Furthermore, if you're working in an older home KERDI-BOARD fits better than cement board in odd spaces. The type of bonding mortar used to apply KERDI must be suitable for the substrate and must penetrate and engage the membrane fleece. Been clankin' away at this computer for a couple of hours now, guys. The big issue with cement board is that the thinset will skin over really quickly. We just went through a learning curve on the Kerdi and Hardi. The kerdi membrane will probably do the same, and its regularly installed over drywall which is probably less stable. While cement board may be the most common and widely-known tile substrate, Kerdi Board is giving it a run for its money. We like that the Kerdi membrane material installs easily over almost any substrate, including standard wallboard. My understanding is that Schluter-Kerdi, being a sheet topical membrane, recommends just going with regular drywall instead of cement board but you can certainly use cement board as the substrate. Kerdi-Shower-T/-TS/-TT is a prefabricated sloped shower tray with integrated Kerdi waterproofing. Kerdi is not a user friendly product, and when you shrink your working time down it is downright stressful. It is lightweight and made of expanded polystyrene. ! Cementboard sufficient to a tub surround is dirt cheap .vs. Applying a conventional cement backer board to such a structure is almost impossible. you should still water proof with a liquid membrane product like RedGuard. We apply the thinset the recommended trowel, can't remember what size off the top of my head, in small sections and by the time my husband hands my the piece of membrane the thinset is not skinned over but certainly dry. The surface of Wedi is perfect for bonding. These multifunctional tile substrate and building panels are thus perfect for creating bonded waterproofing assemblies with tile coverings. Backerboard plus a waterproofing membrane like Redgard is all that is needed for tub surrounds with thinset then tile. Install an Uncoupling Membrane Between Concrete and Tile. There is definitely skill & planning required to doit right. Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon exprience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et amliorer ses produits et services. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. To put things into perspective, consider that a tile floor is made up of three layers: the subfloor, the underlayment, and the tile surface you walk on. Glass mat gypsum board is a better choice. How to follow the signal when reading the schematic? Firstly, it is important to ensure the wall is adequately prepared and that it is smooth, flat and free of defects. But that doesn't address your question, so it's just a comment, not an answer as such. The core isnt waterproof, but it can withstand getting wet without falling apart, so even if your waterproofing system leaks, the board will stay intact. Schluter SET, ALL-SET, FAST-SET or an unmodified thin-set mortar must be used to construct all KERDI seams to ensure watertightperformance of the system. As far as the tile/prep work, you are right that he is shifting the blame. When it comes to selecting thinset for cement board, there are a few important factors to consider. Well, DH said he had virtually no time to work with the stuff before it dried out, so he switched from my spritz bottle to a sponge. Gettin' a little delirious. It also helped me to work in smaller sheets. You absolutely need to include some sort of substrate (cement board, green board, regular drywall) with the Schluter-Kerdi waterproofing kit. 1. Or will the Kerdi membrane (with seams taped with kerdi band) prevent each board from moving independently? We installed cement board on the walls, and today when we attempted to apply the Kerdi membrane we could not get it to adhere. Yes, Hardie board needs to be waterproofed. Should I redo this wall to avoid a mold sandwich? Fiber cement board is a variation of cement board that is made from compressed cement and sand and reinforced with wood fibers throughout. Foam-core tile backing board has two big advantages over other backer boards. Your real issues are the lack of proper corners on this shower. This will help protect the cement board from water damage, and is often a specific type of coating designed for use with cement boards. Builder saying he doesn't want to put my trim tile in here. For indoor projects and gypsum board, thinset with a latex acrylic modifier is ideal. Cut the Kerdi membrane to size using a utility knife or scissors. The benefit of using kerdi is we can lay it over drywall, We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. Additionally, a liquid water-resistant membrane should be applied over all surface areas before installation. Also are you saying that you wet ("booking the Kerdi") the Kerdi, as well? To install Kerdi Membrane, start by applying Schulter ALL-SET mortar (or similar) to your cement board substrate using a 1/4" x 3/16" V-Notch Trowel. Once the wall is prepped, use a primer that is compatible with the KERDI membrane so that it will properly adhere to the wall. Once all areas have been properly waterproofed, the walls can be tiled and grouted to create a waterproof surface. But I did want to understand the cost breakdown as the walls then become WAY more expensive than it would be with Redguard. One of the major benefits of opting for Kerdi Board over cement board is the ease of installation. Cement board and grout are not water proof, if there's Kerdi no moisture is ever going to be able to get behind it. Allow the adhesive to cure for the amount of time recommended by the adhesives manufacturer. vegan) just to try it, does this inconvenience the caterers and staff? Kerdi can be installed first on drywall or cement board. I hang Kerdi on cement board and fibercement board all the time. I agree that gypsum seems very questionable anywhere in the wet areas of a shower. It also features fleece webbing that allows for effective anchoring into thin-set mortar. Kerdi really offers very little advantage over hardiboard plus membrane. For the floor, he should've put a mortar bed, then a membrane that goes over the curb, then another mortar bed. BTW the older Kerdi thread referencedwas excellent. All it takes is the right preparation. If you want added info there's an old Kerdi thread here. Using self-leveling underlayment takes careful prep work. The gridlines printed on the surface are beneficial for the installation process, also allowing for quick, neat cuts with a utility knife. It doesn't matter but you absolutely need to use both a substrate and a waterproofing membrane. