They are Tamiya kits, albeit from nearly 30 years ago. In the years that followed, Boyington refused to acknowledge his former sweetheart. 20112022 Gaijin Games Kft. But dammit, I'll crawl like a Marine. For the rest of the weathering, I did some panel line work with thinned oils, along with a bit of additional streaking around hatches, etc. It took a bit careful placement of the fingers and thumbs to line everything up, ensure everything was level, and not create any finger prints in the plastic. The Vought F4U Corsair is an American fighter aircraft that saw service primarily in World War II and the Korean War. See the Montex mask above? They have a lot of ready-made sets based off actual kit decals, as well as several sets of standalone markings. (LogOut/ The Tamiya Corsair is a fine model. All other primed surfaces would have one or two coats of yellow zinc chromate. F4U-1A Corsair cockpit set for Trumpeter Number: 2021 Scale: 1:32 Type: Detail set Barcode: 8591150003710 (EAN) Topic: Vought F4U Corsair Propeller (Aircraft) Designed for. Early F4U-1A's may have been Salmon. North American B-25J Mitchell Bottoms Up II, Republic P-47D-27 Thunderbolt in French Service, Messerschmitt Bf 109G-4/R6 Regia Aeronautica, Achilles Mk.IIc 17-Pounder Self-Propelled Gun, For reasons Ive gone into at length before, I prefer to prime in black, https://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=22782. Airbrushing Basics Diluting and Spraying Acrylics Chipping w/ Gunze Silver, Polishing Clear Parts Testing Mission Models Paints Airbrush Cleaning, Me-109 V-Tail Build Macchi Saetta Desert Scheme Fw-190 V-18 Build, Micron Masking Tape Harder-Steenbeck Infinity Spraying Mission Chrome, And my personal favourite: Matching the Needle Size and Dilution to the Job at Hand. Top customer satisfaction 4,2/5. Hi, Jennings, I know, I was in a rush to give what I was hoping would be some useful information. RE: Corsair Paint Schemes The new Hanger 9 Corsair is nice it is the scheme of Joe Tobul's F4u4 that crashed and he died in last year at an air show in NC.Thats me and and Joe Tobul's Korean war Hero F4u4 at an air show at Frederick Maryland 2yrs ago Attached Thumbnails Reply Like 11-19-2003, 06:47 PM # 7 RCHYFLYER Senior Member My Feedback: ( 1 ) A team of enthusiats at your service. U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) fighter ace Gregory Pappy Boyington (Dec. 4, 1912 Jan. 11, 1988) was initially a USMC aviator with the Pacific fleet before being recruited by the legendary Flying Tigers (1st American Volunteer Group) in the Republic of China Air Force in Burma at the end of 1941 and part of 1942, during the military conflict between China and Japan, and the beginning of World War II. The early F4U's (the Island based Marine units) Had a paint schemed compries of: 1 Insignia white 2 Intermediate Blue ( I think this color is also called "non-specular sea blue", If I am wrong. Cart (866) 580-8727 +1 602-635-4646. When I built the 1/48 Corsair I decanted the exact spray Tamiya instructed us to use and that wasinterestingto say the least. Im about to build Tamiyas 1/48th scale little brother. The three color scheme was dark sea blue and intermediate blue over white. The notes for this aircraft in the sheet instructions state that it is a Goodyear FG-1D and that I should paint the "Wheel hubs, gearlegs, and gearbays in GSB". Why two, you ask? Landing gear: Light Gray or Aluminum Lacquer. The one seam I had to work on was the underbelly but using Mr. Surfacer 1500 and a variety of sanding sticks did the trick. The result? Demand for the aircraft soon overwhelmed Vought's manufacturing capability resulting in production by Goodyear and Brewster. Anyone know where I can find this skin? ChrisK89, John B has never built a Corsair in his life. Know that there is a fairly large difference in the Dark Sea Blue coloring (Shading) from Tamiya to Model Masters. The possible exceptions to this are the very late F4U-2s (which may have arrived for conversion already in the now-fully-defined Corsair paint scheme we all are familiar with), the 2 -2 conversions that were done in-theatre with F4U-1A airframes, and the very first F4U-2. I've heard of folks using the Testors Enamel from Wal-Mart but they have a pretty limited selection of colors. I used combinations of rust-colored Tamiya Weathering Masters and Vallejo pigments to detail the exhaust stacks. worth the wait. Time and effort here can lead to a great model afterwards. I don't recall seeing the F4U in an Atlantic I or II scheme, but it's possible. This is an extreme case. Vought F4U Corsair Vought F4U-1 Corsair US Marine Corps Aviation (1912-now) VMF-213 Dafne C (Capt. They still hold up in terms of quality and ease of build when compared to newer tooled kits. The vinyl masks for the roundels were placed first. This time I didnt let the white paint go too far outside their intended resting spots on the wing, allowing the blue to cover the