By noon they had my boat in the shop and by noon on Wednesday, less than 48 hours after the call, the boat had been professionally repaired and was back in the water.They saved my vacation! Grand Theft Auto Online provides examples of the following tropes:. Spinnaker (light weight) 3467 : Minneapolis : Minnesota : May 09, 2022: Wanted - lightly used racing sails main and jib . I'll be floating my new (to me) Flying Scot for the first time this Spring and am not sure how i'll go about retrieving her. Even the proper length of a daysailer, an aspect of small-boat design that might seem self evident, has become a subject of debate, as the daysailer concept has come to include boats with LOAs of 40 feet or more. We would launch and recover our Scot from the marsh each season with a Seitech dolly connected to the trailer. 1200 lbs. This is helpful, thanks. Many of the boats already mentioned can fit in this category as wellthe J/22, Flying Scot, Lido 14 and Ensign have all introduced untold newbies to the art of sailing, and the gorgeous Tartan Fantail is also available in a dedicated trainer version. A Scottish syllabus has been blamed for a school on the Isle of Man's sex education lessons that saw a drag queen guest tell pupils there were 73 genders. It tows well, but iis extremely tongue light (at last, a use for my barbells, they are chained to the tongue!). I have a VW Tiguan, 4 cyl, which does OK, but you can feel the boat more than with our Toyota Sienna. Whether you want to cruise to your next destination at a fast pace or are striving for a simple, easy to sail vessel, this fleet of trailerable sailboats and pocket cruisers will fit your needs and budget. If you use a come along be careful not to stand behind it (or have anything important there) in case something gives way. What about a boat you can drag up onto a beach for a little sail camping? While we cant always say yes to this endeavor. The iconic J/24, for example, in addition to helping usher in the modern sport boat era, has also provided countless afternoon sails between races. A furling jib and mainsail with slab reefing come standard with the boat; a gennaker and trapeze kit are options, as is an outboard motor mount and transom swim ladder. Bring on the letters to the editor! Copyright Flying Scot Sailing Association 2023. Bernie, We also towed with a Toyota Sienna, which did a great job. The citation says in part: "a hotshot small boat sailor with a penchant for planing, designer Gordon "Sandy" Douglass was already famous in 1957 for high speed creations: the 17-foot Thistle and 20-foot Highlander. Our owners rave about these trailers. In the parking lot I use a two step ladder to enter and exit boat during setup. Scott, Copyright Flying Scot Sailing Association 2023. beetlecat.com, With berths for four and a workable galley featuring a cooler, a sink, and a stove, West Wight Potter has packed a lot into its 19-foot-long P 19. It must also be easy to launch, whether at the start of the season or the start of the day. And while most would be labeled as a one or two person sailboat, some could comfortably fit three or even four people. The trailer has an adjustable axle mounting point so it can be moved fwd or aft to adjust hitch weight. Other great trainers include American Sail Inc.s American 18 and 14.6, Cape Cod Shipbuilding Co.s Bulls Eye, Mercury, Rhodes 19and Uffa Fox-designed DaySailer, and the various boats at the smaller ends of the Catalina and Hunter lines, including the Catalina Expo 16.5 and the Hunter 15. I even had camping gear etc in the boat and we were fine. I told him we would get the boat on the trailer and then use the trailer winch to pull the trailer up to the car! See below SKU: 750603 Category: Trailer You may also like Aluminum FS Trailer $ 2,814.00 Add to cart Flying Scot Tie Down Strap $ 28.00 Add to cart Galvanized Steel Trailer $ 2,514.00 Add to cart Spare Tire Locking Mount $ 24.00 Add to cart Trailer Winch Strap $ 19.80 Add to cart To go sailing, however, all we really need is a hull, mast, rudder, and sail. The roomy cockpit is self-bailing, and the bow harbors a good-sized storage area with a waterproof hatch. with no tow rating all over the place including Lake George from NJ with major NY mountains. The trailer weighs about a ton and is rusted together. Is a daysailer strictly for taking a spin around the harbor on a sunny day? Spend your time sailinginstead of working on the boat. Is your frame 17' from hitch to the farthest point aft? Our boats are sound and hold up against the toughest conditions. FSSA Cruising Lake Pontchartrain - After Midwinters! Researchers have announced the discovery of the wreck of the schooner barge Ironton in Lake Huron, sitting upright with masts and rigging still intact and with the lifeboat that could have saved her crew still lashed to the ships stern. I find the big factors are how far you tow, how often, and how hilly the area is. Built in Canada, the NorseBoat 21.5 is a rugged looking craft that comes in a couple of configurations: one with an open cockpit and small doghouse, and another with a smaller cockpit and cabin that houses a double berth for two adults and optional quarter berths for the kids. Other diminutive multihulls that are perfect for a day out on the water include the 14-foot Weta, the Searail 19 and the WindRider 16 and 17all trimarans. If you have an eye for elegant lines and your heart goes pitter-patter over just the right amount of overhang beneath a counter transom, the Marblehead 22 daysailer, designed by Doug Zurn and built by Samoset Boatworks in Boothbay, Maine, will definitely raise your pulse. My current trailer - which may be too