dave Stewart had already thrown a no-hitter, I was happy, because I know him, he had played for us, for the Dodgers, and after playing for a few other teams he had finally ended up in Oakland, which was who he threw that no-hitter for. On February 19, 1983, Fernando Valenzuela became the first player to be awarded a $1 million salary in arbitration. The Dodgers won the Series in six games, as the Yankees had done in the teams' prior two Series meetings, in 1977 and 1978. SPONSORED. Though, he was unable to pitch that postseason due to. * 21+ (19+ CA-ONT) (18+ NH/WY). Valenzuela was part of two World Series champion teams, winning the 1981 Rookie of the Year and Cy Young awards. In 10 games as a relief pitcher, he allowed zero earned runs. Terms at draftkings.com/sportsbook. In 1980 Valenzuela was promoted to the Double-A level San Antonio Dodgers. Rather, Valenzuela would begin a descent that eventually saw him released in spring training of 1991. He spoke little English but captivated this city and baseball fans across. Copyright 1999- Reuschel walked Steve Garvey intentionally and gave up an RBI force-out to pinch-hitter Derrel Thomas. (Jayne Kamin-Oncea / Los Angeles Times) It's not a stretch or blasphemous to. In the bottom of the fourth, Yankee manager Bob Lemon made a controversial decision. On October 25, 2017, Valenzuela threw the first pitch at game 2 of the 2017 World Series at Dodger Stadium, introduced by recently retired announcer Vin Scully, and joined by Steve Yeager. On Reuschel's second pitch, Lopes and Russell pulled a double steal. - Reza, H.G. The Yankees lost Reggie Jackson (who left in free agency), Graig Nettles (traded in 1984), Goose Gossage (left in free agency in 1984 only to play once more with them in 1989), and Tommy John (traded away to California before returning in 1986), among others. While the Yankees boasted a well-balanced squad, the Dodgers were not to be denied their first World Series title in 16 years. This marked the end of the 8 1/2 year Dodger infield of Garvey, Lopes, Russell and Cey. In 11 seasons with the Dodgers, he compiled a 141-116 record with a 3.31 earned run average. Its the best way to watch player interviews, exclusive coverage from events, participate in our shows, and more! Watson led off the fifth with a double, but no one scored as Valenzuela pitched out of it again. All Rights Reserved by Baseball Almanac, Inc.Hosted by Hosting 4 Less. Valenzuela played 11 of his 17 years in the major leagues with Los Angeles. In 1988, a year in which the Dodgers won the World Series, he won just five games and missed much of the season, despite not being on the postseason roster, he still earned a second World Series ring. This World Series was the last to be called by Jackson in the broadcast booth.