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[580,400],'remodelormove_com-leader-2','ezslot_21',165,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-remodelormove_com-leader-2-0');Once the seams are sealed, lay down a waterproof coating to the floor and walls of the shower space. Start by cleaning the cement board with a mineral oil soap; this will help reduce mold and mildew growth throughout the life of the shower. Additionally, it is important to waterproof cement board before tiling, as the grout and tiles can help keep the board watertight. Putting this stuff on walls is difficult and time . is the contractor creating a waterproof schluter-kerdi shower? @JimmyFix-it - hardiboard is not really porous unless it is completely saturated. This allows the cement to properly hydrate, resulting in a strong, dense bond coat. Do I have to use Kerdi tape with Ditra membrane? We don't expect people to master this and in fact I know maybe two guys in my area (live in big city) that could do this. Finally, it is important to remember that any thin-set that has been exposed to moisture must be replaced. What? It could take longer if the space is particularly wet or humid. Your Get free, zero-commitment quotes from pro contractors near you. I have corrugated metal shower surround & grab bars. In order to determine which tile underlayment is right for your project, you need to know which issue youre trying to solve whether its preventing subfloor cracks from transferring to the tile, soundproofing, moisture protection, or providing more rigidity to the tile. This is often accomplished by filling any holes and cracks in the wall with appropriate spackling or patching material. When applying Kerdi membrane to cement board, the edges and seams of the membrane must be lapped, meaning that each layer should overlap the portion underneath it by a minimum of two inches. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. What to use to flatten and prep wall before installing Schluter Kerdi membrane for tiling? Install the Schluter Kerdi membrane over the backer board using the correct mortar. Kerdi Board is also significantly lighter in terms of weight than cement board, meaning they can be transported and lifted into place with ease evening hauling five panels at a time should be no problem. Step 8: Allow to dry. Thanks to Mongo's earlier post, we knew we'd have to spritz the Hardi -- but found that even that wasn't quite enough. ", Signed,Never Hung Kerdi A Day In Her Life. True cement board (Durck, Wonderboard) is my first choice as a tile or Kerdi backer. Spacers are the next step. Should I use Kerdi membrane or cement backerboard? We are DIYers who have already remodeled one bathroom successfully, but this is our first time using The Schluter shower system. Another advantage is that the polyisocyanurate core of foam boards is waterproof. The difference between the phonemes /p/ and /b/ in Japanese. #4 You could be adding a good 1000 pounds to your install too. Schulter Ditra is manufactured by Schluter Systems and is a 1/8 thick polyethylene uncoupling membrane that is specifically designed for tile installations. If you can avoid that, the demo would be ~easy enough to maybe have some friends who'd work for beer come over and help you knock it out. A successful tile installation largely depends on the substrate that the tile is attached to. Will use the Schluter Shower system. Once this is done, continue the installation by following the directions for the particular Kerdi product being used. Following the correct application of Kerdi membrane over cement board will ensure a successful waterproofing installation and lasting results for your tile project. For the floor I make a dry mix mud base and then the Kerdi membrane. There are numerous ways to do this. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. Hi.I have a unique situation. This is necessary to ensure that the membrane will adhere properly to the drywall. If a pipe or faucet ever leaks in the wall this will ruin your shower. Modified thin-set mortars must dry for the polymers to coalesce and form a hard . . is that because water doesn't really hit that area?" - Lisa Jasper That's pushing it but should be fine. Both Kerdi Board and cement board are designed to smooth out uneven spots on the installation surface, create an unbending layer that wont flex underfoot, and also provide a waterproof barrier. I would get someone else. The boards come in three-foot by five-foot and four-foot by eight-foot panels, sized for efficient use in bathrooms. 4. Installation instructions vary depending on the type of Kerdi membrane being used, but typically the membrane is applied directly to a clean, dry plywood surface that is free from dust, dirt, and other debris. On a vertical surface, very little moisture . What are the differences between "paperless drywall" and "cement board"? I still wet the walls first. (3ft-3in wide). RedGard can be used on a wide range of interior and exterior surfaces. It allows you to easily and quickly create tile-ready elements in bathtub surrounds and platforms, vanities, showers, shelving, and much more. The site is called floorelf.com. tripadvisor car rental tampa airport xnxx big tits; roommate questionnaire google form shadow of the dragon queen deluxe; cities where home prices are rising 2022 beachbody bodi block; mahogany tree seeds uses I've seen preferences regarding HardieBacker and the cement board products such as Wonder Board. Tile Shower SurroundCement Backerboard Location? The shower is ready for tile. While cement board and grout are not waterproof, Kerdi is and can even be directly installed over drywall. To waterproof Hardie board, you should choose a quality sealer that is designed for use on cement-based sidings. Will be doing a bathroom gut and will be laying durock cement board over plywood sub floor. Hang the cement boar. Kerdi-Board is an extruded polystyrene foam panel, with reinforcing material on both sides, covered by fleece webbing for effective anchoring of thin-set mortar. You provide the pitch during the tile set. It's a lightweight polystyrene board faced with Kerdi that comes in various thicknesses that you can use in place of drywall or cement board. If you can paint a wall, you can use RedGard. Kerdi Board as a whole is much easier to install than Cement Board. I look at ceramic tile as a lifetime-of the house-product, so I use the best material for the job.I prefer to use cement board as the substrate with the Kerdi on top. Kerdi membrane can be used on cement board, drywall, and, as you may have guessed- greenboard. Find the website that's made specifically for you. Ideally the DalSeal TS would fold into the gap between the wall and ceiling concrete board. Is it plausible for constructed languages to be used to affect thought and control or mold people towards desired outcomes? . This creates a strong, waterproof tile backer that also functions as an uncoupling membrane.