small - seems to be just slightly wider than my boat. Pulling is one aspect but much more important is stopping the whole rig. $19,800, (727) 443-4408, com-pacyachts.com, The Catalina 16.5 sits right in the middle of Catalina Yachts line of small sailboats, which range from the 12.5 to the 22 Capri and Sport, and it comes in both an easy-to-trailer centerboard model and a shoal-draft fixed-keel configuration. She is easy to sail, store, rig and transport. Read the owners' manuals!!! CONTACT TRAILEX. Recommend a heavier vehicle and we now tow with a Honda Pilot and Nissan Xterra. We have the highest regard for all those involved in building our familys sailing future. Looking for 170 tongue weight. Schock Harbor 25, S&S 30 and the Morris 29. If you are doing this by yourself and or on a regular basis, it sounds pretty difficult. We are considering a CRV but with 1500 pound towing capacity our mechanic said it would not be ideal for our area given the weight of the trailer and boat plus gear. The Flying Scot family does not refer to just us here at the factory. Galvanized trailer The boat was part of a school until it was put away in a messy way. 4mm / 5mm Marlow Excel Racing. . 19' Flying Scot #3442 for sale. [3], The boat is supported by an active class association, the Flying Scot Sailing Association, which controls the boat's design and organizes racing regattas. However, a funny thing happened on the way to the finish line for a number of smaller designs originally conceived as racers: they also turned out to be great daysailers. How would you describe the ideal daysailer? Good idea to use acomealong - I'll investigate that idea or maybe choose another boat launch. I put new jib sheet cleats on the seat theway they do on the radical race package at the factory. The key for this to work was having a good anchor point at the top of the ramp. Is there any point to keeping the boat asan antique, or should I upgrade? The Flying Scot is a welcoming and affordable class, that aims to grow the sport of sailing and its diversity. The suspension gives the boat a smooth, soft ride. Moving up the tonnage spectrum theres the Corsair line, which includes the 24-foot Dash 750 MKII, and Farrier Marines F-22. Closed-cell foam fore and aft makes the boat unsinkable, and thanks to its hard chine, the boat is reportedly quite stable under way. Can anyone please provide dimensions to their trailer? Whats the smallest vehicle you have pulled or seen? If you can sail (or paddle) to a real ramp maybe it is easier to move the trailer and vehicle there? In the cuddy cabin youll find sitting headroom, a pair of bunks, a portable toilet, optional shore and DC power, and an impressive amount of storage space. catalinayachts.com, No roundup of best small sailboats (trailerable and fun too) would be complete without a mention of the venerable Hobie 16, which made its debut in Southern California way back in 1969. It was this mistakefailing to untie the read more, After four long months poised to spring into action at the first sign of the right weather window, Spindrift has announced that its record-breaking circumnavigation attempt wont be possible this year. Cruising World may receive financial compensation for products purchased through this site. I can not express how thrilled I am with Flying Scot! document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Flying Scot Inc.| 800-864-7208 | 301-334-4848 | info@flyingscot.com, Be the first to review Galvanized Steel Trailer, Hull, Rudder, Centerboard & Deck Fittings. Mad Sails built in Madison, WI and Load Rite Trailer built in Fairless Hills, PA. . Haveing a slightly shorter trailer helps in launching . Description This is the aluminum extrusion plus the masthead, bottom plug, and gooseneck track. But Malizia is far from the only team struggling to keep their boat in good read more, Get your ground tackle setup right, and youll sleep much easier while youre cruising. And now for something completely different. We have a 1985 tee nee trailer and live in Vermont. Tyler Andrews was able to take his considerable experience and design a boat to match our general description: detune racing model rather than building up a recreational model. 4mm / 5mm Robline Sirius 500. The rigging and fixtures are antique. However, if you are going to be sailing primarily by yourself, you may want to start with a cat rigged boat. Ground tackle is a complete system, including the anchor itself, the rode (chain, rope, or some combination thereof, read more, French builder Dufour Yachts has rolled out another new design bringing their line to eight models from 32 to 61 feet. We keep her on Lake Bomomoseen, also in Vermont. The boat is kept in a yard right off of the water where it can be easily rolled over to a gentle ramp with a trailer dolly. If theres a downside to these boats it is that they tend to be pricey, especially those including lavish amounts of teak and varnished mahogany topsides. Talk about time-tested, the 19-foot Flying Scot has been in production since 1957 and remains a popular design today. In a word, sailing a Beetle Cat is fun. I think you could make this work. It joins a line that includes the WR16 and WR17 trimarans. Novice sailors or old salts looking for simplicity could both enjoy sailing the Hunter 15. BTW, the VW actually adjusts the shift points, engine controls, and braking/stability control, when you connect a trailer. Billed as a trailerable pocket cruiser, the Montgomery 17 is a stout-looking sloop designed by Lyle Hess and built out of fiberglass in Ontario, California, by Montgomery Boats. Montgomery makes 15-foot and 23-foot models, as well. We've never cut