edges. The no-slip walkways in particular I wanted to show as scuffed and a bit faded, so I went with a dark gray, then attacked it with a wet, stiff brush as soon as the masking was pulled away. It was a difficult scheme to apply in practice, and no two aircraft looked exactly alike. I have also received the same kits you have and have been looking in to the color schemes. No one makes it but Testors Model Master RLM23 is close. on Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all Modelers Everywhere!! Dear customers, if you do not have a registration at the new e-shop, you need to register again. Plug-in two-piece wing; A quick build, full scale composite ARF. F4U-1A Cockpit Eduard. This resulted in another case of subtractive masking. As Birdcage Corsairs go, there are several other worthy items of note. 20112022 Gaijin Games Kft. Aircraft deployed in the Atlantic had only black numbers above their gray-white paint scheme and were therefore easily recognized as such. Thanks to Aptivaboy, I was able to get in touch with Bob and we had some very good conversations about the early Corsairs. Over the entirety of the model, I used highly thinned paint and did some light shading with an almost buff color to simulate sun fading. This time I spent more time on the Internet looking up paint mix schemes and settled on these mixes for the AS paints: AS6 Olive Drab = XF62AS7 Neutral Gray = XF53AS8 Navy Blue = XF17:5 + AF8:3 + AF2:2AS9 Dark Green = XF58:1 + XF62:5AS10 Ocean Gray = XF18:1 + XF-21:2 + XF24:2 AS11 Medium Sea Gray = XF19:3 + XF54:5AS19 Intermediate Blue (US Navy) = XF18:5 + XF2:4AS20 Insignia White (US Navy) = XF2:10 + XF55:1AS22 Dark Earth = XF52:1 + XF64:1, I decided I wanted to build a fairly weathered Corsairmaybe not as nasty as they were early in the warbut definitely cruddy looking. New tool New parts New decals. Theres really not much to say here in terms of technique, trials, or tribulations. I broke out my computer, fired up the Cricut Design Space software, found suitable files online, and created a template for masks to paint on the markings. That kicks me into an entirely new level of modeling. Step one for me was cleaning up the parts and deciding how I was going to approach the building stage of the kit. As I did the bottom of the plane (see slide two above) I used too much paint (this is a reoccurring theme here) and actually wiped off parts of the underside multiple times. F4U-1 Corsairs of VF-12 in the two tone paint scheme of Blue Gray and Light Gray F4U-1D Corsair of VMF-114 taxis at Peleliu - September 1944 F4U Corsair of VBF-85 lost its tail USS Shangri La CV-38 August 9, 1945 F4U Corsairs on the flight deck of the aircraft carrier If you get a chance to build a model of a plane for the guy who actually flew it, take the opportunity while you can. For the most part, the pattern was the same on both aircraft (18 and 831) when it came to the engine cowling and outer half of the underside of the wing. Once I was satisfied with the primer coverage on both models, I let them sit for approx. . The Navy F4U-2s were not as well-documented as the Marine land-based ones. Vought F4U-4 Corsair. One of the useful aspects of the Vought F4U Corsair's long career is that it can be used to illustrate three decades of U.S. Navy color schemes and markings. Now you can buy specialty products that do the same thing (at a much higher cost per oz/gram of course) BTWthe H&S Evolution I'm working with is excellent but at some point yesterday I tipped the bowl over far enough and a lot of paint ran down the front of the brush into the nozzle area. . In this instance, I placed the mask and then it sat on the model for several days while the rest of the painting was one. Almost all were finished in the overall glossy Sea Blue scheme. 1) The USN/USMC started using the tri-color scheme in February of 1943, so the first F4U-1Ds would have been delivered in this scheme. Dave Hansens Answer About F4U-2 paintschemes, Follow My Forgotten Hobby on WordPress.com, My Forgotten Hobby III The sequel to My Forgotten Hobby II, Intermission Monsterkit in stop motion: WWII british Nightbomber AVRO Lancaster in 1/32 from BorderModel. His writing has appeared in The National Interest and other news media. My primer of choice? Let that dry and then remove the saltdamp cloth w/broad brush. In US service the F4Ustarted its' career in Blue Gray over Light Gray. I SHOULD have used the term de-gas I suppose. AIR FORCE, unit markings, Read More, Parameters for authorizing operating a US Navy submarine reactor plant above practicable design limits is Read More, Additionally, 1.3 million of those five million flight hours were accomplished during combat. (Vought had an exemption - they applied the first coat, then stamped it with a black marking if a second coat was to be applied. The only spot of semi-trouble was the join of the outer and inner wings. The next time I applied air there was this Jackson Pollack