corners here at Flying Scot Inc, and we never will. The boat is designed with positive flotation and offers good load-carrying capacity, which you could put to use if you added the available canvas work and camping tent. The boat, likely a 30-footer and more often a 40-footer, will have electronics for navigation and entertainment, refrigeration if the trip is longer than a coastal hop, an engine for light wind, and, depending on our appetites for food and fun, perhaps a genset to power our toys and appliances. Website by, STORE - Join, Renew, Donate or Purchase Items, Caveat Emptor - Boats and Parts For Sale by Boat Owners, Merchandse from Coral Reef Sailing Apparel, FSSA - The Flying Scot Sailing Association, Owning, Rigging, and Sailing the Flying Scot, PULLING A SCOT OUT OF WATER WITHOUT A TOW VEHICLE, Looking for Clubs to host our National Events, 2023 Midwinters at Bay Waveland Yacht Club, Bay St.Louis, Mississippi, 2023 NAC, Lake Norman Yacht Club, Mooresville, NC, 2023 Junior NAC - Cedar Point Yacht Club, Westport, CT, 2023 Women's NAC at Westhampton Yacht Squadron, Remsenburg, NY, 2023 NERD at Saratoga Lake Sailing Club, Balston Spa, NY, 2023 ACC at Lavallette Yacht Club, Lavalette, NJ, 2023 Wife Husband Championship, Birmingham Sailing Club, AL, 2024 Wife Husband Championship, Atlanta Yacht Club. . Add in the optional performance package, which includes an asymmetric spinnaker, a pole, and a mainsheet traveler, and you could be off to the races. Recent Shipments include: Flying Scot, - shipped from Huntersville, North Carolina to Bay St. Louis, Mississippi For the sake of argument, lets say a daysailer should be easy to rig and sail, preferably single or doublehanded, in fairly close quarterssay, a small lake or a tight anchorage. Sign up for our monthly newsletter from the factory. Belowdecks, the twin 6-foot-5-inch berths and many other features and amenities make this cat a willing weekender. Sailboat Trailers & Dollies; Trapeze Equipment; Wind Indicators; Sailing Gear . This trailer is standard with all new Flying Scots. If we're going local, or Jersey Shore, we can use either. Please note: some drilling is required. I had a feeling it was doable but there's nothing like real world experience to confirm hunches. Shallow U.S. East Coast bays and rock-strewn coasts have long been graced by cat boats, whose large, gaff-rigged mainsails proved simple and powerful both on the wind and, better yet, when reaching and running. A Prius is not recommended towing on the highway. Todays modern classics look as good as they sail, maybe even better: (clockwise from top) the 23-foot Marlin, W.D. Sandy made our motto in 1957 and we build the same quality boat that we did back then. The boat displaces 850lb (386kg) and has foam flotation under the seats for safety. The galvanized steel trailer is specifically designed for the Flying Scot and is manufactured by Load Rite. Easy to rig and trailer, the BayRaider from England's Swallow Yachts is a relative newcomer to the small-boat market in the United States. Similarly, the needle-like Dragon was originally designed with two berths for the express purpose of cruising its home waters on the Norwegian coast. [9][10], In a 1994 review Richard Sherwood wrote, "a big, fast centerboard boat, the Flying Scot has an unusual reverse sheer. Is the Hobie 16 beach cat a daysailer? For anyone else facing a similar challenge, I picked up a 4 way block and tackle from Amazon (link) and it made the task of both launching and retrieving the boat & trailer manageable by just myself and a helper (wife/teenaged son/etc). The Flying Scot is a very stable, easy to sail and rig. Recently, in a vain effort to impose some order on the concept, we decided to break up the universe of daysailers into six categories. The ample freeboard and wide beam provide stability under way, and the heavy-duty rubrail and kick-up rudder mean that you wont have to worry when the dock looms or the going grows shallow. And yet, over the years the term daysailer has come to include boats spanning the length and breadth of yacht design. The BayRaider is ketch-rigged with a gunter-style mainmast. In that case, well see your skepticism and raise it one Hobie Mirage trimaran, complete with paddles, peddle power and a sailing rig. The trailer comes complete with wooden cat walk down the center and steel steps mounted to the outside for easy entry to the boat when it is on the trailer. My buddy was like what if we can't get her back to the car? Interestingly, in recent years, a number of sailors have also taken to modifying the hyper-competitive Etchells for daysailer use. Chaparral Boats builds quality family boats in a variety of configurations like Ski & Wake, Deck Boats, Bowriders and Cruisers. The Flying Scot fleet is ideal for sailors at any skill level. Fitness fanatic Steve Randall . Spend your time sailinginstead of working on the boat. I love the older posts with people commenting that their old corrolla's and such did fine. $36,000 (starting), 902-659-2790, norseboat.com. I have been to regattas where they have used small lawn tractors to ramp-launch boats, to save space and not have cars running around the launch area. RESTORED Classic Flying Scot produced by Gordon Douglas Boat Co. Comes complete ready for the water! Rigging is relatively simple, and the class rules discourage complexity. Known primarily for its line of racing dinghys, RS Sailing also builds the 16-foot, 4-inch Venture, which it describes as a cruising and training dinghy. This list is made up of all types of sailboats, and if youre looking for a list of some of the best small sailboats for beginners, youll find exactly that here.