blast-mist of green spray paint that covered these parts in spotsI chuckled, used a little thinner to make the spots less conspicuous and moved on. Select Your Scale. thats a new one no seriously never seen that on a blue grey F4U -1 /1A..or even a tri colour of any type (Editors Note: Mat Mottle Man Mathis is back with not 1 but 2 (II, two) 1/48 Tamiya Corsairs; each sporting a very attractive but seldom seen scheme. Oops. The 32nd scale Tamiya kit made a lot of sense, because its the best Corsair out there, its a fun build, and its large and impressive enough that a lot of detail can be seen without being too hard on the eyesight. This custom-made Vought F4U-1 Corsair "Movie Devotion" model aircraft is an exquisite and detailed replica. All rights reserved. The other weathering technique is purely accidental. By This Corsair photo exactly matches the paint scheme of our plane as it was displayed at one of David Tallichet's restaurants. The show lasted three seasons and propelled Boyington back into the national spotlight, making him a popular attraction at air shows across the country. Thanks for the help so far, but i already have nearly all Tamiya paints i need for these builds (interior colors etc.). The one on the first photo is F4U-1, the other picture of the same plane clearly shows that wheel well covers are in the belly color, and both main and tail wells are primed (so it should be salmon): Theres something about looking into a tiny cockpit and seeing the tiny switches, a well-placed set of seat and shoulder harness and a clear canopy/windows. Gunze Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500, sprayed through an airbrush. Learn how your comment data is processed. His plane looked a little something like this, Corsairs # 10, #9, and #11 aboard USS Intrepid. The gloss quickly faded with exposure to the elements. There are Radar Altimeter Antennae fitted to the fuselage keel as well as a transponder antenna (not visible). Over that went some Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Green, which does a great impression of yellow zinc chromate. There is definitely a change in colour between the flanks of the fuselage and the spine of the fuselage and people have differing opinions what may cause this. The actual Corsairs engine was a beast and the gull-wing shape is due to the speed requirement of the contract forcing a mid-wing configuration and because the engine required a huge propeller, a design engineer, on a scratch pad, designed the iconic design. In 1976, NBC launched a weekly action-adventure series called Baa, Baa, Black Sheep, loosely based on Greg Boyington's autobiography of the same name. This is well beyond my expertise. I did the best I could to remove the adhesive using mechanical means and was able to remove the majority. Very late F4U-2s, such as Everett Vaughns Shirley June (which may have been the second -2 to have that name) featured the very clearly delineated separation between the Non Spec Sea Blue, Intermediate Blue, and White on the fuselage that we all have in our minds eye when we think of a three-tone Corsair. 5) The canopy appears to have been retrofitted with additional armor plate (The unmentioned Part E23 in the Tamiya kit). And keep looking because he and other's have some great Corsair builds going. The first Corsairs sent to England were all white. After this it was time to start slinging colors! on Dr. Strangebrush Goes On the Bench with the Chaps from Down Under, on The Dragon 1/35 SdKfz 234/4 Panzersphwagen. I am looking to tfigure out the best way to match colors for airbrushing for flat aircraft colors. My best guess is the VF(N)-101 planes either had the very highly blended scheme where the Non Spec Sea Blue blends very broadly with the Intermediate Blue, or the intermediate blue sides were overpainted, probably with semi gloss sea blue or Fresh Non Spec Sea Blue. And then you have foreign users Fleet Air Arm Corsairs were Slate Greyand Dark Sea Grey over Sky, a very good looking scheme. First, I placed the lines themselves, then I masked around them, and finally pulled them up. It was taken while VMF-214 was on R&R, between VMF-214s first and 203215559383 Afterwards you can over spray with a clear flat/matt. It appears to have carried its Sea Gray over Light Aircraft Gray paint scheme for its entire life. Getting the right amount of weathering takes time and patience. After careful consideration, i decided Id build an F4U-2 for him. The same paints are needed for VMF-111 (F4U-1A) but shouldn't there be any differences in tonal variations cause of early and late versions of these colors? The arguments for this are many, mainly shading at scale from what I gather. Copyright 2023 Model Paint Solutions. It would be like my own little Vought assembly line! F4U-4 Propeller and Cowling Set True Details. Would it be better to get the equivalent MrPaint colors instead of MMP for this cause of "smooth edges" on these schemes?